PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Monistat Users!

blondie9912
September 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Hi guys! In desperation to grow my APL hair, I have started looking into Monistat. In this thread, I'm looking for people who USE Monistat (not those who are 'thinking' about using it, 'want' to use it, have 'heard' of people who've used it, etc) If anyone has any questions about it, here's the link to the Monistat thread, http://longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156&page=330, so you can discuss it there :)

I'm creating this thread solely as a means to see what kind of RESULTS people have had using Monistat or any other Miconozole Nitrate product to grow their hair. Since, on the other thread, I found some people posting results, but mainly it was people asking questions (which frankly, I didn't have the time to weed through)

Because of that, I ask that ONLY those ALREADY using MN post their results here :)

I would love it if all the users that come across this thread answer these questions:

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using?
2) How often do you apply?
3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted?
4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth?

And most importantly...
5) How fast did your hair grow each month while using MN regularly!?!

I look forward to hearing about everyone's results! Thank you so much for reading this, hopefully once I figure out how to use this stuff my hair will grow like a dandelion :pray:

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
I'll be interested to see the replies here too. I love the big monistat thread but it's a bit overwhelming!

My situation is a little different since I've started out by just using monistat to regrow my receding hairline. It's a big commitment and since I only wash every 2 weeks or less often, I didn't want to add it to my entire scalp before seeing actual visable results. My results have impressed me enough that I'm thinking of adding it to my whole scalp, but not sure if I'll have the energy to keep up with more frequent scalp washings.

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? - name brand Monistat, the lowest concentration (I'd have to get up and go get it to check, but I know it's the lowest one, probably the 7 day). I tried an off-brand first, and it made me break out pretty badly so I switched.

2) How often do you apply? Almost every day

3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? Undiluted, about half a pea-sized amount since I'm just doing my forehead, massaged in.

4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? I think it was around 3 weeks that I started wondering if I was imagining the peach fuzz baby hairs at my temples. By about 4.5 weeks I started seeing baby hairs at the top of my forehead too and knew I wasn't imagining the difference. Now it's been maybe 2 months or so. They're getting thicker and longer, but still baby fine and nearly invisible. Still, worth it for me to continue and I hope they fill in more!

raishalini11
September 23rd, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hi,

Pls count me in...I'm desperate to grow my hair and counting on MN..

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? - I use generic one which has just Miconazole Nitrate 2% and water miscible base, couldn't find 4%.
2) How often do you apply? - Everyday
3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? - undiluted
4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? - It's just been 4 days of application and I can see the roots as I apply henna too.. Maybe I am dreaming :rolleyes:

And most importantly...
5) How fast did your hair grow each month while using MN regularly!?! Without MN its approx .5" in a month so will check after 25 days the actual growth after MN

bratz81
September 23rd, 2011, 01:49 AM
I've just started using it around 2-3 weeks now. So I can't give you any concrete growth stats but I think I'm shedding less and my hair feels a bit thicker so far.

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? - I use Daktarin, which is the UK version of Monistat and has Miconazole Nitrate 2% (the standard?)

2) How often do you apply? - 3/4 times a week when I know I'm washing my hair

3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? - diluted in a mixture of grapeseed oil, castor oil and lavender oil to smell yum.

4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? - It's just been 2/3 weeks using but am shedding less and my hair feels thinking. Think I can also see roots as I can see my grey coming back!

And most importantly...
Well, it's usually around 0.5inch a month *I think* so will check back after using it for another few weeks.

bunzfan
September 23rd, 2011, 02:09 AM
I used it last year for 3 months i used to dilute it and apply three times a week and i was able to go from bearly APL to BSL in 3 months.

I am back on this as my hair is growing but not quick enough for me. I am applying it 2-3 times a week in my own solution of castor oil,rooibos tea,castor oil, mn

I will post resuts this time next month, but seriously ladies in my opinion this works:)

Shelly
September 23rd, 2011, 04:15 AM
I've been applying MN to my whole scalp for a week now. I haven't measured or anything to know how much growth I have actually gotten. I'll measure again on October 1 and will know then. That will be exactly 2 weeks of applying it every other day. I will report my results as soon as I measure.

WaitingSoLong
September 23rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Monistat (name brand) 2%, diluted with water so it can be applied easier.
Twice a week
Diluted
No noticeable change

And most importantly...
My hair still stubbronly grows about 1/2" per month

I have tried many hair-accelerating things and not one single one has affected my hair growth rate, negatively or positively, EVER.

But to reiterate what I have said in other posts, if your hair is already growing at optimal rate because you eat healthy, etc. then you really cannot gain anything.

ETA: I will give Monistat kudos for hair REgrowth, the new baby hairs, but they still only grow at 1/2" per month.

Maybe I would get better results if I did not dilute it but I cannot seem to apply it to just my scalp this way, I use it diluted in a hair-dye applicator bottle to squirt it directly on my scalp and massage in. I only dilute it as little as I need to be able to do this, but it is a 50/50 mix (or thereabouts)

smilinjenn71
September 23rd, 2011, 06:39 AM
The first time I grew out I used:

Generic 2% - Undiluted - approx. 3/4" growth in a month
Name brand 4% - Diluted and Undiluted - solid 1" in a month

I found that I got better results with name brand 4% but that upon stopping treatment, growth stalled slightly. I don't use it anymore from sheer laziness.:p Perhaps partly too because I'm more relaxed about growing out this time. I just recognize how long it takes to grow out and am much more patient this go 'round.

Airmide
September 23rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have another question - does everyone only apply right before a wash, or are there ways of not looking so greasy and extending washes?

HairFaerie
September 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? Generic Miconazole 4%
2) How often do you apply? 3-4 times per week
3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? I like to mix a tiny bit of castor oil with it.
4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? About two weeks.

And most importantly...
5) How fast did your hair grow each month while using MN regularly!?! At least 1"

blondie9912
September 24th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'll be interested to see the replies here too. I love the big monistat thread but it's a bit overwhelming!

My situation is a little different since I've started out by just using monistat to regrow my receding hairline. It's a big commitment and since I only wash every 2 weeks or less often, I didn't want to add it to my entire scalp before seeing actual visable results. My results have impressed me enough that I'm thinking of adding it to my whole scalp, but not sure if I'll have the energy to keep up with more frequent scalp washings.

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? - name brand Monistat, the lowest concentration (I'd have to get up and go get it to check, but I know it's the lowest one, probably the 7 day). I tried an off-brand first, and it made me break out pretty badly so I switched.

2) How often do you apply? Almost every day

3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? Undiluted, about half a pea-sized amount since I'm just doing my forehead, massaged in.

4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? I think it was around 3 weeks that I started wondering if I was imagining the peach fuzz baby hairs at my temples. By about 4.5 weeks I started seeing baby hairs at the top of my forehead too and knew I wasn't imagining the difference. Now it's been maybe 2 months or so. They're getting thicker and longer, but still baby fine and nearly invisible. Still, worth it for me to continue and I hope they fill in more!

Wow, that's great that its working for you! You definitely don't need it for the extra length, your hair is stunning :)

Hi,

Pls count me in...I'm desperate to grow my hair and counting on MN..

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? - I use generic one which has just Miconazole Nitrate 2% and water miscible base, couldn't find 4%.
2) How often do you apply? - Everyday
3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? - undiluted
4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? - It's just been 4 days of application and I can see the roots as I apply henna too.. Maybe I am dreaming :rolleyes:

And most importantly...
5) How fast did your hair grow each month while using MN regularly!?! Without MN its approx .5" in a month so will check after 25 days the actual growth after MN

riashalini, I have the same natural growth as you, .5 inch per month. Fingers crossed that it works on both of us, good luck!

I've just started using it around 2-3 weeks now. So I can't give you any concrete growth stats but I think I'm shedding less and my hair feels a bit thicker so far.

1) What brand and concentration of MN are you using? - I use Daktarin, which is the UK version of Monistat and has Miconazole Nitrate 2% (the standard?)

2) How often do you apply? - 3/4 times a week when I know I'm washing my hair

3) Do you apply diluted or undiluted? - diluted in a mixture of grapeseed oil, castor oil and lavender oil to smell yum.

4) How long did it take to notice results in hair growth? - It's just been 2/3 weeks using but am shedding less and my hair feels thinking. Think I can also see roots as I can see my grey coming back!

And most importantly...
Well, it's usually around 0.5inch a month *I think* so will check back after using it for another few weeks.

Let me know how fast it's growing, this sounds very promising!

blondie9912
September 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Thank you for all your feedback everyone! This seems to produce good growth :D

WaitingSoLong, its interesting that nothing impacted your hair growth, but your theory does make sense. If you're already getting the best growth your scalp can give you, there's hardly any room for improvement! Nonetheless, your hair is beautiful. So thick and healthy with no stringy ends- amazing growth :)

I think that MN would cause hair growth to speed up because we have fungus on our scalp that we probably don't know about- perhaps eliminating that would cause increased oxygen flow to the scalp?

I'm debating whether to get name brand Monistat or generic (Walmart's Equate?) and 2% vs 4% :/ I don't think the headaches people talk about getting would be an issue for me, as I'm not prone to that. Anyone had different growth results with different brands or concentrations?

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I won't use the generic because it leaves my hair hopelessly greasy, like it takes several washes to get it out. (it is the mineral oil in it)

Also, I apply the day or evening before a wash day. I wash in the morning, so it stays on all night. On weekends I sometimes apply it early Saturday morning then wash it out Saturday night or Sunday morning. It never stays on my head more than 24 hours, except a rare once or twice when I was unable to wash my hair after applying because something came up.

I will say this, if I braid my hair after an application (french braid), you cannot tell my hair is greased up with monistat, but if I just do a ponytail or bun, you can tell it is greasy.

After 3 months of this experiment which I started 2 months ago, I may attempt undiluted and try leaving it on longer periods of time to see if I get any better results.

Any tips for applying it undiluted? Like, I have no clue how without using a whole tube in one application because 90% of it gets on my hair and not my scalp.

raishalini11
September 24th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Any tips for applying it undiluted? Like, I have no clue how without using a whole tube in one application because 90% of it gets on my hair and not my scalp.

Hi There, I apply undiluted.

What I do is to take a drop of it (pearl size), rub on all three fingers(first+middle and ring) and then massage the scalp with the same fingers, untill the creme on ur fingers is completely gone or absorbed by scalp. Repeat the process to cover whole scalp. At a time it takes me roughly around 1" of creme this way. HTH

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Wow, that's great that its working for you! You definitely don't need it for the extra length, your hair is stunning :)

Thank you! But I beg to differ hehe. I am only getting an average of about 2" a YEAR now! My goal is about 69" or 70" and at this rate it will take me 4-5 years to reach my goal, and even then it won't be with the thick ends that I want for a while longer than that! I'm dying for my hair to grow faster as much as just about anyone here I think. I also have a bunch of health issues and have been trying (forever) to get pregnant, so I'm nervous about a post-partum shed setting me back.

I also have chronic stubborn systemic candida (fungal overgrowth) so I'm on a very high dose of Nystatin for that, and I'm thinking maybe that's part of why I've been having such difficulty with my growth rate, shedding and receding hairline, and hopefully the combo of the antifungals and the monistat will help!

Now if I could just figure out how to apply it without having to increase my wash frequency too much!

Oh, and I would highly recommend just going for name brand. You can clip coupons or buy them really cheaply off ebay. It's not worth wasting your time and money only to find that the off brand doesn't work, leaves your hair super greasy or makes you break out!

blondie9912
September 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yes, I agree :) I think I'll go out and get some 2% Monistat today! I'll keep you all posted on how it works :D My hair is a healthy APL, but there is a rectangular section in the front, right by my hairline, that is now a buzz cut, about 2x1 inches in size. I know what you're thinking...a BUZZ cut? Yes, a buzz cut :lol: I dyed my hair about 3 times in a month, and this caused one small piece of my hair to be super frazzled and fried, basically dead beyond belief. I love having my hair healthy, so this was an issue for me. Especially problematic was the fact that the fried part was in the top 3 inches of hair, not at the bottom. Because of this, taking an inch or two off of the length of that piece would not have remedied the situation at all. So I took the plunge...and cut that rectangular section to a length of about 1-2 inches. But even then, the ends felt weird and chemically altered somehow. Of course, this irritated me to no end. Just yesterday, I hacked it ALL off (except for half an inch, my regrowth since colouring on Sept. 4 :D) I now have to part my hair on the opposite side and loosely braid or bobby-pin a section of hair over the 'bald spot' to conceal it. I'm gonna have to do this for a few months while it grows out to at least the length of bangs (then I will probably have more options with how to handle it). At least now the damage won't bother me, and it's kind of cool to have this little bristly piece to play with! This better grow fast! Anyway, I really needed to share that with someone LOL

I should probably make a thread about it, that way those who are growing out damage or pixies won't feel bad about their situation :p

Bottom line, I'll really be able to tell how fast my hair growth is as a result of Monistat based on this one piece. Should I buy 4% MN to use on the buzz cut while I use 2% on the rest of my scalp? Is there a difference in the growth I'll get?

hs_atreides
September 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I have been using 2% Monistat, 2-3 weekly for a few months. Growth seems to be about the same, but I am noticing more baby hairs sprouting up allover my head. I recently began applying only to my hairline and crown to encourage any possible faster growth there-it's the slowest growing part of my head.
I think that I might be at my optimal scalp and hair health for now and my diet and supplements are quite good, so I don't think that MN is going to do much for me. Good luck to you all!

blondie9912
September 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Just bought some 2% Monistat cream, 15g for $11.85 (with tax already) at my local Shoppers Drug Mart. Applied after shampooing and it's been on for about half an hour already and no headaches. I'll apply every time I was my hair (about 4x a week) and every day on my little buzzed area, hopefully I see growth in a week or two! :meditate:

WaitingSoLong
September 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hi There, I apply undiluted.

What I do is to take a drop of it (pearl size), rub on all three fingers(first+middle and ring) and then massage the scalp with the same fingers, untill the creme on ur fingers is completely gone or absorbed by scalp. Repeat the process to cover whole scalp. At a time it takes me roughly around 1" of creme this way. HTH

How long does it take you? I will try this, but I am skeptical. LOL I don't think I am talented enough.

Columbia River
September 26th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'm doing this too!!! Started 24 hours ago, no headache...wahoo! Cooter Cream for beauty, who knew?!?!

gogirlanime
September 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
1) 2% off brand from Winco
2) Every other day
3) Damp hair, applied directly, undiluted
4) After one month
5) I get the norm 1/2 inch a month, I get between 1 and 3/4 inch a month on MS

blondie9912
October 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM
So I bought some Monistat 2% cream in a 15g tube, and have applied 3 times since I bought it on Sunday (6 days ago). My hair has grown just under 1/4 of an inch in that time frame, and I've barely slept at all this week due to assignments! Once I start getting my 9-10 hours of sleep a night, hopefully my hair will grow even faster! :cheese: Anyone else using now?

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I use family dollar generic miconazole 7 I apply it daily undiluted. I do this everyday and have tried the diluted at first didn't see any results so I did it full strength and noticed some growth. I've never tried to measure my hair for an exact growth rate.

Dark Queen
October 3rd, 2011, 01:56 AM
I have tried both 2% and 4% of the Monistat brand.
I applied about 2 or 3 times per week
I started with diluted 2% for about a month, then 4%, then went to undiluted 4%
It took about a month to even notice anything, even then it wasn't more than 1/2 inch
And most importantly...
Honestly, I still haven't seen much of a difference even beyond using it since April. It hasn't gone beyond 1/2 inch in a month, though I do notice a huge difference in my scalp (no more flakes, less oily). I'm currently taking a short break from it as I'm all out and I don't have a lot of cash at the moment. I'll update if there are any changes.

didrash
October 3rd, 2011, 06:35 AM
I started yesterday. Got Daktarin 2%, as Monistat is not sold here.
Applied undiluted, the evening before wash day, so it spent 8 hrs on my head. I am not sure if I will do this again, because this morning when I washed my hair, my hair was falling like crazy. Not sure if its the Dakrarin, has anyone else suffered a shed after using the stuff? It could be just accumulated shed hairs as the stuff is sticky and they will not fall out, but it was massive...

prettyinpink
September 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Does anybody know what ingredients are in monsitat that helps it grow?

AmyBeth
September 12th, 2013, 05:55 PM
I believe it is an anti fungal. The theory is that the scalp may be colonized by certain fungi which inhibit the growth of hair. I don't know what the mechanism is, I'm sure there are more knowledgeable sources here on LHC. I do know that I measured my growth for 3 months (by my grey hairs which I color), then started monistat treatments once weekly and my own growth went from just under 1/4 inch monthly to just under 1/2 inch monthly. It might have been the seasons, it might have been daily massages. All I know is that something is working and my hair now grows faster than it ever has.

nitagurl
April 21st, 2017, 01:51 PM
My scalp gets itchy extremely fast and for a long period of time any time I throw my wet hair up into a ponytail and forget to let the middle dry. I've been suffering from a horribly itchy scalp for over a week since doing that. I hope the monistat helps in addition to giving me hair growth because good lawd :headache:!