PDA

View Full Version : If using cones, then don't use oil? Is that right?

SusanSt
September 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
I've been reading as fast as I can through older posts (and learning lots), but am a bit confused about one thing. Have I got it right that if using conditioners (or leave-ins) with cones, then there's no point in also using oils on the hair (as a leave-in or pre-wash treatment). Do the cone products coat the hair so much that oils can't be absorbed? I'd appreciate your thoughts!

spidermom
September 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I think you can benefit from both, unless you use cones so heavily that every single hair is completely coated. I don't think that's how it works. Cones are distributed through the hair, but they don't form a barrier that cannot be penetrated.

I use cone-free shampoo and conditioner, but I use a coney serum (CHI Silk Infusion) about once a week because it helps so much with detangling. The effect lasts through the next 2-3 washes, so I don't have to use cones heavily at all.

I also do a generous coconut oiling to length only (not scalp) one hour to one day before washing my hair CWC style. It leaves my hair so silky and shiny!

bna_rapunzel
September 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
I am a total cone junkie, as well as an oil junkie. (Coconut all the way!!) And I find that the use of just one does not benefit my hair as much as the use of both. So maybe some hair doesn't enjoy the use of both but I definitely use both, sometimes at the same time. Experiment! See what your hair likes. :)

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Many commercial products use both, so I doubt that they are mutually exclusive. But if you are trying a specialized routine like Coconut-Oil Shampoo or CO, it's worth trying it with totally cone-free hair before you give up on it.

Anje
September 22nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Mix and match. Everyone's got their own combination of what works.

Kristin
September 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
I use both (just a coney leave-in or serum). My hair still absorbs light oilings and I oil heavily with coconut oil once a week.

Stephanie
September 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
As Cassie said, many/most commercial products use both. I find that most commercial products benefit from a drop or two extra of your favorite oil. As far as oil treatments go, I still find that I have positive results oiling occasionally even though my daily products contain 'cones.

SusanSt
September 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks so much for your input, everybody. Your thoughts have helped clear up some of my questions. I have been doing some of both (occasional cones as well as oil), and my hair seems to like it, so I guess I'll keep it up!

celebriangel
September 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
yep! The biggest issues I see with cones are 1) people using cones which are too heavy for their hairtype/using too many cones, and 2) not clarifying every so often so the cones build up too much. If you use both oils and cones sensibly, you should do just fine.

Seconding the advice about clarifying before trying a new wash routine, however.