PDA

View Full Version : why the intensity

Heartwillfollow
September 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Still consider myself a short hair person so don't feel I am obsessive over hair .. Nothing makes me cringe more then seeing a beautiful person with beautiful hair down to their thighs having it hacked off with a cheering mob.. It just feels so wrong at the crowds behavior, seems like hate at a stoneing... I truly think Tyra Banks has an issue with women with long beautiful hair for all her hack jobs she puts the top model contestants through,, and even on her regular show she took the sicissors and cut way above what the girl with shin length hair agree'd to.. she agree'd to between waist and bsl and Tyra cut it to shoulder with an unkind grin on her face.. Then on Murray today a gal with thick 71inch hair wacked to a pixie because her friend hated her hair saying she cared for her friend and wanted to save her..

The individual people can do what they want, just creepy how the people involved rant and cheer on and applaude for the event ... just seems like (for lack of a better word) like hatred of someone having long beautiful hair..

ps know I shoudl find other things to do then my choice of tv during the day... it is what it is...lol...

Sister13
September 22nd, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yes. Schadenfreude - pleasure at their pain & loss.

teal
September 22nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
You might be like me. The modelling world and I seem to have mutually exclusive interests. I can't watch that stuff. It helps that I haven't had cable for a while, though, lol. :p

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
I don't think anybody wants to see anybody get hurt; that's not how humans are wired. Yeah, some people are just thrilled by watching hair get cut. :shrug: People are funny. I once had a female friend with a .. thing for.. watching guys shave their heads. Idunno, to each her own.

Madora
September 22nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Still consider myself a short hair person so don't feel I am obsessive over hair .. Nothing makes me cringe more then seeing a beautiful person with beautiful hair down to their thighs having it hacked off with a cheering mob.. It just feels so wrong at the crowds behavior, seems like hate at a stoneing... I truly think Tyra Banks has an issue with women with long beautiful hair for all her hack jobs she puts the top model contestants through,, and even on her regular show she took the sicissors and cut way above what the girl with shin length hair agree'd to.. she agree'd to between waist and bsl and Tyra cut it to shoulder with an unkind grin on her face.. Then on Murray today a gal with thick 71inch hair wacked to a pixie because her friend hated her hair saying she cared for her friend and wanted to save her..

The individual people can do what they want, just creepy how the people involved rant and cheer on and applaude for the event ... just seems like (for lack of a better word) like hatred of someone having long beautiful hair..

ps know I shoudl find other things to do then my choice of tv during the day... it is what it is...lol...

Well, to put it bluntly, why go on national tv to cut your 71 inch hair? If her "friend" (!) hated her long hair so much, why couldn't she have gone to a salon and have it whacked there? Why subject yourself to the dislike of the audience because of your very long hair?

Many people don't seem able to appreciate hair of that length. They consider it "wierd"...and can't wait to see it's beauty destroyed, and even better if they can witness that destruction first hand.

After her chop, I hope she was renumerated for her appearance, though I doubt it. I wonder if she'll continue being friends with her friend?!

ladyfey
September 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
It always upset me to see people crying and shaking while their long hair is being cut off on t.v. If they are reacting like that, then I don't think that they were ready to chop and I think they will regret it. I have twice cut from knee to shoulder and both times it was just one in a list of errands to get done that day, no drama.

LalahRose
September 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
So true!

I don't know what is the matter with some folks; it seems they LOVE to cut off other women's hair!! I cannot tell you how many women either attempted or campaigned for me to cut off my hair. Suffice to say that I learned my lesson about certain types of people.

One "friend" even arranged for her sister-in-law to trim my hair - knowing VERY WELL that her sister-in-law could NOT cut hair. Not. Not.at.all.

The sis-in-law was a lovely person who wanted to learn how to cut hair, but so far had very little experience. So this "friend" convinced both of us to get together; the poor sister-in-law was convinced to hack away at my hair...while I had been persuaded that she had great natural talent and should have her cut my hair for me.

Predictable results. I ended up with short shaggy hair, much weeping on my husband's shoulder, and a few years of re-growing to do. The friend's sister-in-law ended up being demoralized that she had ruined someone's hair, even though I pretended to love it, to spare her feelings.

I actually heard my "friend" mutter under her breath, "So much better without all that HAIR!"

I should mention that she had gobs of thick hair herself, bleached blond, on top of a stick-thin body...

...and I was quite overweight, with long brunette hair. I mean...it's not I was prettier than she was, or anything like that. She just did not want me to have long hair.

The moral of the story, stay away from people who try to convince you to cut your hair!!

AnnaJamila
September 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
People are afraid of what is unfamiliar. Most people don't grow up around women (or men) with very long hair so a lot of them think it's weird. I have a friend who feels the same way about short hair on women; she thinks it's disgusting and unnatural and she's always urging me to grow my hair, "Habibti, why don't you grow it? Your husband would find you soooooo much prettier, I promise!!!"

I always tell her that I am growing it but she insists that I'm not. :rolleyes: She also tells me to eat more milk fat to make my face rounder. Cause I TOTALLY don't already have a moon-pie face. Really. I promise.

:p <----- Litterally, I look like this!!! :lol:

caiti42
September 22nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Crying makes for ratings.

slz
September 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM

battles
September 22nd, 2011, 04:41 PM
People are afraid of what is unfamiliar. Most people don't grow up around women (or men) with very long hair so a lot of them think it's weird. I have a friend who feels the same way about short hair on women; she thinks it's disgusting and unnatural and she's always urging me to grow my hair, "Habibti, why don't you grow it? Your husband would find you soooooo much prettier, I promise!!!"

I always tell her that I am growing it but she insists that I'm not. :rolleyes: She also tells me to eat more milk fat to make my face rounder. Cause I TOTALLY don't already have a moon-pie face. Really. I promise.

:p <----- Litterally, I look like this!!! :lol:

Why does she want your face to be rounder? :eek: That made me giggle so much.

Rybe
September 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I think if you wind up on TV sobbing as someone cuts your hair you need to re-evaluate many areas of your life...

I've also noticed that a lot of the daytime TV type crap I've seen plays it up like long hair is some weird ****** thing. Which is weird, since I've kinda never heard of it being one outside of daytime TV. And I spend way too much time on the internet. But people always seem to justify demonizing anything sexual they don't agree with. There has to be all other sorts of disturbing symbolism things in there too, but I'm not even gonna start with that.

pepperminttea
September 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Actually I personnally think it's the opposite - think circus games, public executions, etc. I think what the OP is talking about is the "let's pretend we're civilized" version of this.

Agreed. It's a really ugly side of human nature that we like to think we're 'past' when we just have other outlets, like this, for it.

Maktub
September 22nd, 2011, 10:45 PM
I think if you wind up on TV sobbing as someone cuts your hair you need to re-evaluate many areas of your life...

very true ...

longhairedlady
September 22nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
I dont like Tyra!!

kiwiipop
September 22nd, 2011, 11:33 PM

I actually saw the Maury show today and the girl you're talking about was SO happy, looked like she felt like a million bucks, and said she'd absolutely be keeping the cut. I don't think they're some frothing mob wanting to cut off pretty hair-I think people enjoy seeing drastic transformations; that's why shows like What Not To Wear are popular. The crowd's reaction would have been much different if she came out sobbing and hated it.

WinterButterfly
September 23rd, 2011, 02:34 AM
I watched one when I was younger. A lady with hair to her bum got it wacked to a pixie. But thenit was made into a wig and she got to see the little girl who got it. That one was kind of sweet actually. But I was sad to see her pretty red hair cut. I'm not growing mine to donate. And I am not growing it to let someone humiliate me in front of the world by hacking it off. How do people end up in that situation anyway? If someone brought me on a talk show because they thought I needed it cut, I would say no. I think long hair is beautiful. And I have a lot more options for updos. and its my hair. If somebody has a problem with it, there is something wrong with them, not me. I would never tell someone that they need to have their pretty hair lopped off. I might be jelouse of someone with longer hair then mine though. Especially if it was curly... I may dissagree with someones appearance. And unless I had a business and the person was employed under me, I don't have the right to controll any aspect of the way they look. I may tell a friend that I think one thing looks better than another. But I have no right to say, never wear that again, or you need to dye your hair this color or else! Opinions are one thing. Telling others what to do is a different thing entirely.

duchesswannabe
September 23rd, 2011, 03:47 AM
Television today makes me sick. So many of the "shows" on today are all about putting people through hell by picking apart their business ventures, their cooking skills, the singing talent, etc., etc. I realize a lot of these shows are probably staged, but the example these programs give people is frightening. Everything seems to be about making people feel less about themselves: put-down comedies and snide innuendo putting down someone else's sexual orientation, etc.

People always think they have to "improve" each other. I can't even stand What Not to Wear and I don't as a rule watch makeover shows. And the joke is that if some celebrity has short hair she wears extensions; on makeover shows longhairs get a haircut. WTF???

duchesswannabe
September 23rd, 2011, 03:54 AM
sorry accidental double post. I'll get the hang of this yet.

RedDevil
September 23rd, 2011, 04:59 AM
i think the excitement around cutting off large amounts of hair is really about change. People are very reluctant to change and when you can find a person that's willing to make a drastic change, crowds can get alittle worked up. I don't think they are necessarily hair haters

Hile
September 23rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
I would be more interested to see the hairdressers telling people how to work with their current hairdo. I suppose that wouldn't be good for the ratings, though:o

Television today makes me sick. So many of the "shows" on today are all about putting people through hell by picking apart their business ventures, their cooking skills, the singing talent, etc., etc. I realize a lot of these shows are probably staged, but the example these programs give people is frightening. Everything seems to be about making people feel less about themselves: put-down comedies and snide innuendo putting down someone else's sexual orientation, etc.

People always think they have to "improve" each other. I can't even stand What Not to Wear and I don't as a rule watch makeover shows. And the joke is that if some celebrity has short hair she wears extensions; on makeover shows longhairs get a haircut. WTF???

I just saw how a bunch of little girls played a game inspired by the Dancing with the stars show. Two of them made a dance performance and the rest of them were the jury. The best part seemed to be after the performance when the jury gave their "minuses" as they called it. I was sad to see how much fun the girls had when trying to find as many flaws in their friends as possible:(

smilinjenn71
September 23rd, 2011, 06:33 AM
One the upside. This past week on What Not To Wear, the woman was fearful of getting her hair cut (crying, etc) and the stylist didn't do it. Ted Gibson is AWESOME! He really LISTENS to the people in his chair. I think I have a :crush: on him! hehe

theodora
September 23rd, 2011, 06:42 AM
Watched ANTM yesterday and it was MAKEOVER episode (always my favourite of course, I love predicting what kind of awful idea Tyra has in store). Every season, there is always the person who cries, and also the person who gets a very unflattering makeover and is told she has to "make it work" even if she feels completely insecure.

Anyhoo this contestant, called Lisa - who's a bit of a nutjob to be honest- had pretty long hair, like maybe BSL. The haircut was a bit tacky and the colour this sort of yellow blonde. Of course Tyra wanted to chop it all off to chin. And the girl complained saying it took her ages to grow it this long and she was getting married in 2 months! (that really made me feel crap for her, as I am growing my hair as well in the hopes of having beautiful waist-length hair for my wedding).

In the end she coped with the cut okay (it wasn't anything new to her as she'd had the same cut the first time around she was on ANTM). But the thing that really struck me is how it seems like Tyra just 'makes a point' with these makeovers, like she just wants to exert her power. This girl could really have done with a nice new colour more flattering than her yellowy unnatural blond, but all Tyra seemed to have cared about was to test how she'd react to having her hair cut short when she was growing it for her wedding.

Sorry about the long rant, it just seemed to me sadistic and somehow going against what the makeovers are supposed to be about: that is making the models feel more beautiful and give them that extra bit of confidence.

noelgirl
September 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM

That's the annoying part about makeover shows - on the one hand, they did agree to be a part of the show but on the other hand, people's individual differences get ironed out, sanitized, and commodified. I know exactly what they'd say about me if I went on one of those shows, and those things are all by design. Yes, I'm a thrift-store shopping hippie chick. Yes, I make my own jewelry. And if the peace signs and crazy hair make me look like I just took the last flight in from Woodstock, maybe that's exactly what I was going for. If someone asks my opinion I'll tell them, but I'd much rather give a compliment about what's already there, and make someone feel beautiful just as they are.

noelgirl
September 23rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
Watched ANTM yesterday and it was MAKEOVER episode (always my favourite of course, I love predicting what kind of awful idea Tyra has in store). Every season, there is always the person who cries, and also the person who gets a very unflattering makeover and is told she has to "make it work" even if she feels completely insecure.

Anyhoo this contestant, called Lisa - who's a bit of a nutjob to be honest- had pretty long hair, like maybe BSL. The haircut was a bit tacky and the colour this sort of yellow blonde. Of course Tyra wanted to chop it all off to chin. And the girl complained saying it took her ages to grow it this long and she was getting married in 2 months! (that really made me feel crap for her, as I am growing my hair as well in the hopes of having beautiful waist-length hair for my wedding).

In the end she coped with the cut okay (it wasn't anything new to her as she'd had the same cut the first time around she was on ANTM). But the thing that really struck me is how it seems like Tyra just 'makes a point' with these makeovers, like she just wants to exert her power. This girl could really have done with a nice new colour more flattering than her yellowy unnatural blond, but all Tyra seemed to have cared about was to test how she'd react to having her hair cut short when she was growing it for her wedding.

Sorry about the long rant, it just seemed to me sadistic and somehow going against what the makeovers are supposed to be about: that is making the models feel more beautiful and give them that extra bit of confidence.

I saw that episode too, and it made me mad how Tyra was just like, "you look like a soccer mom." Like on top of all that you have to be insulting, too.

duchesswannabe
September 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
That's the annoying part about makeover shows - on the one hand, they did agree to be a part of the show but on the other hand, people's individual differences get ironed out, sanitized, and commodified.

I'd much rather give a compliment about what's already there, and make someone feel beautiful just as they are.

You stated my feelings on this topic better than I was able to.

LalahRose
September 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
Anyone remember The Starting Over Show? It was a show about women who all had a reason to start over, whether losing weight, grieving a lost husband, recently divorced, teen mom, etc, and they all lived in this 'Starting Over House' under the care of Life Coaches.

One very young woman who has lost her husband had long, fluffy hair past her waist, fair skin, large eyes. She looked waifish and enchanting...her long, long hair was just lovely...and the Life Coach (Rhonda Britten) determined that her new start in life had to include chopping off all of that glorious hair!!

The young widow said, "John (her late husband) touched this hair..." referring to the very ends of her hair. This was because the two were childhood sweethearts who attended school together; he was with her all those years of growing her hair out. Imagine! This girl's long hair had HISTORY...how special is that??

I will never understand that whole 'chop-off-your-hair-make-a-new-start' philosophy. I think it was invented by someone who does not understand the magic and beauty of long hair.

*sigh*

That said, I am beginning my own hair growing journey...(noobie, here!) and love being in a forum where folks understand that!

Becky Safari
September 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
I know exactly what you are talking about, and it makes me cringe. It ties right into the whole "oh your hair is so long you must be donating it" idea.

irishlady
September 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
One thing I've never understood, is the people that say "Oh your long hair is so beautiful, you'd look great if you got it cut."

....huh? :confused:

noelgirl
September 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
One thing I've never understood, is the people that say "Oh your long hair is so beautiful, you'd look great if you got it cut."

....huh? :confused:

Or even better, "Have you thought of getting it cut," like they're introducing some novel concept. I'm not a feral child, if I wanted it cut I'd get it cut! Pretty simple, really. I don't need someone else to save me from my hair *checks* nope, it's not strangling me, not holding a gun to my head. Think I'm ok.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
We don't have T.V. (although we do get Netflix now), so I haven't seen makeover shows except with my daughter on vacation. It is kind of weird how the audience gets so excited about a big hair cut - like it's a touchdown or something! Some people obviously need to get a life.

celebriangel
September 23rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
It's funny, I saw this kind of thing on youtube the other day - 4 women got their classic-to knee hair cut off, and they were all crying and looked like they really didn't want to, but the talk show host was guilt-tripping them into it.

It was so awful. I don't think it really happens on tv in the UK, at least not that I've seen (I've seen some makeover shows, but mostly gok's show, and I normally think the people end up looking nicer and more confident - the important bit, really - at the end).

It makes me wonder if this is why, in the UK (from what I have experienced, and from speaking to other UK longhairs) people don't really know what locks of love is or demand you cut off or donate your long hair. It might be the area I live in, but even my very conservative mum think growing my hair long is a great idea! She had hip length hair in colleege, and keeps it at about APL now.

Just different culture, I guess...

gthlvrmx
September 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Them my dear, are the truly blind. They cannot see beauty.

Yame
September 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Actually I personnally think it's the opposite - think circus games, public executions, etc. I think what the OP is talking about is the "let's pretend we're civilized" version of this.

Agreed! Hence, my lack of faith in humanity.