PDA

View Full Version : best hair toys for shoulder + length?

pennyroyal
September 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hello all. I am a complete newb when it comes to hair toys. :o My hair is just getting long enough to finally be able to start experimenting with them tho & i cannot wait! My birthday is coming up so i wanna get some hair toys but i have no idea where to start. :confused:

My hair is a bit wavy & almost APL. I am looking for something pretty i can use daily in my hair that is fairly easy to do updos with. Any suggestions would be wonderful!!! :)

Maplecat
September 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
My hair is just at shoulder length and I like using Flexi-8s for a pony tail or tails-up. I can also use a Flexi-8 for a french twist.

Ficcares also work well for tails-ups, messy buns, and a french twist.

caiti42
September 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
I love flexi 8's. My first LHC hair toys since just before APL and I now have 4 in my collection and use pretty regularly :)

pennyroyal
September 22nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Thank you both! I love the way flexi 8's look so maybe I will have to try one. Any recommendations of a certain type/brand?

caiti42
September 22nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
You can buy genuine ones off the flexi 8 website. Not too expensive and there is a code where you can get 10% off. Sorry I'm using my ipone so I can't look it up but google flexi 8 discount code. It's blue something.

They also have sizing videos on the website and your hair looks to be a similar type to mine and I use a medium for updos, and x small for half ups. My small is a little big for half ups but too small for a pony.

Enjoy! They are fantastic!

Lianna
September 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
Flexi 8 (http://www.flexi8.com/) is the brand.

My hair is around that length and what works best is 2 hairsticks and flexi8's.

archel
September 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
A French twist comb is handy at this length, too! I also use a claw clip for tails up since I don't have a Flexi8 yet :)

archel
September 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Oh and a rolled up sock with the toe cut out to use as a donut for sock buns :)

pennyroyal
September 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
You can buy genuine ones off the flexi 8 website. Not too expensive and there is a code where you can get 10% off. Sorry I'm using my ipone so I can't look it up but google flexi 8 discount code. It's blue something.

They also have sizing videos on the website and your hair looks to be a similar type to mine and I use a medium for updos, and x small for half ups. My small is a little big for half ups but too small for a pony.

Enjoy! They are fantastic!
Thank you so much! I am gonna go check these out. I am excited to try one. :p

Flexi 8 (http://www.flexi8.com/) is the brand.

My hair is around that length and what works best is 2 hairsticks and flexi8's.
I love hairsticks (in other people's hair) so I wanna try these too. Thanks!

A French twist comb is handy at this length, too! I also use a claw clip for tails up since I don't have a Flexi8 yet :)
I use a claw too but I am bored of it now cos it's almost all i have used. :o

Oh and a rolled up sock with the toe cut out to use as a donut for sock buns :)
This sounds so cute!

bunzfan
September 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
At your length i used mini claws to make a bun like this :
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/th_P110202004-1.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/?action=view&current=P110202004-1.jpg)

I also highly recommend a flexi they are a favourite still:)

Venefica
September 23rd, 2011, 05:14 AM
You could cheat and use a bun maker, a fabric thing that roll your hair into a bun and then just place a hairstick in that so that it looks like the stick is holding the hair. I think also that if you do it vertically, as in one ponytail on high on your head and one a bit lower than you could make a small Chinese bun with that and use a hairstick.

Other than that I think fancy ponytail holders look great, and there is a million and one styles of those. I can also recommend those barrettes with a lacy bag under it, you make a pony, put the barrette over the elastic and you then pack all your hair in the bag, that looks very stylish and with shorter lengths you will find a lace bag that fits, unlike mine that sit unused because I have to much hair for it.

MandyBeth
September 23rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
Small GTS forks work great for half ups also.

pennyroyal
September 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Thank you for all the great ideas everyone! I will have to try them all. :)

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Oh goodness I just picked up my favorite hair toy and it was only $3.50 - the Goody Ouchless Flex large barette - it holds all my hair in a peacock twist and it's FLAT so I can lean back on stuff without being jabbed in the head by an octopus clip! And it's flexible and there's no metal on it - total WIN again from Goody!

pennyroyal
September 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Oh goodness I just picked up my favorite hair toy and it was only $3.50 - the Goody Ouchless Flex large barette - it holds all my hair in a peacock twist and it's FLAT so I can lean back on stuff without being jabbed in the head by an octopus clip! And it's flexible and there's no metal on it - total WIN again from Goody!

Yay for you! What a great find!!! I wanna try it too. :p

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Oh, and you can tame pretty much every layer with U shaped pins (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-CLEAR-CZ-Crystal-Bridal-Hair-Pin-Wedding-Bridesmaid-/280646257998?pt=AU_Wedding_Clothing&hash=item4157d20d4e). I'm using some in my avatar. :)

doodlebug66
September 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas cannot wait til I can put my hair up again.

annieangel149
September 26th, 2011, 03:05 AM
this thread has been a great help for me too! thankyou :D