PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh!

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
:confused: Last night was my 2nd CO wash and I noticed right after that although my hair and scalp seemed clean and I had volume at the roots (unusual for me) my scalp was a bit itchy. Not sitting-there-scratching-with-both-hands itchy, just back-of-my-mind-kind-of-annoying itchy. I did rinse really well and did a diluted white vinegar rinse as well, so I don't think the itchyness is from leftover residue.

I'm kind of freaking out though, because I remember my scalp feeling like this before my hair started falling out and I really, really don't want to go through that again, I still haven't mentally recovered from loosing it all the first time!

*assumes the begging position* PLEASE HELP!! What is going on and how can I stop it???:wail:

coneyisland
September 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Go wash it with the shampoo you had been using before. Do it now.

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Go wash it with the shampoo you had been using before. Do it now. okay. Do you think it's something in the conditioner then?

longhairedlady
September 22nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Well I say if what you were doing before the CO was working then stick with that! You will know when your head is happy! :)

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
I think when I switched to CO and stretched my time between washes I did have a time where my scalp felt itchy sometimes. It's odd that it feels this way just after you've washed though. I think maybe you should try a different conditioner for your CO. For me, itchy scalp and any neck breakouts are the sign that it's time for my next wash. I wonder if it's also possible that your scalp didn't like the vinegar rinse? Have you done those before? My hair and scalp seem to vastly prefer lemon juice over vinegar.

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
I think when I switched to CO and stretched my time between washes I did have a time where my scalp felt itchy sometimes. It's odd that it feels this way just after you've washed though. I think maybe you should try a different conditioner for your CO. For me, itchy scalp and any neck breakouts are the sign that it's time for my next wash. I wonder if it's also possible that your scalp didn't like the vinegar rinse? Have you done those before? My hair and scalp seem to vastly prefer lemon juice over vinegar.

I have been doing the vinegar rinse for a while, but I don't leave it in, I rinse it out after (don't like the smell, but hair still looks shiny)
Do you think it's possible that I might be allergic to something that is in conditioner but not in shampoo?

coneyisland
September 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Some scalps want shampoo.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69029

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Some scalps want shampoo.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69029

oh wow. I had hoped that because I was still using shampoo every other time that I might get away with it, but I guess not. :( My scalp must still be fragile from when it all fell out.:(

coneyisland
September 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I was looking for that thread.

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I was looking for that thread.

thanks.. I've been putting things in the search engine and hadn't come up with that one, so thanks so much for finding it..

Rtzgrl
September 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Do you think it's possible that I might be allergic to something that is in conditioner but not in shampoo?

I think it's very possible. In fact, it happened to me a couple of years ago. I was using a Suave shampoo and conditioner for at least a year, and one day they were out of the fragrance I usually get for the conditioner (citrus), so I got the coconut fragrance instead. All ingredients were the same, except for that fragrance. Well, within a couple of days, I was covered with tiny little bumps and the itchiest rash I've ever experienced. It actually took me awhile to figure out the conditioner was doing it, because after all, it was basically the same as what I usually used. All it takes is one tiny ingredient. :(

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
I think it's very possible. In fact, it happened to me a couple of years ago. I was using a Suave shampoo and conditioner for at least a year, and one day they were out of the fragrance I usually get for the conditioner (citrus), so I got the coconut fragrance instead. All ingredients were the same, except for that fragrance. Well, within a couple of days, I was covered with tiny little bumps and the itchiest rash I've ever experienced. It actually took me awhile to figure out the conditioner was doing it, because after all, it was basically the same as what I usually used. All it takes is one tiny ingredient. :(

Lovely.. *head thunk* well, looking at the ingredients, i see both raspberries and wheat proteins, and I'm allergic to those when I ingest them. Never would have though it being in hair products would be a problem though.

I guess I'll give this stuff to my mom when she comes up and go back to oiling the ends before shampooing until I find a conditioner that works. :( Shame too, because this stuff smells divine!

Annibelle
September 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't worry yet!!! The VERY same thing happened to me during my first month of CO. No crazy shedding ensued, and I no longer get those itchies. :) It could be what happened to me. :flower:

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't worry yet!!! The VERY same thing happened to me during my first month of CO. No crazy shedding ensued, and I no longer get those itchies. :) It could be what happened to me. :flower:

I just don't know... After loosing all my hair last year, I don't think I'm brave enough to keep going with it.. I might try again with a different conditioner in a bit though and see if that changes anything.. Right now I'm soaking my scalp in evoo because it felt dry and was still a bit itchy after the shampoo earlier, and I'm just off to wash it again. Hoping my old fix works!

Annibelle
September 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM
Do keep us updated! :) You know your own hair better than the rest of us. :flower: I hope everything works out!

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Do keep us updated! :) You know your own hair better than the rest of us. :flower: I hope everything works out!

I will! And thanks :)

Miss Maisie
September 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
I had some itchies like that when I first started CO. I was using Suave Coconut conditioner, and my scalp HATED it. I don't know what it was, but as soon as I switched to VO5 the itching completely stopped.

I hope you find something your scalp likes :) As it is, mine likes conditioner, but I do wash it with shampoo once or twice a week, too.

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I had some itchies like that when I first started CO. I was using Suave Coconut conditioner, and my scalp HATED it. I don't know what it was, but as soon as I switched to VO5 the itching completely stopped.

I hope you find something your scalp likes :) As it is, mine likes conditioner, but I do wash it with shampoo once or twice a week, too.

I have tried suave just as a conditioner in the past and my hair didn't like it. :( I would love to try the V05 but they don't sell it here any more! I'll just go back to oiling and shampoo until I can get to the drugstore and find something else... :)