PDA

View Full Version : Grey in your 30's?

kellinaturalmom
September 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm sorry if there is already a thread like this but I couldn't find it if there is...

Are you in your 30's, going grey, and not coloring your hair? I see a lot of you are renegreys and would love to see some pictures of your beautiful hair.

I am 31. I have recently been debating about whether or not to stop hennaing my hair but am nervous about the fact that I am about 5% grey. It seems that everyone I know in their 30's has grey hair but every single one of them dyes it.

So let's see some pictures of the courageous ones!

rowie
September 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I just started henna now that I am 32, and I love it. I had only a few grey hairs appear, and that's what turned me into henna, and the health benefits it has for hair. I never knew something so natural can improve the health of my hair. I think I'll embrace the salt and pepper years in my late 40's, for now I want to enjoy henna. Good luck to you though!

ange1ito
September 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
I noticed I got heaps more greys in my mid 30's too. As soon as I hit 35 I have been bombarded with them. I use wella colourtouch to cover them. Still too scared to be a renegrey yet.

PinkyCat
September 22nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
What makes you ladies not want to color? Just curious. My sister-in-law is only 36, does not color, but looks so much older now. I don't understand why not :luke: the grays?

rowie
September 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
For me, it seems like a lot of people think that when you are in your 30's then you are old. Perhaps maybe because there are more younger generations out there. All I know is that I don't need to feel bad if I have to henna my hair because that is what makes me happy. What is the new saying?

"The 30's is the new 20's and the 40's is the new 30's!"

I think I'll go by these words and enjoy henna.

JuliaDancer
September 22nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Agh, my computer screwed up and I have to write this all over...

I'm 27 and I'm getting a pretty obvious grey streak in my hair. I've had greys since high school, but have grown a lot more since them. Because it's mostly in one spot, people think it's cool... I have a photo in my album.

The reasons I don't foresee myself ever coloring my hair are A) I like the way silver hair looks; B) I don't care if it makes me look older (it will actually give me more credibility at work, since people think I'm 19 as it is); C) My mom is in her 50s and has been dyeing her hair for years and now she's in the predicament of how to switch over to silver (she's pretty much 70% grey all over), and I don't want to have to bother with that (btw, does anyone have any recommendations on how she could do it gradually?); D) Most regular dyes have a lot of chemicals that I wouldn't want soaking into my skin, and doing henna myself would probably be too much of a bother for me to keep it up (my hair grows pretty fast).

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
The gray streak in my avatar/profile pic has been gradually growing since I was around 30. I like it and I sometimes get compliments on it.

Silverhairs of all ages like to congregate in the Salt and Pepper thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951). The attitude there is that silver is beautiful and that there's no reason on earth to pretend that you're younger than you really are. Come on over and have a look! ^.^

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
My mom is in her 50s and has been dyeing her hair for years and now she's in the predicament of how to switch over to silver (she's pretty much 70% grey all over), and I don't want to have to bother with that (btw, does anyone have any recommendations on how she could do it gradually?)

My mother, originally a brunette like me, transitioned during her fifties by wearing her hair shorter and having it professionally highlighted all over to an ashy blonde. My dad hated it, but he hates everything. I thought it was a rather chic transition. The natural, glowing silver-white that she has now is such an improvement over the old brown dye.

Sunshineliz
September 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
I agree with Cassie that you should check out the Salt & Pepper thread--there are lots of pics and good attitudes towards silver. I'm feeling paradoxically too busy and too lazy to post a pic, but you could always check out my "silver streaks" album if you want to look. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7507

Course there's always my siggy.:D And yes, I'm 33.

pepperminttea
September 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
What makes you ladies not want to color? Just curious. My sister-in-law is only 36, does not color, but looks so much older now. I don't understand why not :luke: the grays?

Why not keep them? Silver's a gorgeous colour, too. :D

UltraBella
September 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
I can't wait until I have some greys !! I am 35 and don't have any yet but I think they will look really awesome.

Savvyhorsez
September 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
I started getting grey hairs when I was in my teens! I've not reached a point where it's really greying too much, and I've not reached 30 yet. I think there is a thread somewhere about salt and pepper hair. I prefer to call it tinseling. Lol. I think it's great that folks are into natural no dyeing methods, but I don't mind, and get what others mean about not looking good with silver hair. To each her/his own I say in my opinion.:)

YepLilly
September 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
I only have a few white strands as of now, but once I start getting more I'm not sure yet what I'll do. I have dark brown hair and I want to keep that color (no lighter or darker). I guess I'll start trying with a semi-permanent dye (no peroxide), and eventually I'll try something more permanent like henna/indigo.

ladyfey
September 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I am 39 and have a few greys, have had them for a while but my hair is light enough that they are not very noticable. I won't dye them because I like my natural color and because growing out mostly or completely grey hair is rough. So I figure that unless you are going to dye your hair for life, better to stop dying before you have many greys. I much prefer the look of elderly women with white, grey or silver hair over the ones with dyed hair. That's just my preference.

Jing
September 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Three years left to 30, but I can't wait to have all white hair! It looks awesome. I hope I get some streaks to show off along the way.

WaitingSoLong
September 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Almost 36 here and not a single gray strand. My mom only started getting a few grays in her late 50's so I think I have awhile to go. I don't plan to color them.

I thought gray in 30's was the exception and not the norm? I do know a lady who is my age and has a gray streak. I am not sure I know anyone else in their 30's that doesn't color their hair, now that I think about it.

It is less common in blondes?

turtlelover
September 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I have a noticeable amount of gray now. I don't mind it much, and get compliments on my streaks. I used to dye until I turned 34, but stopped a couple of years ago. I'm 36 now, and have no plans to dye again. I want my hair around APL w/ layers-- not sure I'd want it TOO long w/ the gray -- and hope someday I can have hair like Emmylou Harris! :cheese:

QMacrocarpa
September 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
I thought gray in 30's was the exception and not the norm?
I think it's pretty hard to say. My guess is so much of it is colored that we don't see anything like a realistic percentage of grey hair (in my area of the U.S. at least). I started getting some noticeable (to me) strands in my mid-thirties. I never considered coloring them, but it took me a little while to get used to them. Now I'm fine with it. My mother began going grey quite young (starting by 20, I think) and never colored hers, so I guess she's my role model for taking the greys in stride.

As to "looking older", this is, in fact, exactly what I look like at my present age, greys and all, and I can live with that. ;)

coneyisland
September 22nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have never done anything to change the color of any of my hair.
I was delighted to find my first white hair when I was in my twenties. Now I am in my fifties, and my hair is about five percent gray and white.
The whites and grays are simply more colors in the spectrum of natural hair colors. They have not caused me any discomfort. They have not made me feel older. They have not kept me from achieving anything.
Not coloring my hair has kept my life simpler. It has given me much more time for other things, things I have needed to do and wanted to do, things that mattered to me. There is no shock or adjustment to a new hair image as more of the less colored hairs show, and there is no wondering if the hair texture changes might be from coloring.
I often hear people speak of gray (or graying) hair as if it is some horrible affliction to be remedied by applying other color. I have never thought of gray hair as disgraceful at all. I see it as a gift.
Come on over to the Salt and Pepper Thread!

MaryRose
September 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
I am 30 and have a few strands of silver in my bangs. I use to pluck them, but now I am letting them grow and they look nice.

emelnd
September 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
I don't know if this is silly but I want to henna while looking for a job. I don't want them to think I am older than I am... They already might think that because of my resume.

BlazingHeart
September 22nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I found my first white hair when I was about 18, and at this point (I'm 27) I have a sprinkling of them. They really aren't noticeable in my hair, because my highlights come up to almost white-blonde, so they really blend in.

I don't know what I'll do when it becomes something easier to see. My mother's hair (all auburn/red, what I wouldn't do for her color!) was much more obvious when she started getting the occasional silver in her 40s.

~Blaze

artemisjade
September 22nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm almost 32 and I've been very slowly greying for about 10 years now. However, my silver is so spaced out that it's not terribly obvious from a distance. Perhaps I'll try to get a closeup soon.

emelnd
September 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Mine are few but very obvious... Coarse, shiny silver on almost black auburn.

teal
September 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
This thread brought up a question I've wanted to ask my mother for a while... does she have any grey hairs at all? Because our hair colours are basically identical, so she's not dyeing to cover it (if she is, she's a roots ninja!). I've wondered if she plucked a few out or if she's just got great genes. I don't have any greys that I can see, but I'm still on the early side age-wise. When they do come I will probably not colour them, because I take issue with society's imposition on women that way. To hell with what everyone else thinks. LOL.

My dad hated it, but he hates everything.

Hahaha! *snort* "Don't hate the player, Dad... hate the game!"

wooliswonderful
September 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I'm 34 and have had silvery greys for probably 3 or 4 years. I don't have many, but enough that I think people might notice. I no longer pluck them after noticing how pretty another lady at church looked with hers.

nobeltonya
September 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm 26 and I've found 2 thick, WHITE [from root to tip; not grey] hairs... but, it's hereditary. :P Both my mom and nanny went gray young. Nanny was like 20 when she started, and my mom was about my age... after 3 kids. :)

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 03:56 PM
kellinaturalmom, I notice that you have fine hair and wanted to mention that fine hair with white strands in it looks especially beautiful, as though lit from within. :)

Stephanie
September 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
The gray streak in my avatar/profile pic has been gradually growing since I was around 30. I like it and I sometimes get compliments on it.

Silverhairs of all ages like to congregate in the Salt and Pepper thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951). The attitude there is that silver is beautiful and that there's no reason on earth to pretend that you're younger than you really are. Come on over and have a look! ^.^

I adore your streak. Have wanted one since a study hall teacher I had in high school had one.

I'm going gray thanks to my thyroid, but I'm not unhappy about it at all! My mother and father both have the most amazing silver hair and while my mother tries to hide hers by going "blonde," I wish she would just let it go natural. With me, I'm not going gray all over, it's just that more and more strands are becoming noticeable. I can't wait until I'm sportin' long, silver hair. Very rarely do I see women let it grow out, but it's usually a pretty stunning effect.

Be proud of those grays!

slz
September 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM

Eirelin
September 22nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
I first found white hairs in my late 20's; well, actually, my roommate found it and decided to show it to me by PLUCKING IT OUT! Ouch!

Anyway, I started box dyes once or twice a year because of the white hair that started creeping in around the temples, and the one white/blonde streak that started around the forehead. Then I discovered henna and joined LHC, and those pesky white hair don't bother me any more.

While I do love white hair, the biggest reason I use henna to color is simply that I look horrible with such light-colored hair! Back in my last year of high school, I did try coloring my hair blonde once (mostly just to see how it would look on me), and it was hideous! My skin and eyes were all washed out, and I looked dead!

Over the past 10 years, the white had started coming in enough to blend in a little well with the light-colored/blondish strands in the strawberry blonde/ginger mix that I have naturally and washing me out again. So, no thank you! Maybe some day when it is all white or grey, I will just let it go and be all faded out.

Miss Maisie
September 22nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
I used to color all the time, but I haven't done it in about 3 months. I don't know when I'll do it again.

I have quite a bit of grey at 32. It's actually not really grey as much as it is BLINDINGLY SNOW WHITE. Like, neon. You know what though? I really like the contrast in my super dark brown hair. My husband actually *prefers* the grey in my hair. He was actually pestering me to let it grow in.

I think my biggest reason for not dying right now is that my hair is super healthy and shiny, and I would rather have some salt and pepper in there than to risk damaging it. Besides, my greys are really dye-resistant, which makes it all the more frustrating. I usually think to myself, "What was the point of coloring this if these hairs won't take the color anyway?!?"

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
I adore your streak. Have wanted one since a study hall teacher I had in high school had one.

Thank you! ^.^

silverjen
September 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM
I got my first greys at 25. They've come in super-slowly. I'm 15% grey now, at a very rough guess. Enough to finally be noticeable to the casual glance.

I confess, last year I had a grey panic, and dyed with henna. Then I realized I'd have to henna every two weeks to keep roots from showing. That's every other weekend spent sitting for hours with mud on my head. Too much upkeep for me.

Since then I've learned to love my silvery bits. Now I wish they would come in faster. I'm developing a little bit of a streak, but I want more!

Medusa
September 22nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Personally, I think wrinkles are more apt to make you look prematurely old than grey hair. But that's just me.

I started turning grey at 18 and started coloring to cover them at 24. I'll be 34 next month. I haven't colored my hair in 4 or 5 months, and my roots are definitely beginning to show. My grey seems to be concentrated in the area just forward of my crown - but not quite all the way to the hairline. I don't have too many greys in my temples or on the back of my head.

Like many others have said, I'm tired of battling roots. My hair is as dark brown as you can get before you get to black, so the greys are very, very obvious once the roots start to show. At this point, I have no intention of dyeing again. I suppose if I lost my job and it interfered with me getting another or something, I'd dye. I'm just not concerned if other people think I look old or funny with grey hair. My husband loves me no matter what, and his opinion is the only one that matters to me regarding my looks.

lizdini
September 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm 31 and have a few "sparkles" here and there. It's not really noticeable yet and I'm planning on keeping it awhile. Mostly because the non gray hair is a pretty deep brown color now, when most of my life I had dirty blonde hair. The husband started graying in high school and is about 80 % gray now at 30. It's the most beautiful shiny silver color! My mom didn't start graying until her 50's! Couldn't get that gene, now could I!?:rolleyes:

SarahKayfa
September 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
My mother started greying in her late 30's I believe, and so I figure I have a little while yet, although I wouldn't mind the change. I think it adds quite a bit of softness to one's look, and can be very fetching when paired with the right colors in clothing and makeup.

My partner has white hairs scattered throughout his very dark brown/asian hair. I am curious to see if it will whiten over time. I'm sure it will be very handsome and striking.

CurlyCap
September 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm 27 and have a few (maybe 30?) grey hairs. I actually think they're a pretty color, and it didn't surprise me because my father started going grey at the same age.

What's driving me mad is that grey curly hair acts differently than grey (current color) hair. GUH. They sort of stand up and announce their presence, which is annoying.

JuliaDancer
September 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
My mother, originally a brunette like me, transitioned during her fifties by wearing her hair shorter and having it professionally highlighted all over to an ashy blonde. My dad hated it, but he hates everything. I thought it was a rather chic transition. The natural, glowing silver-white that she has now is such an improvement over the old brown dye.

That's a pretty good idea except she's Chinese, so the blonde might look strange... Maybe she can try a light brown? It's closer to silver than black :)

Yame
September 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm 24 and I found my first gray over a year ago. My brother who is 2 years younger has had visible grays for a few years now.

Since I dye my hair, none of my grays are very visible past a few inches, and even if they were, they are hidden in a spot that's never seen. I'm a bad girl, and I pluck them out. Not so much because I don't want grays, but more because it's kind of fun finding the gray, singling it out, and trying to remove it. People tell me this will cause more grays, but I don't really care.

For now, I will keep covering them up simply because I like my hair to be darker than it is naturally, so I have no choice but to dye it. I only dye once a year with a toner, so it's not horribly damaging but I will be switching to a more natural method soon... either sage or, if that doesn't work out, hennindigo.

When I'm older, I'd love to be one of those silver-haired ladies. I know two women who have COMPLETELY white hair and I think it's just the coolest thing. One of them looks fairly young, it's really amazing that her hair is like that at that age... either that, or she is older and just looks very young. She appears to be in her early 50's, which is young for that hair. The other lady is probably in her 60's, she doesn't look as young BUT she wouldn't look any younger if she dyed her hair, either. Both have very gorgeous hair, fine, shiny, and long. Just to die for...

Unfortunately I highly doubt my hair ever be like that. I'll probably just have a few scattered grays, not even a cool streak or anything.

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
That's a pretty good idea except she's Chinese, so the blonde might look strange... Maybe she can try a light brown? It's closer to silver than black :)

Heh, you're right, that might not be quite the perfect fit.

My father-in-law, also Chinese, is in his early seventies, and he has only the slightest sprinkling of silver. It's rather amazing.

kimberlyjoy
September 22nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I am pushing 40 and have had silvers coming in for about a decade now. There aren't enough to make a difference overall, but boy do they stand out against my dark brown hair!

rocket_surgeon
September 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm 27 and have a few (maybe 30?) grey hairs. I actually think they're a pretty color, and it didn't surprise me because my father started going grey at the same age.

I've got more than a couple of grey hairs myself, and I'm 23. I found my first one when I was in high school. It wasn't really a surprise; my dad was completely grey before he hit his 30's. At this point, I'm actually behind schedule.

MasCat
September 23rd, 2011, 03:37 AM
I found my first gray in 4th grade of high school (which is about 18) ant I was THRILLED :) (which was really funny, because I found it while playing with my hair at a literature lesson, and thought it was my friends hair - She was sitting just beside me and has beautiful, thick, classic length honeyblonde hair). My mum told me that she noticed her first grays about that age as well.

Now I am 28 and I am planning not to colour my hair at all. I am looking forward to my grays, but they're in hiding. I sometimes see one or two.

Oh, my friend had a friend in college who had about 75% silver hair, and she was just 25ish. Looked brilliant!

Sunshineliz
September 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
I'm a bad girl, and I pluck them out. Not so much because I don't want grays, but more because it's kind of fun finding the gray, singling it out, and trying to remove it. People tell me this will cause more grays, but I don't really care.

Actually you're more likely to damage the follicles and get thinner hair. I used to pluck my big streak (when it was smaller) and the hair is thinner there. It isn't thinner on the streaks I never plucked.

Molls
September 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm 37, and I stopped coloring my hair earlier this year. I had wanted to for a long time, but I was too worried about what other people thought :rolleyes:
I've had nothing but compliments ever since though! I love my silvers...

emelnd
September 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm 37, and I stopped coloring my hair earlier this year. I had wanted to for a long time, but I was too worried about what other people thought :rolleyes:
I've had nothing but compliments ever since though! I love my silvers...

I love mine too... The hell with what people think!

Seriously, there was some kid who looked at my resume recently, and then he said, "You have been around for a while haven't you?"... Lol. I am younger than they think because I skipped some classes... And I have done a PhD with no masters degree... I don't want to show them my silvers too on top of that! If I get a job I haven't decided what to do yet. I like henna, I like the smell now, and the conditioning. I got so used to it. Also, my siver roots might look funny for a while if I stopped. The rest of my hair would transition smoothly though, it's very very dark.

Demetrue
September 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
What I read on henna for hair is that premature greying for Caucasians is considered first gray hair before aged 20. Majority of Caucasians will see first gray hair at age 34, + or - 9.6 years and most are 50% gray by age 50. It's just that 75% of woman with gray hair color it, so you think you are the only one :)

WinterButterfly
September 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I know quite a few in their 30's going grey. Maybe 25% to 50%. I don't have greys. My mom did. She started to grey in her early 40's. I'm. Not sure how hers would have turned out since she is not alive anymore. But my grandma who has black hair now has lots of white mixed in.
I would like to say that I think grey hair and white hair is kind of awesome. It would probably liven up my boring natural color. If I ever go totally grey then I am going off the hair dye. Sometimes I am sad whn I see great looking grey on someone because I think I want to try it.

Alex Lou
September 30th, 2011, 01:09 AM
When I was a little kid, I always admired the silver hair of the mother of a friend of mine. It was gorgeous and looked gorgeous on her. Gray at 30 is beautiful!

So I wouldn't mind if mine went gray early, but looking at my parents I have a long wait. :(

Dyefree
September 30th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I'm 29 and growing out virgin hair. Now that I have around 6 inches of soft black hair the 5 or 6 silver hairs I have really stand out! My mum was pleading with me to dye them one by one :o

I'm undecided... I love my natural colour, so for now the silvers merely add interest.... Once I've grown my virgin length longer I may decide to cover them, or I might just let the grey come in. I'm relaxed about it... It'll happen to everyone anyway :)

Eolan
September 30th, 2011, 02:31 AM

I think the reason people think younger women with grey hair look older, is because they are quite rare. I am the only one among all my girl friends who do not colour her hair. Everyone else does. Because it's within the beauty standard for women to do so. Among ALOT of other things.

Because it a huge effin g*damm CHORE ! Really dying is the closest to Sysyphus job. As soon as it's done - it needs redone again. Gaaah I hate it.

Yes, I agree. :) Far to much work.

And mainly because I LOVE my hair colour. It's MINE. It grows straight out of my head and it's awesome. And the greys I have I lovelovelovelovelove. They make me happy.

I don't have the need to look younger than I am. Women learn from early age that youth is the most important thing for us to strive to. I say to heck with that. I love growing older.

melmmo
September 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I'm 32 and I've been finding white hairs for about 3 years now. I've only really found one at a time, but I pluck them out of my medium golden brown hair. It's possible that they're not noticeable from a distance but *I* can see them so they have to go. I don't want to color anymore ever again so once I start getting more I'll just have to leave them. I don't want to color because the maintenance is such a chore.

ElusiveMuse
September 30th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I'm 29 and I have quite a few noticeable grey streaks. I don't mind them and I won't dye my hair. They're sparkley :)

Kapri
September 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I met a very fashionable woman on a shopping trip recently who inspired me to let some of my grey highlights grow through. She had very dark brown hair with a wonderful sprinkling of white. So elegant.

I have dyed chestnut brown hair. It would not grow out elegantly because the temples and the top are patchilly white. I'm taking it lighter to transition it to something more grey/light brown/streaks of warm blonde perhaps.

Some people suit cool coloured hair and look fab grey. I am a CMB warm Autumn, if you're into Colour Me Beautiful and I know it will wash me out to lose that warmth.

Sunshineliz
September 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I know quite a few people in their 30s with gray hair, mostly just a few hairs here and there. And a lot of them AREN'T covering it either! (Some might be planning to when they realize it is noticeable, but at least two of them told me they aren't going to color it--and one of those isn't actually 30 yet.)

I don't understand why not :luke: the grays?

Because I have better things to do with my time! And honestly I've EARNED every one of my silvers. I'm not old and nobody thinks I am. No one would ever mistake me for a teen either, but who cares? (Apparently my newly-30 little sis does. She dyes her hair and loves being called "jail-bait" and being mistaken for her kids' sister.:rolleyes:)

Is it less common in blondes? Probably less noticeable, or they dye it. Aforementioned little sis was dark, ashy blonde and we didn't see grays on her without looking hard for them. Now she's a redhead.

I don't know if this is silly but I want to henna while looking for a job. I don't want them to think I am older than I am... They already might think that because of my resume.

Understandable--unless they perceive wisdom in those hairs?;) But seriously, henna is so permanent, maybe some glosses during the job hunt? At least those wash out I'm told.

For those that are worried about looking washed out, especially those with warmer skin, Diane Jewell at Going Gray, Looking Great, has a section on learning how to dress and do makeup to look best with gray hair. http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/index.php?/makeup_colors_for_gray_hair/

Cassie 123
September 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I think it has probably always been common for gray hairs to start being present in more noticeable quantities in the late thirties, but as recently as our parents' generation, the late thirties was a time of undisputed maturity and wisdom (recall that a person cannot be elected president of the US until 35 or older), whereas now, many people feel that they are barely getting started on adult life in their 30's. I had my first child when I was 34; I myself was born when my parents were 26; and my grandma gave birth to my father when she was just 19! This means that my grandmother was only 45 when I was born, but I never saw her wear her hair any color except snow white. She wore it that way with utter confidence, and it would have never occurred to anybody that it should be any other way.

BrennalaRosa
September 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm 25 and have my first gray hair. I call her Charlotte.;)

My father began graying at 13 and I'm sort of hoping mine will start to gray more and come in a streak. I have plans to test out a dying method that will allow me to henna my hair without losing that lovely pearly silver.

JuliaDancer
September 30th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I think it has probably always been common for gray hairs to start being present in more noticeable quantities in the late thirties, but as recently as our parents' generation, the late thirties was a time of undisputed maturity and wisdom (recall that a person cannot be elected president of the US until 35 or older), whereas now, many people feel that they are barely getting started on adult life in their 30's. I had my first child when I was 34; I myself was born when my parents were 26; and my grandma gave birth to my father when she was just 19! This means that my grandmother was only 45 when I was born, but I never saw her wear her hair any color except snow white. She wore it that way with utter confidence, and it would have never occurred to anybody that it should be any other way.

That's true! My grandmother was in her 50s when she died, and I only remember her with lots of white hair. A lot of kids nowadays probably have grandmas who look like aunts because of hair dye.

Kapri
September 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
'For those that are worried about looking washed out, especially those with warmer skin, Diane Jewell at Going Gray, Looking Great, has a section on learning how to dress and do makeup to look best with gray hair. http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/ind...for_gray_hair/'

thank you Sunshineliz, Kapri

Kapri
September 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
wow that is some site ...will do some perusing on Sunday!!

PinkyCat
September 30th, 2011, 12:28 PM
My grandmother was always blonde! She was a natural redhead but went blonde with the grays. Always long painted nails, red lipstick and short curled blonde hair. My mom always colored too - but was less into the cosmetics. I guess the women in my family have always been into the dye.

Alex Lou
September 30th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Well, I have a warm skin tone... spring I think, and I've colored my hair gray before. I loved it! White looks wrong, but gray looks good.

Nicci4
September 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I am 31 and have colored my hair since 13. I am growing it out now a bit because I don't know what my natural color is. I was born with white blonde hair that slowly darkened as I got older. By 13 it was a dark, dirty blonde color that always looked greasy no matter how squeaky clean it was. Right now my roots are about an inch long and I'm still not sure what color it is. I am on the lookout for greys though.