PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for hair to look (or get) thinner as it gets longer?

kellysmum
September 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
I am 47 with hair to the middle of my back. As my hair has grown, I have been losing more and more of it each time I wash. When my hair was short, I was losing maybe five hairs each time I washed. When it got to my shoulders, I was losing maybe 30 hairs/wash. Now that it is to the middle of my back, I lose between 80-100 hairs per wash. I wash it every other day and use the CWC method. I do not comb or in any way touch my hair on the days I do not wash. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS, and had blood tests for my thyroid less than two months ago and all was normal. I am starting to get really scared, and I made an appointment with an endocrinologist at the Cleveland Clinic for next week. I assume he will do the hormonal blood tests. However, my PCP and dermatologist think everything is fine and my hair loss is normal. So is it normal to "thin out" as it grows?

Dizzy_zzz
September 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Have you been counting the individual hairs each time? If not, it might just look like there are more hairs because they are so much longer. Also, if you're one of those people who keep their hair in an updo all the time, then the hairs that would have otherwise fallen out without you noticing, couldn't fall, and stayed in your updo until you took it all down.

Madora
September 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
Have you had blood tests to check for anemia? Also, how do you shampoo and condition your hair? Perhaps it is what you're using on your hair that is contributing to the problem?

Do you detangle/brush your hair before you begin your wash routine? How do you use your fingers during the procedure?

It is not unusual to lose 80 to 100 hairs a day.

Good luck. I hope you find the solution to your problem soon.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2011, 08:48 AM
I think people average the same amount of shedding hairs per day whether the hair is short or long. It's certainly a lot easier to see the shed hairs when they're long, though. You probably didn't notice as many shed hairs when hair was short because they slipped away without you doing anything. As hair gets long, the shed hairs get caught up in the length and don't fall free as easily.

kellysmum
September 22nd, 2011, 09:06 AM
I don't wear my hair up at any time. And yes, I am counting the individual hairs, as best I can when they're all coiled together and I have to pull them apart. I use Curl Junkie products (naturally curly hair), and I never had a problem with my hair until this summer. Back in June, I had a day when I lost over 200 hairs in one day. That's when I saw the dermatologist and he told me 200-400 per day is normal (???). I have been under great stress this spring and summer. In March I was very sick and could not eat for three weeks. In July, my marriage almost dissolved. Last week, I had another day of 200+ hair loss, and that's what scared me enough to see an endocrinologist.

CherrySilver
September 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
It could also be your hormones if you're menopausal or peri-menopausal. The blood test will help to rule anything out. Do you gently detangle before you shower? How's your diet? Do you take any supplements? Protein shakes, greens, healthy fats, etc.? Do you do scalp massages or use any type of topicals? All of the above becomes even more crucially important as you get older.

kellysmum
September 22nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
I am perimenopausal. I do not detangle before I shower-I can't get a comb or brush through my curls. I only detangle with conditioner in my hair in the shower. I don't massage, but I might rub too vigorously when I wash my scalp with shampoo. I have been told to try jojoba oil.

MsBubbles
September 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Stress/starvation/trauma-induced shedding typically happens 3-4 months after said event. I'm currently shedding bucketloads of hair as a result of being ill in the spring. :(

Please make sure you get your thyroid issues fixed, and next time you have marital problems, make sure you eat (if only for the sake of your hair!) :) (been there, done that one too - lost half my hair. Bah!).

Anje
September 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Stress and your health issues are likely contributing, but no, it doesn't seem typical for people to shed more hairs as their hair gets longer. Similarly, hair might look thinner as it gets longer due to weight and due to fewer hairs reaching to the ends, but it shouldn't be thinning at the scalp.

I hope things start going better for you! It sounds like life's a bit rough right now.