PDA

View Full Version : Grr, that irritating pulling!

kiwiipop
September 22nd, 2011, 03:31 AM
Do you ever finish an updo for the day only to realize you've pulled too tight in one spot or on a few little hairs and you get that shocking little pinch?! I think we all know that irritating little tug- What do you do about it? When I experience it, it's usually buried inside a braid and if I try to weed through and "free" the hairs, I end up destroying the braid and having to start all over! Do you ever decide to just leave it be and let it loosen itself? It's not day-ruining annoying, but still not fun when you're in a hurry!

eshta
September 22nd, 2011, 03:42 AM
I used have that a lot with braids and always re-did them, but I grab my sections a little lower now and it doesn't happen quite so much now. Less strays means less pulling for me.
With updo's I re-do them because as you said it always destroys the bun. As my hair gets longer I find I need new styles or adept techniques to escape the pulling.

longhairedlady
September 22nd, 2011, 03:46 AM
Ouch I hate when that happens! I always redo when that happens. I have to have my updos and braids in just a way that I dont really feel them. I dont like little snags and pinchings!

embee
September 22nd, 2011, 05:23 AM
I always redo. It's not likely braids as I seldom do them, but a bun is ruined by trying to weed out the pullers.

freckles
September 22nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
I hate that. I have to redo -- it's too uncomfortable. Luckily, it seems to happen less over time -- I suspect as I get more practice :)

Fortresca
September 22nd, 2011, 06:09 AM
most of the time this happens, I don't redo it. I put a finger of the hurning spot and rub it a little. Thats enough with me. As I feel like having baby hairs everywhere it isn't even seen so easily for others. I have more problems with the layers in my haircut.

but I redo if it's an easy, fast style... just for the joy of practice and feeling, how long the hair is by now :p

Merewen
September 22nd, 2011, 07:07 AM
What usually happens with me is that i try to find the pulling hairs and pull them out a little to loosen them, but it doesn't work, so I redo it.

coneyisland
September 22nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
Make whatever adjustments you must to make it comfortable.
Pulling of one little area caused me a hair disaster fourteen months ago. I fell asleep with my wet hair wound in an Aquis towel. It had been comfortable enough to start, so I suppose the pulling came from my hair shrinking as it was drying. Within a few hours, there was a very sore red area on my scalp where there had been pulling. The next time I looked, it was a completely bald spot. Mercifully, new growth came in there later. The new growth at that place is only 5 1/2" long.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Oh yes; what a pain! I've tried to ignore the pull or do some adjustments, but nothing works other than re-doing the style. I also have a problem with styles sliding and pulling. The surface of my hair is crazy-slippery!

Sundial
September 22nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
What usually happens with me is that i try to find the pulling hairs and pull them out a little to loosen them, but it doesn't work, so I redo it.

I used to do what Merewen did, but then I started getting paranoid about traction alopecia and now I redo my updos whenever I feel a spot that pulls

Anje
September 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
I always redo it too. Though I don't get that sensation nearly as much as I used to, and I definitely get it less when I do my own hair than when others do something with it (a rarity anyway). Is that because I know what it feels like, or is there a developed skill at not putting extra tension on about 3 hairs?

Chetanlaiho
September 22nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
I used to get it all the time with ponytails. Now I mostly wear buns and it only happens when I do a 'tight' bun, in which case I will redo it since I am terrified of pulling hairs out :rolleyes:

Madora
September 22nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
I can't stand anything pinching or pulling or hurting. The style is redone, or resectioned if needed.

teal
September 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
I redo if it's bad. If it's minor, I slip the long end of a comb (I think it's called a rat-tail comb?) in and pull very gently. If that doesn't fix it or lessen the irritation, redo.

Cowgirl16
September 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
I will redo any "do" that pulls. :p

neko_kawaii
September 22nd, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'll first try wiggling the offending do and if that doesn't fix the problem I'll redo it. I get fewer of these than I did when I was younger. All that practice has paid off, though I remember the feeling that I would never get it right.

I like the suggestion of using the long pointy end of a comb, less potentially disturbing to the do than fingers.

ravenreed
September 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
This is happening more to me the longer and heavier my hair gets. I redo braids and updo's several times until I don't feel any pulling.

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
I usually gently pull forward and loosen when I'm done with a bun. If there are any specific hairs that are bumpy or pulling I'll try to smooth them with a comb, or slip a hairstick under and adjust it.

Lady Neeva
September 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Sometimes I do, like almost every day after lunch, I just cannot get my five-strand perfectly.

wooliswonderful
September 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
I can't stand anything pinching or pulling or hurting. The style is redone, or resectioned if needed.
Me too. Even if it feels like only one or two hairs.

islandboo
September 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I also tend to just redo the updo. I have a very sensitive scalp so if I don't deal with it when I first notice it, it starts to really hurt.

kiwiipop
September 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
I redo if it's bad. If it's minor, I slip the long end of a comb (I think it's called a rat-tail comb?) in and pull very gently. If that doesn't fix it or lessen the irritation, redo.

I can't believe that's never occurred to me before! You're a genius! (Or I'm a doofus:p) Thanks for the tip!

WinterButterfly
September 23rd, 2011, 01:51 AM
I hate the pulling! It started at about bsl. I always redo my hair.

jeanniet
September 23rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
I almost always have to redo, but sometimes I can take my bun and give it a little jiggle and that will loosen things up. It's become more of an issue as my hair's gotten longer and heavier. Most of the time I do a lazy wrap because that never seems to pull.

maria_asa
September 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
I usually try to loosen the hairs that pull either with my fingers or with a hair stick. If it doesn't work I try to convince myself that it isn't that bad just to realise about ten minutes later that I can't take it anymore and have to redo it :silly:

lapushka
September 23rd, 2011, 12:17 PM
Loosening the offending strand(s) of hair, gently, with a rat tail comb is sometimes the answer (depends on the updo).

artemisjade
September 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
I will try to loosen it with a hair stick. If that doesn't fix it I'll give it five minutes and usually it goes away as my hair is super slippy. If after five minutes it's still pulling I'll redo the whole thing.

Neneka
September 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
That happens to me too when I try to clip my bangs away. It's so irritating and when it happens I just can't get it right. :( It was worse when I tried to bun my former BSL hair. So irritating. And yes, it always happens when I am in a hurry.

jojo
September 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
This happens to me too and its always when ive got my bun looking perfect, then I feel that small bunch of hairs pulling and so have to re-do and my bun after re-doing is never as perfect!

SusanSt
September 23rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
It's such a pain when that happens! (literally :)) I get a headache if I leave it, so usually have to re-do. Sigh.

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
I also really hate this and usually re-do it, although now I'm going to try the rat-tail comb! I just got one of those.