PDA

View Full Version : Stylist help

atlantaz3
July 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm nearing a trim and I really like my hair dresser. She will do exactly to the 1/2 inch what I ask for. She even researched dusting for my last trim. Here is my problem she is flat iron happy. I think she wants to get a really good straight hair cut for me so the flat iron is the answer for her to get my hair straight for a good cut. My under layer can get very wavy. What can I say to not have my hair flat ironed? And before you fuss at me I did ask last time and some how got talked around it.:rolleyes:

BittSweetCherry
July 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM
On the scale of things, flat irons are the hottest tools around (what insane temperature does the GHD one get up to?) so if straightening your hair is vital to a good, clean cut, perhaps choose a lesser evil. Apply a good heat protectant before you go, or ask your hairdresser if she can use one, and see if she is willing to (mildly) dampen your hair and straighten with a cool hairdryer and vented or paddle brush. It's more time-consuming and yes, heat + pulling on damp hair is not the best thing for your hair, but it can't be worse than boiling water molecules in the hair shaft until steam bursts through!

I've linked this once before, but it's a good start for understanding heat protectants. Like anything, take their product recommendations with a grain of salt (but they're so uncommitted to declaring anything a miracle I tend to like them):
The Beauty Brains: how to protect your hair from heat damage (http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/04/29/how-to-protect-your-hair-from-heat-damage/)

Riot Crrl
July 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
What? Sorry but what??? (I'm not blaming you, I just think this sounds like a weird practice.)

My hair is 3a and I never had anyone propose to cut my hair dry, either curly or flatironed. They always had it wet, combed it out with the tiny comb, pulled it straight with their fingers, and cut it. There is such a thing as getting your hair cut dry and curly, but it's kind of a specialty deal and I never had it done, and no non-specialty place I have been to ever suggested it. I have never had a stylist propose to flatiron my hair for any reason (though they do like the idea of blowing it out, but only after the cut).

I could be wrong but the only reason I can think of why they would want to do this, is thinking you normally flatiron and wanting to make sure it looks good that way.

EvaSimone
July 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
If you wear your hair without straightening it then it would make more sense for her to cut it in it's natural state rather than forcing it straight and cutting it.

I am a big chicken with hairstylists, I have put my foot down about how much can be trimmed and no blowfrying and I always go with freshly washed hair but I can't seem to tell her that I don't want her fine toothed plastic comb anywhere near my head . . . so I know that it's hard to be firm when it seems nit picky.

First of all if having a super straight hemline isn't important to you then reiterate that to her. Explain to her that you understand it will be harder to get the hemline just so but straightening your hair is too damaging and that you are trying to grow your hair long to such and such length. Then as the coup de grace ask her if she can cut it damp like most stylists seem to.

If she is unwilling to stop flat ironing I would politely say no thank you and find another stylist.

Personally I am a fan of Great Clips, as long as you are very clear about how much to cut they will clip only that amount.