PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Your Scissors?

Kyla
September 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
I received a pair of used hair scissors in the mail today from the swap board. The seller mentioned they needed sharpening, and I need some help as to how to go about that. I know how to sharpen knives, but I'm a bit lost as to how to do these. Do I use a waterstone, regular sharpening stone with oil, some special tool, etc? What do you guys use to sharpen your trimming/S&D scissors?

Devon77
September 21st, 2011, 11:23 PM
I am a hairdresser..Sharpening your scissors is not the same as a knife..I have a guy do it for about $15 to $20....Call a beauty supply in your area say you need your scissors sharpened..see if they have a # for you... or a local salon might have a phone #..the guy will come to you... They have a machine they use... hope this helps..

Kyla
September 21st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Thank you Devon77!

mora
September 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM
I am a hairdresser..Sharpening your scissors is not the same as a knife..I have a guy do it for about $15 to $20....Call a beauty supply in your area say you need your scissors sharpened..see if they have a # for you... or a local salon might have a phone #..the guy will come to you... They have a machine they use... hope this helps..
Sorry for the digression, but are you near central IL? I was thinking of taking a break from salons and trying to self-trim but a long-haired hairdresser would be better.

Rybe
September 21st, 2011, 11:59 PM
Oh hey, you're in NW Oregon! We have a guy who comes down from Salem at my place of work (fabric store) to sharpen our scissors, and I know he shaprens hair scissors too. There's also a place up in Portland that will, but I'm blanking on either of their names...Ahg...haha Scissorworks comes to mind but I tried to google 'em and came up with nothing. I could probably dig up their names if you're interested :p I'd call around cutlery places, they could probably reference you to someone who does scissors. And like Devon said, it's only about $10-15, and SO worth it if you have good scissors

Devon77
September 22nd, 2011, 12:08 AM
Sorry for the digression, but are you near central IL? I was thinking of taking a break from salons and trying to self-trim but a long-haired hairdresser would be better.

I am in the Northwest suburds of Chicago..

mora
September 25th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I am in the Northwest suburds of Chicago..
Drat...that's a little far for me now. I hope it didn't seem creepy that I asked.

Also, sorry for the thread hijacking.

hs_atreides
September 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have a Wusthoff knive sharpener that has an extra scissor sharpening piece. I have tried it on home scissors with some success but I would be reluctant with hair scissors. I say pay the sharpening pros, the sharp edge will last longer!

lastnite
September 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM
someone once said here you can sharpen your scissors on a glass bottle by 'cutting' the opening...

jeanniet
September 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Oh hey, you're in NW Oregon! We have a guy who comes down from Salem at my place of work (fabric store) to sharpen our scissors, and I know he shaprens hair scissors too. There's also a place up in Portland that will, but I'm blanking on either of their names...Ahg...haha Scissorworks comes to mind but I tried to google 'em and came up with nothing. I could probably dig up their names if you're interested :p I'd call around cutlery places, they could probably reference you to someone who does scissors. And like Devon said, it's only about $10-15, and SO worth it if you have good scissors
Rybe, I'm not in your area, but I do have a question for you. I use a pair of Gingher embroidery scissors for S & D (I use a different pair for trims) and they need to be sharpened. If I bring them into a fabric store will they be able to have them sharpened for me? Thanks!

ravenreed
September 25th, 2011, 12:38 PM
There is a guy that goes around to the local fabric stores about once a month. Last time I had 4 pairs of sewing scissors sharpened for about $7 a pair. Call a fabric store and ask if they know someone.

Rybe
September 25th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Rybe, I'm not in your area, but I do have a question for you. I use a pair of Gingher embroidery scissors for S & D (I use a different pair for trims) and they need to be sharpened. If I bring them into a fabric store will they be able to have them sharpened for me? Thanks!

I've never met a fabric store that has the capacity to sharpen scissors, but they might be able to point you at someone who can. I know our scissor guy actually MOSTLY sharpens hair scissors. I guess the process is pretty much the same with all scissors (except pinking sheers) and apparently barbers are way meaner to their scissors than even we are :D And we cut some nasty fabric. But we aren't constantly getting our scissors wet then dropping them tip first into plastic holders! Probably a good note to make about general scissor care...If you're like me and take super steamy showers, keep your scissors somewhere where they'll stay dry!

Though, as for asking fabric stores, I wouldn't recommend asking at, say, a Joanns...The ones around here wouldn't know good sewing sheers from a couple of butter knives taped together. But then again your location might have competent employees :D

jeanniet
September 25th, 2011, 12:58 PM
OK, thanks, I'll ask. I also just remembered that there's a knife shop in the next town/city that I think does sharpening, so I can check there next time I'm in the area.

ETA: Who knew? I just googled for sharpening services here, and there's a local guy who goes to all the farmer's markets and will sharpen my scissors on the spot for $5. There's also other options, so I should be able to get them sharpened in the next couple of weeks.

Honestwitness
September 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I just found a very good video on how to sharpen scissors. http://m.wikihow.com/Sharpen-Scissors

The guy explains not only how to shapen the blades, but how to adjust the blade tension using the screw that holds the blades together.

I'm definitely going to try this on my fabric scissors, but I'll wait until I'm sure of my technique and skill before I try it on hair scissors.