PDA

View Full Version : Hair Growth Recipes

julierockhead
September 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
We all should eat better, to improve our quality of life, guard against heart disease and cancer and diabetes, and to provide a good example to our children and grandchildren.

Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes:

I want to eat stuff that will make my hair grow thick and healthy, and fast! I have added MSM to my daily multivitamin (after reading about biotin I decided that it was a waste of $), and I have tried to eat better, modifying recipes and adding/subtracting foods with an eye to health (the health of my hair, that is).

I made a modified Tuna Helper for dinner tonight, my family didn't even notice the improvements. Here's what I did:

Got out my Tuna Helper (yay!)
Replaced the margarine called for with olive oil and flaxseed oil
Replaced half the tuna called for with Alaskan salmon
Replaced the milk with skim milk
After turning the boil down to simmer, I threw in a double handful of frozen broccoli florets

It was awesome.

Anyone else have recipes or meals they think are good for hair? Any stories about slipping healthy things into your family's diet without their knowledge or consent?

(Tune in tomorrow for my tasty guacamole recipe that I always make "extra" of, so I can use it as a hair mask/face mask later!)

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 09:26 PM
I trick myself into eating more protein at breakfast by eating half a sprouted wheat English muffin topped with cheese and ham or turkey, plus a hard-boiled egg on the side (I make a big batch once a week) and a cup of milk to drink.

Just a note - make sure you don't heat the flax oil in the pan (you can add it to the warm food when the cooking is done). When heated, it oxidizes into.. well, the stuff they used to finish furniture before polyurethane was invented.

julierockhead
September 22nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yes to the flaxseed oil advice! Forgot to mention how delicate flaxseed oil is to heat and oxidation. It must be kept refrigerated and it still is only good for a couple of weeks, so plan on using it quickly and buy in small amounts.

Mango Guacamole

Here's the guacamole/hair mask recipe! I think the hair mask works much better if you eat the guacamole while your hair is in the mask, but then, I am clinically insane.

Hair Friendly Ingredients:

3 ripe avocados, mashed with fork
1/2 cup plain full fat yogurt
1 cup diced mangos
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp coconut OR additional olive oil

Mix above ingredients well, then place 1/3 of the mixture into a blender or food processor, and blend until there are no lumps. Add coconut oil or olive oil if the mix is too thick. Smooth into combed hair and wrap in saran wrap or put on a shower cap, then cover with a towel or hat.

Wash hands and mix the remaining avocado/mango mixture with -

Tortilla Chip Friendly Ingredients:

1 small diced tomato
1 bell pepper, diced
chives, fresh or dried, 1 tsp. or to taste
1 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. of fresh basil
1 tsp. of hot sauce

Combine and eat! This is great as a sandwich spread too. Once you are full of yummy guacamole, rinse hair well with warm water, then very cold water, and air dry.

Lianna
September 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I believe hair will grow slower or even shed a lot when not getting enough nutrients and grows normally if you have a general healthy diet. Too much iron isn't good either...

I personally increase my growth with topical castor oil, it's less "work", and it works! :D

amantha
September 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Lianna.....do you have a source for iron not being good for hair growth? I was just told by my doctor that my ferritin is low or something and I need to take iron supplements. I don't want it to affect my already overly-shedding hair!! :(

P.S.- Your name reminds me of Lyanna Stark from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm currently reading Storm of Swords so my head is constantly in that world. :)

julierockhead
September 23rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
I believe hair will grow slower or even shed a lot when not getting enough nutrients and grows normally if you have a general healthy diet. Too much iron isn't good either...

I personally increase my growth with topical castor oil, it's less "work", and it works! :D

I'm using castor oil once a week also! Glad to know it's working for you. Absolutely a healthy diet is the very least you should be doing for yourself if you want optimal hair growth (and a healthy body and all that jazz).

Lianna.....do you have a source for iron not being good for hair growth? I was just told by my doctor that my ferritin is low or something and I need to take iron supplements. I don't want it to affect my already overly-shedding hair!! :(

P.S.- Your name reminds me of Lyanna Stark from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm currently reading Storm of Swords so my head is constantly in that world. :)

Being low on ferritin is low on iron, and that is bad news. Anemia is not a fun game - take a reasonable iron supplement and get retested for iron levels in three months or so. I was anemic and went on iron, with no ill effects, and now that my iron levels are back up I just rely on the iron in my multivitamin. Seems to be working out, and I experienced no shed or slowdown of growth.

Don't you just love R.R.'s books? So much fun, and the t.v. series has such great hair.

amantha
September 23rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
Being low on ferritin is low on iron, and that is bad news. Anemia is not a fun game - take a reasonable iron supplement and get retested for iron levels in three months or so. I was anemic and went on iron, with no ill effects, and now that my iron levels are back up I just rely on the iron in my multivitamin. Seems to be working out, and I experienced no shed or slowdown of growth.

Don't you just love R.R.'s books? So much fun, and the t.v. series has such great hair.

Yeah I don't understand why I'm low on iron/ferritin considering I take a daily multivitamin with 100% of my daily allowance of iron in it. I'm not anemic because my CBC was all normal. Although from what I've been reading, if I don't get my ferritin levels back up I will become anemic. And I'm already experiencing a lot of the symptoms of anemia, which I guess are the same as iron deficiency. I'm on Metformin for PCOS, which from what I've read can decrease ferritin levels. I'm waiting on my doctor to call me back because I'm afraid if I take a lot of iron it might decrease the therapeutic effects of Metformin. On the other hand I feel like poo and sickly all the time. When I get the green light from him I'll start the iron supplement that I bought. I'm glad to know that it shouldn't slow hair growth. If anything I think I probably need it because I'm experiencing a lot of hair loss, probably due to iron deficiency.

And OMG yes! Pretty much every female on that show has AMAZING hair....especially Daenerys (although I'm sure hers is a wig) :D. I'm a little confused as to why they cast Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell for season 2, considering her character is supposed to be like...14.

ingvild
September 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM

I don't think she meant that iron is bad for hair growth, but, that too much iron can be dangerous. You shouldn't start taking iron supplements unless your GP says you should.

If your dr said you should take supplements, then they will probably help your hair :) !

Anyway - I have no idea about hair growth recipes. :p I take a multivitamin and fish oil every day, eat healthy and exercise etc etc. I don't know what my growth rate is, though. Or if it would be slower if I stopped eating vitamins+fish oil. Hmm!

jojo
September 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
I wish I could remember the members name she has beuatiful calf length blonde hair, posts with lovely photos, does really good updos begins with A! oh im useless! but anyway she swears by having a tbs of peanut better a day and this is what I do and yes I do notice quicker growth...simples!

Purdy Bear
September 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have liver boiled in water twice week. It not only contains iron but also vitamin a - the later you have to been extremely careful with as it has nasty affects if you take an overdose.

Before I began to take it, I had no eyelashes but now Iv got a lot back. My Dr would never test me for ferritin and just said my iron was OK, the problem with that is, it can be on the very low side and they still say its OK!

bunzfan
September 23rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
I wish I could remember the members name she has beuatiful calf length blonde hair, posts with lovely photos, does really good updos begins with A! oh im useless! but anyway she swears by having a tbs of peanut better a day and this is what I do and yes I do notice quicker growth...simples!

I think you mean Arc and yes when ever i eat it i notice great growth, apparently its the protein in it. I also notice the same when i ate quite a bit of Yoghurt.

FrozenBritannia
September 23rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Well, I can't have yoghurt, bagels, cheese, ham or eggs, but I'm sure going to give the peanut butter a go! ( not feeling bad about eating it by the spoonful= priceless!)

MinderMutsig
September 23rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
I second the peanut butter and yogurt recs.

On days when I'm very active (which is pretty much every day since I started law school) I eat two slices of bread with peanut butter, two with apple syrup/molasses (it's a Dutch thing I think) and one or two with ham/cheese/grilled chicken/something else divided over breakfast and lunch. A piece of fruit and a couple of almonds as a snack. Then dinner with lots of veggies (broccoli is the best!) and later that night a small bowl of yogurt with muesli, some fruit and about a tablespoon of shredded flaxseed.

On days when I'm not as active I leave out some of the bread and have a homemade smoothie with fresh fruit, frozen fruit (blueberries!) and added fibers and a boiled egg for breakfast.

You have to be careful when you buy peanut butter though. Read the labels! There are a lot of peanut butters that hardly contain peanuts and are full of saturated fat and sugar. Muesli is also one to be careful with. There are a lot of different kinds on the market with very different caloric values and nutrients. Some of them are just plain evil.

It may be a bit monotonous with the same sandwiches and bowl of muesli every day but they all contain great nutrients that really seem to help not only my hair but my overall health. I lost a lot of weight on this diet and my hair definitely benefited too! Not only in length but also in condition.

I kind of like being able to get lazy about food. It may be a bit monotonous but I don't have to fuss over what I'm eating, what I'm going to bring with me to classes, if what I chose is healthy or if I need to counter it by eating less the next day. Every meal is set and all I have to worry about is dinner. I've been a lot more creative in that department since I started this which is always a good thing. ;)

celebriangel
September 23rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
I have liver boiled in water twice week. It not only contains iron but also vitamin a - the later you have to been extremely careful with as it has nasty affects if you take an overdose.

Before I began to take it, I had no eyelashes but now Iv got a lot back. My Dr would never test me for ferritin and just said my iron was OK, the problem with that is, it can be on the very low side and they still say its OK!

This. I take a daily multi which has 25% RDA of iron, and make an effort to keep eating lean red meat. I have much more energy when I do this! Yet, before I did this, the doc still said my iron was fine.

Well. Clearly if it was making me tired, it *wasn't* fine.

My daily multi has only 50% RDA of vit A, which is why I chose it. Even 100%RDA can, in some cases, be a bit heavy, but after doing some research I feel safe with 50%.

I also find that my body starts *vehemently* complaining if I stop eating meat/fish. Not sure why - I should be able to get sufficient protein from, e.g chickpeas and eggs, but it seems I can't (or I'd have to eat even more than I do!) My body really likes protein. 3 days without meat/fish and I start feeling really hungry all the time, and nomatter how many veggie things I eat I never feel full. Meat for me!

I've gone veggie long enough to test whether it would affect my hair growth, but I feel much healthier and more energetic when I make an effort to include eggs, fish, and lean red meat into my diet regularly.

I also feel terrible if I don't eat plenty of veg each day. I shall definitely start the peanut butter trick, though! I love peanut butter.

Cassie 123
September 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'd eat a whole jar of peanut butter every day if it would give me hair exactly like arc691's.

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I don't think she meant that iron is bad for hair growth, but, that too much iron can be dangerous. You shouldn't start taking iron supplements unless your GP says you should

Thank you. That is exactly what I mean. :) If someone is low on any nutrient they should seek normalize it (being diet or suplement).

julierockhead
September 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I'd eat a whole jar of peanut butter every day if it would give me hair exactly like arc691's.

Yeah I know right?

NaturalMommy
September 24th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'm kinda out there with my diet and eat pretty healthy. All organic and I just started juicing again. I make a lot of green smoothies too. I rarely eat grains and never gluten to keep my thyroid in top condition. I started adding ground up sea veggies to almost all my meals (I buy in bulk and grind in a blendtec - bladderwack, kelp, dulse) I'm taking oil of oregano and use a product called scalp clenz. I hope all this works, my hair was getting really thin for a while - but it has stopped falling so that's a good sign. =) :D

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I don't think I've noticed much overall difference in my hair based on diet, but it sure can't hurt! My mother in law takes evening primrose oil and says it's really helping her hair!

I have some sort of anemia where I have enough red blood cells, they're just too small. So I should probably be on iron.

For those eating liver - Is there anything special about the way you prepare it? I've only liked it cooked in chicken soup. Also have you noticed a difference in test results? Do you think it's better than an iron tablet supplement? I will mention about Vitamin A - all of the studies showing toxicity with high dosages were done with beta caratone. I don't think there's much harm in the natural sources of Vitamin A like liver or fish oils, and in fact they can be very healthy!

ocea205
September 25th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I have PCOS too and finally managed to stop the shedding .
I've been eating Prescriptive Formulas supplement for 2 months now and love it , it has everything u need in one package even the omega's .
I also use Folligen lotion and now I'm able to c regrowth .
mm also i use Nisim Fast for only 3 days and i shed no more :cheese:.
I'm so happy that i started to wear my hair down =) .

here is more about my experience which i hope would help u :
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1791989#post1791989 .

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 02:29 AM
More good quality protein and using coconut oil in my stir fries and cooking has made an enormous difference over the last 2 years. My hairdresser said that my hair had doubled in density (she hadn't seen me over a period of 6 months after I started using CO in my food).

10ish years ago I was put on iron tablets due to low stored ferritin and it reversed the thinning that was starting to become visible on my scalp aged 39ish. You don't have to be anaemic not to hang onto iron. Heavy periods were my cause, I have mildly polycustic ovaries too. You do need to get blood tests if you take iron but GPs do not understand iron and hair very well!

Diet is crucial because the body will service the needs of the hair last of all in a nutritional crisis. You need adequate protein etc etc

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I currently make sure I get adequate eggs, chicken etc Greens. I am experimenting with adding a little blackstrap molasses to sweet dishes. I had a drizzle over a ripe fig (loads of iron) and some blackberries last night. VERY strong flavour so I realise I have to go easy on the stuff!

I strongly recommend judicious use of coconut oil too.

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Just thinking about it. My hair doubled in density at a time when I was going really strongly for high levels of protein. It was that combined with the coconut oil that made a huge difference.I was doing a diet called Eat Fat Lose WEight or something like that. In the end, I decided that the levels of protein didn't suit me and I didn't lose weight either.

I am no longer high high protein and am enjoying porridge oats for breakfast, brown rice and quinoi etc alongside regular eggs, fish, chicken and so on I am going to ask my hairdresser when I next pop in, if the hair is still as dense.

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 03:24 AM
For those of you who prefer a high raw food route there is a fabulous book called Radical Rejuvination by Roxy Dillon. You may be able to get it second hand. She is big on seaweed, amino acid supplements, raw food, no coffee, herbs etc etc There is loads in there about skin and hair. I warn you, you do need some extra dosh/wonga/money to go the whole hog. I asked a local herbalist to put together a hair growth recipe for me which included spirulina and various herbs. Foolishly and typically, I took it twice and then got bored!!!

Cassie 123
September 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Just thinking about it. My hair doubled in density at a time when I was going really strongly for high levels of protein. It was that combined with the coconut oil that made a huge difference.I was doing a diet called Eat Fat Lose WEight or something like that. In the end, I decided that the levels of protein didn't suit me and I didn't lose weight either.

Sally Fallon's diet book, right? I call this my babymaking diet. I tried it twice, for one month each time, and both times I conceived a baby straightaway. :laugh: The only trick is swallowing all that coconut oil. :brains: I know it can be a good supplement but I can't stand it. I just don't know how people do it.

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Wow. Yes. And there is another english guy who has written along the same lines with a similar title. Barry ??

Interesting and fanastic that it helped you in conception too Cassie. Did you expect that to happen or was it an unexpected and delightful by-product?

I really like the taste of coconut oil so that isn't a problem. Did you continue with a variation on it or did the coconut oil make it completely unsustainable?

swearnsue
September 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I like the idea of taking regular recipes and adding or changing ingredients to make it healthier. I make white bread and can add quite a bit of nutritional yeast to the dough before hubby notices. I make 3 loaves at a time and can add maybe 1 or 2 tbs. I can add eggs, coconut oil, but not much wheat germ and ground flax or hubby will notice. Notice = He won't like. Morning oatmeal is another chance to add ground flax as a topping, wheat germ and almonds. I don't so this all the time but I put a pound of butter in the KitchenAid and mix well with olive oil, coconut oil and then put in containers to use instead of straight butter. Too much olive oil and you can taste it, not good if you want butter flavor, but adding the coconut oil makes the mix sweet and more buttery. Oh, and I can add a lot of Benefiber to our coffee and there is no taste, just a good way to start the day with some extra fiber.

Cassie 123
September 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Interesting and fanastic that it helped you in conception too Cassie. Did you expect that to happen or was it an unexpected and delightful by-product?

I really like the taste of coconut oil so that isn't a problem. Did you continue with a variation on it or did the coconut oil make it completely unsustainable?

It was just a happy surprise! ^.^

I've been a Sally Fallon fan ever since Nourishing Traditions was first published more than ten years ago. I am dreadfully lazy and a sugar addict to boot, but I still make the effort to at least buy my family raw milk and cheese from grass-fed cows, and eggs from pasture-raised chickens, and I take fermented cod-liver oil capsules daily.

hs_atreides
September 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
It seems that when my diet keeps my digestive tract happy my hair and nails are happy, too.
I have great results with whole grain porridges for BF (oats, quinoa, buckwheat). I drink a few TB of Kefir, esp if I have indigestion or heartburn, daily. My usual goal is to have half my meal be raw foods generally in the form of a salad. I eat lots of legumes, too.

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have Nourishing Traditions too. I would love to be able to get hold of raw milk and grass fed beef. That strikes me as very sound sense.

I'm so glad the diet had such a fortuitous effect on you. Hoorah.

Because I am always on the look out for new tips I am currently exploring the advantages of the Japanese diet ...just because there's such a strong emphasis on fresh stuff but I am no doubt going to hang on to my protein and coconut oil emphasis too.

Airmide
September 25th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Kapri (and others) if you're looking for a local source for raw milk, you may want to check this website: http://www.realmilk.com/ Many of those places also list sources for pasture raised meat.

Kapri
September 26th, 2011, 02:15 AM
hs_atreides

I found that very interesting re the digestive tract! I have often wondered whether health issues in my late twenties (chronic fatigue, digestive issues re various food types, possible candida etc) had a knock on effect in my later thirties. I tried to get hold of kefir at the local health food store the other week as part of a general health push.

The body just has to be in good working order, delivering nutrients where they are needed eh?

Kapri
September 26th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Airmide,

As a result of your link I found one for Engalnd too. Thank you. I am slightly allergic to most dairy (although I LOVE Greek yoghurt, cheese, any sort of dairy based pudding, French cheese etc) and am wondering whether raw dairy is a good way to go.

Thank you,

Kapri

Kapri
September 26th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I have only been taking blackstrap molasses in my oatmeal/porridge for a week now. I don't know if it is coincidence but I am having a very light period, by my standards.

If that is of interest, there are quite a few links on the web and here is just one related to the natural treatment of fibroids (I had them and extremely heavy periods):

http://shrinkingfibroids.blogspot.com/2008/01/blackstrap-molasses.html

This is not entirely off topic because the body's health, from what we are all saying, determines the quality of hair grown and whether extra nutrients can be spared for the hair.

I am enjoying this discussion!!!

Airmide
September 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Kapri, I'm glad you found a source! Do they carry goat milk? Raw milk is much healthier because the proteins do not get denatured during pasteurization. Goat milk is usually even better for those with intolerances.

That's interesting info about the fibroids! I don't know if I have them but it sounds like it can't hurt anyway. I bet molasses would be good stirred into hot cocoa with gingerbread syrup!

Kapri
September 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
The only thing I'd say is that BSM has a strong flavour so do watch the quantities.

Yes goats' milk is available on some farms. There are not many and it's a question of ordering specially or finding local stockists. Perhaps the demand is not great in the UK yet.

x

Hairitic
September 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Airmide,

As a result of your link I found one for Engalnd too. Thank you. I am slightly allergic to most dairy (although I LOVE Greek yoghurt, cheese, any sort of dairy based pudding, French cheese etc) and am wondering whether raw dairy is a good way to go.

Thank you,

Kapri

Hi Kapri;
Just wanted to let you know that I have problems with non-fermented and non-aged milk products as well :mad:. I have discovered that I can drink straight RAW cows milk with NO trouble :p! I am fortunate that I have a local Amish farmer who raises grass fed dairy cows and sells raw milk products on his farm about 10 miles from me :). It doesn't hurt that he is right across the road from a great little herb shop that sells thier own homegrown organic salad mix ;) (yum). It's amazing that when I get that salad mix, it lasts 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator :cheese:! The crap I get at the grocery store lasts a week if I'm lucky :mad:!

Kapri
September 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hairitic,

How lucky you are. That sounds wonderful. BTW, I'm based in the Uk but was actually born in Pennsylvania! Pittsburgh, that said..not one of the most rural areas. I gather it's a beautiful state.

I will pursue the raw milk trail.

Thanks for the encouragement,

Kapri

archel
September 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Amantha, I noticed all the characters in Game of Thrones were older than in the books. I think because they're all illegal these days for all that fornicating, LOL! After all, Danerys is supposed to be 13, ack!

amantha
September 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Amantha, I noticed all the characters in Game of Thrones were older than in the books. I think because they're all illegal these days for all that fornicating, LOL! After all, Danerys is supposed to be 13, ack!

Haha I figured. They were originally going to use that actress....oh geez what's her name...her first name is Tamzin....she played Henry VIII's last wife on The Tudors. Anyway she was originally cast as Daenerys....and I think she could have convincingly pulled off playing a 13 yr old....but she dropped off at the last minute and they recast Daenerys with the current actress.

Kapri
September 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM
??? Am I on the wrong thread???

archel
September 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM
If you read back a little you will most likely find the information you're looking for.

Kapri
September 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Gottit. I thought things had become surreal. Ta beaucoucp!

Lapin
September 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
spinach, beans, and veggie soup! I leave it simmering on the stove when i'm home, especially during a chilly day, and it's awesome.

i also like to make burritos, but the cheese and guac and sour cream are probably the reason why my clothes from last winter are just a bit tooooo tight for me to squeeze into.

Lapin
September 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM
also, dani's hair on GoT... jaw-dropping. and sansa has my very favorite color of hair ever!

speaking of GoT, i loved how Drogo's hair was described. what an awesome halloween costume he would make for those with hair below their hips!

Airmide
September 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I just had the comprehensive EISA food allergy panel drawn today. I'm SO SO hoping it won't show a dairy allergy!! Does anyone know if you can still drink raw cow or goat milk even with a positive ELISA test? I have a lot of auto immune issues and I don't want to be messing with my health, but OMG I LOVE dairy!

Kapri
September 28th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Airmide,

I'm with you on dairy... I still have quite a lot even though I have some sensitivity to it. I would be interested in what people say. Another poster a few posts back said she coped tolerated raw products well despite not coping with pasteurised products.

Kapri

eshta
September 28th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Airmede, I think goat milk contains less lactose and it's composition is close too human breast milk, that why a lot of lactose intolerant people have no or less problems with goat milk. Always best to check with you doctor in these cases.

Cassie 123
September 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Another recent thread here linked to this article about lifestyle factors associated with women's hair loss (http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/27/the-stress-of-divorce-writ-on-womens-heads/).

The part I love: coffee somehow protects against hair loss! :coffee: :cheese:

Kapri
September 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cassie,

As a coffee fiend also ...I wonder why that is???

Interesting eh?

Kapri

Aeris
September 28th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I've always eaten tons of garlic (I can go through a jar of raw garlic-stuffed olives in a day :o), I know it is great for hair growth. And it has tons of other benefits, so if you like it, it doesn't hurt to throw a spoonful in whatever you make.

I'll definitely agree with the peanut butter, but really, any kind of nut is great for the hair and skin. I try to eat some daily - I can't make my own almond butter anymore though, it is too addictive.

And seaweed is awesome for hair! Eat as much sushi as you can afford :p

Kapri
September 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Aeris,

I adore garlic ....so glad to hear it's good for hair growth!!

Airmide
September 28th, 2011, 01:13 PM
From what I've been reading there's a difference between dairy intolerance/lactose intolerance and a true allergy. I don't really have much symptoms of intolerance so it's the allergy that I'm worried about. I guess they test separately for cow and goat milk. We're planning to get some mini nubian goats someday when my energy level is up enough to care for them, so I will be REALLY upset if I'm allergic to goat milk also!

I believe there were some threads here a while ago saying that coffee and caffeine help hair growth even when applied directly to the scalp. Some people were worried about darkening, so there was talk about using ground up no-doze instead, but the problem was, there were was no information on the proper dosage!

I've also taken raw garlic for a few things. But I learned the hard way, DO NOT swallow what appears to be a small sized clove (you know, the individually wrapped pieces that break off a whole clove) whole like a vitamin capsule. If it's slightly too big or switches directions going down, it can get stuck, and drinking water will just make it swell.

Airmide
September 29th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, remember that time (like uh, 4 days ago) when I was all like....

For those eating liver - Is there anything special about the way you prepare it? I've only liked it cooked in chicken soup.

I completely take it back. I was dumping a bunch of chicken liver into some beef stew but then I worried I put in too much, but I didn't want to have to re-freeze it.

I heated a combo of butter and olive oil in a little pan. Then I whisked two eggs and some milk together in one bowl, and mixed some rice flour (we're gluten free) onion powder, coumin, some spice that looks a little like rosmary but isn't...maybe tarragon? lol it wasn't labeled in my cupboard, and a bunch of sage and a little brown sugar into a dish. I dredged the livers first in the flour, then the egg/milk, then back to the flour, and then dumped them into the oil.

OMG this may be my new favorite food. I swear, somehow it reminds me of Christmas, maybe the sage reminds me of the stuffing? It is SO rich and SO good and I could probably eat 1/2 pound of this a day lol. In fact it's 11:30 at night and I'm staring at the clock and wondering "Hmm where can I go buy more liver at this hour? Is it too late to fish some extra out of the stew to cook this way?"

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I think you mean Arc and yes when ever i eat it i notice great growth, apparently its the protein in it. I also notice the same when i ate quite a bit of Yoghurt.

yes thats the lady, her hair dresser reccomended it to her for growth, her hair is by her ankles proof enough for me!

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM

me too, sod the hips my hair can hide them:D