PDA

View Full Version : Have few questions about how to help my thinning hair & hemline issues (pics)

iluvmy67cuda
July 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Ok, so the first question, the easiest, is since my hair length isnt too thick, would a v cut make it look thinner? What hemline cut helps best to look thicker? (im not going to really CUT my hair, more just a tiny, less than 1/2" or so trim to even my hemline). Or does it look ok the way it is and i should leave it alone? I REALLY like the v cut look.

Second, and most important, as you can see in the pics, the hair on my scalp is getting SOOO thin!! And it scares me and looks horrible. I have polycistic ovary disease (and polycistic kidney disease), im bipolar and take Depakote and Clonazepam (which i've heard can cause hair loss), and have panic disorder, im constantly stressed, and overall have bad health and nutrition). So obviously thats why this is happening.

But what can i do to help it? I have to take my meds. Would that Monistat treatment help? Is there anything to help my scalp look fuller? I dont want to just wear headbands forever, and i cant really wear them right because my hair is so limp.

Or am i just crazy and its not as bad as i think? (since technically, im biopolar so i am crazy LOL)

Btw, i think my hemline is uneven because i switched from a center part to a side part, so i'll have to even the hem so its not crooked.

My routine is: CO all week, with head and shoulders conditioner and then either Aussie 3 min. miracle or Dove intense therapy condishoner, plus aussie leave in conditioner and aussie leave in cream condishoner. Once a weeks i use Suave clairfying shampoo (diluted an only on my scalp). I dont use a brush ever (as of about 5 months ago). I use a seamless wooden comb before and after washing, and sometimes once a day, but otherwise finger comb. And i have tryed not using cons, but my hair did REALLY bad without them. Oh, and at night i use a silk cap with a loose bun, and during the day its almost always up in a bun.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/001019-1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/001022-1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/001023-1.jpg

iluvmy67cuda
July 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
One last question, sorry to bombard you with all this, but you guys are my only refuge for help!!

Do you think a few long layers would help the way my hair looks, or make it thinner looking in the length? Maybe long bangs would help the way my scalp looks? Or make it worse?

akurah
July 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Layers are a nono for people trying to look as if they have thick hair. I also think bangs are a bad idea.

If you can switch from depakote to either lithium, topamax, or lamictal, that will help with the thinning... the valproates are NASTY when it comes to hair loss, and I think no matter how good depakote may be at controlling your bipolar, it's too likely to cause depression from the side effect of thinning hair to be worth it.

Monostat probably wouldn't hurt you, or you could try rogaine or nioxin. Anti-dandruff/anti-fungal shampoos (when used once every three or four washes) are also supposed to be good for slowing or stopping hair loss.

julya
July 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
I have found that finding a way to manage my stress was the best bet for stopping my shed. I was scared about hair loss earlier this year, but it seems to be under control now. Yoga, meditation, talk therapy can all be helpful. Improving your nutrition would be a good idea too, taking a multivitamin could be an easy start.

I noticed I was having shedding issues around February or March, but looking back it must have been going on for a number of months as I went from a iii to a ii in thickness. I miss my former thickness, but I'm hoping it will come back with time. My scalp is more visible also, but I think it is getting better. If I am planning to let my hair show, I smooth out the hair with a comb to try and get better scalp coverage. I also wear a buff as a headband pretty often. It covers most of my head except for my bun.

I didn't cut any bangs or anything, but I did get a bit of a trim, which improved my opinion of my hair. Good luck with everything!

iluvmy67cuda
July 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
the depakote doesnt even work! but my therapit just keeps uping the dose thinking it will work sooner or later. Yesturday he even said, 'its not the pills, its that your not trying'. i hate my therapist, i need to find a new one. I already tried lamictal and i had bad reactions. And he wont switch me to anything else. Im going to try to get a new doctor as soon as possible. NO meds i've ever tried have ever helped AT ALL. They just keep trying pills on me, i've probably been on ever one available and nothing happens. I'd just stop going, but if i do they'll cut my social security. SO maybe a new doctor will be willing to work with me more.

julya
July 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM
I hope that you can find a doctor who will try and work with you, and not just prescribe ever increasing doses of a medication that isn't working for you. That sucks!

iluvmy67cuda
July 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
so you guys definitly think bangs would make it worse? I love the way long bangs look although i've never had them (only a sad attempt i did myself years ago and screwed it up). But i definitly dont want to make the thinning look worse.

Theres got to be some secret of helping thinning hair!! somewhere. I gotta find something.

Silver & Gold
July 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Aha! I finally understand one of my daughter's hair problems. Her hair is thin at the scalp and she takes valproic acid to control seizures. So that is one mystery solved for me. I did a bit of research after reading this thread and found that foods rich in zinc and selenium might be helpful in hair loss that occurs when on a valproate.
You might consider visiting a dietician who might be able to offer you some suggestions for a healthy diet which will help your whole body function better as well as help you to produce more hair. Also, I'm wary of any doctor that prescribes medications willy nilly. It also sounds as if your doctor doesn't respect you very much at all to make such remarks. I wish I could offer you more help. All I can say is that I hope you find someone who can help you in a more natural, healthy way.

iluvmy67cuda
July 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Do you think Cassia would help thicken it up and overall make it look better?

julya
July 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
I had good luck using cassia, but not everyone likes it as much as I do. There is a cassia thread in the herbal hair care section, but the way I used cassia most recently is I mixed up about 4 or 5 tablespoons of the powder with a bunch of conditioner about 1/2 of a bottle and put it on dry hair. Then I covered it with a plastic grocery bag and left it on for a few hours. It did drip some, so keep a towel handy. I rinsed a lot in the shower, like at least 30 minutes to get it all out. I followed up with a rinse of catnip tea, and rinsed some more.

I don't know much about bangs, as I haven't had any since early elementary age. Maybe you could play around with clipping your hair to get the effect of how bangs would look on you. Remember the two week rule before cutting, but if you think you will like having bangs, I say go for it.

By the way, those little rat babies in your signature are so adorable!

missy60
July 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
You are using very thick conditioners for COwashing my hair would look thin and piecey at my scalp if I CO washed with those. Maybe add a mid week CWC also would help give the appearance of more hair. I think your length looks great it doesnt look thin or uneven to me at all.

*BelievingAgain
July 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I think you have absolutely beautiful hair, lovely colour and plenty of shine and body through the length...I love how the ends of your hair have that beautiful romantic curl/wave through them.

I'm sorry I'm no help in the 'help' department, I just wanted to tell you how struck I was by the pictures of your hair. I really, really hope you can find lots of helpful advice from other members here...and I think your rat is very very cute!!!

Jess :flower:

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
What I find odd is that you have LOTS of hair, but it does appear at the top, it's thinning.
My question--did you take this photo before you washed your hair? I know when I was shedding due to stress, if I didn't wash it, you could see a bit more of the scalp than when it was washed.

Remember, hair loss due to stress WILL return, so don't panic. I'd see your doctor to get input on this for health reasons. Good luck!

kate46
July 2nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
You are using very thick conditioners for COwashing my hair would look thin and piecey at my scalp if I CO washed with those. Maybe add a mid week CWC also would help give the appearance of more hair. I think your length looks great it doesnt look thin or uneven to me at all.

I agree with Missy60 here and just to add when I tried CO I shed like crazy. The thinning at your scalp may well be due to your medication but I'm wondering if the CO washing is adding to the problem.

Wishing you well :grouphug:
Kate

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 02:03 AM
i took this pic earlier this afternoon (tuesday), the last time i washed i did a CO, that was on Sunday night. Thanks for the complements on the length and my ratty too gals!

Well, i was using head and shoulders shampoo and then using head and shoulders conditioner (and switching between condishs from time to time inbetween that and Dove intense therapy and 3 min. miracle). And always used leave in conditioner. CO'ing has seemed to make my hair softer and easier to manage. But the thinning is horrible. I mean, this didnt suddently happen. I've been worrying about it for months, and it just really hit me this last week how bad its gotten. So even when i was shampooing it was still like that. I know its gotta be cuz of the pills and health problems. Im working on getting healthier, but i cant stop the pills even though they dont work, so i'll be trying to get that new therapist soon.

I'll try CWC. And if that doesnt work im going to do a complete switch, a find a no sulfate poo and a no cone conditioner and try that. OR, when i can get the $$$ i will get Cassia, but i dont have that kinda money to spend right now.

How often are you suppose to use Cassia? Once a month? Every other month? Im trying to get a idea of how much $$$ it'll cost.

Melian
July 2nd, 2008, 02:34 AM
Try ONE thing at a time. Take it easy. It sounds like you are stressing yourself way too much.
Ditch the CO thing for now and do CWC and see what it can do.
Try it for like a month. THEN if it isn't better try cassia. Some people love cassia and some people hate it.
Could it be that you shed more hair in the winter than in summer? Could be seasonal related.
And you mention that your nutrition isn't what it should be.
Your hair grows because of how healthy you eat, what kind of medication you take etc etc. Intake is very important. Try to eat more healthily, as it will also help you with stress. Carbs make you feel heavy, as it is hard to digest for your bowels. Light food, such as veggies and fruit, are easily processed.
And finally, have an honest talk with your doctor. Ask him WHY he does think you are not cooperating. Ask him WHY he does not want to change your medication. Talk talk talk. I think finding a new doctor will not solve your problems with your current doctor, but communication will. There are always two sides to a story.

julya
July 2nd, 2008, 03:55 AM
How often are you suppose to use Cassia? Once a month? Every other month? Im trying to get a idea of how much $$$ it'll cost.

I use senna actually instead of cassia, because the senna is pretty cheap and my understanding is that it is a very similar herb. I bought $2 worth of the senna powder and it was enough for two treatments. If you have a big health food store near you, I'd look there before buying the expensive stuff. I only started using it recently, but I think most people around here use it about once a month.

I know that I am my own worst critic, so when I was having my hair loss issue I thought my hair looked really bad. From the photos your hair looks lovely to me. Try and hang in there, and make which ever change seems the easiest first. For me, the easiest was to add in taking a multivitamin every morning, I did that for a while before doing other stuff.

lilalong
July 2nd, 2008, 04:17 AM
Did you take the pictures of the top of your head with a flash? It looks like it. I wouldn't trust those pictures. I can't explain why, but when I take a picture of my part with the flash, it looks like my part is humongous. It really doesn't match the appearance of it when I check it in the mirror.

Maybe the flash reflects back a lot of scalp because it's lighter than the hair?

I'd suggest asking someone to take a picture without flash.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Did you take the pictures of the top of your head with a flash? It looks like it. I wouldn't trust those pictures. I can't explain why, but when I take a picture of my part with the flash, it looks like my part is humongous. It really doesn't match the appearance of it when I check it in the mirror.

Maybe the flash reflects back a lot of scalp because it's lighter than the hair?

I'd suggest asking someone to take a picture without flash.
I agree with you lilalong. When I take a photo with flash, it's almost like an x-ray, finding every part and bit of "hair cleavage" that is not apparent in normal light.

iluvmy67cuda, I honestly don't think the thinning is nearly as bad as you think. Right now, your health is the most important thing, and worrying about your hair will only stress you out further, which is never helpful.

Personally, I've never had any problem with COing, and I've been doing that exclusively for 2 years.

I suspect that bangs will not make you happy. They can be quite a bit of bother if you're not used to them.

I really think your hair looks lovely just as it is. If you need to trim to make yourself feel as though you are "doing something" for your hair, I'd suggest taking off just a half inch.

Cassia is a really good option.

Most importantly, take care of yourself. And stop calling yourself "crazy". :flowers:

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Its about bed time, but as soon as i get up i will do that and post them. Hopefully its not as bad as i think. Also, im going to read up on this senna and find out about that.

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
Btw, i appreciate all of your help. I dont know what my hair would look like if i'd of never found LHC!!! I've learned sooo much.

lora410
July 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Well you are definitely thinning to be honest you may be also smothering your follicles with a constant headband if you are wearing it alot. I want to say try a sulfate free shampoo and a more natural conditioner. I don't think all the chemicals are helping any. Also I would give the monistat treatment a shot because alot of people had wonderful results on chemo bald spots and such. Try some scalp massages with rosemary, thyme, sage and lavender EOs mixed with a carrier. I have been doing this for 2 days and my shedding is almost zilch right now so that may help as well. If all else fails I would suggest seeing a dermatologist. My boss is on anti-seizure meds and her hair is thinned alot more then your is; so it could be alot worse. best of luck and god bless :flower:

JessTheMess
July 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
First and foremost I want to tell you that you have absolutely stunning hair! I'd give my left leg to have your shine and length. To me it doesn't look like it is thinning that badly.
I was losing what seemed like handfuls of hair when I was depressed, stressed out and living not so healthy. I started taking multivitamins and fishoil and that seemed to help the overall condition of my hair as well as my health.
I would be wary of any doctor that wants to keep upping the dosage. Tell your doctor that the only effect that the meds are having on you are hairloss and more stress and depression brought on by the hairloss. Ask if there any other options.

JessTheMess
July 2nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
P.S. I love the misfits too and your ratty is cute <3

lora410
July 2nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
the depakote doesnt even work! but my therapit just keeps uping the dose thinking it will work sooner or later. Yesturday he even said, 'its not the pills, its that your not trying'. i hate my therapist, i need to find a new one. I already tried lamictal and i had bad reactions. And he wont switch me to anything else. Im going to try to get a new doctor as soon as possible. NO meds i've ever tried have ever helped AT ALL. They just keep trying pills on me, i've probably been on ever one available and nothing happens. I'd just stop going, but if i do they'll cut my social security. SO maybe a new doctor will be willing to work with me more.

If the meds aren't helping I wouldn't bother taking them until you see a new doctor. I am glad you are looking into a new doctor, Any one doc who just upping doses and thinking something will work isn't intrested in really help solve the issue.

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
Thankyou! i appreciate it. Yes all my babies are gone now except my little boy Beasley, but im getting 2 albino girls in a few weeks. i cant wait!!! Yah and im SO mad, i had one chance to see the Misfits live a few years ago in san francisco, and they closed it down right before it started because they thought there would be a riot!!! omfg. All i wanted to do is see glen danzig in person!! its not fair! lol.

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Yah my doctor is a dick, and the one before and the one before. I didnt have ANY insurance until recently, now i have medicaid, so hopefully i can find someone, anyone is worth a shot. He acts like im making it up for attention!!! Yah, im 24, and i want to waste my youth staying at home and on a ton of pills and owing $$$$ on doctors JUST FOR FUN!!! woohooo. omfg. I hate doctors that think they know EVERYTHING, because they dont, they misdiagnos ppl every day, and they arnt perfect, they should be able to take suggestions and talk with me at least. I definitly dont want to be sick!! ahhh. the story of my life...

SHELIAANN1969
July 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM

If you get SSI/ or SSDI they CANNOT STOP YOUR CHECK, because you don't go to a THERAPIST, especially one that doesn't work.

I am not saying to STOP going and I know that sometimes they do periodic reviews.

You may be better off seeing a Family Dr/ General Practicioner and explaining that these drugs they are shoving down your gullett are doing MORE HARM than good.

I have a friend who is bipolar and has been on one med after another since she was 11 years old, she is now 48! They will never stop!

And EVERY new drug, is the 'WONDER DRUG"

My friend was taking RESPIRADOL back in 95, when it first came out, and it was over 500$ a month and she was only getting like 700$ a month Social Security (we were in Ca)

The Dr told her she NEEDED this drug, I said to my friend..."How can you pay this money, for this drug and pay for food and rent and smokes etc?"

She actually said "Oh well, I wll be homeless, I dont care, as long as I have QUOTE "this wonder drug" and cigs, I will be fine!!!

She finally came to her senses, I had helped her get OFF all her meds at one time, by weaning her off, but EVERY time she went to a therapist or a psych Dr, she went BACK to the pills.

She now on Clonopin, Depakote, and a host of other things as well, she is now 80 miles away and I cant help her, she believes every word these dr's say to her, and a lot of them have given her HORRIBLE advice.

She was in these group sessions where she hooked up with "friends" who ended up stealing her money and meds, it was a mess, she finally quit going.

I am not saying this is YOUR case or situation, but you could look for a family doc that will still assist you with SOME meds you need and some you dont, nobody can force you to take what harms you or what you dont want to take.

Good Luck on whatever your choices are, I know they are difficult ones to make.

ETA: I also wanted to add that I was in no way suggesting you go off your meds, maybe another Dr can assist in different/ less meds!!! :)

akurah
July 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
If the meds aren't helping I wouldn't bother taking them until you see a new doctor. I am glad you are looking into a new doctor, Any one doc who just upping doses and thinking something will work isn't intrested in really help solve the issue.

Please do not stop talking any meds without doctor supervision without THOROUGHLY researching first. Some meds will have a withdrawal associated with them, and I can assure you the withdrawal isn't pleasant for some of these meds.

Darkhorse1
July 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
A balanced diet will definetly help your whole body, hair included. But, just a quick note, carbs are easily processed by the body. Complex carbs--this is what athletes eat just before competition as it stores easier and your body will use this up (just before competition). Fruits are carbs. Protiens are defined as animal by-products. (milk, eggs, meat, cheese etc)

Protien is ideal to make lovely hair. When I ate more milk products, my hair looked amazing. Unfortunetly, I am lactose intolerant, so I suppliment my calcium.

Also, someone here gave very good advice:
NEVER GO OFF MEDS WITHOUT A DR'S SUPERVISION

SSRI drugs and many anti-depressants work by building up IN your body. As a result, if you just stop taking them, you will have very bad side effects, including potentially life threatening ones. Please consult a doctor before dropping medicitation and before changing your diet.

Good luck! :)

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Yah i need to find a new doctor as soon as possible. Last time my old doctor told me 'i pity your mother for having you as a child' and i left and quit my seroquel cold turkey and had the chills and was really sick for a week. Im just going to have to start seeing a new doctor while seeing the old one, and telling the new one whats going on, and then see what the new doctor says and go from there. Honestly, with my panic disorder, and physical symptoms wouldnt be too horrible, because when i have bad panic attacks (usually about 7 or 8 times a week) i think im going to die anyways LOL.
But no, im not going to just quit them like that again. Im going to get a good doctor, or at least keep trying them until i find a good one. I dont need withdrawls right now, ive got enough trouble on my own. i wont, i promise.

Katze
July 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
67cuda, I didn't read through the whole thread, but as a former manic-depressive and almost-hair twin, I felt obliged to post.

I have the same "hair cleavage" as in your shot-from-the-back pic. My hair falls that way naturally, and it looks like I have a bald spot. Combing it differently, or "arranging" it over those spots in a half-up, helps a lot, though I am still learning.

In the pics from the top, is your hair brushed totally flat? If it's not, apologies, but I also find that I have to be careful and not brush the top...for what it's worth.

As for health, I agree on the new doctor idea. Medicine can be so demeaning and unkind, especially if you're down already. But you deserve, and are worth, the kind of help YOU want, including feeling better.

Are you taking supplements? Omega-3 essential fatty acids (found mostly in fish) are both good for hair and connective tissue as well as for mood and energy level. Studies have shown that many people are deficient in these, and that their deficiency is linked to depression and anxiety. It's helped me, a lot, and I still take them every day.

As for hemline, I'd suggest keeping it like it is or even making it blunter. And as your hair twin, I can also say that layers are NOT the answer.

Good luck and :flower: to you

Katze

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
No i dont even use my bbb at all anymore, only my wooden comb every once in a while. But that pic was taken on the 2nd day after CO'ing. I think i'll have to start gently using some shampoo again, and try a sulfate free one. Im also just messing with it trying different hairdo's to see if any might help. The only suppliments i take are just the average multivitamin.

Im still pretty hair retarded, when you say blunt cut, do you mean like a u shaped blunt or a v? i think right now its kind of slightly v'ish? its harder to tell when its wavy, but thats how it is naturally. I might do a mini trim of less than 1/4" just to make the ends all new, might help my hair feel better.

When i get the $$ im totally going to try Cassia!! But im broke yet and waiting for my first social security check, so for now i cant buy anything really.

iluvmy67cuda
July 3rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
I just wanted to say that i CWC'd tonight so we'll see if that helps. But there is good news, since i havent been keeping track of my length that much, im actually finally at tail bone length! yay. a little bit longer, but it was wet, so just about at tb dry. YAY. i cant wait to get to classic length!!!