PDA

View Full Version : Does protein build-up cause split-free ends?

CurlyCap
September 21st, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi All.

I've been having some breakage lately, which is really rare for me. But I have been using a leave-in treatment with protein in it on and off for the last few months.

I think I have breakage because when I look at the hair I lose, it has no root bulb on the end. HOWEVER, what's weird is that both ends are perfectly straight, as if both were cut with a scissor.

Every other type of breakage I've had leads to a jagged, gross edge on the broken side.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to think about changes I've made to my hair care that could cause this.

Sundial
September 21st, 2011, 07:26 PM
That is exactly what happened to me when I had an overload on protein. I had little bits of broken off hair mostly about 1-2" long and there are no bulbs just clean unsplit ends. The breaks are clean and I wouldn't have realized there was breakage if I hadn't noticed the small broken bits of hair. I'd most likely have thought I reached a stall in growth since S&D didn't turn up any split ends.

That stopped when I found the cause (protein heavy shampoo and conditioners) and stopped using all products containing protein.

AnnaJamila
September 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
That probably is the problem.

I'm wondering if that's what could be going on with me; I tried an after color treatment with protein and my hair has been "gummy" ever since. :(

CurlyCap
September 21st, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hmmm. Another change I've made is mixing oil with my conditioner. I love it, but since it was a spur of the moment decision, I just used whatever oil was in the house. The current mix is 1/2 conditioner, 1/4 olive oil, 1/4 coconut oil.

I can stop using the leave-in, which says it has silk protein in it, bu should I also remake my oil-conditioner? Maybe just olive oil?

YepLilly
September 21st, 2011, 08:12 PM
If there's no bulb and you you see blunt ends that means breakage. Tapered ends on one side and a bulb on the other means shedding. However, breakage can happen due to many things: protein overload, moisture overload, rough brushing, elastic bands, etc. If your hair feels rough and ends are velcro-like then yes, too much protein. If your hair feels fragile and mushy, then you need more protein. HTH :)

celebriangel
September 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hmmm. Another change I've made is mixing oil with my conditioner. I love it, but since it was a spur of the moment decision, I just used whatever oil was in the house. The current mix is 1/2 conditioner, 1/4 olive oil, 1/4 coconut oil.

I can stop using the leave-in, which says it has silk protein in it, bu should I also remake my oil-conditioner? Maybe just olive oil?

huh? Why would you change your conditioner?

Sounds like protein buildup to me. To fix, quit using the proteiny thing, then do an SMT.

CurlyCap
September 21st, 2011, 09:33 PM
huh? Why would you change your conditioner?

Well, my conditioner mix has coconut oil, and some threads claim that can also contribute to protein build-up.

Sundial
September 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Well, my conditioner mix has coconut oil, and some threads claim that can also contribute to protein build-up.

In a way it does, because coconut oil is said to prevent loss of protein. I may be extreme, but I also cut out coconut oil after I narrowed down the cause of my breakage to protein overload so that my hair doesn't retain excess protein. I'm probably overreacting but you've no idea how freaked out I was to find broken bits of hair on my pillow every morning :p

CurlyCap
September 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
LOL.

I love it when things work!

So I went on a seek and destroy in my haircare routine, and it turns out almost every product had protein somewhere in the list (usually hidden in the middle). Individually, they probably would have been fine, but together it was protein overload. I've only been protein free a few days and the breakage has already stopped! SO HAPPY! :cheese:

This also explains why, after years of using the same product, my hair started to feel dry after conditioning. It was weirding me out and now I have an answer.

Last question for the protein gurus. My dry hair LOVES conditioner. Any recs for a protein-free ultra-moisturizing conditioner?

THANKS EVERYONE!!

CurlyCap
October 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yep yep.

Switch to an all protein free hair regiment for about 3 weeks now and the hair is back to super soft with not a break in site.

Just wanted to leave a final update in case someone searched this thread later.

Diamond.Eyes
October 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Protein makes your hair really brittle and hard. Imagine trying to bend an ice-cycle, that's what hair with protein build-up is like. :/