PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here, question about scritching

Vanilla
September 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm new here, but I have been reading around, and am amazed at how beautiful everyone's hair is.

Anyway, I've been using a plastic "shampoo brush" with plastic tines on dry hair to stimulate my scalp and move some of the oil down the length.

Is there a better tool out there to do the job? My fingertips don't seem to work very well.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 06:50 PM
Horn combs (Google will give you some excellent sources) are good for scalp scritching and will help move the sebum, and boar bristle brushes are the best for distributing oil down straight hair. :)

Madora
September 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
Pure boar bristle brush distributes your hair's natural sebum, plus rids it of lint, dead hair cells, etc. It also exercises your hair follicles and over time, imparts softness and shine.

Vanilla
September 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the advice :). I will be sure to check out google for a horn comb.

Do you guys have a preference for brands for a boar bristle brush? It's been years since last bought one.

Madora
September 21st, 2011, 08:17 PM
Vanilla...if you're anywhere near Manhattan, you might like to visit Madora's Long Hair Heaven 422 Madison Avenue, nr. 48th, and see what they have on hand.

You can also find bbbs at Sally's, Target and Walmart.

Just be sure that you try and test the brush beforehand..i.e.
how stiff (or not) the bristles are and how comfortable it feels in your hand.

Not all bbbs are created equal. Some bristles are longer and thicker, while others can be shorter and thinner. Also, I personally found the shape of the brush determined how well it went through my hair. The oval bbbs were a holy trial and my thick, long hair hated them. My current brush, made by Goody back in the 1970s, is narrow and has 6 rows of bristles.

Also, be sure that the brush lies FLAT when you put it down. A rounded brush is meant for short hair.

Vanilla
September 21st, 2011, 08:24 PM
Vanilla...if you're anywhere near Manhattan, you might like to visit Madora's Long Hair Heaven 422 Madison Avenue, nr. 48th, and see what they have on hand.

You can also find bbbs at Sally's, Target and Walmart.

Just be sure that you try and test the brush beforehand..i.e.
how stiff (or not) the bristles are and how comfortable it feels in your hand.

Not all bbbs are created equal. Some bristles are longer and thicker, while others can be shorter and thinner. Also, I personally found the shape of the brush determined how well it went through my hair. The oval bbbs were a holy trial and my thick, long hair hated them. My current brush, made by Goody back in the 1970s, is narrow and has 6 rows of bristles.

Also, be sure that the brush lies FLAT when you put it down. A rounded brush is meant for short hair.

Thanks for the detailed information! I'll actually be in manhattan this weekend (I live about 40 miles away). I'll try to stop by there then :).

Vanilla
September 23rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
I passed by a Sally beauty store on my way home from work yesterday, and they had beautiful wooden combs and boars head bristle brushes. I ended up buying both while I was there; I couldn't wait to go to manhattan. :)

I started combing my hair with the wooden comb this morning and I had to double check to see if it was detangling, it glided right through my hair.