PDA

View Full Version : Wash out Oil w/o shampoo?

unknown
September 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
I CO/egg-wash my hair. I've applied oil (olive, sunflower seed etc) several times but never managed to get it out of my hair without shampoo.
I've always been applying the oil on damp hair and applied conditioner to it before I tried to rinse it out.
Then I read about this girl who applies oil to her dry hair, leaves it in for a while and applies conditioner which she leaves on for one hour before she rinses it all out.
Should I apply the oil to dry hair instead? Tips anyone?

longhairedlady
September 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM
I oil my hair and just did a CO wash. This is how I got the oil out of my hair.
1. I rinsed my scalp hair with my hot water using my detachable shower head using a strong spray.
2. I apply conditioner to my scalp and length of my hair.
3. I massage my scalp hair and rinsed with hot water throughly.
4. I then reapplied a second CO mixed with a small amount of EVOO to the scalp and length and massaged the scalp and detangled.
5. I then rinsed with cold water.

My hair came amount fluffy, soft, and smooth! :) Of course this is what works for me, and might not work for everyone. :)

unknown
September 21st, 2011, 04:17 PM
1. I rinsed my scalp hair with my hot water using my detachable shower head using a strong spray.
4. I then reapplied a second CO mixed with a small amount of EVOO to the scalp and length and massaged the scalp and detangled.

My hair came amount fluffy, soft, and smooth! :) Of course this is what works for me, and might not work for everyone. :)

I'm going to try that. Did it take a long time to wash it out?

longhairedlady
September 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM
I dont think it took too long. I spent the most time on step #1.

teal
September 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
You might find this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78635) helpful.

Chetanlaiho
September 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM

So you're basically doing the oil shampoo technique with conditioner only in step 4? Intriguing! Def going to try that one =)

einna
September 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM
So you're basically doing the oil shampoo technique with conditioner only in step 4? Intriguing! Def going to try that one =)

Me too! This sounds very interesting.

longhairedlady
September 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
Now I am gonna have to find out what the oil shampoo technique is! :P

Madora
September 21st, 2011, 06:40 PM
I EVOO with a small amout of olive oil on dry hair and leave it in overnight.

The EVOO is rinsed out the next day with shampoo and then I condition. Both shampoo and conditioner are diluted. Works like a charm.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 08:08 PM
The type and quantity of oil makes a big difference for me. Olive oil used in large quantities is notoriously difficult to remove. Try starting with just one teaspoon of coconut oil, and if the excess washes away easily then you can try using more next time.

I use mine just like the girl that you mentioned: apply oil on dry hair, leave on overnight, then dampen hair, apply conditioner, let sit 30 minutes, and rinse out. No shampoo needed. Works like a charm unless I overdo it with the oil.

CaityBear
September 21st, 2011, 08:09 PM
I always oil dry hair. Sleep on it. Slather on conditioner next day (do NOT wet hair). Sit for however long I feel (30 minutes to 2 hours) then hop in shower. The next part is the MOST important part! Only get a little bit of water on your hair and massage your scalp and hair and make the conditioner a bit more...sudsy?. Let sit...wash body or face or whatever then add more water, massage, sit, then rinse while massaging.

I find that oil doesn't come out nearly as good unless I slowly massage and let the conditioner do it's work. Because it's not as harsh as shampoo it does take a bit longer to work but when I follow that process it always gets it out! :)

And it doesn't usually take long. After I hop into the shower the whole process of my shower (washing hair, body and face) takes between 5-10 minutes. Closer to 10 on a lazy day.

unknown
September 22nd, 2011, 02:33 AM
Sadly I just can't sleep with oil in my hair, I always move a lot in my sleep. Imagine the mess....

I've decided to try the method mentioned by longhairedlady and will post back once I rinse out the oil.

mice
September 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
I just mix a bit of argan oil with honey and conditioner and apply to the lengths after a CO-wash and then rinse with cold water.. Never experienced my hair being oily afterwards :)

longhairedlady
September 22nd, 2011, 02:51 AM
Sadly I just can't sleep with oil in my hair, I always move a lot in my sleep. Imagine the mess....

I've decided to try the method mentioned by longhairedlady and will post back once I rinse out the oil.

Good luck! I hope it works for you! :)

CaityBear
September 22nd, 2011, 02:53 AM

You don't have to sleep in it. Today I did it and washed it out a few hours later I just usually do it overnight. I saturate my hair in oil a few hours before I go to bed so by the time I go to bed it's mostly soaked into my hair then I braid it and sleep on a towel (and sometimes with my hair pinned up underneath a handkerchief).

unknown
September 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I used a 50/50 mix of castor oil and sunflower seed oil on my scalp and EVOO on the lengths. I had the oils on for one and a half hour and afterwards I rinsed it out the way longhairedlady did, except I left the conditioner in for about an hour before rinsing.

It actually worked! Barely any oil left in my hair and lots of volume.
The oil residue soaked up during the day. I now have really soft and shiny hair.
I will definitely continue doing this :)
Thanks to everyone for the help.

longhairedlady
September 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I used a 50/50 mix of castor oil and sunflower seed oil on my scalp and EVOO on the lengths. I had the oils on for one and a half hour and afterwards I rinsed it out the way longhairedlady did, except I left the conditioner in for about an hour before rinsing.

It actually worked! Barely any oil left in my hair and lots of volume.
The oil residue soaked up during the day. I now have really soft and shiny hair.
I will definitely continue doing this :)
Thanks to everyone for the help.

:cheese: Yay for soft and shiny hair!!

infinity_girl
September 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM
What kind of hair do you have (thick, thin, curly, straight?). I normally put oil on to dry hair (coconut/castor oil) and leave it on for a bit. It will not come out unless I do about 2 CO washes. If I used shampoo it would come out straight away. I agree that shampoo will completely remove oil but with my hair it takes away all the benefits of oiling and leaves my hair very dry again. However, I don't really like the feel of my hair after CO washing out oil as my hair still feels a bit greasy and after a few days looks greasy and unkempt, I think that is build up.