PDA

View Full Version : Hairline flakes?

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 12:10 PM
Switching away from SLS shampoos and adding an ACV rinse got rid of my general flakiness, but I still get this flakiness on my front hairline that I just can't get these flakes to go away!

I've tried increasing my rinse time (to make certain this wasn't some kind of residue), lowering my water temperature, being more careful to get the ACV rinse on my hairline, using a chamomile rinse, and none of that helps. Rubbing a bit of coconut oil on my scalp there seems to help a little, but it doesn't look great.

Anyone have other ideas on how to take care of this?

Thanks,
~Blaze

teal
September 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Just a thought... what are you using to wash your face? Maybe it's part of the problem?

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm WO on my face, mostly steam actually. So I'm not putting anything on my face.

~Blaze

kaned_ferret
September 22nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
I have found that no sulphates/cones, CO and deep EVOO oiling has pretty much solved my flakiness, but every now and then I still get a bad patch, so will still resort but to my trusty Nizoral shampoo just to treat that patch - one application fixes it, so I can cope with a bit of medicated sls for the sake of that - if you haven't tried it already, give it a go :)

Hypnotica
September 22nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
Some people just sheds skin in a higher rate then others, have you consider doing a sugar scrub?

KwaveT
September 22nd, 2011, 06:53 AM
I haven't even realized it to this point, but my dandruff is all but gone. I stopped using shampoo and use only cone-free conditioners now. I did an ACV rinse on my hair about two or three weeks ago. I solved my own problem without realizing it. I could used to run my hand through my head and set off a atomic bomb of dandruff into the air.

unknown
September 22nd, 2011, 08:05 AM
I'd also recommend a sugar scrub;
mix some sugar with EVOO and carefully rub the scalp.
Are you allergic to something? Some people experience dryness/flakiness due to the ingredients in their shampoo/conditioner/styling products.

Panth
September 22nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
What conc. is your ACV rinse? I did a white wine vinegar rinse yesterday and I'm getting exactly the same issue, despite having no problems with it normally. I'm suspecting it's because I was a little careless with measuring the vinegar.

I usually go for 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 pint lukewarm water.

BlazingHeart
September 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
It probably wouldn't annoy me so much if it didn't happen in just ONE spot - 1/4"-1/2" along the front hairline. That's it - everywhere else I've got a pretty normal scalp, facial skin doesn't flake much, but along my hairline, I have these huge flakes (about the size of an oat, if you cook with oats). They hurt a bit when they come up and my scalp is red and tender underneath.

I developed a sensitivity to SLS, that's why I switched away from it. It made my whole scalp itch painfully and flake. When I stopped using the SLS (moved to 'poo bars) and started using an ACV rinse, the flaking stopped everywhere except about 1/4"-1/2" right at my hairline.

I use a 32 oz cup for my ACV rinse and put in maybe an ounce.

If I remember, I'll try a sugar scrub the next time I wash my hair.

~Blaze

Medusa
September 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
That almost sounds like psoriasis...does anyone know if you can get psoriasis on your scalp only?