PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying to fade dye?

ebba
September 21st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hello ladies & gents!
So a few weeks back i dyed my hair what i thought would be a chocolate brown and it ended in a blue/black dyed mess
this was a few weeks ago and my hair has faded a bit but my roots are coming in and my hair is a fairly light brown.
Because my hair was a bit damaged at the ends it really soaked up the black so now it i have black-ish ends and front bits, but the back of my hair is a bit lighter and less severe.
This then leads me to my dilemma; now with my roots coming in light, I want to find a way to strip the color so it can grow out and not look clownish. I don't know if I should use a clarifying shampoo to slowly strip the color (don't even know if that works haha), or if i should just try and use a lighter dye to lighten it up a bit.
any suggestions?? thanks in advance haha

PinkyCat
September 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
I heard that protein treatments like the Aphogee Two Step will fade color if applied too soon after application. That may be a healthier option. FYI - You can NOT lighten black dye with a lighter dye. If you must get it out fast, use a gentle color remover lke Color Oops.

ebba
September 21st, 2011, 12:17 PM
cool thanks!
and yeah i know, but it's not "goth black" but it is a very very dark brown so i don't know if that makes a difference, lol probably not

UltraBella
September 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yes, clarifying shampoo -especially made to remove chlorine - will fade color. I have done this successfully.
Even better for fading is a trip to the Bahamas. Spend as much time in the salt water as you can and then let your hair air dry in the sun, dye is gone like magic ;)

Leisje
September 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM
If you want the dye to come out I would suggest using a product like Colour Oops/Colour Fix. They are designed to remove unwanted dye. I've used it before to remove really old black dye and it lifted the colour quite a bit. For a newly applied dye I think you will have an even easier time of removing it with this product.

Other then that you can try a lot of deep oilings. Those tend to pull out colour. More frequent washings will of course fade the dye sooner too.

Good luck!

isabelx
September 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
Any shampoo with sulphates seem to fade my hair colour extremely quickly, so yes :)

Lianna
September 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Another vote for Color Ops. It doesn't damage and you can get as light as you were before you dyed.

katienoonan
September 21st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Colour Oops has a UK version... Colour B4... it doesn't say where you're from but I used this product yesterday and it was perfect... it contains no ammonia, bleach or peroxide... may hair is not damaged atall... it just smelt very eggy! xxxxxx :D

Gwen
September 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
I used Head & Shoulders Classic Clean on my brown hair. A couple of washes and the colour faded significantly in less than two weeks. You'll see a difference the first time you wash.

summerstarlet
September 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM
Volumizing shampoo is supposed to get rid of color too. Color Oops works well but I found that it severely dried my hair out. I used one by Ion that worked very well and didn't damage my hair as much.

Eirelin
September 21st, 2011, 09:46 PM
First: My profound apologies for the length of this post, but I just had to share after reading your description of the color you got versus the color you expected.

I was rather ignorant about hair dye, having used box dye perhaps once or twice a year to get rid of the grays and make the sun-blonded canopy match the rest of my strawberry/ginger hair. I noticed that the reddish box dyes would always fade away completely so that you could never tell I had ever done it, so I therefore (silly me) assumed that other colors would also fade. So, last October, I went ahead and got a box of this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/65965_169568139722245_100000071796284_637387_23637 84_n.jpg

I figured that since it was a warm tone, pretty close to a dark version of my shade, it would eventually fade back pretty close to my natural color. My Halloween costume was a black & red pirate outfit (really pretty with the greatest black hat with sweeping red ostrich plumes), and the lighter hair just did not look right with it at all.

Well, this was the general idea. But this is the hair I ended up with (also explaining the distressed look on my face):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/72490_169569006388825_100000071796284_637392_15012 06_n.jpg

Well! I washed and washed and clarified and crushed Vitamin C tablets and clarified some more and did everything I could to try make it better. After about 4 weeks, I had this, which was much better and actually made my eyes stand out a bit:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/73729_174820455863680_100000071796284_672658_71978 88_n.jpg

Oh, and as for Halloween, this is how it looked with the costume (cell phone photo after 3 days of Halloween parties, very little sleep, and sweating a LOT):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225470_219748964704162_100000071796284_1011664_398 0643_n.jpg

The color was great for the costume! But then I was stuck with it. It wouldn't fade at all, and then my gingery roots started growing back, and I began to look like my hair was falling out. I tried a root touch-up kit, but it didn't work, and the patch just got worse and worse.

Finally, I picked up some Color Oops. Hooray! The really funny thing is that it said it was just to remove the dye so you could color it again, with a warning about how it would leave the red tones so you should really be sure to have your next batch of dye ready to use.

Ha! I was a redhead again! The Color Oops removed all the dark and made it my real color again! THIS was after using Color Oops and not bothering to dye it again:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205450_217937091552016_100000071796284_996635_4496 594_n.jpg

This was taken perhaps 3 months after using the Color Oops, roughly a month before I joined TLHC, and by then my grays and blonde bits were coming back but I did not want to go back to the regular box dye. So, I did not know anything about using oils or CO or anything except using regular shampoo and conditioner, the occasional hairspray, and never putting it up at night, but it was still in great shape even after all that!

Long story short (I know, too late), I do recommend the Color Oops. I tried all those other things that were mentioned, spending hours reading all about others' ordeals and experiments, which led to me trying many of them. As you can see in picture #2 up there, it did take out the blue/black color and left a dark, warm mahogany, so in that respect it certainly was an improvement, but it was still there, and once the roots started coming in, there was no dealing with it any more. Trying the Color Oops was a big risk for me; I kept having visions of all my hair falling out or turning weird colors or BOTH, but it turned out to be great!

Zefyra
February 10th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I feel the need to resurrect this thread to ask a question: Will Color Oops etc remove henna? I have black dye ( a few layers of it) Under roughly week old henna, and I really wanna fade the black a bit, my roots are really red and it just looks weird next to the very dark length. I dont care if I cant get all the black out, but I wanna fade it a bit just so I dont have drastically two toned hair. Any other suggestions are appreciated too...

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I used sauve clarifying shampoo and it faded mine and so does perm chemicals. I had trace amounts of dye in my hair and when I left it was gone.

holomi
February 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
A malibu treatment in a salon might also fade color without damage.

HollywoodRouge
February 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM
May be a stupid question, because i don't know a lot about dyes, but would these tips work to remove highlights as well? I read highlights are a bit different to dyes, so would clarifying work to remove year old highlights turned yellow?

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Yes, clarifying can fade colour. It can make hair dry as well though, as I have found. You can try using baking soda masks on your hair to help get some of the dye out as well.