PDA

View Full Version : On Average..

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM
I've been reading through some of the back threads and I see some of you have been here for quite a while (congrats!) and it all made me wonder, on average, how much length do you grow a year?

I have seen stats that suggest most people grow about half an inch a month, but then, most people probably loose at least half of that to breakage and ill treatment. So what is the average growth per month for the LHC? (who of course take excellent care of their hair and could be classed as being in the optimum range :) )

Mairéad
September 21st, 2011, 01:02 PM
My hair grows, on average 3/4 inch a month, but up to an inch as well. I don't notice any breakage so I'm pretty sure I've kept all that. Otherwise, I don't know how I would have gotten from pixie to chin in 5 months.

freckles
September 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
I gain right around the supposed average, half inch a month :)

adiapalic
September 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
From my records of hair growth, I get about half an inch a month.

ssjhotau2
September 21st, 2011, 01:16 PM
Mine goes from 1/4 inch a month to 3/4 inch a month depending on the seasons and my lifestyle.

The last 6 inches or so of my hair is chemical dye damage I'm growing out so I imagine breakage/trimming splits has an impact on my overall length.

Elle
September 21st, 2011, 01:28 PM
I usually average about 1/2" per month or 6" per year, but for some reason I ended up with 8" of growth this last year. I don't know why and can think that the only difference is I'm mainly sticking to a primal/paleo type food plan and I've added a magnesium supplement. I have no idea if either of those changes contributed to the growth spurt.

jojo
September 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
When my hair was between apl and bsl I got just over 0.5" a month, these days 0.5" or sometimes less a month,

longhairedlady
September 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
I usually get about an inch a month, sometimes a little more if I am diligent with vitamins and my diet is healthy. Every once in a while I have a slow period though. I guess really mine varies now that I think about it! :)

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
so far the LHC average is sitting at about .625 of an inch a month!

islandboo
September 21st, 2011, 01:55 PM
I average just over half an inch per month.

pepperminttea
September 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
I get the average six inches a year, but it's not a consistent 1/2" a month, it's in shoots and spurts. It all evens out though. :)

Cirafly24
September 21st, 2011, 02:54 PM
I consistently get 1/2" a month.

julierockhead
September 21st, 2011, 03:00 PM
I vary from 3/4" to 1". I've never done anything purposely to make my hair grow though - I'm hoping to see some increase from castor oil scalp massage and multivitamin and MSM supplements.

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 03:02 PM
I tended to get just over a foot a year before joining LHC, so I probably would have had more now due to less breakage.

~Blaze

Chetanlaiho
September 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think I get a little less than half an inch a month, haven't cut my fringe in about four months and it's grown about 3cm.

Some people say they grow more than an inch a month though.

Lianna
September 21st, 2011, 03:06 PM
I grow 0.6 inch normally and 0.79 when on castor oil. I dusted about 2mm every month the past year (or my layers would get really uneven, and I trimmed a little bit of mullet too). No regrets, I didn't even cut a whole inch even with the frequent dustings though.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 03:10 PM
now the LHC average is about .69 inches a month!

emelnd
September 21st, 2011, 03:13 PM
How do you measure this? For example, do you measure after a trim, then again 6 months later and take an average? Or do you actually measure each month?

Carolyn
September 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
I get an average of 1/2" per month or 6" per year. After trims I net 3-4" per year most years. Some of us measure the 1st of each month and keep meticulous records, often in our blogs. I also measure before and after each trim. Some don't measure that often or at all. There is an article on how to measure hair.

AJoifulNoise
September 21st, 2011, 05:03 PM
I get about an inch a month until I get beyond waist. Then it slows down to 1/2-3/4.

My hair grows faster than the norm, though. Or so I'm told.

jaine
September 21st, 2011, 05:08 PM
I always wonder when measuring length ... especially for people who don't trim very often... are we counting racer hairs?

If I section off a pencil-sized clump of hair I see it gradually tapering off, down to 5 or 6 hairs that are 1/2" longer than the rest.

If I don't count the racer hairs, I got 4.5 inches in 8 months... so a tiny bit more than 1/2" per month.

CarpeDM
September 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM
I grow the standard 1/2 inch each month.

celebriangel
September 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
I measure by my henna-roots. My hair grows oddly, in fits and starts. I've had only about 1/3" this month, but for the past 4 I've been getting 3/4".

I'm still not sure how it'll average out in a year. 6 months of growth, though, appears to be about 4". I'll see how it continues for the winter months.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM
LHC average is still holding steady at .69 inches per month!

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2011, 06:29 PM
as far as i know, it sits at .75-1 inch per month, but there is a chance that in the winter i only grow 1/2 inch. We'll have to find out this year. Even when i was little, it seemed to be around 1 inch a month.

Kelikea
September 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Wow! You guys are lucky. I didn't get any growth between August and September this year and only 1/2in from July to August. Still waiting to see what will happen with my no trims in 2011. Hoping to get to TBL.

JellyBene
September 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
I THINK I grow about .5 inches a month

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Measured by regrowth, more than an inch per month average over the past year and a half - but zero growth this summer. :confused:

tinywife
September 21st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Mine has grown 6 inches in the past 9 months.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
You could make a poll to work out an overall LHC average. :)

MissManda
September 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
I seem to get about one inch per month, more if my hair is having a growth spurt. :)

Lianna
September 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM
I always wonder when measuring length ... especially for people who don't trim very often... are we counting racer hairs?

I just measure the LHC way, with the tape measure over my head, starting at hairline. I have an U hemline, so I measure at the bottom of that.

TheCaityCat
September 21st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Mine grows about 2/3 of an inch per month. More if I'm taking really good care of my health.

archel
September 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM
I get about 1/2 inch in the winter and I have gotten about 1 inch per month this summer while on the castor oil treatments every other day.

HintOfMint
September 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM
I gain about half an inch a month.

Also, the stats that say that's the average could be looking at growth from the roots, not overall length gained at the ends, so there's possibly no reason to think that the "half an inch a month" has been underestimated.

HintOfMint
September 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM

If I section off a pencil-sized clump of hair I see it gradually tapering off, down to 5 or 6 hairs that are 1/2" longer than the rest.

If I don't count the racer hairs, I got 4.5 inches in 8 months... so a tiny bit more than 1/2" per month.

That's not due to hairs growing at different speeds, but rather at different times. It's the reason why we shed a certain number of hairs a day instead of molting like birds.

invisiblebabe
September 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM
Mine is probably about 3/4" per month

racrane
September 21st, 2011, 10:02 PM
About an average half an inch, I think. I don't measure too much. But in pictures it's showing to be pretty accurate. :)

inertia
September 22nd, 2011, 01:35 AM
I get a bit less than half an inch per month. My hair is dyed so I judge by watching my roots rather than measuring the length. The growth is consistent as a clock. I've never had a growth spurt or stall. However, when my length had a lot of damage, that growth didn't always translate into longer hair.

akurah
September 22nd, 2011, 02:09 AM
I grow about 6" a year, or half an inch a month. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I've been here for 4 years, and have gone from just about shoulder to tailbone.

I'd also like to note I DON'T take the best care of my hair. I will sometimes leave it in the same braid for 2 days in a row, I'm not careful about detangling, and it's usually in a braid down my back instead of up and in a bun, and I have splits out the wazoo. I also tangle a lot, but frankly? I love my hair, but I don't care enough to worry that much about it. I'd also like to note my average doesn't account for loss of length due to trims, which I've had at varying times throughout my time here.

Growing long hair is a bit of a time consuming task, but it can be done, and the best way to do it? Don't cut it. Trims are okay, but leave it alone. Don't even dye if you can help it unless you know you'll keep up with it, especially if the dye is significantly darker or lighter than your natural color, because you'll be sorely tempted to cut off the dye at some point. In short, don't cut it and leave it alone. It will get there in its own sweet time. (/end tangent)

FrozenBritannia
September 22nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
The LHC average is .71 inches per month atm!

(I did think about doing a poll, but I would still have to do the maths for overall community percentage, and the poll format would just confuse my poor brain with data I didn't need!)

Masara
September 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
I get 5 to 6 inches a year. It comes to an average of .5inch a month. It's not regular growth, sometimes it's hardly any and another month it will be practically an inch. It all averages out in the end.
I measure to the ends, by looking at where they end on my body; not the longer, straggly ones. I measure where the bulk ends

Lady Neeva
September 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
I grow perhaps half an inch (or more) a month.

Quixii
September 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
I don't really measure, so I'm not really sure, but I'm pretty sure I grow less than half an inch a month. Maybe a quarter inch?

SkinnyCookie
September 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
I went from growing an inch a year to an inch every month and a half just with oil scalp treatments-immediately! It's fantastic.

Yame
September 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM
Before castor oil, I was at about half an inch per month (1 inch in 8 weeks, to be exact). Now I am doing my castor oil experiment, but haven't done it for long enough to be able to tell you what my monthly average will be.

celebriangel
September 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
Hmm. I probably ought to add that I get less length than growth; ie, my curls eat my length. IT seems to gain length in fits and starts, I think because it sortof grows to the end of a curl, you know?

SarahKayfa
September 23rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Hmm. Last year at the beginning of October I was at 17" or so, brushing the collar of my blouse. I'm at about 22 1/2". I've cut off 5", so I'm averaging at 0.8" a month.

Rhodugune
September 24th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I removed a bithmark on my scalp two years ago, and the doctor had to shave a bit of my hair in the process.
But he was very understanding and kind and did shave of as little as possible.

So a year later I measured the outgrowth and it was 13 cm long. (5.1 inches)
My hair doesn't grow that fast, but on the brighter side:
I love my natural haircolour, it's really thick and it's easy to detangle, compaired to other longhaired persons hair I have helped brush.

So I can live with it. ;)

Charybdis
September 24th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Based on how quickly my hair starts looking shaggy when I keep it short and how quickly the roots show if I dye my whole head, I'm pretty sure I grow right around an inch a month normally. I've been growing a bit slower most of the last year, probably due to stress and medication, but it's picked back up in the last few months. I think my sister's hair grows about an inch a month as well.

MaryRose
September 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM
After calculating my growth over the last 2 years (July 09-July 11), my average growth is 3/4 inch each month. For the month of September I have gained another 1/2 inch in just 2 weeks. I think this will be a big hair growth month for me.

itslillore
September 24th, 2011, 01:40 PM
My hair grows about 1.5 to 2 inches a month. But that's faster than the average growth of most people i know.

FrozenBritannia
September 24th, 2011, 07:47 PM
LHC average is .67 inches a month!

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM
I'm here to ruin the stats lol. The first year I went from 50" to about 54". Since joining LHC in June of 2006 I've gone from 50" to 61" so I'm getting only an average of 2 inches a year! I do trim a little, maybe 1/2' a couple times a year but my ends are still really thin. So I'm guessing my overall rate is probably about 1/4" a month or so. I may have to start trying monistat, rooibos or something! At least I'm happy that I haven't reached terminal, so however slow, I'm still thankful for the progress. LHC got me out of a 10 year stall at mid-thigh!

FrozenBritannia
September 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM
:) down to .66 of an inch, LHC

Panth
September 25th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I don't measure regularly at all. However, from (I think) Aug last year to Aug this year I got 10" growth. However, for all I know it could have been Sept or even Oct last year when I took that initial measurement ... or, perhaps July?

Guess I'm not much help.. :p

CurlyMopTop
September 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Since I started lurking the threads back in May, I've gotten 3/4" a month. I've trimmed quite a bit of that off (close to all of it) and don't know if my hair is going to slow down during the winter yet. :)

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Still at .66!!