PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair do this?

infinity_girl
September 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM
Sometimes when I am brushing my hair, especially the bottom ends are sort of stuck together/knotted and I don't know what is causing this. I sort of have to separate a bundle of hairs. I don't know if this is because my hair is really dry and the static is causing this or something else? I can't just run my fingers through my hair though as they will always reach a knotty/stuck bundle.

swetiepeti
September 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
do you comb it out first?

infinity_girl
September 21st, 2011, 11:07 AM
do you comb it out first?
Yes, even if it is combed I find that my hair starts to stick/tangle very soon afterwards. It doesn't feel smoothe to the touch.

Madora
September 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
It might be that there's build up on your hair that's causing the ends to cling together and causing the snarling.

I don't know what products you use for shampooing and conditioning but you might try and dilute them with water when using them next time.

I've also found that an overnight EVOO treatment makes my hair detangling even easier and brushing is a breeze with no tangling.

QMacrocarpa
September 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
You might try a tiny trim. Instant tangles are my main cue that it's time to trim my ends.

Madora
September 21st, 2011, 11:40 AM
I forgot to mention...if you have static when brushing, you can minimize it to a great extent if you follow each stroke of the brush with the palm of your other hand.

spidermom
September 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Don't brush curly hair!
Well, o.k., before a wash it's acceptable.

I'd try to clarify first because it may be build-up. Otherwise, your ends have most likely become roughened/damaged. When I can feel a difference in the texture near the ends, and if clarifying followed by a moisture treatment doesn't correct it, I know it's time for a trim. I hate having to fight with my hair, so in spite of loss of length, I'd rather cut the rough, Velcro-like stuff away.

Cassie 123
September 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Ditto what everybody else said. "Velcro ends" are common in long hair. Clarify first (and condition well afterwards), and if they are still doing it, trim off half an inch.

buttercupmcgee
September 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
I agree with this advice, clarifying, SMT-ing, and/or trimming can work wonders.

However, I will say that my hair has a wave pattern that just loves to tangle. It's 2 parts wavy and one part stick straight, and the wavy bits get wrapped around the straight bits almost immediately after brushing. Unless I've just used a heaping amount of cones, I can rarely glide my hands straight through. Even if it's been freshly trimmed.

One thing I will ask though is have you dyed it? Often the dyed parts tangle more easily.

mariazelie
September 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
My hair tangles through the length from rubbing on the fabric of my clothes if it is a wool sweater or perhaps a certain type of collar, or a scarf.

celebriangel
September 21st, 2011, 05:36 PM
With 2c/3a hair, I can only fingercomb if I've damp bunned it which relaxes it into loose waves. When it's curly, not a hope. I think the curl pattern just causes it to tangle.

Do try clarifying then putting on an SMT, though. Velcro ends can be buildup (or protein overload).

Anje
September 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Buildup or possibly protein overload are the first things I'd check, too.

Pierre
September 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Don't brush curly hair!
I second that! I comb it in the shower, and if a tangle is within 10-20 mm of the ends of all hairs in it, I just cut it off.