PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair won't curl with heat ?

suicides_eve
July 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
well i have possibly 2c/3a hair type. I went to curl my hair the other day ( i am not completely against heat styling i still straighten my hair once in a while:pins:) Any way my hair would just not hold a curl!:confused:
I used a 2 " barrel curler and let it heat up a good 10 mins on low and nothing so i raised the heat to high and still nothing!!
A softer larger curl was the idea i was playing around with but nothing happened?
Any other curly girls have this ever happen to you? My hair remained the same except only slightly 'fuller'. Is is possible i have to much moisture in my hair ?? Lol when my hair was colored and ragged :p it held the best curls ever:whistle: Never experienced anything like this before any thoughts?

Trying to get Fuller look like below:
i will let Debra Messing model this for me:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4146/debramessingl82624fo6.jpg (http://imageshack.us) yes my hair is not as long but i love the loose look as compared to my everyday curl

Riot Crrl
July 1st, 2008, 04:32 PM
As you suspected too, I often wonder if this is a good thing. Strong bonds!

It might be kind of like hair not taking dye, where it can happen either if hair is too healthy or too damaged, and can work best if it is somewhere in between.

My hair hates being forcibly maneuvered into shapes, but if I encourage it to do what it already wanted to like curl, it can be very flexible. With 2c/3a, you can quite possibly get what you are after with some simpler curly techniques, like adding a little hold product and scrunching.

darkwaves
July 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Are you sure you're 2c/3a? Just wondering, based on your signature photo. Anyway, if you are, you can likely get spirals by twisting tendrils -- skip curls, I think they're called. Work with your hair's natural inclination, and avoid the heat.

And I've had all kinds of weird things happen when I try to work against what my hair wants to do. For example, braiding straightens it, as does putting it up, so I was perplexed when I read here about braid and bun waves.

suicides_eve
July 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
in the siggi my hair is 'straighten' to show length:D

i my albums i have my hair in it's natural state of mayhem

Ohio Sky
July 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Im only a wavy, not a curly, but I know that my hair fight me tooth and nail (haha) when I try to get it to go against what it wants to be doing, and I would think that it would 100 times more so with real curls.

rchorr
July 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, me too. I gave up trying to wrestle with my hair YEARS ago. I just let it curl the way IT wants to ... it's going to do that anyway. ;^)

RCHORR'

Sam-I-Am
July 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Actually, I found the exact opposite. My ends were curled with a curling iron for my SIL's wedding (most of my hair was up) and they held the curl amazingly well. However, one difference that I can see is that the barrel of the curling iron used on my hair made curls about the same size as my regular curls. So perhaps that is why your hair won't hold a big curl - because it likes to curl smaller?

Future CCC-SLP
July 1st, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have this problem because my hair is like in the middle. Curls in the back and straightish in the front. What helps me is curling my hair on dirty hair days (aka day 2 or older) and then after you release the curling iron wrap the curl around your finger and bobby pin it to your head. I generally wrap it in a twisting motion so its not flat hair but twisted. Am I making sense? I hope so. Anyway the idea is to pin up the curls directly from the curling iron and let it cool that way. Once you take it down you will have nice full curls! (Depending on the curling iron size) I use 1.5 inch and I have BSL length hair, because your hair is shorter maybe try using a smaller iron like a 1inch? That may be part of the problem as well.

If I knew how to post pictures in a thread I'd show you how my hair turns out, but its similar to the one you posted of Debra.

Good luck!

suicides_eve
July 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
so kinda like a pin curl after taking off the barrel? i think i am thinking what you mean:hmm:

Curlsgirl
July 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
ME! (raises hand)

Mine has always been this way. When I used to use irons I would curl it and even holding it a long time (shudder) it wouldn't curl. And if I did get it to, it would fall out. I always thought that was weird too. But I think it is because my own natural curl was working against it. Anyway, like the others, best to let it curl where it WANTS to! :D

missy60
July 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
I have to go way lighter on the conditioner if Im planning on doing anything with my hair because it look greasy and wont do anything. Im also thinking the 2" barrel maybe part of the problem. I can straighten my hair with that size barrel with just a slight curl on the main end basically I get the style you have in your pic with a 2".

suicides_eve
July 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
i was thinking maybe it was cones- before i used them like crazy ,but since stopping my hair is softer and in general better

just glad i see i'm not the only one who this has happen too