PDA

View Full Version : Oily Hair

lacefrost
September 20th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I did a search but couldn't really find anything to answer my question.

What gives you really oily hair? I'm talking about outside of oiling it. What things make the sebum erupt from your pores? Is it putting conditioner on your scalp? Hot weather? Washing too often? A certain ingredient? Scalp massage?

Please weigh in, ladies and gents.

KwaveT
September 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I will leave the ingredients part to the experts on this board.;) I know conditioner was never the blame for my oily hair since I never used conditioner before coming here. I think the detergents in some shampoos dry the scalp up and your body retaliated by producing more oil. I think that is what my problem is. It doesn't fix itself overnight. Whatever is causing your problem, it could takes weeks to retrain your oil glands. Some trial and error and patience is most definitely required. Scalp massages are good for the scalp since it stimulates blood flow. Nothing bad about those.

allnight avenue
September 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it's touching the hair around my scalp with my hands that does it. I always used to leave my hair down for the few two days after a wash because of this, but now that I have to wear my hair up and away for work I'm not sure what to do... how does one french braid without fingers?? :P

lacefrost
September 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I will leave the ingredients part to the experts on this board.;) I know conditioner was never the blame for my oily hair since I never used conditioner before coming here. I think the detergents in some shampoos dry the scalp up and your body retaliated by producing more oil. I think that is what my problem is. It doesn't fix itself overnight. Whatever is causing your problem, it could takes weeks to retrain your oil glands. Some trial and error and patience is most definitely required. Scalp massages are good for the scalp since it stimulates blood flow. Nothing bad about those.

My problem is dry hair. I figure if the oily people tell me what makes their scalps produce more oil, I may be able to try that so I don't have to oil my hair as heavily.

darklyndsea
September 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty sure it's touching the hair around my scalp with my hands that does it. I always used to leave my hair down for the few two days after a wash because of this, but now that I have to wear my hair up and away for work I'm not sure what to do... how does one french braid without fingers?? :P
Gloves? Either the latex/latex-substitute ones, or glove liners would be thin enough to let you do your hair, and there shouldn't be issues with oil because either you throw them away or wash them after using them. I haven't tried it, though, so :shrug:

Miss Maisie
September 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Apparently my biggest culprit is shampoo. CO washing made my hair way less oily. Of course, I've been using shampoo more lately (every other wash or so), and I'm starting to get oily again. I guess it'll be shampoo every third wash from mow on.

battles
September 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM
My hair is normally oily, but if I dare let conditioner sit on it.. :run:

It doesn't matter how long I spend washing it out, my entire head turns into an absolute mess. Ever since I tried CO, I can't use conditioner unless it's super diluted and basically a rinse.

KwaveT
September 20th, 2011, 10:35 PM

I wonder if that may at least contribute to some of my oily hair problem. I can't keep my hands off my head. I am constantly touching my hair. It is out of pure habit.

katsrevenge
September 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I think a lot of it is purely up to genetic background/what ya got from your parents. We can work with what we were given a bit... but that is really it.

What makes mine oily is a good long scalp rub or a hard workout. The BF, (who is almost your hair twin, he's probably a ii though) never gets oily hair... his is always dry but soft.

Roscata
September 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM
I used to get oily scalp 6 hours after washing it, this was when I used SLS shampoo and washed every day. Now I CO every 4 days and my hair starts looking slightly oily on day 3 (but I could still wear it down and it wouldn't look bad). I guess I have a sensitive scalp that produces more sebum when washed too often/with SLS shampoo. :D

ETA:

My problem is dry hair. I figure if the oily people tell me what makes their scalps produce more oil, I may be able to try that so I don't have to oil my hair as heavily.

Scalp massages.

HintOfMint
September 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM

I think scalp massages tend to bring out the oil for me, but it could be a coincidence.

Ermine
September 21st, 2011, 09:36 PM
For me I think it's part messing with/touching my hair. The other part is I have oily skin which includes my scalp. Hormonal changes seem to affect my level of oiliness on my face and scalp.

McFearless
September 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
If you have naturally dry hair I don't think there is anything you can do to make your scalp produce more oil that will moisturize it to the ends. Shampoos with SLS will grease your roots though.

The_Redhead
September 21st, 2011, 09:48 PM
For me it's SLS shampoos or conditioners either will send me into screaming overdrive production complete with tear my skin off itchies. It's awful.

My scalp is so much happier with shampoo bars and ACV.

Shannon

Vanilla
September 22nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
For me it's SLS shampoos or conditioners either will send me into screaming overdrive production complete with tear my skin off itchies. It's awful.

My scalp is so much happier with shampoo bars and ACV.

Shannon

I totally agree. The SLS shampoos make my hair squeaky clean the day of the wash, but the day afterwards I am super greasy. Which shampoo bars do you use? I tried Lush's trichomania and it left my hair sticky.

QueenJoey
September 22nd, 2011, 10:26 AM
I blame hormones! My hair was never this yucky until I hit puberty.

Oh and touching my scalp alot may be a big culprit, too.

Yozhik
September 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
What about eating foods heavy in good oils? I know that's good for hair health and softness (think of feeding cats a lot of fishy foods to promote soft fur), so maybe this will help add some moisture to your scalp?

pepperminttea
September 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Any form of manipulation; messing with my hair at all, touching/itching my scalp, massages - the lot.

Anje
September 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Shampooing, especially regularly, gives me oily hair, at least at the scalp. (It would take AGES to get oily ends, and I'm not sure I'd be able to manage without supplementing it with oil from another source.) I can get down to washing 1-2 times/week if I CO, but I need to wash at least every other day if I wash each time with shampoo.

Strangely, winter gives me oily hair, too. There seems to be a seasonal fluctuation. It might be related to the dry air, I guess.

Basically, anything that makes my scalp get all dried out makes it overcompensate by dumping out tons of oil.

lacefrost
September 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I tried a couple of things and found that the scalp massaging/touching, helped stimulate more sebum production. Once my scalp got sorta oily, I wet a section with warm water and sort of smoothed the oil to my ends. I've had super soft hair ever since.