PDA

View Full Version : Macadamia Natural Oil healing oil spray??? green and brown bottles at Target???

Blackfire
September 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
So I splurged and bought a 30 dollar bottle of oil spray..... BUT WOW, it smells great, and its all natural, and Im sitting here with my hair braided and pinned up for bed and its just drinking that stuff right up! No residue like Garnier Triple Nutrition Spray! SO has anyone else tried this? What did you think of it?

I know its kinda lame to spend that much on a bottle of oil, but I really have wanted to try this stuff for a long time.... and it was worth it to me! :disco:

julierockhead
September 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
What are the ingredients? I googled but can't find ingredients for this. Also while googling I found a 4.2 oz bottle for 16.59 at thebeautyplace.com, I hope that is not bad news!

ssjhotau2
September 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
I have Macadamia Nut oil for hot oil hair treatment. I add it to my SMT and it seems to really make my hair soft and shiny. My hair seems to really like the oils that not many people talk about on here :shrug: Like Vitamin E oil and Macadamia Nut oil.

$30 seems a little steep to me, but if it was worth it to you than congrats. If I don't like the price in stores I usually look it up online and can find it for cheaper (even with shipping) or at least find it at another store for less.

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM
Well, that's a little pricey, but if it works well for you I guess it could be worth it.

BTW, I really hate seeing 'lame' used as a general negative. People like me, who walk with an altered gait or limp are lame in the literal sense, and I don't like seeing something that is an unavoidable part of who I am used as a negative. Kind of like people using 'gay' to mean 'bad'.

~Blaze

ssjhotau2
September 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Well, that's a little pricey, but if it works well for you I guess it could be worth it.

BTW, I really hate seeing 'lame' used as a general negative. People like me, who walk with an altered gait or limp are lame in the literal sense, and I don't like seeing something that is an unavoidable part of who I am used as a negative. Kind of like people using 'gay' to mean 'bad'.

~Blaze

Totally OT:
I always try to think of things like this when I am talking. Now that I work with people I've managed to alter the way I say things... some of it is hard though. As I work with employees that are homosexual and mentally handicapped words like "retarded" and "gay" have been completely weeded from my vocabulary and I now cringe when I hear them used in conversation. "Lame" is becoming one of those words I notice- but honestly hasn't been weeded out yet.

I'd like to rant about how much I think people shouldn't be so reactionary to words themselves- and should react more to the context it was used in...
But honestly I'm an un-remarkably average person and there is no way, at this point in my life, that I can understand the pain that just hearing a certain word can cause - so I do my best to change my language. Really there are much better words to describe things anyways and with no painful or derogatory meanings.

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 12:25 PM
I very much appreciate that attitude. Being both a member of the disability community and the LGBT community, I dislike being kicked by people's linguistic laziness.

Context is largely what I'm reacting to - by saying lame = bad or gay=bad, people are saying that something that is an intrinsic part of other people is bad. That's a problem.

~Blaze

Blackfire
September 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Fist off sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention.

But since you guys told me a little about youselvs why dont we learn a little about me?

My mom died in july, of a bone cancer that broke 78 of her bones. She couldnt walk, she could barely move in her own bed for the four years she spent dying. Guess who dropped out of college to help her go to the bathroom, changed her pants/bedclothes, and pretty much did EVERYTHING for her? Yeah. Me! Did we laugh at cancer/cripple/wheelchair jokes? Heck yeah we did! My mom had a great sense of humor even on her deathbed, being offended by everything that could have been offensive would have made her miserable. One of my best friends that has a spinal bifidea and walks with much worse then a limp, more like a stagger, and is a awesome guy to boot, is the same way. He has a postive attitude about everything, never has been offended or hurt by the mistuse of a word. Yet I see people with NO problems get angry and offended over the same things he laughs at.

For the record, I AM BISEXUAL, and actually a part of the LGBT community where I live. Ive noticed that REAL gay people dont get upset about things like that. My friend who is litteraly between genders, has used gay as a slang term all the time. I always hear that its bad to use it like that, but to me thats a different meaning... I dont beleive that it is saying gay people are bad, I have never taken offense to it because I see it as lingual evolution.

Sometimes words are used as culteral references for something different then their intended meaning. Im not making fun of people who actually have problems but if anyone was offended I do apologize. Just not before you know a little about me.

ALso, I though we were here to talk about HAIR.... not make someone feel like crap for using a popular idiosm with no ill intent whatsoever????

julierockhead
September 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
My best friend is in a wheelchair because of CP. Her nickname is spaz...even her email has spaz in it! She doesn't have any problems with words in general. Except the word "cripple".

Everyone has their little problems and idiosyncracies. Let's focus on the big ones, shall we? Like hair.

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your mother. That sounds really, really rough - both for you and for her.

For me at least, there's a difference between us crips joking about ourselves (and like anyone else, we do find things that are particular to our lives to laugh about) and people who aren't part of that in-group joking and using derogatories about us. It's kind of like the way people who are of African descent can call each other '*****' but when someone who is white does it, it's problematic.

I worked in the legal department of one of the bigger LGBT health and wellness centers in my city (The Mazzoni Center) and the consensus there was that we didn't like 'gay' used as a derogatory. Acceptance of that one tends to be higher among the young (under 25s) and is definitely not universal.

I didn't intend to make you feel like crap, and I'm sorry if I did. I intended to point out that you said something I find hurtful.

At any rate - as I said earlier, as far as that spray goes...if you can afford it and it works that much better for you than anything else you've tried, why not?

~Blaze

Edited to add - apparently the wordfilter here won't let me say the variation of the n-word that some african-americans use to describe themselves.

Safira
September 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM
I don´t speak English for my 1.st language so I didnt understand what lame meant. I translated it "weak", or "mild". I had to look at dictionary to understand what you are talking about.

Well, I have trauma, called whip-lash. I´m cribbled person to rest of my life and I do admit that, but if someone knowlingly, disrespectfully call me cripple, I would be very mad. But people do not know, and sometimes we do make metaphors to spice up our talk.

But, back to the point, I´m curious what is ingrendiets of that Macadamia Natural Oil? I´ve never heard of it. But if it makes your hair look and feel as silk, keep it on your routine!

Blackfire
September 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM
Like I said sorry if I offended anyone! And I have many friends from many different walks of life, black, white, gay, disabled, mentally disabled too. I just talk how I talk and if someone has a problem with it then im really sorry and I wont do it again, but there are so many words out there now a days thats its hard to know which ones will offend..... Im younger.... 22, and when I told my sis about this thread, who is 18 she seriously didnt get it! She just thought that "lame" was another term for "uncool" and had NO IDEA that anyone COULD be offended by it! It got us talking at church earlier about how language changes over time, (youth pastor speaks 7 languages and has fibro, walks with a cane, I got him one with a sword in it :D). extrememly enteresting debate! Anyway, Im not the type who likes to make people feel uncomfortable in any way so sorry to anyone who was offended again!

Idk if it counts for anything, but I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 12 and I lost almost all my hair... one of the reasons Im growing back from such a short do. Im not entirely able bodied myself although I consider it in remission for now. Most of my childhood was smashed by the joint pain and not being able to go in the sun, also having to wear a scarf on my head to hide my balding. Not saying I know anyones pain, but I have suffered from medical issues in my time here and just pray they dont exsist in the next life.

ANYWAY back to hair! This stuff is AMAZING! I wish there was a cheaper version...... and I wonder has anyone tried the shampoo or conditioner from the same brand???

Also, heres the ingredients..... dont know how to tell of its good or bad so you guys will need to give me your opinions.... l

cyclopentosiloxane, isopropyl myristate, tocopheryl acelate, argania spinosa oil, macadamia ternilalia seed oil, benzylsalicylate, butylphynel methyprpionol, linalool, hexyicinnamaldehyd.

Sounds like a bunch of scary chemicals now that I look at the ingredients......

archel
September 21st, 2011, 10:04 PM
The first ingredient is a cone but your hair may love cones! I hope you love it lots :)

julierockhead
September 21st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Well, the first ingredient is a 'cone, which is not inherently bad but cones do tend to build up, so you may have to clarify more often.
This is a good site for quickly looking up ingredients:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Blackfire
September 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM
Oh my hair LOVES cones, so that may be why it likes this spray so much! They can be a pain to wash out though..... *sigh. I wont be using this oil as much as I planned lol

julierockhead
September 22nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
Why not use cones if they make your hair look great? You're going to have to clarify eventually anyway no matter what you put on your hair. I avoid cones in shampoo and conditioner but occasionally use a coney leave in if I want a little extra shine, cones aren't evil.;)

Blackfire
September 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
true, but I was using HUGE amounts of frizz serum while my mom was on hospice... and it killed my hair! it got very very very very VERY dry when I stopped using it! It took 3 avacodos and an entire bottle of conditioner to fix it!

lynnala
September 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Is this the same stuff? http://www.macadamiahair.com/products/view/care

BlazingHeart
September 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Well, I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much for a cone-heavy spray. You can get cone-heavy stuff a lot cheaper than that, IME.

We're cool. I get that some people don't realize it's hurtful until someone points that out to them - it's how people react once they know that matters to me. And oof, I can only imagine having Lupus that young. One of the things I have is genetic, but at that age it just showed up as me being a bit easy to injure.

~Blaze

lynnala
September 22nd, 2011, 07:03 PM
This thread inspired me to try macadamia oil on my hair, but I didn't want the cones, so I just bought a 2oz. bottle of the pure oil on eBay. Looking forward to trying it!

Anje
September 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hmmm... Yes, the first ingredient is a silicone, but more specifically it's a volatile silicone. It won't stay on hair; it'll evaporate. Which might give the impression that your hair is soaking it up, I suppose....

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Oooh! I'm cone-free but macadamia oil sounds yummy! Lynnala please report how yours works out! Does it smell as yummy as it sounds? I'd be tempted to pair it with a perfume that smells like white chocolate.

The talk about word usage is interesting. I wonder if it might be more appropriate for the Friendship board?

And also off topic: Blackfire you are AWESOME for getting your pastor a sword-cane! Where did you find it? My husband and I both sometimes use a cane and he's been talking about sword canes ever since he got his first cane.

lynnala
September 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'll be sure to report after I receive the oil!

islandboo
September 22nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hmmm... Yes, the first ingredient is a silicone, but more specifically it's a volatile silicone. It won't stay on hair; it'll evaporate. Which might give the impression that your hair is soaking it up, I suppose....

Anje, since it is volatile, does that mean it is less likely to cause build-up ( or cause it more slowly)?

heynormy
September 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Oh my! I've been looking into this product for awhile now and you've found it at Target (a.k.a one of my favorite places)!!
Personally my hair likes cones, so I may have to head into my local Target to find this stuff!! :D

Hypnotica
September 23rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Anje, since it is volatile, does that mean it is less likely to cause build-up ( or cause it more slowly)?

In short, yes.

Lisabunny
September 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I had my splurge last week and got the healing oil treatment, I like it! I only very little due to the price. It helps with braiding and smells good :) And while I was splurging I got a bottle of Lady Gaga's Fame...love it!!!