PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over... Advice on Growing out a Choppy Inverted Bob? with pics

Sarah4983
September 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I had posted a couple months ago about having to cut my hair to my shoulders due to major hair loss that was part of my recently diagnosed PCOS.... I just recently I decided to have it cut even shorter... into a choppy inverted bob.

I decided to cut it because it had begun growing back in thicker due to the medication I was prescribed a couple months ago. So it's thick near the scalp, and about two inches out from my scalp the hair was super thin. It looked silly, so "bye bye" it went.

Now that it is short, I get a ton of compliments... everyone from family members to clients I see at work keep telling me to keep it short... but I MISS MY LONG HAIR!!

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/PCOS/hair12.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/PCOS/hair22.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/PCOS/hair32.jpg

I stopped using my straightening iron (the ceramic plate actually just kind of...*popped* off this morning, so it's dead) and I started using coconut oil again...

Any tips on growing this choppy mess out gracefully? I'm sure it will take lots of time.... it's actually growing quite fast; this is a picture of when I first got it cut one month ago:

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/sarah4983/PCOS/kiss.jpg

So as you can see, it's grown a little since then but not fast enough.... especially the very short layers toward the top of my head.

Help!!:confused:

Columbia River
September 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I think you would look amazing with some elegant and pretty hairbands. Keep it healthy, keep it out off your face and out of sight...and let it grow.

I think it looks amazing and very fashionable, however I understand...I'm growing too.

UltraBella
September 20th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I think this is going to be easier to grow out than you think ! It looks really cute in the mean time.

utdesertrunner
September 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM
You look adorable!

I got that same cut about a year ago and I LOVED it...however I missed my long hair too so here I am. Just wanted to let you know that it's not too awful to grow out. At about 7 months post-cut I had a cut to even it out as the front was way longer. Now, almost a year later I am just about 2 inches past shoulder and it's long enough to put into a bun and braid the bangs back. So, take heart! And enjoy your cute cut along the way.

racrane
September 20th, 2011, 10:56 PM
It does look adorable. You can pull off a bob better than I can. So enjoy the shortness while it's there and play with mini braids and such. I think it should be easy to grow it out.

AnqeIicDemise
September 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I've outgrown this style a few times. Its actually a lot easier than you think. Just keep playing wit h the front, as that's the most obnoxious part. Soon enough you'll be able to do cute little piggies with just a tiny little fringe in the back that can slowly be gathered into the ponies as time goes by.

I actually had a harder time growing out a regular bob.

pink.sara
September 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Ah! When you said inverted bob on the title I was picturing shaved nape of neck length and below chin front points!
This will actually be pretty easy to grow out I think, it looks like because your back hem is straight it will grow down evenly to shoulder.
Enjoy it being so short while it lasts :) it's very cute on you.

Aimskylove
September 20th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Love the cut! I did a short bob once and loved it! Its fun and different. I say everyone must try it once! :)

Sarah4983
September 21st, 2011, 06:48 AM
aww you ladies are just awesome!!

I feel so much better now after reading your replies :)

The response to keep it short has been overwhelming, but I must not give in!!! :-p

I guess another question is about the texture; since cutting it I've realized that i have CURLY hair!! Now that my straightening iron is broken, I am going to have to leave it curly and I'm not quite sure how to keep it from looking frizzy.... Any suggestions?

Aveyronnaise
September 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM
I think this is going to be easier to grow out than you think ! It looks really cute in the mean time.
I'm going to agree, I grew this out from '09 it didn't really look bad to me the whole time.Weirdly it actually un-inverted on it's own a little before APL .

templeofvenus
September 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM
I had the same style once - to grow out just get hemline trimmed until all the layers grow down and then grow from blunt hemline or if you like layers just grow it all down! hairbands are good to keep hair back off the facew and there are some really pretty dressy ones out there! and as soon as you can do updo's quit blowdrying and wear it up regularly to prevent damage! I was attached to dryer and hair straighteners till I got to be able to tie it up and now I hardly use them at all! mind you I am at an awkward stage just now but thats another story lol

spidermom
September 21st, 2011, 09:05 AM
It looks like you can just grow it until the hem gets too uneven to work with, then get a little trim around the edges to even things up again. Unless of course being uneven doesn't bother you - then just grow-grow-grow.

I was/am an unabashed user of product to keep waves/curls from separating into messy fluff. I used to finger-rake a little aloe vera gel mixed with 1 or 2 drops of oil or styling gel/creme when my hair was a lot shorter. The length has pulled down most of my problems. Now I just use something to smooth down the shorter, newer growth when I have the need to look neat, either aloe vera gel, styling gel, or some sort of styling putty/pomade/wax. I especially dislike having my hair bunned, with a grizzled-looking halo of fluff. Bleh!

Aimskylove
September 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
My hair is the same. Straighter when longer (because of the weight) but curly when short! Back then I was bad, I straightened it a lot! Lol but to keep it tamed when curly I would use conditioner. Luckily my hair loves cones and never looked greasy. :)