PDA

View Full Version : Help Caring for Baby/Toddler Hair?

wooliswonderful
September 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Our 20 month old now has between shoulder & APL 3b F hair. Until now I've been kind of winging it on how to care for it.
I've been using Johnson's no more tangles shampoo, but am wondering if there is a tear-free alternative with no sulfates or cones.
I've also styled it until now by using various clips & barrettes. I want to switch to braids and soft updos but don't want to diminish the curl or have something she can easily remove if it's a hair toy.
I gave up last Sunday and she wore her hair down at church. She looked fine, but I like to keep her hair out of her face and pretty if she's out & about. :)

Her curls are a bit brushed out here:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/wool_is_wonderful/may2011016-1.jpg

julierockhead
September 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I say, skip the shampoo altogether. There is an Aveeno product that Walgreens carries (and a Walgreens knockoff) that comes in a packet, it is just very finely ground oat powder. It is a very gentle cleanser. Add it to the bath and let her do a mermaid rinse. I used this exclusively on my girl until she was six or so, and wanted to shower. Her hair and skin were perfectly cleaned this way.

andrea1982
September 20th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I second the no shampoo suggestion. I just use water on my two boys, and a comb/baby brush to exfoliate their scalps. (my kids are 8 months and 4 yrs). I will use baby shampoo on them about once a month maybe, although they have a bath every night. Young kids just don't product the oil that adults do.

FrozenBritannia
September 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM
johnsons has a sulfate free shampoo called johnsons naturals..

wooliswonderful
September 21st, 2011, 05:43 AM
I say, skip the shampoo altogether. There is an Aveeno product that Walgreens carries (and a Walgreens knockoff) that comes in a packet, it is just very finely ground oat powder. It is a very gentle cleanser. Add it to the bath and let her do a mermaid rinse. I used this exclusively on my girl until she was six or so, and wanted to shower. Her hair and skin were perfectly cleaned this way.

When you say mermaid rinse do you mean lying on her back to rinse her hair? I've tried and it freaks her out. :) One reason I've felt like I need shampoo is she gets all kinds of kooky stuff in her hair. The Aveeno stuff sounds good though.

I second the no shampoo suggestion. I just use water on my two boys, and a comb/baby brush to exfoliate their scalps. (my kids are 8 months and 4 yrs). I will use baby shampoo on them about once a month maybe, although they have a bath every night. Young kids just don't product the oil that adults do.

I feel like I need some kind of conditioning shampoo as her hair has been long and curly from birth. I have to detangle it with a wide tooth comb in the bath. Her hair doesn't get oily, just seems to become unruly and the curls not as bouncy.

johnsons has a sulfate free shampoo called johnsons naturals..

I'll check that out. I guess I assumed the mainstream baby products were pretty similar in content, even if they claimed to be "Natural". :) I'll see if it's on the Johnson's website.

swetiepeti
September 21st, 2011, 06:02 AM
How about just CO Washing it. You could see how her hair does with using something like Sauve Cocoanut Conditioner for washing it. Since she's little and doesn't produce the oil like bigger children do you could probably use it just like shampoo for her and it won't get dry but will get clean.

wooliswonderful
September 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
How about just CO Washing it. You could see how her hair does with using something like Sauve Cocoanut Conditioner for washing it. Since she's little and doesn't produce the oil like bigger children do you could probably use it just like shampoo for her and it won't get dry but will get clean.
I have lately been using Suave Coconut on her very ends but was hesitant to use it on all her hair in case I got some in her eyes when rinsing. She's good about it but sometimes will turn her head at the wrong moment and get water in her eyes even if I use a washcloth or one of those squishy-side cups .

clarinette
September 21st, 2011, 07:09 AM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/ediekidd/IMG_1687-1.jpg
That's what i do to my daughter, same age, same hair type as yours: I dutch braid each side, tuck the ends under the other side (left braid under french part of right braid etc), and kirby pin it all. then add a flower like there or nothing....
as for hair care i really do the minimum, shampoo when lollipop got stuck in hair or hair was dipped in morning milk (so, almost daily lol) and put jojoba oil after each wash, lightly....that's all. I use garnier ultra doux on her heair (i'm french, dunno if you guys have that), the one with avocado oil in it.
edit omg: sorry about the size :S
and edit 2: i do put cone free conditionner on her. i don't see why we shouldn't...it really helps.

wooliswonderful
September 21st, 2011, 07:20 AM
That's what i do to my daughter, same age, same hair type as yours: I french braid each side, tuck the ends under the other side (left braid under french part of right braid etc), and kirby pin it all. then add a flower like there or nothing....
as for hair care i really do the minimum, shampoo when lollipop got stuck in hair or hair was dipped in morning milk (so, almost daily lol) and put jojoba oil after each wash, lightly....that's all. I use garnier ultra doux on her heair (i'm french, dunno if you guys have that), the one with avocado oil in it.
edit omg: sorry about the size :S
and edit 2: i do put cone free conditionner on her. i don't see why we shouldn't...it really helps.

I had to google "kirby pin". :o I hadn't thought of using bobby pins, thank you. I only have them in a blonde tone to match one of her sisters, I'll have to look for some auburn-ish ones. I like the idea of the two braids and then a flower in the center. I have several pretty flower clips. I really want to stop using the metal barrettes I seem to be stuck in a rut with. I don't want to damage her hair any more than she does herself. :)
I've been using coconut oil on her big sisters with thicker hair; jojoba's lighter, right?

clarinette
September 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM
It is, i have fine hair and coconut never did it for me, but jojoba is perfect. Olive oil as deep overnight treatments too (i to it to her also but rarely, she really has no damage or dryness to speak of....)
edit: and all the hair decoration i use on her is decorated bobby pins, i can just stick it in there, she doesn't feel a thing. Crystal balls, flowers, etc....if you want her to leave it in there though, try to interrest her in them, my daughter is super girly and ASKS for "flower" but i know some kids just hate the feeling of them... in that case be stealthy, know what i mean? :D

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
I'll check that out. I guess I assumed the mainstream baby products were pretty similar in content, even if they claimed to be "Natural". :) I'll see if it's on the Johnson's website.

That's what I thought too, but when I read the ingredients I was pleasantly surprised and bought some because its a lot cheaper than what I am using currently!

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 08:46 AM
: I dutch braid each side, tuck the ends under the other side (left braid under french part of right braid etc), and kirby pin it all. then add a flower like there or nothing....

That is how I am wearing mine today!!! :D

spidermom
September 21st, 2011, 09:08 AM
I didn't buy special products for babies except for the spray-on detangler. Otherwise I just used a tiny squirt of whatever shampoo/conditioner I had on hand and made sure I didn't let any run into the eyes. The no-more-tears formulas are too alkaline to make hair and scalp happy, so I didn't use them.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM
The no-more-tears formulas are too alkaline to make hair and scalp happy, so I didn't use them.

Could you clarify that please? I thought they were all supposed to be Ph-neutral?

swetiepeti
September 21st, 2011, 09:34 AM
many peoples hair and skin like a soft acid such as ACV Apple Cider Vinegar or Beer.

spidermom
September 21st, 2011, 09:47 AM
Last I looked into it, no-more-tears formulas were to the alkaline side. There may well have been re-formulations since then. My "baby" is 26.

Skin has a slightly acid mantle; it's protective. Disrupt it and you risk infection, fungus - all kinds of unpleasantries.

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
but a vinegar rinse would return it to slightly acid, right?:confused:

spidermom
September 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
Yes. I just prefer not to disrupt it in the first place, especially since vinegar smells kind of yucky and causes my hair to be wildly fly-away.

roundforest
September 21st, 2011, 10:34 AM
I have a 23-month old, but she just isn't cooperative enough for me to be able to plait her hair, so I admire those who can wrangle their toddlers so well!
Even though my daughter's hair has never been cut, it looks as though she is growing out a fringe, as the hair at the front hairline is much shorter than the back.

wooliswonderful
September 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
It is, i have fine hair and coconut never did it for me, but jojoba is perfect. Olive oil as deep overnight treatments too (i to it to her also but rarely, she really has no damage or dryness to speak of....)
edit: and all the hair decoration i use on her is decorated bobby pins, i can just stick it in there, she doesn't feel a thing. Crystal balls, flowers, etc....if you want her to leave it in there though, try to interrest her in them, my daughter is super girly and ASKS for "flower" but i know some kids just hate the feeling of them... in that case be stealthy, know what i mean? :D

I need to get/make some decorated bobby pins. She loves girly things, but is rambunctious and messes with her hair. That's why until now I usually would tightly pony a section or two of her hair back and then put in a french barrette right at the front of the pony. She had to work really hard to get those out, and usually wouldn't.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc108/wool_is_wonderful/Pictures426-1-1.jpg

Last I looked into it, no-more-tears formulas were to the alkaline side. There may well have been re-formulations since then. My "baby" is 26.

Skin has a slightly acid mantle; it's protective. Disrupt it and you risk infection, fungus - all kinds of unpleasantries.

At first I thought you meant you had your child's ph tested and they were a "26" on a particular scale. Heehee. ;)
So then using an alkaline product repeatedly negatively effects skin & hair? This is all new to me, sorry if I'm a bit clueless. :)

I have a 23-month old, but she just isn't cooperative enough for me to be able to plait her hair, so I admire those who can wrangle their toddlers so well!
Even though my daughter's hair has never been cut, it looks as though she is growing out a fringe, as the hair at the front hairline is much shorter than the back.

I have to distract her with a movie to do anything at all to her hair once she's out of the bath. Shaun the Sheep is currently working. :)
I've never cut my baby's hair either, and she's growing a v-hemline as she had longer hair on top of her head when born, kind of like a faux-hawk.

ssjhotau2
September 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
I just use WO with my son.
Seems to work just fine- if his hair is dirty I comb it out int the shower. I was using baby shampoo and it just smells so good- but it makes his scalp flake really bad.

wooliswonderful
September 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM
I just use WO with my son.
Seems to work just fine- if his hair is dirty I comb it out int the shower. I was using baby shampoo and it just smells so good- but it makes his scalp flake really bad.
My 4yo boy is growing out his hair and I can usually get away with just water for him, and a little bit of condish on the ends. If he's gotten especially yucky I've been using a bit of the baby's shampoo.

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
My toddler's hair care routine- wash when dirty or sweaty. We use baby aquaphor baby wash or disney baby naturals fragrance free line. Both are tear free and sulphate free.

Now he is a short haired boy, so my advice for your daughter is to use a detangling leave in condish, like the jhonsons kind that comes in a tube. Or maybe what I am using, which is silken child moisterizing cream. Sally's sells it for 3 dollars a bottle, and I find it works best on dry hair.

Or an adult conditioner with cones, in the scent of her choice.

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Ah, I love it that UKers call bobby pins kirby pins or kirby grips! So cute :)