PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted: Change needed

BrightEyes7
September 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Hey everyone! I haven't been around much lately, but I need some advice.

I'm bored with my hair. So I've done a lot of thinking and I've made a few decisions. Don't worry... no drastic cutting or anything like that. First I decided I need bangs. I've been growing them out and they are a little past APL now... but I realized I don't look right without them. Also, the only person I've ever trusted to cut my hair finally moved back in town so I'll be going to a hairdresser for the first time in 4 years! I'm so excited! :disco: So I'm going to have her cut some soft, side bangs. Soft, long layers in the front and do very long blended layers on just the ends so the can lay nicer. That I've already decided.

But... I also realized I miss my dark brown hair. I've always used permanent dye and I'd always do a full hair application each time to acheive the dark choclate brown I wanted. So before it didn't matter because my hair was really short, but I also heat styled daily (blowdry AND straighten every day) Now I don't heat style anymore, save for special occasions, and I haven't dyed my hair in about a year now. My roots are very nice and super soft... but I don't like the color. I'm very unhappy with it. It's just a plain lightish-mediumish-brownish-darkblondeish color. Just blah! Anyway, so I've decided I'm color it dark brown again.

So once that decision was made, I started thinking about my options and I can't decide on my method of coloring. I tend toward reddish tones, but it's all wrong for my coloring. That is why I didn't consider hendigo. Is there any way I could get dark brown hair with henna/indigo and not get reddish tints?? I want dark brown, not black or blackish brown.

If not, then I plan to just use a chemical dye of some sort. Either semi, demi, or permanent. I haven't decided on that part yet either.

So give me your opinions.... thanks!!:)

starlamelissa
September 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I recommend doing a semi permanent chocolate brown, either healthy look brand, available at walmart or walgreens, or jazzing at sallys. You'll need two bottles, you have a lot of hair.

I love bangs! So I am biased there.

Roscata
September 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM
You can try adding Buxus dioica (also called Katam), it's suppose to give more of an ashy color. I say always strand-test. Click here (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/buxus/index.html) if you look at number 3 that's not reddish at all. You could also try some henna+indigo+katam combination.

To get browner results you may also use: strong black tea (gives brown to golden hues depending on the tea and your starting color), strong black coffee (although some say this doesn't work), ground coffee beans (mix with the henna powder before adding liquid), walnut powder (possible allergen - test before using!), red wine (brings final color towards chestnut). Good luck! :D

julierockhead
September 21st, 2011, 10:13 PM
You can try adding Buxus dioica (also called Katam), it's suppose to give more of an ashy color. I say always strand-test. Click here (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/buxus/index.html) if you look at number 3 that's not reddish at all. You could also try some henna+indigo+katam combination.

To get browner results you may also use: strong black tea (gives brown to golden hues depending on the tea and your starting color), strong black coffee (although some say this doesn't work), ground coffee beans (mix with the henna powder before adding liquid), walnut powder (possible allergen - test before using!), red wine (brings final color towards chestnut). Good luck! :D

This!

You can do bunches of strand tests, and if you just can't find what you want with henna mixes, then go ahead with the box dye. The thing about doing henna and indigo and buxus is its permanent nature, which I love - very little fading! And in my experience, very conditioning and strengthening. It's worth it, I think, to find your perfect mix.

You can always sell the plant dyes on the swap board, too.

ebba
September 22nd, 2011, 12:26 AM
I would have to agree to try a demi-permanent color

dulce
September 22nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Why not some new hair toys?

BrightEyes7
September 22nd, 2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks!!! I didn't know anything about katam! I think I may look into a henna/indigo/katam mix. I like the number 3 color, but would prefer it a big darker and richer. I want a deep chocolate type color.

Roscata
September 22nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks!!! I didn't know anything about katam! I think I may look into a henna/indigo/katam mix. I like the number 3 color, but would prefer it a big darker and richer. I want a deep chocolate type color.

You're welcome! I hope it works out. Post pics! Lol. Everyone loves pics. :D