PDA

View Full Version : How much hair loss is too much?

kellysmum
September 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I wash my hair every other day, and when I do I generally lose the same amount: 80-90 hairs (yes, I actually counted). This number worried me, so I talked to my stylist and she said that because I wash every other day, and do not comb or brush at all on the in-between days, that I'm really losing 40 hairs or so per day, which is perfectly normal. I've seen a dermatologist and my family doctor, had blood tests run, and though I have PCOS, I am basically okay. So would anyone else be worried by this type of hair loss? BTW, I can pull on tufts of my hair, and none comes out. Just lose hair in the shower. Thanks.

NaturalMommy
September 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Totally normal. Unless your hair is thinning or looking bald-ish I would not worry. I lose about the same amount.

kellysmum
September 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM
NaturalMommy,
Thanks for the reply! You have helped relieve my anxiety. Hopefully others will chime in with us and report it as normal. Thanks again.

Cainwen
September 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't worry. I've always been quoted 100 hairs a day as the average/normal hair shed. Unless your hair is noticeably thinner/looking bald, don't worry about it.

Cassie 123
September 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Totally normal! :thumbsup:

owlathena
September 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've been worried about shedding lately. I've been losing an incredible amount of hair every day for the past month or so. If I gently tug or finger-comb through a section of hair, I lose several strands and brushing makes a huge mess. My hair is also significantly thinner than it was a couple months ago. I'm trying to tell myself its just because the weathers been really hot and that it'll stop now that its cooling off. I thought I was just being paranoid, but then my friend commented on how many of my shed hairs were all over the place.

Is it possible that a few weeks of abnormally hot weather could affect my hair like this?

Chetanlaiho
September 20th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I've been worried about shedding lately. I've been losing an incredible amount of hair every day for the past month or so. If I gently tug or finger-comb through a section of hair, I lose several strands and brushing makes a huge mess. My hair is also significantly thinner than it was a couple months ago. I'm trying to tell myself its just because the weathers been really hot and that it'll stop now that its cooling off. I thought I was just being paranoid, but then my friend commented on how many of my shed hairs were all over the place.

Is it possible that a few weeks of abnormally hot weather could affect my hair like this?

I had the same as you and the weather wasn't even terribly hot :/ I've heard of people having seasonal sheds though. I remember I started shedding a lot less when I switched to LHC-methods, which coincided with the start of autumn so I'm thinking I might be a summer shedder.

happybear
September 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
If you feel that you are seeing hair everywhere, see that your hair is getting thinner and friends/family are commenting then you probably aren't imagining anything and should head to the doc and get your iron/thyroid/hormones checked to be on the safe side.