PDA

View Full Version : New piercing+henndigo

Becky9679
September 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I've recently got a helix piercing (that's the cartilage at the top of the ear). It's about 3 and a half weeks old and so it's still in the initial healing period which generally lasts about 6 weeks (where the piercing is prone to scabbing). I know that even after the initial healing period is over cartilage piercings can take anything from 4 months to a full year to heal completely.

My hair is about due for a henndigo, however I don't think it would be very wise to do this so soon after having a piercing in this area, particularly as I tend to get henndigo all over my ears!

How long should I wait before using henndigo again? Would it be alright to do it after the initial 6 weeks is up or should I leave it longer than that?

ellen732
September 20th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I don't think the henndigo would bother it other than it may be sensitive to the touch. If it were chemical dye I might wait a while.

pepperminttea
September 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
This'll sound odd, but could you put clingfilm over that ear?

teal
September 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM

...or petroleum jelly (vaseline)...

renarok
September 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I suggest both vaseline and a small piece of clingfilm. The vaseline will hold the plastic in place and keep the vaseline from smearing onto the hair. Good luck

cindy58
September 20th, 2011, 02:35 PM

. . . or an ear muff (just kidding!)

MandyBeth
September 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
DO NOT PUT VASELINE OR ANY OINTMENT NEAR A NEW PIERCING!!!!!!!!!!!

Tape a piece of clingwrap over the ear, no tape near the piercing, then henndigo.

terryn
September 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM
With mandybeth! Absolutely do not put vaseline on a new piercing! Being pretty well pierced up myself, I've seen about a million different kinds of aftercare advise, but one thing is consistent - you do not want to put anything like that on or near the piercing.

You will be just fine to do it after the 6 week mark, that is when external healing is complete, and unless you seriously rub your henndigo into the piercing, it won't interact with the internal healing. I would put cling wrap over it at that time just to be safe, but otherwise you'll be fine.

Hope you enjoy your helix! I've had mine for almost 5 years and I still love it. :)

Cania
September 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
When I had my pinna piercing done (pretty much the same area) I covered my ear in clingfilm whilst putting chemical dye on my hair and I've had no problems :)

Kaelee
September 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I had no problems with henna and my conchs but I did wait a little while before I did it. A month or so. Just try not to get it on thepiercing and rinse VERY well afterwards. You'll be fine. :)

Becky9679
September 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice!

Don't worry, I know not to put anything on a new piercing except salt water, I've got a few myself (5 in each earlobe, eyebrow, labret and tongue) but this is my first cartilage piercing and I was concerned because I know they heal differently.

I'll wait until the 6 weeks is up and wrap my ear in clingfilm - that never occurred to me but it's an excellent idea ;)

Asequui
September 21st, 2011, 03:17 AM
Becky, go to your local Sally's or beauty supply of your choice. They have ear protectors specifically to protect your ears when using dye, bleach, etc. I ran across them when I went in for a heat cap for my last henna. I :crush: these things sooo hard since I'm guilty of getting henna around my ears, inside my ears, on the bathroom floor, on the cat, etc etc etc...yeah I'm a little messy come Henna Time.

Anyhow, they look like miniature clear shower caps and they just pop right over your ears.