PDA

View Full Version : Fringe growth speed

uptosomeone
September 20th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Does a person's fringe grow faster than the rest of their hair? Because I"m fairly sure mine does. It's a bit frightening how much faster it seems to grow.

Bangs: two months ago were an inch and a half shorter than they are now.
The rest of my hair: maaaybe a half an inch longer in the same amount of time.

When I wasn't trying to grow them out I trimmed them every month or so because they grew about 3/4 to an inch per month. The rest of my hair I was loathe to trim every four months because it grew so little, an inch if I was lucky. They got the same treatment...same flat-ironing, shampoo, conditioner, blow-drying. I can't think of anything different in their routine.

Is this even possible!?:confused:

oktobergoud
September 20th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I don't know, mine seems to grow really fast as well! My theory is that it's the shortest of all, so you'll see the growth better and faster? Mine doesn't really grow faster as the rest of my hair, it just looks like it does!

longhairedlady
September 20th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Well it could be that because it is the newest and freshest growth that it has the least damage so that is why it appears they grow faster. Or like oktobergoud said maybe its cause its the shortest so you noticed it more easily?

Lianna
September 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Mine grows slower. :( I'm growing them out.

Alaia
September 20th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Well it could be that because it is the newest and freshest growth that it has the least damage so that is why it appears they grow faster. Or like oktobergoud said maybe its cause its the shortest so you noticed it more easily?

This.

Especially the damage part. Your hair appears just long enough to get it trapped between your back and other things, so it is most likely to be that.

Aerin
September 20th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Hmm, my best guess is that the fringe hair is growing at the same rate as everything else, just there is increased rate of damage on the non-fringe hair that is causing breakage at an increased rate. I figure if a particular hair "tip" has only so many heat stylings in it before it breaks, the fringe is going to last longer just because you have to trim it to keep it as fringe.

spidermom
September 20th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Every single follicle on your head has its own speed of growth. I have an area on the right in the back that grows fastest.

Tsopana
September 20th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I envy you!! I'm trying to grow out my fringe but it seems to be growing amaaazingly slow! I haven't had it cut in the past 6 months, and ok, it was very very short to begin with, but still! I want to be able to finally put it behind my ears soon..:(

archel
September 20th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Yep, what spidermom said. I had my first trim in months a while back (also when I got bangs) and there were pieces that were an inch longer than other pieces, maybe more, and I had a blunt hem to start with. I also just got my first bang trim and there were parts that were a cm longer than others because it all grows different. So weird!

infinity_girl
September 20th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Mine grows super slow. That's how it seems anyhow.

jojo
September 20th, 2011, 06:40 AM
They appear to but I think its because you are more aware of them and have more landmarks i.e nose, lip, chin etc whereas once your hair gets long in the back you cannot see it and there are less and larger areas for growth to be considered a goal i.e. apl to bsl can be a years growth, whereas eyebrow to nose just a matter of months!

Saying that I cut my fringe in again in April ive trimmed 3 times and cut to above eyebrow begining of June, its now near the end of my nose and I have a big nose!

Therefore an inch in the front is a lot but an inch in the back seems nothing!

Hairitic
September 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I WISH my bangs would grow faster than the rest. I've been trying to get them even with the rest of my hair for over a year now. I've trimmed the rest occasionally but not the bangs and they are still much shorter. )-;

CurlyMopTop
September 20th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Mine grows slow as well. :(

FrozenBritannia
September 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I have to cut mine every two weeks or they get in my eyes. I usually only cut them to just above my eyebrows though, as I have a very short forehead.

Anje
September 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM
The most effective way to test this would be to dye your hair with a contrasting, semi-permanent color. Then see whether you get longer roots at your bangs area than at other parts of your head. (Dealing with having your hair a different color iw a potential downside here....)

My guess is that everything grows at a similar speed for the most part, and that you just notice the fringe growing faster because it ends up in your eyes. Or possibly that there's breakage in the longer parts of the hair making growth less noticeable. But many people do find different parts of their scalps produce hair at different speeds, so actually having a faster-growing fringe is a possibility.

MaryRose
September 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
My fringe seems to grow faster too. I think it is just as said before. The fringe is newer hair therefore less damage has been done to it.

KwaveT
September 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I think mine grows at a fairly good rate. I also expect that the hair over my left ear seems to grow faster than hair over my right ear. The hair is about just over half way down right ear while it is peaking below earlobe on the left ear. This is a lot of different for four or five months growth. So maybe my layers were cut differently on that side of the head.

McFearless
September 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM
It could be a few things. Maybe you have more markings on your face to measure the growth, like your eyebrows, nose, mouth, chin, etc, plus that hair is closest to your face so you see it quite a bit and can notice changes or different feelings. We notice quickly when our bangs are getting in our eyes or tickling our nose. Or it could be because you fiddle with your bangs more. Maybe you touch the scalp there a lot when you style your hair and play with it? Could be the added blood circulation, who knows. I felt the same way once I had bangs but when my hair was all one length the front did not grow any faster.

<3OnHerSleeve
September 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
My mother's hair DEFINITELY grows faster on the top of her head than down the back. I cut her hair so I can tell. Her layers grow out in the blink of an eye almost literally. After a month the top layer is the almost the same length as the next layer :S

Oksana
September 21st, 2011, 06:39 AM
When i had blunt bangs i was convinced that my bangs grew at double the speed of the rest of my hair. Now i am growing them out...my opinion has changed :p

slo2gro
September 21st, 2011, 10:57 AM
My mother's hair DEFINITELY grows faster on the top of her head than down the back. I cut her hair so I can tell. Her layers grow out in the blink of an eye almost literally. After a month the top layer is the almost the same length as the next layer :S

I wish my layers would grow out that fast... :)

Alacris~
September 21st, 2011, 11:20 AM
My bangs grow really fast, unless I want them to grow! I guess it's just that you notice it the most. When you want short hair or keep a lenght, it seems to grows fast. When you want it to grow, it seems to grow slow.

And it's always possible they really grow a lot faster ofc:)

Mrspuddinhead
September 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
uptosomeone I believe my fringe does grow faster then the rest of my hair. On 4/25/2011 I had my future mother in law cut in some fringe and they reached eye brow length and now they reach to right above my lips, 7". I have layers that are APL, 16" that don't seem to be growing at all( at least I can pull them back) My fringe is already half the length of those layers. I'm wanting to do a micro trim on my ends to get rid of the dead ends while perhaps I cut a bit more off the layers. Hopefully that will get them to grow.

tigereye
September 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Mine grows slower too. For my childhood up until I was 11 I had a fringe, which got cut twice yearly like the rest of my hair. It never got past my eyes. So much for 1/2" a month. But the rest of my hair grew like a weed. I decided to grow it out when I was 11. I had maybe mid-back length hair at the time. I grew out the rest of my hair and maintained it around waist, until I started growing again when I joined here. My length went from waist to hip in 5 months (Wow. Never realised that until I counted). I then got my hair trimmed to a couple of inches below waist to make my ends nice, and my old fringe finally caught up with the rest of my hair. When I was 17! Thats 6 years, for my fringe to get from eye-level to 2 1/2" below waist! Talk about slow.
Meanwhile the rest of my hair still grew like a weed. My main length could probably have done it in only a couple of years.

I always went to the hairdressers and they would cut off more than I wanted until I discovered it was because I wanted a blunt cut, and they had to even off the fast growing length with the slower hair at the front. My hair can make a pretty decent U hem by the time I go in for a trim, and I'm sure it's just because the back grows faster than the front. I also have hairs at the front, right by my part that refuse to grow more than a couple of inches below chin, so I gave up and just trimmed them even into thin chin-length bangs.

It's not damage that causes it, because I don't heat style of chemically process any of my hair (I love henna though) and never have, and they aren't long enough for it to get into my hair elalsic for that to damage, and most of the time I don't bother with elastics, and go for hairsticks instead.

Ugh. Fine. I guess I'll just let my hair have it's own way. It's not worth it to fight. I would never grow anywhere.

Lianna
September 22nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Another thing to think about is why people grow U or V hemlines (even from a blunt cut). It's because there are areas that grow faster. Why not some variance in the fringe area aswell? Totally possible.