PDA

View Full Version : DIY Protein treatments?

WillowHair87
September 20th, 2011, 03:06 AM
My hair is dry. def. but it also breaks easily. I'm guessing i need a protein treament? Any ideas on some protein treaments?

I really want to try SMT for moisture. i already do quite a lot for moisture so I want to give a protein treament a try.

but then I read here that they should be followed with a moisture treatment?

Could I do SMT afterwards?

signed,

clueless

:p

Aredhel77
September 20th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Yes, you could :)

Does your hair have any product buildup on it? You may want to clarify first with a sulfate shampoo then follow with the protein treatment & SMT.

Sounds like a hair day to me :disco:

WillowHair87
September 20th, 2011, 11:28 AM
ok so I bought a conditioner called full spectrum protein conditioner.

ingredients:water,behentrimonium methosulfate,sodium benzoate, niacin, pathenol, hydrolyzed wheat protein, aloe barbadensis, leaf juice, folic acid, biotin, vitamin b6, kiwi fruit extract, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, cetearyl alcohol, potassium sorbate, dmdm hydantoin, tocopheryl acetate, fragrance.

lots of cones..

should I maybe mix this with an egg? then afterwards follow it with SMT?

sarahbrownie
September 20th, 2011, 12:12 PM
You might not need protein but moisture. See Kirin's article on Hair Diagnostic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) for more info. So protein might make it worse, but it's never a bad idea to try.

Try a SMT, personally I do a everything-but-the-kitchen-sink SMT. I just put a bunch of stuff that is around my house or mix the last of my hair products together. I always loved 3MM from Aussie, Ojon Dry Recovery, or Suave's Almond and Shea Condish as deep treatments.

Airmide
September 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I use eggs occasionally. If using eggs, be very sure to wash in the *coldest* possible water you can stand, unless you enjoy picking scrambled eggs out of your hair lol. They will cook even at surprisingly cool temperatures.

But using eggs often makes my hair feel a little dry. So you may just need oiling and moisture. I agree with the SMT suggestion. I'd start with a couple of those and some oil, like jojoba or coconut. Then maybe a clarification, a couple more SMT's and then a protein treatment if you feel you still need it.