PDA

View Full Version : Different growth rates at different parts of your head?

isabelx
September 20th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Firstly I aplogise if this is a ridiculously stupid question or if the answer is just common sense!

So I was considering the possibility that I could have a 2 year anagen period, meaning my hair would grow to 12 inches on average. But 12 inches from where?
Because surely a hair of 12 inches starting from the top of your head would look shorter than those starting at the bottom.

So do hairs on different areas of your heads grow faster than others so it all evens out?

I have layers so I don't have hair starting from the top of my head reaching my shoulders (I have shoulder length hair) but if I did it'd probably be 12 inches.

My hair on the bottom that isn't layered is only around 8 inches long so does this mean they could grow another 4 inches or do different hairs have different terminal lengths?

Reading this back now I realise I sound a bit of a fool but I'm worried that my hair that isn't layered may not reach longer than it is!

kme81
September 20th, 2011, 01:06 AM
The hair on the right side of my head becomes noticeably longer than the left side after about a year of little to no trimming...it never balances itself out, I have to trim to make it even. :/

xoxophelia
September 20th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I see what you are asking. First off, you most likely have longer than 2 years before the bulk of your hair reaches terminal. And no, the hairs do not grow at different rates in different areas of the head to even out the hemline. You may have slower growing hair in some areas like the sides for example which is determined by your genetics. When you are near or at terminal length your hair will taper more noticeably so that it gradually becomes thinner.

Shesta
September 20th, 2011, 02:53 AM
So I was considering the possibility that I could have a 2 year anagen period, meaning my hair would grow to 12 inches on average. But 12 inches from where?
Because surely a hair of 12 inches starting from the top of your head would look shorter than those starting at the bottom.

So do hairs on different areas of your heads grow faster than others so it all evens out?

It will be 12 inches from the root to the end of the single hair. For each hair individually. Usually our hair does not have a notion of what a hemline is. :p

isabelx
September 20th, 2011, 03:02 AM
So each hair on my head will definitely reach 12 inches before it drops out? I just want my length to reach longer than 8 inches :D

Shesta
September 20th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Well, why do you think it shouldn't? Probably a miniscule fraction of people have their terminal length above waist. Relax :) I guess you may have a bit of a stalled growth and you aren't any near your terminal length. :) What is the condition of your hair - is it shedding or breaking? Why do you think it may not grow more, based on what?

isabelx
September 20th, 2011, 04:08 AM
My hair is definitely in the best condition it's been in years, thanks to LHC of course :D I used to abuse my hair a lot though so maybe I still have to grow some of that damage out because I still seem to get many split ends even though I treat it extremely gently. I shed quite large amounts but I have a lot (and I mean a lot!) of hair, so is this normal? I was just worried because even as a child my hair never grew past my shoulders, so I thought maybe I have an abnormally short terminal length.

jasper
September 20th, 2011, 04:30 AM
So each hair on my head will definitely reach 12 inches before it drops out? I just want my length to reach longer than 8 inches :D

No, I don't think so. I am pretty sure hair at different parts of your scalp will have different growth rates and different terminal lengths.

I have short hair at the nape of my neck that is always about the same length no matter what. That shorter underlayer of hair has tapered ends, so it doesn't look like breakage to me.

I think you should be able to reach new lengths, but remember how much time it will take to get to virgin, undamaged hair. You might suffer splits and breakage for a while first.

Everyone sheds a lot. Most of us freak out about it at least once in a while, but most of us who freak us are not really experiencing anything abnormal or getting thinner hair.

isabelx
September 20th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your inputs everyone :) I guess all I can really do is wait and see.

misspurdy06
September 20th, 2011, 07:21 AM
When I let my roots grow out (I use sun-in or lemon juice to lighten a little) the roots at the top are longer than my roots on the side of my head.

lapushka
September 20th, 2011, 08:18 AM
When I let my roots grow out (I use sun-in or lemon juice to lighten a little) the roots at the top are longer than my roots on the side of my head.

Had the same experience when my perm grew out. The sides kind of lagged behind the rest of the hair.