PDA

View Full Version : Hair extensions - what are your thoughts?

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I feel like such a heretic posting on LHC about this, but I ran into this video and I can't help but drool madly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAnuW1AllA&feature=player_embedded#!

These sisters have their own line of natural hair extensions, and they look pretty cool. It looks like they are all 20'' and not terribly expensive. They also don't look too hard to wear, or very damaging, and appear to blend into the hair very well. But, of course, I don't know since I've never tried them!

What do you guys think of these extensions in particular? Do you think they would damage the hair (watch the video and check out the way they clip onto the hair)? What do you think of hair extensions in general? Do you think wearing extensions is "cheating?"

I know, I know this is a forum for *growing* long hair (as opposed to attaching long hair to your head :D), but hey, some people are impatient! Also, some people are going through hair loss, or had to cut off damage, or had a bunch of length cut off without their permission at a salon... could this be a temporary solution?

For me personally, since all these extensions are 20'' they actually wouldn't add at all to my length, but could add a ton of thickness (not that I really need it). They also have some highlight extensions which would be a way for me to play around with having different colors added to my hair without actually dying my hair.

But I am not going to put something on my hair that could damage it, so that's why I am asking here.

Maybe I should make this into a poll, but then again I really want to read people's thoughts and their reasoning behind their opinions rather than just see a bunch of quick and dirty numbers.

Anje
September 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'll be honest -- I can't speak from personal experience. So this is gleaned information....

The major trouble many people have with extensions is that they can cause more breakage and thinning to the hair on your head. Clip-ins are great for occasional use and often endorsed around here, but if you wear them every day in the same place, they might break the hairs. The ones fastened in more permanent ways (sewing, gluing, etc.) definitely cause stress on the same hairs. This can cause those hairs to be more likely to shed, or can cause them to break off at the securing point.

So I'd say that if you want clip-ins for occasional use or to add highlights or temporary bangs to your hair, by all means go for it. But regular wearing of extensions can exacerbate problems with thinning hair and is likely counter-productive.

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
This is what I am thinking, as well. These seem much less damaging than the more "permanent" kind one would get at a salon, but I can see how wearing it at the same spots repeatedly could cause some damage.

luxepiggy
September 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
These seem like they'd be best for someone who has relatively thick hair and wants to temporarily add length. Trying to add thickness would probably be more difficult; if someone's hair is thin enough for them to be worrying about the way it looks, it's going to be too thin to camouflage three successive sets of those little plastic clips, KWIM?

dulce
September 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM
They can look beautiful but it is hard on your natural hair.For me,I'd rather just grow my own hair.Healthier and cheaper,it just takes time.

kwaniesiam
September 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I see hair extensions in the same light as tanning, acrylic nails, hair color, plastic surgery, and body modification. If you want them, great. It's your choice so go for it. Some methods are damaging to the hair but only if they are not properly done or cared for. Likewise, excessive tanning is not good for your skin and acrylic nails damage the natural nail bed over time.

Glue-ins should NEVER be applied directly on the scalp. They should only be used for a quick weave, where the natural hair is molded down and a protective serum is applied, then wrapped in a special paper and a stocking cap over top of that. Usually done on black women.

Sew-ins can cause tension issues but generally they are safe to wear occasionally. The damage comes from not giving your scalp a break in between having them or leaving them in too long. 2-3 weeks max on slippery Caucasian hair but since getting them done is expensive people try to leave them in longer and it can be disastrous.

Fusion and I-link extensions are my favorite. They are the least damaging to your hair when applied properly. I'm certified to perform this type of extension. It can be used to add length, thickness, or even a pop of fun colors through your hair.

HintOfMint
September 19th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Could be fun for occasional use, go for it! I dig the highlights idea too.

Airmide
September 19th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I've been looking into the clip in extensions for pink streaks. I'm planning to make my own, out of my own sheds so I don't see that as cheating at all, but honestly I do sort of see it as cheating if you're adding length with hair that's not your own. However I understand that some people have drastic thinning issues (I have some issues but thankfully not that bad, at least so far) and I think they could be perfectly acceptable in that case, along the same lines as using a wig if you have to go through chemo.

I'm also interested to know how much they'd damage your hair. It seems like the clip-ins wouldn't damage it that much, though I was reading earlier that some people suggest teasing and using hairspray before clipping them in, which would be damaging!

kwaniesiam
September 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I'm curious to hear from any longhairs that consider extensions cheating yet get fake nails done :twocents:

Inkwell
September 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM
They look great! I'd like to get some for fun until my hair gets long enough. I don't know if my hair is currently long enough to even clip those in and look good though. :-(

WinterButterfly
September 20th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I would suggest that a person gets a wig with a u shape area missing from the top. The real hair can be pulled through this leaving your natural part visible. It looks real, but is less likely to snag. Also a normal wig with a wig cap I a lot like wearing a cap. You can have the long hair look without the damage of weaves and snap in extentions.

Lianna
September 20th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I've used clip-ins for a few months. Even though my hair is fine (specially back there where I clipped) it didn't damage my hair at all. Fine hairs must be more careful...I didn't need to tease or hairspray. I used the extensions just to make a looped ponytail when my hair didn't quite made a ponytail. I could "do" my hair without effort, without heat tools or gel (which I hate) at a very awkward frizzy shag length.

Personally I don't think you need it, your hair is long and medium thickness. While I think clip-ins are fine, I also think it should be worned when people are going through a phase of not liking their hair or are having too much trouble with it. Just my opinion...and they are unconfortable (at least to my daily activities).

Shesta
September 20th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I'm planning to make my own, out of my own sheds..

I'm also collecting shed hair for the same purpose. But I still haven't come up with how exactly this is to be done.
Airmide, how do you plan to do it?

vanillabones
September 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Ohhh they are damaging. Before I cut my hair off to a pixie I would wear them to add more volume. They don't hide well in thin hair. I would tease and hairspray my fine hair to put the clips in until I realized they still stay in without doing any of that. I could never use the full head of the extensions given, my head is too small and my hair is too baby fine.

They still can knot and pull your hair out when you unclip them and they get heavy and uncomfortable. After I wore a pixie for years I bleached it white and started wearing the clipins again, I toned blonde ones to my white bleach color and they were fine but my hair was so damaged I didnt want to put them in every day. I got fusion extensions. They ruined my hair. Taking them out ripped out my hair and split the ends and I had to use a lice comb to pick them out. They were horrible. I didn't go back to the salon I got them at to remove them because they yanked and literally pulled my hair as hard as they could like a rope when simply dying it... I'd never had that happen before. Bad, bad experience as you can see. My ends were like straw and split, my hair felt awful and so did I. Dbf... or ex dbf... idk... he's left me... thought the extensions damaged my hair way more than bleaching it.

Fusion pictures
http://i51.tinypic.com/2l2bsn.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2941jsp.jpg

After taking them out and trying to dye my hair back to my natural color... (ash brown on platnium blonde so my hair turned green, yay) needless to say this is the week I found LHC.

http://i53.tinypic.com/30nht2o.jpg
Hard to see... cellphone pic... you can still see how bad the ends are and the icky color.

Let this be a warning to damaging extensions :( I am lucky I am not bald. I would have been if I didn't take them out myself for over 6 hours sitting on the floor picking at them and let them yank my hair out of my skull at a salon.

PS: ALSO I would like to add the texture of the extensions can be completely different than your hair and it is hard to deal with. The hair given to me was wavy and medium almost coarse. My hair is straight and baby fine. It was odd.

Mesmerise
September 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I'm curious to hear from any longhairs that consider extensions cheating yet get fake nails done :twocents:

I think it's only cheating if you try and pass them off as real ;). And by that I mean... if someone openly asks you if it's your real hair, you reply "Yes!". If people think it's real and it isn't... well... that's them not you.

Actually i really don't care!

As for fake nails... my sister's friend is doing a nail technician course and needed Guinea Pigs... sooo here I am with my first set of acrylic nails ever...and undoubtedly my last... they're driving me NUTS :rolleyes:!! (I love the look...but argh... typing is sooooo frustrating... and they're not even THAT long).

buttercupmcgee
September 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I feel like such a heretic posting on LHC about this, but I ran into this video and I can't help but drool madly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAnuW1AllA&feature=player_embedded#!

These sisters have their own line of natural hair extensions, and they look pretty cool. It looks like they are all 20'' and not terribly expensive. They also don't look too hard to wear, or very damaging, and appear to blend into the hair very well. But, of course, I don't know since I've never tried them!

What do you guys think of these extensions in particular? Do you think they would damage the hair (watch the video and check out the way they clip onto the hair)? What do you think of hair extensions in general? Do you think wearing extensions is "cheating?"

I know, I know this is a forum for *growing* long hair (as opposed to attaching long hair to your head :D), but hey, some people are impatient! Also, some people are going through hair loss, or had to cut off damage, or had a bunch of length cut off without their permission at a salon... could this be a temporary solution?

For me personally, since all these extensions are 20'' they actually wouldn't add at all to my length, but could add a ton of thickness (not that I really need it). They also have some highlight extensions which would be a way for me to play around with having different colors added to my hair without actually dying my hair.

But I am not going to put something on my hair that could damage it, so that's why I am asking here.

Maybe I should make this into a poll, but then again I really want to read people's thoughts and their reasoning behind their opinions rather than just see a bunch of quick and dirty numbers.

Ok I am totally your girl for this question! I love the Luxy sisters, they are my favorite gurus out there. I've seen each one of their hair and lifestyle videos.

Once my hair reaches BSL I plan on buying a set for added oomph. I want to be able to do huge sock buns for fancy events, or big, sexy waves in an eye blink, without curling my natural hair (I'm thinking rag curls and then use an iron on the extensions.

I am pro clip-ins, having experienced no damage from them in the past!

ETA: I should say that I don't plan on, nor have I ever worn them more than about 2x/ week. I don't know if daily use would be a problem, but seeing as how this community is all about protective styles 90% of the time, I don't see why they'd need to be worn daily!

annieangel149
September 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
oh my god !!!! :scared:
you wont see me anywhere near hair extensions! I have never had them or ever worn the clip ins which im sure are not damaging if worn occasionally but i knew someone who nearly lost all her hair from having glued in hair extensions! Her scalp was soo red and sore and ....gah i cant think about it! but i think the day i witnessed this was the day i became afraid of them! (that would have been about 12 years ago i think)!

like i just said clip ons are probably okay! I just run and hide whenever i see a hair extension whether glued or not due to seeing this person! It was traumatic seeing her pain and tears and half her hair missing that day :(

Lucky
September 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I agree with what some others have said, I don't see the problem for occasional use, but repeated use could possibly cause some damage. They do look nice on the lady in the demonstration, but I would never have the patience to clip in so many wefts! I have a clip on pony tail that I wear from time to time, but it's one clip, that's about all I can handle, lol!
I would never consider glued or sewn in extensions, those could be so damaging and are so much upkeep!
FWIW, I've had fake nails in the past (my sister is a nail tech). I like the way they look but they're a lot of upkeep and I feel like I lose my fine motor skills with them, picking up a coin off the floor was impossible!

julierockhead
September 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I really like those extensions! And the price is not bad. I think if they were very carefully applied and removed, and worn sparingly, why not? I am really eyeing those auburn ones!

jojo
September 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I really don't like false hair or nails and have never had either.

heartgoesboom
September 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM
oh the price isn't bad. i'd love them but i think my hair is as long without them... i'd love the additional thickness though

Rocket22
September 20th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Oh I'm extension queen :) I do love them and hate them at the same time. I wore them for years and just since being on the boards and growing my own hair out, I for some reason can not have them in for very long without them bugging me. but I personally have had a great experience with them. I did go through the trials and tribulations of getting it perfect though. Yes you have to be careful and buying hair that matches is tricky as well. I went through every hair out there until I decided I wanted the absolute best. My hair is very fine and that is impossible to find with what I call pre packaged hair. I spent a fortune buying real virgin hair and having it wefted. I learned how to do them myself using the tape method. I think that is one of the least damaging methods if done correctly. I have an entire album just of my extensions.

Airmide
September 20th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'm also collecting shed hair for the same purpose. But I still haven't come up with how exactly this is to be done.
Airmide, how do you plan to do it?

Well so far I bought the little clips on ebay, and I've been saving my sheds. Occasionally I organize them by untangling, making sure the roots are all facing the same way, and lining them up on a piece of tape. After I have enough, I braid them into tiny braids. So now I have 4 tiny braids, and I think that might be enough to start.

The one thing I have to figure out is how to really believe they're secure! I've read about sewing them to a mesh type ribbon, which is what I'll try, but I'm nervous they'll just fall out. Once I get them securely attached to the ribbon, it should be easy - just sew the ribbon to the little clips. I'll probably be doing one clip's worth at a time rather than a big long line like those with 4 clips.

arith
September 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I can’t speak for me but my sister once got extensions, and yes they looked amazing and very natural on her, unless she told people no one would notice, but it was a pain to take care, I remember her suffering a lot, to comb, wash, to style her hair was always a problem, also they used to tangle a lot when she slept, one they she got so sick of them ant took them all off, and wowed to never again have extensions, the maintenance just wasn’t for her.

sarahbrownie
September 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I think there is nothing wrong with extensions when done right. I had fused individuals a few years ago and my hair was perfectly fine afterwards. I think when done for a long period of time without rest might cause prolonged damage. But I'm coming from a community of synthetic hair extensions including things like dreads and cyber lox, it's another way of experimentation and expression.

Susana
September 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM
If you like them, go for it! If you feel they are pulling, tugging, or breaking your hair, retire them or wear them less often.

Airmide
September 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM
My hair is very fine and that is impossible to find with what I call pre packaged hair. I spent a fortune buying real virgin hair and having it wefted. I learned how to do them myself using the tape method. I think that is one of the least damaging methods if done correctly. I have an entire album just of my extensions.

Is the tape method for making the wefts, or for applying them? I'd love to know more about how you made your own! Especially if you were able to accomplish the part of sewing/attaching the loose hair to make the wefts.

Elia
September 20th, 2011, 01:31 PM
As most people are saying, occasionally is probably fine. I personally find most extensions don't look real because it can't match the texture/thickness/ etc of our own hair, especially if you have thin hair. :)

AcornMystic
September 20th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I see hair extensions in the same light as tanning, acrylic nails, hair color, plastic surgery, and body modification. If you want them, great. It's your choice so go for it. Some methods are damaging to the hair but only if they are not properly done or cared for. Likewise, excessive tanning is not good for your skin and acrylic nails damage the natural nail bed over time.

I agree with this. They are, in truth, all ways to deceive either ourselves, others, or both into thinking we have achieved something we have not, even if the intentions might be true.

My more personal thoughts on extensions...

It may be cheating, but it gets the job done and I never noticed any damage to my hair, except for the god awful amount of spray I used with them to cling/blend my short hair with the longer hairs so I didn't get chunky curls exposing the clips. It pained me to have to make my hair go through that.

I got married in them and I went down with my husband to Idaho to wear them for our reception for his friends and family as well, and I think they are the awesome go-to if you need long hair quick.

My hair when I got married was just above the chin in an orchid bob. What is a girl to do with a Victorian-esque purple ball gown dress dripping with (fake:D) gems and 1920s haircut. The look just wouldn't do. I hunted around for extensions on e-bay and got real hair for only 20 bucks. Straight they fell just below my rib cage, but I curled and sprayed them a few months in advance so they were Shirley Temple ringlets and they rested on my breasts. However they eventually fell into 2b to the tightest 3a curls by the big day and remained at the crease of my breasts. Even got a flower made of feathers to put on my head and complete it.

Everyone at my wedding/reception in my home town knew it was fake, however I'd never met a single person prior to my husband's and my reception down in Idaho other than his immediate family, so for all they knew it could have been my hair. Nobody asked, so I didn't tell them. However, it was the look I was trying to complete, like a costume, nothing to do with my hair singularly.

I wouldn't wear them for anything more than a costume or special event, or just to wear around the house to temporarily experience long hair, but if it's something you want to do everyday and/or be seen with to make coping with shorter/thinner hair easier, and take care not to experience damage, then I say all the power to you.

AlexiaBlue
September 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
As most people are saying, occasionally is probably fine. I personally find most extensions don't look real because it can't match the texture/thickness/ etc of our own hair, especially if you have thin hair. :)

Yes, I agree. Those of us who need it most (the finey's) have problems with extensions because the hair texture does not match ours, so it is glaringly obvious when we wear them. :o I wore them for 2 years, and it was nothing but a nightmare. The majority of the hair comes from Asia, so, of course, that hair type isn't going to blend in seamlessly with our own.

The OP's hair is thick, and would probably have much success with the clip-in's. I don't believe they are damaging if they aren't worn too often and a lot of care is taken when putting them in/removing them. I think the most damage that people experience is from the semi-permanent extensions. Of course, I'm not expert, just my 2 cents here!

OP -- If you end up getting some, please post some pics!

Badwolf
September 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM
The one thing I have to figure out is how to really believe they're secure! I've read about sewing them to a mesh type ribbon, which is what I'll try, but I'm nervous they'll just fall out. Once I get them securely attached to the ribbon, it should be easy - just sew the ribbon to the little clips. I'll probably be doing one clip's worth at a time rather than a big long line like those with 4 clips.

I found this blog post a few months ago about DIY extensions. I bookmarked it because I had this idea that once my hair was longer I'd save my shed hairs to make some fun colored extensions.

http://squigglytwigs.blogspot.com/2011/02/tuesdays-tute-diy-hair-extensions.html

Rocket22
September 20th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Is the tape method for making the wefts, or for applying them? I'd love to know more about how you made your own! Especially if you were able to accomplish the part of sewing/attaching the loose hair to make the wefts.

The tape would be for applying the hair once it was wefted. I would send it off to have the hair put on a weft. I see you are saving shed hairs for clip in's. Honestly it would be almost impossible to keep all the hairs aligned correctly etc to make anything worth sewing onto a weft left alone how long it would take saving the shed hairs. But who knows maybe it can be done, guess you have nothing to lose in trying :)

ETA: Wow Badwolf that link was great!!!! so what do I know :)

leslissocool
September 20th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Well so far I bought the little clips on ebay, and I've been saving my sheds. Occasionally I organize them by untangling, making sure the roots are all facing the same way, and lining them up on a piece of tape. After I have enough, I braid them into tiny braids. So now I have 4 tiny braids, and I think that might be enough to start.

What you could do is glue them into mesh with fake eyelash glue (that glue is really strong and won't damage the hair since it's made for it) and sew it on top, preferably with a machine. Make sure the mesh is nice and thin. If you just sew them in place, they have a tendency to just fall out. Then after that you can hand sew the clips.

My sister bought hair from a friend and did it this way. The clip ins turned out really nice! She put serum on top too so the hair felt super soft.

Jeno86
September 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM

I'm not a fan of fake hair or fake nails. If someone wants to wear them, more power to them but I can't do it. I have really long nails (inch long) and take pride in saying they are 100% real, just like my hair (except for the color). I'm trying to grow out my hennaed hair for that same reason. I want it all to be me.

ladylovecraft
September 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
It depends, really. I find it kind of silly to have glued in or otherwise 'attached' extensions (not clip ins) because it causes so much damage you're unlikely to ever grow real long hair... so what's the point? Just stop getting them and grow it out yourself and stop spending so much money.

One time that I can see them acceptable though is for ladies who have thinner hair and would like to have thicker hair on some days. Right now I'm constructing a set of clip-ins myself for the days I want a few extra inches (IMHO, extensions never look good if they're over 4" longer than your real hair anyway) or some added thickness. Even when I get to my goal length I plan on having some clip ins for clubbing, special events, etc, just for that volume boost. I can never grow thicker hair myself, so I don't really consider that 'cheating'

Yame
September 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM
One time that I can see them acceptable though is for ladies who have thinner hair and would like to have thicker hair on some days. Right now I'm constructing a set of clip-ins myself for the days I want a few extra inches (IMHO, extensions never look good if they're over 4" longer than your real hair anyway) or some added thickness. Even when I get to my goal length I plan on having some clip ins for clubbing, special events, etc, just for that volume boost. I can never grow thicker hair myself, so I don't really consider that 'cheating'

That's a good point, too... I was watching a lot of extension review videos on youtube, and noticed that the people with BSL and shorter hair wearing the WL extensions looked a bit odd unless their hair was very layered.

ladylovecraft
September 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
That's a good point, too... I was watching a lot of extension review videos on youtube, and noticed that the people with BSL and shorter hair wearing the WL extensions looked a bit odd unless their hair was very layered.

I heard this tip from a hair extensions master (whose hair ALWAYS looks real, even if it isn't) and it seems true to me to this day. Honestly though the gap between BSL and waist to me is about 4", so I could pull off waist extensions now. But there are definitely some girls with chin/pixies/aplish hair wearing waist length extensions and to me, I can always spot it, even in person. It's just glaringly obvious.

supbanana
September 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM
Cheating? AFAIK, growing hair isn't a game or a race. ;)

People should just do what makes them happy, but like most people have mentioned here there probably aren't the best for your natural hair.

beccababesx
September 21st, 2011, 06:44 AM
I wore 18-20" clip in extensions every single day from my hair being above APL until it was just past my boobs (AKA until my hair got longer than them). I personally didn't notice any breakage however keep in mind I have thick, medium-course hair, and I wasn't part of LHC then so a fair amount of damage/breakage could have gone unnoticed!

seaj
September 21st, 2011, 06:39 PM
Just wanted to post this video since it's my favorite about clip-ins. I think that they can look really awesome if they are custom fitted and cut. I kinda want some just for pictures haha, not for everyday wear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHpiSat66g

Lianna
September 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Short hair can look nice/natural with long extensions...yes, even 5 inches longer, and even longer...That's why I always defend the fact that extensions are something to be complimented (not just real hair should be praised)...because blending it isn't that easy/a lot of people can't do it right.

julierockhead
September 27th, 2011, 09:33 PM
So Yame are you going to get them? I am eager to hear what they are like...the red color is calling to me...

mallorykay13
September 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM
If I wore extentions I would feel as though I were cheating. I also think it gives many women an out for hair care. They dont have to worry about their ends breaking as much.

maborosi
September 27th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I feel like, unless you're trying to pass them off as your real hair, then it's really no big deal.
I've met a few people who've tried passing them off as real hair. I just don't really think that's a very honest thing to do, jmo.

~maborosi~

Heatherzilla
September 27th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I personally have never owned extensions since I don't think I could find any that blend with my natural curls. My sister owns a set of clip in ones that have been cut and dyed to match her natural hair and they look pretty good on her and she hasn't noticed any damage from them. That said, she barely ever wears them since they're uncomfortable. I've tried them on before and the little clip things are really annoying against your scalp.

She has a set of the more permanent microlink ones coming in the mail that I'm supposed to help her put in and I have a few bright fire engine red ones on their way to me to so I can play around with some streaks without bleaching my hair. I doubt I'll keep mine around for ages since curling the extensions every time I wash them will be a pain in the butt but it'll be an interesting experiment. Damage wise, the microlink ones are supposed to be less damaging than the heat or glue bonded kind, but I've never had them before so we'll see.

clarinette
September 28th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Ah I've just done this! no camera right now so no pics, but it feels so nice , (i got clip ins and they don't damage anything if you're careful while removing them).
What is feels like is: you wake up at BSL, and magically get hip lenght hair!! only issue i had was back ache. I kept leaning forward in chairs/battling to keep it from getting caught between my back and the chair, but apart from that it's really nice to feel it brushing your hips. It's a relief from "OMG it's NOT growing" at least for a day. Then i took them off and was expecting to feel depressed from my own short hair and it's thinness, but i didn't. I had forgotten my lenght in a day. I'll be wearing them rarely, because everybody knows me here and of course they know it's all fake, but it's still a nice feeling.

UltraBella
September 28th, 2011, 07:37 AM
This is just my personal experience and opinion, I am fine with whatever others choose for themselves.
Being a salon owner, extensions are done in my salon. We have a particular stylist who specializes in them. Whether it be wax, glue, fusion, micro links, sewn in - they damage your hair. Women love them at first and hate them later once they are removed and their own hair is thin and broken.

Clip ins are different. They can be damaging to thin or frail hair, but they are much easier than any of the other options. You have to be very careful that the clips aren't pulling and frankly, you have to be REALLY careful there is not some sort of friction going on while they are in.
Let me just put it this way....... We have had to CUT two of the clips from someone's hair after an intimate moment resulted in lots and lots of friction. If your head is rubbing back and forth on a pillow for an hour, you may find that your hair and the clips have become so tangled that there is no hope of easy removal. Since the clips are applied so close to the scalp, it's a nasty SNIP. Be very careful in this area ladies !!

I personally can not wear another person's hair on my head. It creeps me out. I think there is a very greedy, unethical side to extensions and I do not feel comfortable. I know for a fact that hair is some times cut off of a dead person's head for a struggling family to make extra money for their burial. I can't get past that. It's just stuck in my head forever.
How I feel is similar to this : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1036155/Why-Ill-wear-hair-extensions-pop-star-Jamelia.html
I just know that sometimes the situation is even worse and it makes extensions cringe worthy for me, personally. When someone is getting them done in the salon, I just steer clear of the whole process. I could just say no extensions in my salon, but that's not fair to the stylist or the clients who want them.

rowie
September 28th, 2011, 08:12 AM
My own personal feelings about extensions is that if you have cancer or a terrible sickness, and you want them, then it's not a problem.

Whenever my sister gets a comment about her classic length hair, people ask her if she uses extensions. It makes me angry that my sister has at some point pulled and tugged her hair to prove that they are real. I just don't like these types of people that for some reason questions a person's really long hair where it would be really difficult to imitate. Either they are jealous or a long hair hater that they have to use this kind of questioning. Plus I feel like it disrespects LHC because it is like putting on someone else' hair, their own hard work onto a person who pays money for it. I know that extensions are a business that gives some people a job, etc... Personally, I draw the line when someone starts asking a long haired individual if their hair is real or if they use extension kind of questioning. People in LHC work really hard to take care of their hair, and I find it repulsive for people who cannot just accept or perhaps just say "wow, your hair is really long, and you must take good care of it..."

Avital88
September 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
hmmm. they look good.. but still..extensions.. i dont like it,but hey thats me:)

Airmide
September 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM
UltraBella thanks for linking that article. I remember a long time ago reading about or watching something similar about the Hindu women shaving their heads and the temples selling the hair, but it did not go into detail about the girls in Russia and other places. I think if the women know their hair is being sold by the temple, maybe it's not so bad, but I agree that it does seem exploitative.

Rowie, I'm asked frequently whether my hair is real and it always startles me a bit. A wide variety of people ask, from those who look like they might be wearing extension themselves, to some sweet ladies at my folk dance who obviously just admired my length and weren't sure it could be real. I do feel irritated at the culture which makes people "have" to ask if my hair is real, but not necessarily at the individual person asking, depending how they ask.

Lianna
September 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I think if the women know their hair is being sold by the temple, maybe it's not so bad, but I agree that it does seem exploitative.

I remember reading an article long ago about how the temple gives back to the community with the hair money.

Yame
September 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
So Yame are you going to get them? I am eager to hear what they are like...the red color is calling to me...
I don't think I am. They really wouldn't make my hair any longer, just thicker, and I think my thickness is okay. If I am going to spend money on extensions, I want them to make my hair longer. As for getting them for highlights, I thought about it and decided it would be a little overkill to get that many extensions just for a few colored pieces... I could probably find smaller pieces that I could clip in for that effect, for cheaper... but either way it's not the first thing on my mind.

UltraBella thanks for linking that article. I remember a long time ago reading about or watching something similar about the Hindu women shaving their heads and the temples selling the hair, but it did not go into detail about the girls in Russia and other places. I think if the women know their hair is being sold by the temple, maybe it's not so bad, but I agree that it does seem exploitative.

Thanks to those of you pointing out the ethics issues surrounding the hair extension industry. It's definitely very relevant in this discussion, and it's something I've thought about as well from an article on this same topic (perhaps the same article?) which I read a long time ago.

Unfortunately, I've become a bit jaded when it comes to these things. It seems like most mass-produced products are produced unethically in some way, whether it be abuse of animals, abuse of workers, environmental damage, etc, most beauty products, clothes, electronics, and even food that we buy is unethical. This doesn't mean we shouldn't try to be informed about what we are buying, just that we need to pick our battles.

wtchmel
September 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM
For you personally, From what I could see of your pics, your hair is longer then what that would give you, not to mention, thickness wise your hair looked thicker then the after pic on the begining of that video! I think your hair is fine, and why take a chance with damage of anykind. ( I always post before reading the entire thread, so that is why my response may not be relevant,lol)

Airmide
September 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Yes Yame you have a good point about picking our battles. It seems near impossible to avoid all potential ethical issues. I think you have to be informed and pick those that matter most to you, and incorporate everything you can, yet keep a balance of still affording, living and enjoying your life.

To me, if the women at the temple KNOW the hair is being sold, and choose to do so as a sacrifice and to benefit their temple and their community, then that is their own personal choice. My first concern is that it seems most women do not know how their sacrifice is being used, and I am a firm believer in informed consent! I do also wonder how much "choice" there is to it when someone's religion tells they they must do something (especially something with financial gain) in order to avoid negative consequences or gain favors. It's one thing for a church/temple/etc to ask for donations, or even require some sort of tithing if it's not a hardship for their followers, and the gains are used ethically, but the circumstances described seem like these women are very desperate for things that are essential in their lives.

And it may be a similar circumstance for women in Russia and elsewhere, though it may have a more direct practical application there. Women sacrificing hair at temples in India may believe that their prayers will be answered, while women selling their hair may have enough to purchase an answer to their prayers of being able to afford to feed their family or get health care. In that case I think it's not necessarily the hair extension industry's fault for the poverty that would set up these circumstances, but it does bring into question again how many other options these women have.

I know personally, especially going through infertility, that if I felt my only option was to sell my hair to have the funds to buy a medical treatment I needed to get pregnant or protect my children, it would be a quick decision, but not without grief. I do actually keep it in the back of my head that I could sell my hair if I *had* to, but I'm grateful that so far I've been able to find other options.

princess03
September 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM
When you get a bad haircut I think clip ins are a good aid not solution to growing your length back simply because they can ease the frustration... I used them when I had a really bad haircut that left me from waist to almost all length APL except a few strands dangling longer. I couldn't part with the length and clip ins really helped fill in the horrendous job...

I didn't use them daily but did frequently (when left my hair down) and there was no damage. It's been 10 months and I have my length back and my hair is almost layered free. My hair is now longer than the clip ins and looks much nicer :D

I learned to cut my own hair and haven't visited a salon since so that experience had some positive outcome

Yame
September 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yes Yame you have a good point about picking our battles. It seems near impossible to avoid all potential ethical issues. I think you have to be informed and pick those that matter most to you, and incorporate everything you can, yet keep a balance of still affording, living and enjoying your life.

To me, if the women at the temple KNOW the hair is being sold, and choose to do so as a sacrifice and to benefit their temple and their community, then that is their own personal choice. My first concern is that it seems most women do not know how their sacrifice is being used, and I am a firm believer in informed consent! I do also wonder how much "choice" there is to it when someone's religion tells they they must do something (especially something with financial gain) in order to avoid negative consequences or gain favors. It's one thing for a church/temple/etc to ask for donations, or even require some sort of tithing if it's not a hardship for their followers, and the gains are used ethically, but the circumstances described seem like these women are very desperate for things that are essential in their lives.

I agree with you, informed consent is important. The question is, which companies buy hair from suppliers that were honest to their donors, and which don't? How do we find out? And then there is the issue of whether or not the companies even know, because the supplier might be lying to them, as well. Without doing some serious investigating (and I mean really INVESTIGATING, like, going to the place undercover and turning over every stone), we can't ever know for sure. So the question is, do we avoid the product "just in case," and punish even the companies that might be doing business ethically, do we do a little research and then go with whatever seems the most ethical although we don't really know for sure, or do we ignore these issues altogether?

These are rhetorical questions, I don't think there is a right or a wrong answer, it's a balance each individual should think through and decide for themselves.

SilentGuardian
September 28th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Even if they looked real, I wouldn't wear them. I like to be honest with my appearance

InTheCity
September 28th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I think a lot of responses have grouped sewn and glued in extensions with these types of tension clip-ins but they are not the same at all!

The clip ins will only cause damage if you tease and spray in order to give them hold or if you wear a big, heavy one in the same place time after time.

If you simply clip them into place and wear them occasionally, they should not cause any damage whatsoever.

I bought a one-piece Jessica Simpson whole head extension for my wedding (to add thickness) and the piece turned out to be way too huge for my head. My stylist cut it up and used one single strip (probably 1/4 of the amount of hair I bought) blended in to my hair and it looked fantastic.
Now that I cut my hair short, I'm dying to get extensions to use regularly, but I'm far too lazy to style my hair to match. That's the other potential damage. If you don't have hair (eg: straight) that matches the extensions, many people will use heat to make their hair match the piece.

If they don't cost a ton, you've got nothing to lose trying them :)

alyaziaaah
October 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I used to have keratin glue extensions when my length was very thin due to hairloss and my regrowth was thick. I had only 30 to 34 pieces to fill up the length. I had to do it due to my job where long hair is important. Now I am thinking of doing it again.. My natural waves are growing and my tips (12cm) is rebonded and thin from another hairloss. So up its thick and wavy and down I have 3 hairs lol. I am still working as an entertainer so my looks are important for my job

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hat them, personally. It's fake, and I'm personally against fake in general. Also, with extensions, you can't do certain hair styles... people notice you have extensions. I also think that most people will know you have extensions in- like your friends, family, co-workers... so what's the point?

seaj
October 30th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I think hair extensions are really cool even though I have never had them. Depending on how they are installed, they can make any haircut more versatile. Heck, you can even get hair extensions to make your hair shorter. I only have issues with them when people try to pass off extensions as their own natural hair.

I don't see how it is any different from anything else people do to alter the way they look. Any alteration to hair texture or hair color can be argued to be fake no matter how long the effect lasts. Even braidwaves and bunwaves can conceal a person's true hair texture, and make hair look a lot fuller and voluminous and healthier. Makeup is also used for the same purpose, no matter how much is applied - foundation and concealer to cover up imperfect skin and contour, eyeliner and mascara to give the illusion of longer and thicker eyelashes. Some even argue that plucking eyebrows, shaving armpits or legs, clipping nails and getting hair trims are body modifications.

Some modifications are just more widely accepted as normal and necessary.

I don't think someone is fake just for wearing hair extensions because I don't think that it is fake when people with thick hair thin their hair out or get undercuts. I know that if I had the money I'd get my hands on some extensions, hairpeices and wigs. If I had already, I'd probably be done with this current mission to grow my own hair long haha.

For sure hair extensions can be damaging and counterintuitive to those trying to grow longer hair, but you only need to spend a short amount of time on this forum to see that for many, growing long healthy hair takes a lot of time and effort, possibly the same amount of upkeep needed for maintaining extensions.

candycandace
October 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I wore some for my Senior prom, and I really loved them :). I actually borrowed them from a friend, as strange as that sounds...borrowing hair from your friend. :hmm: Anyway, I think they are great for dances and weddings. :)

Dark40
October 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I love hair extensions! As long as they are properly put in then your hair won't get any damaged. Whether it is sewd in or glued from my experience.

Diamond.Eyes
October 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think wearing hair extensions is any different from wearing makeup. I personally don't wear them, but my sister does. If you can pull it off who cares? No one has the right to judge someone and call them "fake" just because they wear extensions. Telling someone not to wear hair extensions because they are "fake" is the same as telling someone to cut their hair and donate it. Some people *really* need to put more focus on themselves instead of others. :rolleyes:

turquoisedays
October 30th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not into the idea, I'd rather just grow out my real hair than damage the growth underneath and spend hundreds of dollars on them.

battles
October 30th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I personally would never wear them.

I'd rather just grow my own hair and embrace what nature gave me.

joflakes
October 31st, 2011, 02:14 AM
I have considered them, recently. I have also had them in the past - glue ins, and the braided/sewn in type. The glue in ones I never had issues with. The braided in were itchy as hell and LOADS of shedding occurred when they were removed after 6 weeks.

At the moment I feel really bad about my hair and I don't see that a few clip-in extensions can hurt as a temporary fix, as long as I am gentle with them. I'm going to look at some today. However I am really picky as like others on this thread I usually notice them a mile off! I'm not sure how exactly I'm gonna put them in, I just really want some more length at the sides and round my ears to make a mini-bob!

If I manage it I'll post photos and let everyone know.

wtchmel
October 31st, 2011, 02:34 AM
without even looking, my opinion on anything fake(hairwise) is a no. Unless you were hairless because of a disease and needed them or a wig.

andreamuse
October 31st, 2011, 05:44 AM
I wore extensions for about six months. Why? I have fine, thin hair (not super thin, but still qualifies as thin). I had gone through a traumatic experience recently that had thinned my hair out more. My hair was about shoulder length when I started wearing them. The extensions gave me mid back length. Plus, I finally felt what it was like to have hair that was a normal thickness. That's what I was really wearing them for. I was SO tired of people telling me the obvious, that my hair so fine, that I have a tiny ponytail, etc. I wanted to see what it was like to have real hair that wasn't weird and thin and fine.

It was a great experiment. It probably caused SOME damage. My hair tends to be amazingly resilient despite being as fine as it is (I went through SO many perms in the 1980s with minimal damage). Still, I wouldn't do it now that I'm growing my hair out from a pixie and wanting very virgin, undamaged hair to grow out!

I don't know that I would consider it cheating unless you are telling people that it's your real hair. It's unfair to say, "Grow your own hair long." When some people can't, due to texture, genetics, hair loss, etc.

Orangerthanred
October 31st, 2011, 06:14 AM
I don't like hair extensions. It's like wigs- fake.

luxepiggy
October 31st, 2011, 03:32 PM
Totally planning to buy some royal blue & violet clip-in extensions, so I can occasionally sport fun peekaboo strands or a contrast-colour underlayer! I'm pretty excited (^(oo)^)v

tgagurl27
November 1st, 2011, 04:04 AM
I bought clip ins once before. I tried to dye them to my colour and it didn't really work (I bought the wrong colour). Plus I felt weird wearing someone elses hair. My sister's boyfriend was laughing and saying that's probably a homeless, drunk man's hair, he probably fell asleep and someone cut off his hair and sold it to you haha it was kinda funny but it made me think err what if he's right?? So I sold them on to someone else haha

noelgirl
November 1st, 2011, 04:37 AM
I'd feel weird about having them long-term, just always having something attached to me that's not me. However, I did recently get a clip-in bang piece and wore it last night for Halloween - that was fun! I enjoyed having a different look, and then being able to take it out at the end of the night.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9004&pictureid=117648

Yame
November 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Totally planning to buy some royal blue & violet clip-in extensions, so I can occasionally sport fun peekaboo strands or a contrast-colour underlayer! I'm pretty excited (^(oo)^)v

Post pics when you do! I keep wanting to do this and then, well, not doing it! Maybe seeing pictures will inspire me to take the plunge.

mora
November 1st, 2011, 08:52 PM
Post pics when you do! I keep wanting to do this and then, well, not doing it! Maybe seeing pictures will inspire me to take the plunge.

I'm liking the colored extensions posted in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81226) thread although I'm sure I'll also love it when luxepiggy posts one of her always fantastic-looking pics.

Misty'sMess
November 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
You should be happy with the hair you have. There are about 100,000 other things in this world that are more beautiful and natural than fake hair extensions.

Tizzles
November 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM
I used clip in extensions for a while when I was trying to grow my hair out and was impatient. My hair was about shoulder length and I was going through a really awkward hair stage. I go to cosmetology school and you aren't allowed to wear your hair in a ponytail, they apparently think it looks lazy even if you make it cute. So I purchased some clip ins to give my hair a little more length to do some cute stuff to it, and give me a little more volume. I wish I never had. My hair is fine, each strand is very fragile and with the health conditions I had going on at the time I should have known that my hair was just too brittle to use these, but I did anyway.

I had to do a little teasing at the root ( first red flag ), to get them to clip in and hold. After wearing them all day at school, I'd come home and couldn't wait to get them out (second red flag), and when I'd take them out my poor scalp would be so sore (third red flag). After about 3 weeks of repeating this 5 days a week, my hair just gave up and I started noticing a lot of breakage, splits, and ultra thinning spots, that were way worse than before. I freaked, I cried, I prayed, and then I went to see my own hairdresser, who empathized, while she was cutting off every bit of my hair to the top of my neckline (in the back).

Now I am growing it all back out, and taking way better care of my hair and my scalp. For me, these things are the devil and I will never clip them in my hair again, however things may be different for someone else. I would just say, please use caution, these things can and will damage your tresses. If you decide to wear them, I wouldn't wear them often and definitely would not wear them for an extended period of time. I hope you have better luck with them than I did.

Cocoa_Crema
November 2nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
My first thought is, ''It's not real you know''.

Yoanna
November 2nd, 2011, 02:43 AM
I love hair extensions, I use twisted braids as a protective style and it works for me.

Maverick494
November 11th, 2011, 01:55 AM
I don't get the big deal.

Hair extensions to me is like makeup, hair dye, flattering clothes and new heels; they enhance your look (or at least, that's what they're supposed to do). I honestly don't get the negativity. It's fake, so what? Most women are fake in some way or another. Judging people for getting extensions while liking that eyeliner and mascara look seems hypocritical to me.

Sure, people need to know what they're getting into. Getting extensions glued into your hair is going to cause damage. Teasing and backcombing your hair for clip-in ones is going to cause damage. Placing those clip-ins in the exact same spot every day is yup, going to cause damage. Getting a lot of length and massive volume is going to cause problems when you want to wear your hair without them--it'll be noticeable immediately.

Honestly I don't give a damn about the ethical side of things. So what if the hair is taken from a dead person? It's not like they need it anymore. If the quality is good I don't see the harm. The only problem with taking hair from a dead person is that the decomposing process of the body starts pretty quickly, which means the hair gets affected as well. So I doubt it's a popular method.

As for getting hair from poor people; they chose to cut it off and exchange it for money. If no-one would buy it they would have one method less to get some quick money. Sure, it's sad they're in a situation where they have to do such things to get by, but there's little I can do about that aside from donating to charity organisations (which I do plenty) and to be honest donating money is basically a way to soothe your own conscience: the managers of those organisations often make more than $400.000 a year, which is a lot of money that doesn't go to the people that need it.

If you can grow your hair thick and long naturally, of course it is to be preferred. I'm lucky to have natural relatively thick hair between waist and hip length right now. But for those dealing with thin hair, or hair that's gone through a massive shed, or an awkward in-between length, etc. hair extensions (when used with care) can be a good solution. It's only a problem when it's a symptom of underlying psychological issues.

joflakes
November 11th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I don't get the big deal.

Hair extensions to me is like makeup, hair dye, flattering clothes and new heels; they enhance your look (or at least, that's what they're supposed to do). I honestly don't get the negativity. It's fake, so what? Most women are fake in some way or another. Judging people for getting extensions while liking that eyeliner and mascara look seems hypocritical to me.

Sure, people need to know what they're getting into. Getting extensions glued into your hair is going to cause damage. Teasing and backcombing your hair for clip-in ones is going to cause damage. Placing those clip-ins in the exact same spot every day is yup, going to cause damage. Getting a lot of length and massive volume is going to cause problems when you want to wear your hair without them--it'll be noticeable immediately.

Honestly I don't give a damn about the ethical side of things. So what if the hair is taken from a dead person? It's not like they need it anymore. If the quality is good I don't see the harm. The only problem with taking hair from a dead person is that the decomposing process of the body starts pretty quickly, which means the hair gets affected as well. So I doubt it's a popular method.

As for getting hair from poor people; they chose to cut it off and exchange it for money. If no-one would buy it they would have one method less to get some quick money. Sure, it's sad they're in a situation where they have to do such things to get by, but there's little I can do about that aside from donating to charity organisations (which I do plenty) and to be honest donating money is basically a way to soothe your own conscience: the managers of those organisations often make more than $400.000 a year, which is a lot of money that doesn't go to the people that need it.

If you can grow your hair thick and long naturally, of course it is to be preferred. I'm lucky to have natural relatively thick hair between waist and hip length right now. But for those dealing with thin hair, or hair that's gone through a massive shed, or an awkward in-between length, etc. hair extensions (when used with care) can be a good solution. It's only a problem when it's a symptom of underlying psychological issues.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm having micro-rings put in on Wednesday because I am at a horrible growing out stage, I feel like cr*p about myself with my hair as it is, and this will help me regain some confidence whilst my natural hair is growing out.

Maverick494
November 11th, 2011, 03:31 AM
^^I think that should work out pretty well :)

The problem with growing out phases is that people feel their hair looks bad, which makes it tempting to either cut it, heavily style it or some other damaging thing that gets them nowhere near their goal in the long run.

The micro-ring method seems like a good one that doesn't damage your hair plus you don't have the hassle of putting them in every morning like clip-ins. Your hair seems at a length right now where it will take relatively little time to get to a more manageable length (by that I mean +/- 6 months). Since these stay for about 4 that means 4 months of not being frustrated. Well, sounds like a good plan to me! :cool:

My friend's hair went through a massive shed so she's thinking about getting clip-ins or some other kind of non damaging hair extensions to cover up while she grows it out. I have looked around for the best option, but I'm not sure yet.

Will you post pics after you get your hair done? I'm curious to see the result and your experiences with this method.: )

joflakes
November 11th, 2011, 04:07 AM
^^I think that should work out pretty well :)

The problem with growing out phases is that people feel their hair looks bad, which makes it tempting to either cut it, heavily style it or some other damaging thing that gets them nowhere near their goal in the long run.

The micro-ring method seems like a good one that doesn't damage your hair plus you don't have the hassle of putting them in every morning like clip-ins. Your hair seems at a length right now where it will take relatively little time to get to a more manageable length (by that I mean +/- 6 months). Since these stay for about 4 that means 4 months of not being frustrated. Well, sounds like a good plan to me! :cool:

My friend's hair went through a massive shed so she's thinking about getting clip-ins or some other kind of non damaging hair extensions to cover up while she grows it out. I have looked around for the best option, but I'm not sure yet.

Will you post pics after you get your hair done? I'm curious to see the result and your experiences with this method.: )

Exactly. I am notoriously bad for cutting my hair when it gets to awkward phases like this. It shouldn't be too bad, I think most damage arises when people don't look after them properly, don't braid them before they sleep etc. My plan was indeed to leave them in for about 6 months and then take them out and see where my natural hair is! Although I may or may not have bangs cut in, not sure yet.

I'll definitely post pictures, yep. I've been asked by quite a few people so I'll post a new thread! Before and after :)

Dark40
February 12th, 2018, 05:38 PM
I love wearing extensions! You just have to know how to apply them as sew-ins or glued in. I've had sewed-in extensions applied to my thick shoulder-length hair, and it didn't break off or damage my hair at all. I wore them for only 3 months. In fact, my hair grew out faster with the extensions in rather than my own hair. Now, it is true that I prefer to just let my own natural hair grow out but I get really impatient with waiting to have longer hair. So, that's why at times I rather have the extensions.

Hexen
February 12th, 2018, 10:26 PM
Ive got nothing against the concept. They're just another cosmetic accessory. No big deal.

That is until you almost step on one in your local 7-Eleven, like its a dead garter or ring necked serpent...:disgust:

https://image.ibb.co/eVKEqn/exten.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Beeboo123
February 12th, 2018, 11:13 PM
I don’t like them, I would rather grow out my own hair. I think it’s trashy if one goes around telling others that their extensions are their own hair (yeah, they paid for them, but that doesn’t make it THEIR hair). Most times, people don’t get their extensions blended in, or take care of their extensions properly and replace them as needed, it usually looks bad. But as long as it isn’t on my head, I don’t really care

Sarahlabyrinth
February 12th, 2018, 11:21 PM
I don't know if you would call this extensions, it's a hairpiece anyway, I made it from my own shed hair. I hardly ever wear it but when I do, of course it is the perfect match to my own hair - and I can truthfully say that it's all my own hair :)

https://i.imgur.com/t9KpxEg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8svlpF0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QgBVmLt.jpg

Beeboo123
February 12th, 2018, 11:29 PM
I don't know if you would call this extensions, it's a hairpiece anyway, I made it from my own shed hair. I hardly ever wear it but when I do, of course it is the perfect match to my own hair - and I can truthfully say that it's all my own hair :)

WOW that’s really cool, how did you make it? Did it take a long time?

Hexen
February 12th, 2018, 11:41 PM

That....is......priceless!
A contemporary weaving of magick. :bowtome:

littlestarface
February 12th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Ive got nothing against the concept. They're just another cosmetic accessory. No big deal.

That is until you almost step on one in your local 7-Eleven, like its a dead garter or ring necked serpent...:disgust:

Wheres a vomit smilie when you need one *pukes*

Glitch
February 13th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Hey everyone, I read a few pages of this thread and didn't see a mention of damage-free options so far. Well, I found some that won't damage the hair, unlike clip ins or sew ins potentially can. They're called Hidden Crown Extensions. Here's a video that explains them (skip to 3:40 to see it in action): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HST-tv6fck

Let me know if any of you have tried these before. They're on the pricey side so I have to be sure haha. I used to wear clip ins around 2011, and they were very real, natural, and transformed my hair. However, having hair on the finer side, they would often leave me with a sore scalp due to the tugging and so I eventually quit :(

Beckstar
February 13th, 2018, 01:44 AM
I would wear them if I could find them in salt and pepper.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2018, 02:12 AM
WOW that’s really cool, how did you make it? Did it take a long time?

It did take a while, 9 months of daily collecting and sorting of my shed hairs. It turned out nicely though.

Hexen
February 13th, 2018, 02:34 AM
No ****in prob man....

be well all... :)

Hexen
February 13th, 2018, 02:37 AM
;) oh well

Soulina
February 13th, 2018, 04:18 AM
I have no problem with others wearing them. But for me the idea of someones hair on my head feels disgusting. I grow my hair for spiritual reasons, hair is very personal thing to me. It is part of me like my arm or my leg. To me its part of who I am, and other peoples hair is part of who they are. I know this is not the case for most people so if you like hair extensions go for it, just as long as you do not force me to wear them :)

Idea of extension made of your own shed hairs seems interesting and something I might consider.

chomsky
February 13th, 2018, 05:59 AM
sarahlabyrinth, your creativity and innovation never cease to amaze! Such a great idea.

I don't mind extensions, it's their money! I've always wanted to try some, either clipins or a weave, but I need to wash my scalp too often. When they're not done well (it's when they're two different colours that gets me) I do raise a brow, though.

Hairkay
February 13th, 2018, 06:10 AM
I'm in agreement that extensions worn occasionally are okay and fun for some but when it's used continuously there can be some harm to the hair, scalp and personal image. If you get so accustomed to having extensions in that you no longer know how to deal with your real hair then that is a problem. Personally I don't use them due to health reasons and it not being my thing. I'm the same way with make-up. I keep everything natural. I realise that if I should ever have an illness that causes hair loss then I'd have to adapt to being bald or get used to wearing scarfs because my skin can't cope with wigs or extensions.

The first extensions I was familiar with as a child was braided in ones. I'd seen family or family friends use it on one or two occasions. I even did my niece's hair in them when she was 12. That's how I know I can't cope with them. My hands ended up with swollen bumps. I did it because her mother liked that sort of thing. My niece had beautiful thick fluffy tightly curled hair but it was stuck at shoulder length with a lot of shrinkage. She longed for the long look. I kind of regret pandering to my sister's wishes then because this niece now feels ashamed wearing her own natural hair without any extensions. I haven't seen her natural hair in years.

Oh and I have seen women in braided extensions where you can clearly see that the braids are pulling the hair out. One women was walking around with a halo of braids holding on by one strand each soon to end up on the floor. The hair style would have looked great if that was not happening. She appeared to have very fine hair and the braids were too heavy and tight.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 13th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I don't like the idea of wearing other people's hair in my hair (besides, how would I get a colour match and the correct length?), plus am not keen on the ethical issues behind the industry. I don't see a problem with wearing my own, though.

nycelle
February 13th, 2018, 02:33 PM
To each their own. As long as it's not really hurting anyone, I'm fine with it.

And if extensions help a woman with her self-esteem, then I'm all for it.

jera
February 13th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I'm okay with it for short spells. I had to wear extensions due to a shed several years ago and it helped me get through that time without having to resort to a major chop.

AutobotsAttack
February 13th, 2018, 07:00 PM
If you know what you’re doing, and take precautions and care for your hair I see no problem with it.

*Wednesday*
February 13th, 2018, 07:25 PM

Lol 😁 that was funny.

AutobotsAttack
February 13th, 2018, 07:37 PM

Ohhhh dude I can’t tell you how many times I see full weave tracks and giant tufts of extensions just rolling around along the side of the road throughout my neighborhood and surrounding service roads. They’re everyyyyyyywhere. Everywhere. And I always wonder who was fighting who lol.

cathair
February 13th, 2018, 07:41 PM
I would wear them if I could find them in salt and pepper.

I once had some put in professionally in salt, pepper and blue. It's quite easy to make them in salt and pepper if you blend a few colours.

Wouldn't do it again though. Massively, massively expensive. Even though my hair is not stick straight or silky smooth, they still need tightening every 3 weeks to look okay. Which would be damaging over time. Apart from needing to win the lottery to afford the maintenance.

misspriss
February 14th, 2018, 07:10 AM
I recently wore a set of tape ins, bought off Amazon and had DH put them in so not so expensive. They were nice, gave me TONS of volume and looked really good, very little blending was needed.

I wanted silver balayage, my hair is way too dark and I don't want to risk it to pull it off.

Also I'd just had a major post-partum shed and lost about half the volume in my waist length hair.

The extensions did no noticeable damage, I did lose a lot of hair removing them but you have to remember all the hair that shed between the tapes just hung out there until it was removed. I will never do it again though. I did not like not being able to sleep with wet hair (I wash my hair at night) or brush my scalp with a BBB, or brush/scratch//scrub my scalp at all. My hair was really heavy and took way too long to dry.

I saved the tapes, I am going to sew a halo extension (like a previous poster posted) and possibly a ponytail/bun booster, once I get this dang tape off them. That way there is no damage, I can still play with the color, but take it off to brush and wash my hair!

Beckstar
February 14th, 2018, 08:20 AM
I once had some put in professionally in salt, pepper and blue. It's quite easy to make them in salt and pepper if you blend a few colours.

Wouldn't do it again though. Massively, massively expensive. Even though my hair is not stick straight or silky smooth, they still need tightening every 3 weeks to look okay. Which would be damaging over time. Apart from needing to win the lottery to afford the maintenance.

I would wear clip-ins if I could find the right color. I'm ash brown and more than 50% silver. I've worn them in the past without damage.

Dark40
November 16th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I totally agree with AutobotsAttack. If you know what you're doing, take precautions and care for your hair I see no problem either, and if you get it sewed in you just make you go to a salon or a stylist that knows what they are doing to do it correctly, and you won't have any damage or breakage. I remember when I first started wearing sewed in extensions I had no problems or issues with damage or breakage. I had worn the extensions for 3 months. Because, I had damaged hair from a chemical process, and I also had a pixie hair style. But within that 3 month period while wearing the extensions my hair had grown 2 or 3 inches!!! I went from 4 inches of hair on my head to 6 or 7 inches of hair!!! I had hair to my ears, and within the 3 month period I ended up with SL or shoulder length hair! Because, that was from taking good care of my own hair, and the extensions themselves.

leayellena
November 17th, 2018, 01:30 AM
extensions not only damage your hair but it causes hair loss (bald patches a la christina aguilera come in my mind right now).
hair grows generally half inch per month. you can join the no trim challenges on lhc.
if you have hair loss check out the hairloss support thread. they will generally tell u to go to a doctor.
for hair breakage and lack of length retention condition more and wearit in protective styles. also check out the giving up the dye and the bleach thread for some inspiration. hair can grow even though it's damaged right now. if u take care of it and eventually trim/microtrim the damage.
PS: extensions are not ethical. shaving poor girls's hair for plain lazy bored stupid girls out there who can't focus on anything else than their hair every 2 minutes! just. no!

leayellena
November 17th, 2018, 01:35 AM

oh exactly! I gave up coloring my nails mainly because it took too much time. I mean not even reading a book because "the manicure could be destroyed". I use a protective coat because my nails are fine (being borm with fine bone structure in general) and I'd hate having chipped nails in my hair scratching my scalp, in my food, clothes etc.)

Stray_mind
November 17th, 2018, 01:37 AM
I am not fond of anything Unnatural, like fake nails, eyelashes and/or hair, so i'll pass on getting hair extensions. To each their own though. :)

sophia_
November 17th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Extensions, as long as they're done properly, can be great for people who want to try long hair/thick hair (thin hair is beautiful and yes everyone should learn to love the way they were born but sometimes it's fun to try something different). However, it would feel super weird to me to be wearing (in the case of human hair) someone else's hair- in this way it's not comparable to fake nails because all fake nails are synthetic- you're not wearing someone else's nails!shudder: But if someone else is comfortable with it it's up to them, lol.

cjk
November 17th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I'm considering some, myself. But as a paranda.

Now that my hair is long enough to wear in braids, easily, my desire to play is increasing. And some contrasting tones might be in my future.

EdG
November 18th, 2018, 09:05 AM
As a time traveler, I am perplexed by the need for hair extensions. :rollin:
Ed

nitagurl
November 18th, 2018, 10:25 AM
The concept of fake hair is really weird to me - kind of like stuffing your bra or wearing color contacts everyday. Just odd. My mom calls fake hair a “hat” so maybe that’s why I’ve always cringed at the whole concept.

Dark40
November 18th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I'm considering some, myself. But as a paranda.

Now that my hair is long enough to wear in braids, easily, my desire to play is increasing. And some contrasting tones might be in my future.

Oh, I'm also thinking about getting some soon as well. They are so fun to play with! I really love them! :D How long are you going to get yours? And, how are you going to get it done?

Ylva
November 18th, 2018, 08:46 PM
For me personally all things "fake", like attaching other people's hair (or fake hair) to your head, is just weird altogether. I would never bother with it, I'm just not someone who fusses about such artificial extensions of one's body to look a certain way. It's hard to explain, but I just can't bother. I guess that's the best way to express it. The only time I'd do it myself would probably be if I was cosplaying a character or something and I really needed it, but in that case it would probably be a wig. However I don't really care if someone else does it, as long as they don't go around claiming that they aren't wearing hair extensions or fake nails when they actually are.

I do, however, approve of attaching other people's hair to yourself if it's some kind of cultural practise, though. I remember some tribal dude (yes, a tribal dude :cool: No racism or any such thing intended, it's 5:44 AM) on Madventures who was wearing the hair of a woman he'd killed. Naturally I don't condone murder, but in that case it's not equally weird to me. :lol:

cjk
November 18th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Oh, I'm also thinking about getting some soon as well. They are so fun to play with! I really love them! :D How long are you going to get yours? And, how are you going to get it done?

I don't know yet. I'd prefer them to be a color infusion, rather than false length. My goal is enhancement, not what most would think of as "extensions."

And get it done? I do my own braids. Playing will be the fun part!

I think I'll start with some black extensions. They'll contrast against my natural color nicely, and are commonly available.

Then if I like the effect, I'll pick up some other colors too. Thinking magenta and cyan, to start.

illicitlizard
November 18th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Mixed feelings on this. Obviously I don't care how someone chooses to enhance their appearance. I love all sorts of 'fake' things because they're fun.

My main bugbears are the cost, the maintenance, the possible complications (to hair and scalp health) and the ethical sourcing of the hair. All in all they're not for me, but I think they look great on some people, and lots of people find confidence in them so why the heck not!

Also I love the idea of making one's own extensions with shed hair, that's just super cool.

Dark40
November 19th, 2018, 05:02 PM
illicilizard, yes you are very right that they are very costly. Some extensions service you can get at a reasonable price! When i got extensions installed in 21 years ago the hairdresser that did them for me charge me $250 for a half sew in service, and with that type of service I only got half of my head sewed in extensions. But I think they look at the length and quality of hair as well. That's how they charge you. But recently, I've done some checking around at beauty schools like this beauty I started to go to get my cosmetology license at...I saw where they charge a hell of a lot cheaper than what an actual salon that specializes in extensions would charge you! This beauty school said that they charge $30 per braid that put in, and $10 to do the whole service. So, I got it all figured out that I'm planning on letting them do another half sew in extensions service, and I'm planning on letting them put in 5 tracks of braids in my hair, and that will cost me a total of $150 for the whole service. So, I figured that's not a bad deal at all! Comparing to what I paid 21 years ago!

blackgothicdoll
November 19th, 2018, 05:30 PM
I think it depends on so many factors. They accentuate and work as an accessory, but can just as easily become a crutch or a mask. I feel the same way about make-up and fake nails, push up bras with extra stuffing, waist trainers, the list goes on.

I would never insult someone for wanting to be/feel beautiful, in a world where beauty is so important, it's easy to feel unworthy if you don't fit that standard. So I understand wearing extensions, makeup, nails or whatever it takes to feel more beautiful. It's far more complicated than 'faking it', as beauty becomes a part of self esteem and happiness. I do think that when one is not alright with the person on the other side of the mask, it's time to stop. That's why I stopped getting extensions - I obviously already hated myself, but hiding behind other things only made it easier to do. I told myself that I could go back to wearing extensions and make up when I got to the point that I looked at my reflection and did not feel hideous. I think I went 6 months with only eyeliner and mascara, lipstick or lipgloss on occasion, and wearing my natural hair. Far less men were attracted to me than when I wore make-up and weaves, but when men were attracted to me I felt so comfortable and less afraid to be myself. I felt so happy, because all of me was real and all of me would look exactly as it did when they met me - no surprises.

So fast forward, while I considered getting weaves or braids to help grow out my hair, I haven't since really wanted to. They're not at all economical and I can look like myself for free. I do wear eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick, but no foundation. I don't think those are always masks, I think YouTube has changed the meaning of 'casual make-up'.

Anyyyyy how, that's just my very personal and specific story. Not everyone has a complex like me. As a tl;dr, extensions are fun to change up a look, even can make protective stlyles (braids, full sew-ins). It's not inherently wrong, as long as it's not a necessity to be happy.

An old friend of mine once said:

U
G otta
L ove
Y ourself

and that's stuck with me for a long time.

Capybara
November 19th, 2018, 06:03 PM
To be perfectly honest I actually considered purchasing a set of clip in extensions when I chopped my hair off to chin 3 years ago. I liked the haircut, but I wanted to be able to do braids and such. Ultimately I decided I should focus on enjoying my hair how it was. There are a lot of fun things you can do with short hair, and I wanted to focus on living more in the moment rather than wishing for something else.

Oliviya
January 14th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Has anybody tried the clip-in hair extensions?

Once, I had long and beautiful hair. But unfortunately I had to chop it off for some reason. Seriously living with short hair is quite difficult, lol. So, I decided to go for clip-in hair extension. I haven't tried them before, please help me by sharing your experience with clip-in extension.

Thanks

SatrianiRules
January 14th, 2020, 11:42 AM
I know that others have mentioned the potential snapping and shedding of hair but for me, I cannot wear extentions for another damage related reason. In order to wear them I would need to straighten my hair (otherwise it would look ridiculous lol).

Untressed
January 16th, 2020, 03:27 PM
The only hair extensions I can wear are halo type extensions. I use one for volume not length. It doesn't appear to damage your hair and helps me with confidence since I suffered a major shed.

demonamay
March 30th, 2020, 08:53 PM
Clip in extensions are horrible for your hair. I worn them for three years and suffered extensive breakage and no length retention for the years I wore them. I also bleached my hair regularly and heat styled my hair. So my hair was the worst it has ever been during that time. The clips pull on and break your hair because they are rather heavy & obtrusive. I don’t know any girl who wears them and has naturally long hair it just impedes the growth and health process. Proceed with caution.

hennalonghair
March 30th, 2020, 09:33 PM
Not for me. I prefer REAL. Real hair, real nails, real boobs, real eyelashes etc.,
I don’t particularly care what others do. To each their own.

Dark40
February 12th, 2021, 07:51 PM
Hey, I've been looking through my extensions stash and this year I've decided to put in some extensions. I don't have them in yet but I have the hair. I have a whole small box full of hair extensions and wigs. Between yesterday and today I've dyed and washed some extensions getting them prepared to glue into my hair very soon. I've always loved the idea of extensions while you're letting your own hair grow out! You just have to learn and know how to apply them properly and take good care of them the right way. I can't wait until I reach my long term goal length. So, I'm going to be wearing extensions until that happens.

JasminxCat
February 13th, 2021, 01:43 AM
I've considered wearing sowed in extensions when my hair was APL and shorter, lots of times. But never could afford it at the time. I don't see anything wrong with it. I know there's some damage involved but that can be trimmed later. If it makes you feel better, fake it til you make it

Bat
February 13th, 2021, 01:45 AM
I liked extentions just not the price!

Feral_
February 13th, 2021, 03:15 AM
Not for me. I prefer REAL. Real hair, real nails, real boobs, real eyelashes etc.,

Exactly this for me too. Anything else is fake.

GordonMurphella
February 13th, 2021, 04:29 AM

Raises hand

GordonMurphella
February 13th, 2021, 04:30 AM
Hey, I've been looking through my extensions stash and this year I've decided to put in some extensions. I don't have them in yet but I have the hair. I have a whole small box full of hair extensions and wigs. Between yesterday and today I've dyed and washed some extensions getting them prepared to glue into my hair very soon. I've always loved the idea of extensions while you're letting your own hair grow out! You just have to learn and know how to apply them properly and take good care of them the right way. I can't wait until I reach my long term goal length. So, I'm going to be wearing extensions until that happens.

You GLUE them in? Yikes. I can't see how that will help with anything but more damage. But you do you.

Sammich
February 13th, 2021, 07:14 AM
I used to wear weave extensions and also used to have the glued in ones as well. The weave was better for growing but it was still very tight and painful and could cause problems for growth I think, but the glue ones were awful. Chunks of hair fell out and ripped out... both were uncomfortable to sleep in and were painful for a few weeks.

id say the safest extensions are the clip on ones.

Dark40
February 13th, 2021, 04:27 PM
You GLUE them in? Yikes. I can't see how that will help with anything but more damage. But you do you.

YES! I have done my research on to apply them with the glue safely. It won't damage it if they are applied properly. Some people don't apply them with the glue properly, and remove them properly with care. I think it will help in a lot of ways, and I can wear my hair in a protective style. I had a friend use the glue without any problems, and I've done my research on google on how long you are suppose to wear them in your hair(which is 6-8 weeks) 2 months, and that's how often I was planning on wearing them anyways. Within that period of time the bonds will loosen up on their own, and if they're not loosen up enough you can loosen them up further with bonding remover, any type of oil, or rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip or a cotton ball. I've always known about the bond remover and the oils loosening them up by my experiences I had with them 6 years ago. But I'll do what I do.

Dark40
February 13th, 2021, 04:28 PM
Yeah, clip on extensions are the safest way to go but I always like for something to last a little longer.

FaeBroom
February 13th, 2021, 05:23 PM

Yerp. Also seconding this. I dabbled in clip in extensions and fake nails in high school but I just want to rip off anything fake soon after I apply it, it bugs me to no end. I can't imagine having fillers or silicone permanently in my body, bleh. But to each their own.

Nowadays I don't feel the need to fill the long hair void with extensions, I don't think it's worth the potential damage when I could grow without it. Plus I remember the clip ins really hurt my scalp after a day of wearing them. And isn't the human hair industry very unethical? I haven't done a lot of research about it but I've heard bad things from videos and such.

akurah
February 13th, 2021, 05:26 PM
Yeah, clip on extensions are the safest way to go but I always like for something to last a little longer.

This actually surprises me, despite having no evidence to back up which is safer either way. I always figured the clips would cause more traction damage than glue (unless something occurred what caused the glued in extensions to get ripped out) because the glued in hair would be, well, staying put (at least until a solvent was applied for removal), and the clipped in hair, the clips might move around.

Dark40
February 13th, 2021, 05:54 PM
This actually surprises me, despite having no evidence to back up which is safer either way. I always figured the clips would cause more traction damage than glue (unless something occurred what caused the glued in extensions to get ripped out) because the glued in hair would be, well, staying put (at least until a solvent was applied for removal), and the clipped in hair, the clips might move around.

Well, I was just agreeing or going by what someone said in an earlier post. I'm not sure about if clips would cause more traction damage than the glue. Now, I'm thinking that they would too. Yes, with the glue if you want to remove them you would definitely need the bonding remover, oil, or rubbing alcohol. Those kind of liquids removes them very easily I've read on google. I have that kind of information to back me up on.

lapushka
February 13th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Why does the glue thing remind me of that woman who applied Gorilla glue to her hair, to slick it back, because she was out of hairspray. :shocked:

Update on that: a plastic surgeon actually gave her a soft sedation and got it out (for free). It took that much to get it out!

akurah
February 13th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Well, I was just agreeing or going by what someone said in an earlier post. I'm not sure about if clips would cause more traction damage than the glue. Now, I'm thinking that they would too. Yes, with the glue if you want to remove them you would definitely need the bonding remover, oil, or rubbing alcohol. Those kind of liquids removes them very easily I've read on google. I have that kind of information to back me up on.

Not gonna lie now I'm tempted to google "which causes more damage, clip in or glue extensions". When I really truly actually need to be studying.

Why does the glue thing remind me of that woman who applied Gorilla glue to her hair, to slick it back, because she was out of hairspray. :shocked:

Update on that: a plastic surgeon actually gave her a soft sedation and got it out (for free). It took that much to get it out!

Omg I saw that. I was horrified for her. Also more than a bit surprised she didn't know better, but like.. wow. It sounded painful.

Dark40
February 13th, 2021, 09:24 PM
I was not talking about using Gorilla Glue to glue in hair extensions. I am talking about hair bonding glue that is made for hair extensions. Yeah, I really feel sorry for the girl that applied Gorilla Glue to her hair as hairspray too.

JasminxCat
February 14th, 2021, 01:30 AM

I saw this too! 👀
Crazy, I felt bad but at the same time a bit amused. She tried to wash it off with soap in the video but it stayed shiny and solid. I was thinking how it would even be possible for her to grow it out with gorilla glue possibly blocking new growth. It's good she was able to get it removed :D

BuddhaBelle
February 14th, 2021, 01:54 AM
I saw this too! 👀
Crazy, I felt bad but at the same time a bit amused. She tried to wash it off with soap in the video but it stayed shiny and solid. I was thinking how it would even be possible for her to grow it out with gorilla glue possibly blocking new growth. It's good she was able to get it removed :D

I just looked that up and it’s the funniest thing, but why has it got so much attention?! Celebrity hair stylists offering her free wigs? Wow

JasminxCat
February 14th, 2021, 02:34 AM
I just looked that up and it’s the funniest thing, but why has it got so much attention?! Celebrity hair stylists offering her free wigs? Wow

I didn't know, must have gone viral overnight. I thought I was the only one who seen it. I guess it was a total wtf to social media that it caught so much attention cause who puts gorilla glue in hair and expects it to come out ;)

GordonMurphella
February 14th, 2021, 03:40 AM
I'm desperately trying not to beat a dead horse, but it pains me that you are going to do this to your hair. Bond remover, rubbing alcohol ... I can feel my hair melting just reading this. And if I may suggest going off something other than Google, because ... well, I'm a french model (if anyone but me recalls that American tv advert).

As you were. I think it's time for me to back out of this discussion.

akurah
February 14th, 2021, 12:00 PM
I'm desperately trying not to beat a dead horse, but it pains me that you are going to do this to your hair. Bond remover, rubbing alcohol ... I can feel my hair melting just reading this. And if I may suggest going off something other than Google, because ... well, I'm a french model (if anyone but me recalls that American tv advert).

As you were. I think it's time for me to back out of this discussion.

1. What are you talking about? if it's Dark40, if she wants to use extensions, that's her business.
2. Are you always that rude (see bolded).

lapushka
February 14th, 2021, 12:38 PM
Oh gosh, talk about things that could "potentially" bring about damage. I dyed my hair, bleached my hair, permed my hair. I still have hair. Conclusion? Nothing that won't grow back out if it *is* in fact damaged. But I'm sure Dark knows what she's doing, and has weighed her options well. :)

And Dark, well *of course* I know you're not going to use Gorilla glue. LOL! Well... let's hope not, right? ;) :p

Dark40
February 14th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Oh gosh, talk about things that could "potentially" bring about damage. I dyed my hair, bleached my hair, permed my hair. I still have hair. Conclusion? Nothing that won't grow back out if it *is* in fact damaged. But I'm sure Dark knows what she's doing, and has weighed her options well. :)

And Dark, well *of course* I know you're not going to use Gorilla glue. LOL! Well... let's hope not, right? ;) :p

Oh gosh, yes I know what you mean about doing things the could "potentially" bring about damage. I've dyed and bleached my hair too. Yes, I also still have hair too, conclusion? Yes, I know exactly what I'm doing. I've been doing it off and on for many years now.

Oh no of course I'm not going to be using Gorilla glue. LOL!...No, I'm not that crazy! ;) :p All I'm going to be using is SalonPro bonding glue, and the extensions are going to be glued in for at least 2 months, and after that 2-month period I'll be ready to remove them with the SalonPro Bonding Remover, and that product is really good for bond removing! It get it out very easily! It helps the wefts and weave to slide away from your own hair very easily without any damage.

Dark40
February 14th, 2021, 02:07 PM
1. What are you talking about? if it's Dark40, if she wants to use extensions, that's her business.

I thank you so much for getting into this discussion at this point! That is a good question. What is she talking about? If I want to use extensions, it is my business, and it's up to me. It is a wonder if she's always that rude?!

akurah
February 14th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Dark40 to circle back to the glue vs clip ins--I finally googled it, I'm 100% WRONG :cheese: You are right, clip ins are least damaging, apparently something called tape is next least damaging, then something that is called micro rings.

Dark40
February 14th, 2021, 08:31 PM
akurah Ok, I thought that I was right about clip ins being less damaging then glue or tape. I'm so glad you googled it! And, what I like about the clip ins is that you can put this in and take them out whenever you'd like, and they don't pull on the hair. :D :p

MadelineMomo
February 20th, 2021, 04:17 PM
In my senior year of high school (I had been growing my hair out for 2 or 3 years by then) there was a girl in my class who sometimes wore extensions. In my petty high school mind, I always felt like she was "cheating."

JasminxCat
February 20th, 2021, 04:20 PM
I'm curious to know if most long hair I see in real life (waist and longer) is real or fake. Sometimes it just looks too pretty and healthy to be real

lakhesis
February 20th, 2021, 05:04 PM
I had tape ins and I had micro rings. And they were fun and if someone considers getting them, why not. Bleach definitely destroyed my hair a lot more than this.

I first got them in high school, my hair was around waist length and the micro ring extensions were to my hip. Funny how it felt super long back then and now, at natural classic it feels short :D I kept them for more than a year. Then I got tape ins while at uni, but I had those only for around half a year. Those use glue - you glue a top part of the extensions, put your hair in the middle and then glue the bottom part of the extensions. For removal you can use a special solution or even a coconut oil will work. I would argue micro rings are bit better for your hair, but less seamless.

I don't think they really help while you are on a "long hair journey", as you need to get your ends layered before getting them installed. Or well, you don't have to, but it will be obvious where your natural hair ends and the extensions begin.

I didn't really like the "fake" association with it, if anyone asked, it was real hair and I paid for it, so it was mine :pinktongue:

0xalis
February 20th, 2021, 07:50 PM
For me: Too much work, I'll stick to wigs lol (The glueless kind, of course, glue's too much work too!)

Bat
February 21st, 2021, 07:31 AM
Not gonna lie now I'm tempted to google "which causes more damage, clip in or glue extensions". When I really truly actually need to be studying.

Omg I saw that. I was horrified for her. Also more than a bit surprised she didn't know better, but like.. wow. It sounded painful.
I don't think she knew it was glue from what I read she somehow grabbed the wrong can and just didn't look before going to town with it, how awful for the poor girl though!

ZoeZ
February 21st, 2021, 07:42 AM

I didn't find her rude, she merely gave her opinion as requested. No point in doing that if anyone who disagrees is quantified as rude.

Sammich
February 21st, 2021, 08:15 AM
I didn't find her rude, she merely gave her opinion as requested. No point in doing that if anyone who disagrees is quantified as rude.

I agree. I think she was just giving her opinion and wanting the best for darks hair. She couldn’t have disagreed in a more polite way.

I think darks decision is her own so she can do whatever she wants with her hair! I’m sure she knows what she’s doing but some people do worry about other peoples choices.

Dark40
February 21st, 2021, 06:40 PM
Sammich, thank you for saying that in your last post. Yes, it is my decision, and I've been knowing what I've doing for many years how to apply extensions, and I've never had any issues with damage. If you use them properly in the right way you shouldn't have any problems when it's time to remove them, and they last a good 2 months. Or, depending on how often you wash your hair.

ZoeZ
February 22nd, 2021, 02:47 AM
Sammich, thank you for saying that in your last post. Yes, it is my decision, and I've been knowing what I've doing for many years how to apply extensions, and I've never had any issues with damage. If you use them properly in the right way you shouldn't have any problems when it's time to remove them, and they last a good 2 months. Or, depending on how often you wash your hair.

You will be a good source of information on extensions if I ever decide to do that :)

Dark40
February 23rd, 2021, 08:31 AM
You will be a good source of information on extensions if I ever decide to do that :)

Ahhhhh, that you for saying that :)
Sure, I can give you some information on extensions.

Liliann
February 23rd, 2021, 11:32 AM
I have been thinking about using clip in extensions in grey/silver, so that I can let the colour grow out without it looking to ugly. I like using synthetic strand extensions for paranda braids or other colourful hair accessories.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2021, 12:02 PM
I have been thinking about using clip in extensions in grey/silver, so that I can let the colour grow out without it looking to ugly. I like using synthetic strand extensions for paranda braids or other colourful hair accessories.

Take a look at the channel "MrKongsMom". Melanie (the owner) has a full head of gray hair. She is in her early 40s. If you go to her older videos you see she used to dye it a light blonde. She actually had her hair dresser turn it gradually gray; they can do that. But I understand in these times with Covid it is challenging, often, to get to a salon (if they are even open in your country, I don't know where you are).

tekla
February 23rd, 2021, 12:06 PM

Same thoughts here. I would be nice to try extensions to see how longer hair would look but anything "extra" on the body makes me feel uncomfortable. It's more than what is fake or natural, I simply don't like the physical feeling of it. I don't even like to wear skin make up because it feels heavy. I know it's mostly in my head but still.

That being said, I've seen many beautiful and authentic looking extensions. They are a lot work though but can look very pretty when done and maintained right.

CalystaStarr
February 27th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I love them but they're a problem for me- I expect my hair to look as thick and gorgeous when my hair reaches the same length but it never does. So I get disappointed with my own hair. Better to just keep my own hair.

lapushka
February 27th, 2021, 11:26 AM
I love them but they're a problem for me- I expect my hair to look as thick and gorgeous when my hair reaches the same length but it never does. So I get disappointed with my own hair. Better to just keep my own hair.

I love that attitude! :D

GoddesJourney
February 28th, 2021, 10:06 PM

This is my personal issue with make up, push up bras and high rise leggings. Aside from the general discomfort, you quickly grow accustomed to the enhanced self image (or at least i do). Then when you are not, cinched, pushed up, matte concealed and highlighted, you might notice your normal self is somewhat lacking by comparison. If you just never get used to the enhanced self image, you're already used to what you actually look like.

I've also noticed that I take better care of myself without these things. I'm more likely to take care of my skin or watch my waistline if I am able to see it how it actually is.

That said, I also have nothing against whatever makes people happy for themselves. It may sound like a lot of maintenance for me, but you could argue that I'm just lazy. Haha. If you want extensions, try them out if you can afford it. Same goes for buying tattoos, boobs, hair dye, high heels bronzer, hair spray, fake eyelashes, or cross dress, whatever. Far be it for me to tell you what makes you happy or for you make yourself a certain way so that I can be more comfortable with your appearance if I think it looks awful. And I might. That's fine too.

And that said, I'm sure I've seen many people with extensions and had no idea because they blended in well. Those people probably loved their extensions.

ArtOfNoot
February 28th, 2021, 11:45 PM
I asked my hairdresser a few years back what service is her favorite, she said extensions and sew-ins. She then said that she could completely transform her client's perception of their hair and boost their confidence. Many of the people who get extensions and hair add-ons either are affected by hair loss or are unhappy with thin/sparse hair.
I personally don't have any strong opinions on hair extensions, but I know many people rely on them to feel beautiful.