PDA

View Full Version : Sock bun curls dried out

LisaB234
September 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I tried sock bun curls for the first time - no pictures because I had a problem. . . I misted my hair with water, rolled, slept and unrolled to find some nice curls but super dry ends. Not sure why this happened. Any ideas? I love braid waves, but am having problems getting waves all the way down. . . Thought suck bun curls would be a great solution, but ended up wetting and conditioning instead.

Any ideas what happened? Any ideas how to fix? Since my hair is reluctant to hold curl I don't think oiling first would be good. Any other great ways to get body and wave or curl, especially later in the week as I stretch washes?

tinkerbellisme
September 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I had the same issue the first time I tried sock bunning. I would recommend going ahead and trying some oil (at least on the ends). Maybe try it one night that you don't have to go somewhere the next day just in case the curl doesn't hold.

Personally, my hair holds the curls better if I oil before rolling. I have natural curl but I prefer the big, soft curl pattern (plus I don't have to gunk up my hair with mousse).

One other suggestion I have is to try rolling your sock in something smooth first. I made my sock bun with one of my hubby's socks, but then I cut the toe off of an old knee high and rolled my sock bun in that. I think the sock itself sucks some of the moisture out of my hair just because of the cotton material.

LisaB234
September 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thank you, Tinkerbell! I, too, stole my husbands sock - I will wrap it in a knee high and try with some oil - I liked the way the curls looked, so I'm hopeful!

Nicci4
September 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
how does one do this?

tinkerbellisme
September 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
No problem LisaB. Hope it works for ya cuz those sock bun curls are gorgeous!

Nicci4: How does one do what? Sock bun curls? Here's a great video that explains how the sock bun works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y

Roscata
September 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I'm not really sure why the dry ends happen but in my case whenever I wrap my hair or try to curl it with sponge rollers or pin curls etc my ends always looks dry and frizzy, so what I do is mist my length with De-frizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277), then after I'm done no-heat styling it I spray some more of it on the ends, sometimes for good measure I spray some Suave Kids Detangling Spray Double Dutch Apple for extra shine. :D

Buffy
September 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I've been wanting to try this for some time now, but i recently cut my hair, up to my armpits, so i'm concerned it might turn up a big all over the place mess. I will though. Maybe the sock being cotton absorbs some moisture, i can't think of any other reason why. Try to oil your hair or use a leave-in conditioner on your ends!

Sissilonghair
September 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM
You should try with a squirt of aloe vera gel and a couple of drops of coconut oil mixed into the palm of your hands and applied to your hair before putting the sock on...or flax seed gel With jojoba oil.