PDA

View Full Version : Oily Hair Trouble

AuburnTresses
September 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

I struggle with oily hair. 2 days after I wash it is really oily. I've washed 2 times a week for years, but recently have gone to 3 times a week.
I've tried oily shampoos, WO for a month, baking soda and ACV rinses and it still seems to get overly oily. WV rinses are better for my hair, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas I could try? :shrug:

My hair is soft, straight-ish, in good condition, and the only oil it likes is jojoba; but my scalp tends to be dry.

(I prefer more natural solutions.)

Thanks!

PolarCathy
September 21st, 2011, 01:25 AM
Why did you give up on the WO? I think that could have helped (in the long run).

Hi Everyone,

I struggle with oily hair. 2 days after I wash it is really oily. I've washed 2 times a week for years, but recently have gone to 3 times a week.
I've tried oily shampoos, WO for a month, baking soda and ACV rinses and it still seems to get overly oily. WV rinses are better for my hair, but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas I could try? :shrug:

My hair is soft, straight-ish, in good condition, and the only oil it likes is jojoba; but my scalp tends to be dry.

(I prefer more natural solutions.)

Thanks!

AuburnTresses
September 21st, 2011, 06:03 AM
I gave up on WO because my hair was so oily and heavy I couldn't stand it. Also my oily tends towards a more sticky oil. Just didn't work on my 1b/1c hair. But thank you for the thought PolarCathy.

swetiepeti
September 21st, 2011, 06:11 AM
I have/had a very oily scalp, CO washing helped calm it down. Like you I used to wash twice a week, three times if it was just too too greasy to tolorate but it still dried out the length. I went to CO washing 3-4 times a week to start then was able to back it down to 2-3 times a week like I was doing for shampoo. Only now my scalp is not as oily on the off days, and the length is less dry.
You might however have to experiment with different conditioners and length of time left on your head. For me, I have to leave it on a few minutes longer but it works so much better I don't care

MsBubbles
September 21st, 2011, 06:16 AM
Wow, you get two whole days before the oil returns? :)

From BSL onwards scalp washes help with this problem. I do every day, or every other day scalp washes, depending on the oil slick at the time. It saves my ends and keep my scalp from getting nasty. I want long hair but I don't want a dirty scalp. Stretching washes didn't work for me. I just have grease-prone hair. :shrug:

PolarCathy
September 21st, 2011, 06:17 AM
If not WO again then I would try lemon juice rinses -- with real lemons squeezed into water (if you don't mind that it may lighten your hair).

Lapin
September 21st, 2011, 06:17 AM
I was in a very similar position a few years ago, when I was in my early twenties. I tried everything, and the only thing that worked was Korres Sage & Nettle shampoo. Unfortunately, it does contain the dreaded SLS, but I used it once or twice a week as needed and it worked like a charm! I'm allergic to everything too, but my oily hair and dry scalp seemed to like this a lot.

I used to get it from bath & body works, but here's an online link: http://www.feelunique.com/p/Korres-Sage-Nettle-Shampoo-for-Oily-Hair-250ml?utm_source=GoogleBaseUS&utm_medium=gen&curr=USD.

It's pricey, but since it doesn't take much product, and since I didn't use it every time I showered, it lasted until the expiration date.