PDA

View Full Version : Ends of Hair Feel Dry, but look fine?

elfgirl
September 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before...I looked, but couldn't seem to find a thread similar to my predicament.

My hair is fine (1a/1b, i/ii) and is currently about three to four inches from my hips. I wash it every other day, and use a natural shampoo and conditioner.

I don't know if this majorly affects anything, but I spent the summer (early June to late August) of this year living in a very warm climate (regular temperatures ranged from 80's if we were lucky to the more common 95-100's, and the lows were in the 70's). I maintained my regular hair care routine of washing and conditioning, and air drying wasn't a problem :) (my hair would seriously be dry in anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes after showering at the most). I stayed hydrated, kept my hair up in a bun, or in a single braid for pretty much the entire time I was there. I know this is all kind of backstory, but am including it in case it might have something to do with my current issue.

I washed my hair yesterday, and made sure to keep the conditioner on for around 5 minutes, as I really wanted it to soak in. I let my hair air dry (takes 2 hours now that I'm at home), braided it, and went to sleep. I was looking at my hair today, and noticed that while the ends of my hair Look healthy, they feel slightly, well, dry :( This is concerning to me, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend anything natural that I could try to see if the ends can be re-nourished. I hope this makes sense. I don't have a problem with getting a trim, if that is what's necessary, but would like to avoid it if at all possible, as I like growing my hair.

I hope this makes sense! Sorry for the length of this post....I am an English major and do enjoy writing, however :p Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you! Merci!

natural80
September 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
pure shea butter or castor oil on your ends

You may want to deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. My ends were dry and I just cut them.

spidermom
September 19th, 2011, 12:35 PM
If you haven't given them a good clarifying wash recently, do that. Sometimes it's the extra stuff you put on them (conditioner, oil, etc) that is dried out, not the hair itself.

Madora
September 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Perhaps a touch of coconut oil to the last 3 inches?

elfgirl
September 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Madora, thank you for the suggestion! I actually picked up some coconut oil today on a hunch before coming home from classes :) I'll go ahead and try that probably tomorrow morning!

Spidermom, that's a good idea about the clarifying wash. I'll do that, the coconut, and then castor oil (thank you natural80!), and see what happens. :) I'll keep you guys posted!

Ashenputtel
September 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe your hair has builduo from the products, doing a claryfing wash like spidermom said would be a good first step.

Oils are great to nourish and protect the hair but it doesn't bring water or protein to your hair. Maybe you are lacking something.

Is your hair fine, curly or treated? You might need protein. Check out your conditionner ingredients, if there is protein in it, maybe you're experiencing protein buildup. Is your hair stretchy when wet? If so you are lacking protein.

If you live in a area with enough humidity try to to a smt. Humectant will bring water to your hair. You can also try to put stray aloe vera gel in your hair or half aloe vera half oils.

ETA: Oils are also emollients, they help softening the strands.

HintOfMint
September 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
It could be buildup from protein, silicone, oils, creams, etc.

It could be a lack of moisture

It could be a lack of protein.

Or it could just be that the ends are old. Whenever I'm due for a haircut, even when my hair isn't damaged at the ends at all and no amount of clarifying or moisture treatments makes a difference, I go for a trim and all is well.

But make sure it's something that can be taken care of without a trim first.