PDA

View Full Version : I love the dirty hair/updo thing!

Curlsgirl
July 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think this is one thing I totally just love about my long hair now. I was sick last week and really just did not feel like washing my hair at all even though of course I bathed or showered. Today it has been 9 days since I actually washed my hair and I put it up in a Figure 8 and my Greydog stick and it looks great, can't even tell it's dirty really.

Oh the joys of long hair!!! Just singing it's praises!!! LA LA LA LA AL A LA LA LA!!!

lora410
July 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
yup, I love it to. I was sick once as well and it was just great to keep it in a scrunchie so it didn't get into my face when I was really sick in bed :-)

Sherri
July 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
I think I have heard that tune also. It is so nice to just be able to put it up. Even if you wanted to go somewhere you don't have to tell someone wait I have to wash my hair before we go. You know what I mean? It seems the long it gets the longer I can go without a wah too. Do other find this to be true?

Curlsgirl
July 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think I have heard that tune also. It is so nice to just be able to put it up. Even if you wanted to go somewhere you don't have to tell someone wait I have to wash my hair before we go. You know what I mean? It seems the long it gets the longer I can go without a wah too. Do other find this to be true?

YES!! I do!!!!! I was just thinking this today actually!

heidihug
July 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
I wish I could say that I can do this. The two inches closest to my head always get very greasy within 2 to 3 days (in winter, maybe 4) of the last washing. If I am very very careful, use a bit of talc and brush it through thoroughly, and put it up in a cinnabun (avoiding any hair cleavage), I can get away with stretching my wash out another day. But that's often more of a hassle than just washing it! :o

I have heard that people with darker hair have a harder time covering up the greasies, so that may be part of my problem. I have second-day after wash hair today, and I noticed that my first inch or so underneath was already nearly unacceptably greasy this morning. Darn sweaty hot weather.

bohemian
July 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Me too! And here I just thought I was crazy! I dont know if its my imagination but I find when its been that long since cleansing it behaves better when I put it up. Like the natural oil it my hair acts like a styling product. Its awesome! :D

FrannyG
July 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm just trying to imagine my hair going 9 days between washings when it was a chin length bob. :disgust:

Yes, long hair is a very good thing. :)

Siava
July 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
Heidihug, I was the same way before the medicine I'm taking. Actually, going 2 days was disgusting. I was THAT oily. Now I can go for 3 days, possibly 4, but just thinking about how long I've gone without a hair wash makes my skin crawl. I so wish I could say I like throwing my hair into an updo when it's dirty, but I don't. :( It's psychological because I'm sure it doesn't look as bad as I make it out to be. Old habits and all.

walkinglady
July 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
I do not need to wash my length very often, usually once a week, sometimes once every week and a half. I do have to scalp wash the top and sides of my hair every two or three days. When I cave and wash more frequently it is usually because my hair smells sweaty from exercise. I think long hair has to be pampered a bit more but it does not need as much shampoo or product to stay looking nice.

Boy, I went off topic! I never mentioned the dirty hair/updo thing. Yes, I do like it! My hair still looks good to others even when I know it isn't at it's best. I could never get away with dirty hair when it was short.

Cinnamon Hair
July 1st, 2008, 01:52 PM
Bah. I prefer just to wash every day. Combing out tangles in dry hair that hasn't been detangled in awhile is too much effort for me. Even when I had my scalp stitched (to remove a cancerous mole) I still washed daily. It's just easier for me to deal with wet or damp hair than dry.

Riot Crrl
July 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Bah. I prefer just to wash every day. Combing out tangles in dry hair that hasn't been detangled in awhile is too much effort for me. Even when I had my scalp stitched (to remove a cancerous mole) I still washed daily. It's just easier for me to deal with wet or damp hair than dry.

I'm so glad there's someone with extreme lengths who gets their hair wet every day. I probably will not grow as long as you have, but it still makes me feel better. :cheese: I don't need to wash it as in like "scrub scalp" every single day, but it seems to love at least rinsing and conditioning every day.

(Sorry for OT, please carry on with dirty love fest :) )

Delenn
July 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
In the summer I tend to get it wet more often because I'm usually more active outside and stuff, but having the option of waiting longer is very very nice.

spidermom
July 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I thought about your post and concluded that, when it comes to being too sick, or too anything, to bother with my hair, short-short is by far the best. Having to bother with an up-do is often a burden even when I feel my best.

I am happy for you, however.

mommy2one05
July 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM

Seeing someone with long hair say they wash every day give me inspiration.
Cause everybody makes you think that washing often is bad.
I wash every other day and was worried that it would keep my waist length hair from getting long.

But I also think it's great if you can stretch your washes out.
Whatever works best for you . :)

somethingwicked
July 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
I washed my hair every day until it was well past waist length. Then I found this place and gave CO a try, and that helped break me of the habit when I went crawling back to shampoo. I can now go every other day, sometimes every 3 days. I think I have to because of my messier habits...I'm outside sweating a lot in the summer, and I smoke, so I start feeling squicky if I think my hair might be carrying smoke stank.

blue_nant
July 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
... I can now go every other day, sometimes every 3 days. I think I have to because of my messier habits...I'm outside sweating a lot in the summer, and I smoke, so I start feeling squicky if I think my hair might be carrying smoke stank.

I was just talking to a friend about this. (Not all friends can you say this stuff to, either! lol)

I washed this morning and suddenly realized it had been some time since my last wash. In fact, it was 12 days before it started to feel "squicky." And although I go that long in the winter, it's pretty rare in the summertime, what with yard work and heat and all.

I went to a dry state (Justy's) and back and had some rather mellow (not humid) weather, so I can only blame (blame?) it on the good conditions that I somehow went 12 days.

My hair really feels coated with oils by the time I notice it getting squicky. And if I wait another day after squicky, then I often get a headache. Amazing. :D

yldchyld
July 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM
I'm so glad there's someone with extreme lengths who gets their hair wet every day. I probably will not grow as long as you have, but it still makes me feel better. :cheese: I don't need to wash it as in like "scrub scalp" every single day, but it seems to love at least rinsing and conditioning every day.

(Sorry for OT, please carry on with dirty love fest :) )

I'm just too lazy to wash my hair everyday. I usually go for every three to four days when I am not working and just pin it up with a claw.
But I agree, it's a pain in the rear to comb out those tangles in dry hair three days old.

NorthernDancer
July 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I think this is one thing I totally just love about my long hair now. I was sick last week and really just did not feel like washing my hair at all even though of course I bathed or showered. Today it has been 9 days since I actually washed my hair and I put it up in a Figure 8 and my Greydog stick and it looks great, can't even tell it's dirty really.

Oh the joys of long hair!!! Just singing it's praises!!! LA LA LA LA AL A LA LA LA!!!

I love this too. It's nice to be able to just put my hair up and not worry about it. :cheese: When I used to wash my hair once a week (on sunday) monday and tuesday my hair was down, wednesday and thursday it was half up, friday and saturday (and sunday up until I wash it) it would be all up. That gave me lots of style options, and I was able to stretch out the time between washings.
I do have bangs however, so sometimes I need to wash my bangs even though the rest of my hair is ok.

wendy645
July 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'll admit it: I'M LAZY!

There. Off my chest. OK in reality it's no secret. LOL I wash my hair 2-3 times a week depending on if I'm sweaty or if my hair stays surprisingly clean-looking when back. Like today, it's back in a bun, same as yesterday, because I did a MN treatment and meant to wash before I went to bed but got tired and just crashed out. No time in the morning because I wake up 15 minutes before I have to be at work, so up it went! Tonight I'll wash it. Last time I washed was Sunday. Wow.

Well, to be fair I'm paranoid about showering right now because it seems out water heater is what's throwing our breaker. And no electricity in an Arizona summer is no fun :-(

Patrycja
July 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I absolutely hate washing my hair.Its not considered long by many standards so I can just imagine how long I'll go when I get to my next goal(waist).I wash about 1-2 times a week now.Even though my scalp itches like mad,I put it up and ignore it as much as possible.I'm so tired by the end of the day(the only time I can take a shower,due to having 3 small children),the last thing I want to do is wash and do my after washing routine.Which can sometimes take as long as washing,with detangling and oiling and braiding when it's 1/2 way dry..etc.Going longer between washing and being able to wear it up(which I couldn't do when I had the bob for so long,therefore-I washed everyday to hide the greasies)is one of the many perks of having long hair :)

Magicknthenight
July 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
I think my hair actially combs easier when i haven't showered in a while. I don't know if its natural oils or what. But when i wash my hair it seems to get thicker and easier to tangle. If i go a few days it starts getting really soft. Since its summer i'm streching washing out a long time due to lazyness and when i don't go out i see no need to :p
Also this nocternal thing goin on. It always happens. Especially when i dont have to be somewhere in the morning. So i might decide to wash my hair at 3 in the morning :D
I don't ever really keep track of exactially how many days i go inbetween washes. I think it just varies on plans and what i feel like doing. Alot of times i will simply braid my hair and lean over the tub and wash my scalp good. Then put a towel around the scalp and clip my braid to the outside of the towel and take a shower. It cleans my scalp and my length is still soft. Its also really fast so when im super greasy and updos can't hide it and a friend wants to suddenly hang out i can just do that without having to wait forever for my hair to dry. Recently...i oil my ends and wash my scalp and then put it up. No one..has to know..:cool:
Also its very convenient that i can put my hair up..wash my bangs in the sink and go! If my hair wasn't long enough for updos id have hair in my face all day and that wouldn't help my tood especially if i felt like i needed to shower cuz my hair is dirty. I shower more then i wash my hair and as my hair gets longer..updos seem to get easier and easier:cheese:

KittyCat
July 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I'm a dirty girl too :p
I like the following days after a hairwash more than freshly washed hair too. My curls loosen up quite a bit and they are so easy to take care of and more manageable.

janaana
July 2nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think this is my favourite thing about long hair. I don't get oily all that quickly but when I had short hair I had to wash it every day so I could get it back into a neat style. Now it's long, I can easily go a week (or two if ever I'm not commuting into a dirty city to work) before I feel the need to wash it.

When I first moved to London I did let it go for two weeks before washing but I was so horrified at the dark grey water that came off it the first time I washed it, that I thought I'd better start cleaning it more often!

Sceleste
July 3rd, 2008, 01:54 AM
I should have washed yesterday but more important things such as going to the video rental and watching a film with my spouse prevented me from doing it... So, today I combed my hair into a sleek tight ponytail and bunned the ends. No one could tell my hair is actually quite greasy. Three hoorays for long greasy hair!

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I'm a dirty girl too, I suppose. I only wash my hair at most once a week, and I've gone a number of months only doing scalp washes. Lately I've been wetting my hair more often, as I've gotten addicted to catnip and cassia. The feeling of oily hair doesn't bother me at all, freshly washed hair is so poufy and hard to control. I feel like it floats around with the smallest breeze.

Keiera
July 3rd, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm going on day 5 without a shampoo because I replaced the caulk in my bathroom. It took two days to get the old stuff off, and another 24 hours for the new stuff to cure, and I washed two days before that. I'm looking fairly greasy, but throw it up in a bun and no one even looks twice :D.