PDA

View Full Version : Why is cutting your own hair such a taboo?

pepperpot
September 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Why is cutting your own hair seen as such a strange thing to do in real life, or or it just my circle of friends who have that attitude?

I have cut my own hair for most of my life but tended to keep it secret because the mere suggestion that it might be possible usually results in outrage (among people I know) such as "nooo thats crazy its a guaranteed disaster!" or "I can't believe someone would do that" etc. However I recently decided I'd had enough of being secretive and my close friends were surprised and actually started asking for tips! So I must be doing alright.

Why do so many people think its so strange? Its actually not that hard as most people who have tried Feye's method for a v shape or u shape will probably agree (I know not everyone will find it easy, but a lot of people do). I've also found a lot of layering techniques very easy (I've seen some of the layering cuts I've used in the past described here in all the times I've browsed the forums before joining, so obviously a lot of people come up with the same ideas). So obviously a lot of people cut their own hair successfully.

Do any of you feel the need to be secretive about it or do you find people's attitudes to be not quite as narrow minded as I've found in my experience? Is it just my crowd?

Also do any of you know people outside of hair forums who cut their own hair?

Theobroma
September 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Also do any of you know people outside of hair forums who cut their own hair?

Do I count? I was cutting my own hair for decades before I even knew that Internet hair forums existed, and hit upon something similar to Feye's method without ever having heard of Feye. :)

And I have no idea whether people think it's weird or not; I don't consciously make a secret of it, but the subject doesn't seem to come up very often in conversation.

pepperpot
September 19th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Do I count? I was cutting my own hair for decades before I even knew that Internet hair forums existed, and hit upon something similar to Feye's method without ever having heard of Feye. :)

Ha ha me too exactly

TrudieCat
September 19th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Lots of people screw up home haircuts, which is why lots of people prefer to get their hair cut at a salon. :shrug:

But if you like cutting your hair at home, then I don't see what business it is of anyone else, though. I don't share a lot of my less orthodox haircare methods with people unless they ask because I kind of figure my personal grooming habits are, well, personal, and it's not my job to defend my choices to people who don't have any stake in them.

florenonite
September 19th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I think it depends on what sort of hairstyles a person wants. If you want something basic, like a blunt hemline, it's relatively simple to do on yourself. If you want a lot of layering it's not necessarily possible to do it neatly, as you can't see the back of your head easily, so it's better to get a professional to do it.

Alaia
September 19th, 2011, 07:44 AM
My mum tends to cut her hair herself, out of being uncomfortable in a "beauty-focussed" environment.

I did it once, but it didn't turn out too well because I tried to cut layers in and didn't get them right.

I think if I'd have followed Feye's method it would have been fine, and in fact I intend to do so as I go along.

I think really it is probably just the accepted thing to do everything at a salon these days, whether through good advertising and indoctrination, laziness, or just preferring to let people do it who spend their lives doing it.

pepperpot
September 19th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Well I'm glad to hear there are so many people here who don't think I'm mad for cutting my own hair.

I have nothing against people wanting to use hairdressers, but I think we should also be able to trim our own hair if we want to.

One friend I had used to talk constantly about hair, so hair cuts did come up frequently in conversation. She complimented my hair and asked who cut it, which was when I admitted I always did it myself (she was one of the few I admitted it to when I was more secretive about it) and after that she would not stop going on about how mad I was (even though she had previously complimented the cut). She was a firm believer that everyone should go to salons.

pepperminttea
September 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I think sometimes people assume that it's a sign of being poor or lower class, that you don't have the money to go to a salon. I don't worry about it though, it makes me feel very liberated that I can do it myself without having to faff with hairdressers. :)

MinderMutsig
September 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Everyone in my family cuts their own or each others hair. Cutting or trimming bangs, cutting the length, layering, giving the men a trim etc. We only visit hairstylists for drastic changes like when I went for a pixie cut.

swetiepeti
September 19th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Can't say I cut my own, but I do let my husband trim mine. He actually knows what half an inch is. I've even gone so far as to bring in a 6 inch ruler and show a stylist how much I want cut and ended up with 4 inches on the floor.
Now my favorite lady trimmed just like I asked for and she always told me she felt like she was robbing me as I'd come in with washed, dried untangled hair 4 x a year and simply want the very bottom 1/2 inch off. Only took her a couple minutes of me standing and I tipped her 30-50% (the price was very reasonable as it was one of the national chains). But this was before hubby cut mine and I was so happy to find someone who cut only what I asked for.

arjay.d
September 19th, 2011, 08:08 AM
My sister-in-law's mom was a beautician, so my sis knows how to layer and thin and do all that stuff. My mom and I haven't gone to a salon in years. But I don't think I'd try to do it on myself. I'm not that adventurous.

spidermom
September 19th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I think that most people enjoy the salon experience and don't understand why you wouldn't want that. I like going to see my stylist, but money has been an issue this year, so I've self-trimmed out of necessity.

QMacrocarpa
September 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I've only gotten a few salon haircuts in my life. As a kid my Mom cut it many times, a friend trimmed it in college, and since then I've cut and trimmed it myself (not (yet) with Feye's method, which I didn't learn about until I found LHC last year). I don't foresee paying for a haircut again. This might sound odd, but personally I likely would have gotten more salon cuts if salons weren't a tipping environment. Tipping stresses me out, I'd prefer it if they just charged more.

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Because most people's hair isn't long enough to be easily self-trimmed, so they assume it's hard for everyone.

doodlebug66
September 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I usually cut my own hair, but when I did the pixie cut I went to the salon. Now letting it grow so will have DD or DH cut ends and we will keep it up til all one length again the on to BSL or waist. I have found in the salon some get cut happy and I have had one tell me she would not cut my hair the way I wanted it so I walked out.

Monsterkitti
September 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I have been getting DS to trim my hair for years now, I only want 2" or less trimmed straight across and she's happy doing it. I tried self trimming last trim and that also worked great for when she's not around.

Most people enjoy the salon experience I think, myself included but I cant justify £50 in my fave salon just to have a simple inch trimmed straight across.

MinderMutsig
September 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I usually cut my own hair, but when I did the pixie cut I went to the salon. Now letting it grow so will have DD or DH cut ends and we will keep it up til all one length again the on to BSL or waist. I have found in the salon some get cut happy and I have had one tell me she would not cut my hair the way I wanted it so I walked out. This is my #1 problem with salons. There are far too many hairstylists who think they are unrecognized superstar hair artists and won't listen to what you want but do what they think you need.

There are a lot of decent and even great ones out there but for me it's just not worth it to have 50 bad cuts before I find them.

Juicematic
September 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I think most people find it odd because they couldn't imagine cutting their own hair without messing it up. I don't know anyone outside hair forums that cut their own hair besides curious kiddies that cut their ponytails and braids off in school. lol

Neneka
September 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I cut it myself. I just don't care if it's not all even and I don't have too much money. Yes, my friends think that I am crazy but they know that I really am quite crazy. :D I think they would react differently to someone less crazy cutting her/his own hair. :)

lapushka
September 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM
When I went into my teens, I started experimenting with my hair. I hated going to the salon. My grandparents used to take me to a barber for short hair cuts before I was allowed to grow my hair out at age 6, and I enjoyed *that* experience: no-nonsense, very straightforward. I absolutely loathe salons! The hours it takes, the kind of talk (gossip, celebrities, ...), the whole frilly frolly nature of it. I used to watch how my hair was cut, however, and then I used to try and mimic it at home. A few of those cuts were a downright disaster, but I got better at it. After all that time, I know how to cut my own hair. I tend to not discuss it with people. because once they know there their critical eye goes and the inevitable, "O yeah, but you *can* tell, you know." :roll: First they admire it so much, then it sucks. Yeah, right. BS!

Cainwen
September 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I think there tends to be a taboo about it because a) its really hard to do on short hair, and there's only one person I know in RL who managed to pull it off (and lots more that didn't) b) its associated with college kids and the type of person who wants to know if when they die they can use their body as garden compost.

That said, I cut DH's hair (though I wish I didn't. I can never blend it to my satisfaction. And he fidgets) and my own now. I kinda enjoy going to the salon now and then, so when there's more money and I'm willing to loose a couple inches, I feel its a treat.

Roscata
September 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I cut my own hair only once so far, but when I told my mother I did it myself she asked me to cut hers too, so I guess it came out alright. Before LHC I've tried cutting my own hair and with the exception of bangs and FF layers I didn't attempt to cut my own hair. I was scared I'd mess it up because I can't see behind myself and I had short hair for 10 years, which means that if I messed up, even a little, all I could do is wait for it to grow so I can correct it. Too scary lol. No one ever said anything bad about me cutting my own hair because it isn't uneven or anything. *shurg*

swearnsue
September 19th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I think most people are too chicken to cut their own hair so when they find someone who does cut their own they are shocked and jealous a little bit. How good are salon haircuts anyway? I'd rather chop on my own hair and then spend the $60 on Hagen Daz, all you can eat! We who do our own hair don't have to make the appointment, reschedule the appointment when the hairdresser's sister is in town, sit in the waiting area smelling fake nail stuff, perms, bleach, formaldehide etc., lean back in a neck breaking chair/sink while the shampoo girl scrubs the heck out of our hair... I'm ranting, sorry. If I were employed as a professional or in a highly visible job I would go to a salon, but I'm retired so I can do whatever I want including eating Hagen Daz ice cream!

Lady Dragon
September 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I have cut my own hair several times, I usually don't do it unless it is past my shoulders though for me cutting short hair is harder for some reason.

In my opinion the 'taboo' comes from 2 places.
1) social norms to do with class/wealth/status ... for example: someone who cuts their own hair 'obviously' does so because they're cheap or poor.
2) the 'I cut my own hair' and resulting trauma thing that most of us did as kindergartners.

Just my own ideas.

8thsinner
September 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Can someone please share a link to feye's hair cutting method, I haven't come across it yet.

florenonite
September 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I have cut my own hair several times, I usually don't do it unless it is past my shoulders though for me cutting short hair is harder for some reason.

In my opinion the 'taboo' comes from 2 places.
1) social norms to do with class/wealth/status ... for example: someone who cuts their own hair 'obviously' does so because they're cheap or poor.
2) the 'I cut my own hair' and resulting trauma thing that most of us did as kindergartners.

Just my own ideas.

In my case it was 'my sister cut my hair' :lol:

pepperminttea
September 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Can someone please share a link to feye's hair cutting method, I haven't come across it yet.

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

8thsinner
September 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thank you pepperminttea, thats a pretty simple looking technique, I might have to try this myself.

Baby
September 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I really dislike the whole situation of sitting at a hairsalon having to listen to shatter, and in my life I have cut my hair about 30 times and once I was pleased with the result, I always get disappointed otherwhise. I have cut my own hair since I was 15 and it is not that hard, ofcourse I was no good at it in the beginning but I learned. I found a technique similar to her(now I don´t remember her name) U-shape, I just do it in sections. I don´t really talk about that I cut my own hair,my friends know but they also cut their own hair or let a familymember of friend do it.

dementedkitten
September 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I find a lot of Hairdressers (for obvious reasons) like to frown upon anyone cutting their own hair .. or anyone else cutting their clients hair for that matter. I once had a hair dresser totally rant and rave about how they thought my last haircut was "terrible" and "squint" .. "who would do such a thing?!!" .. needless to say she was pretty embarressed when I pointed at her boss and said "she did!" - There was nothing wrong with the cut, she was just trying to convince me that they were the best salon in the city.

Anyway, since finding LHC I am feeling much more confident in cutting my own hair and the taboo that's been drilled into me by hairdressers is starting the fade :)

FrozenBritannia
September 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I have started trimming my own hair after two of the moms at my sons school and I were talking about how hairdressers never do it right, and I discovered that they both cut their own hair!
I've always done my husbands hair and both of my sons but was never brave enough to do it on my own (Except bangs) but I have done one little trim already in july and I'm not doing another till christmas if I can help it (I'm hoping by then I will actually have hair long enough that I can SEE what I'm cutting)... Nervous, but hopeful!!

Kricket
September 19th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I think I've been to a salon maybe 3 times in my life. I grew up with a mother that cut our hair, her own, and my Dad's. So not weird at all. =D

Tapioca
September 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I see absolutely no problem with cutting your own hair, and I used to trim my own bangs all the time. Nowadays I don't cut my own hair because I have tremors in my hands, but if I could... it would save so much money! As it is, I do take the clippers to DH every few weeks, but his haircut is easy. 1" blade all over. Zoom.

WaitingSoLong
September 19th, 2011, 03:08 PM
The topic of who cuts my hair rarely comes up, however, it did just the other day. Most people are surprised, like they think it cannot be done. I don't try to hide it at all, I don't think there is a stigma, just surpise that I did and it doesn't look like poo. LOL.

When people ask me "how often do I cut my" (and frequently, for some reason, if I have EVER cut my hair) they don't mean ME, they mean how often do I HAVE my hair cut. It is assumed no one does it themselves.

I have cut my hair off and on all my life with varying degress of success. The longer it is, the easier it is but I successfully cut layers into my hair when I was about 21 or so after cutting most the length off from past BSL ( I think I was about waist then, but I don't have good pics and didn't use such terms then either, at any rate, I cut about 8" of hair or more). I have had a few disasters and was reluctant to try Feye's method at first but resigned that I would go "have it fixed" if I majorly screwed up. I didn't, however (screw up) and haven't been to a salon since.

I DID cut my hair when I was younger for financial reasons. Affording a real haircut was a luxury. I do it now because of bad hair salon experiences plus I am frugal and just don't see the need now that I know I can successfully do it myself. It is like paying for a car wash when I can wash it myself at home. However, now I think I have permanently sworn off salons as I have no plans to ever have my hair so short again that I would have difficulty cutting it myself.

Anje
September 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I imagine that it's relatively tough to do well with shorter hair that's too long for a clipper cut. The results of a less-skilled short-hair-self-cut tend to range from choppy to "got in a fight with a lawn mower."

Even with long hair, all-one-length self trims are quite simple, but doing anything that requires more shaping than a "compact cut" is difficult to do on your own.

SarahKayfa
September 19th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I have been cutting my own hair for almost 14 years. I've had a couple of salon haircuts in there, but the reason I started was that I wanted a very short, choppy, sexy, pixie cut, and I couldn't find a hairdresser that wouldn't give me a short mom 'do.
It was always too long on top, too poofy, too safe and two blowdryer dependent. So I had to do it myself. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of my hotter hairstyles in my album, just the dull growing-out styles :(
I'm not the type of girl who likes waiting a week for an appointment. When I want a change, I want it now!
It's great being self-sufficient.

I think the stigma is more lack of confidence. People don't trust themselves to do a good job and can't imagine that a non-pro could handle it. Plus everyone knows someone that had a horrible home haircut in elementary school or something.

lizdini
September 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I just mentioned trimming my own hair and the husband responded with "we're poor, but not that poor". :shrug: Lol (we're not really poor, just have less money since he started his own business)

tigereye
September 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I did my latest chop and layer by myself. I usually get it trimmed at a trusted salon, but some of the other stylists don't understand how much an inch really is, the person I normally see and trust was away, and I was moving, so I couldn't go. I probably won't tell many people that I did it myself. They will likely freak out. I think it's just that a)most people don't know how to, b)they are afraid of messing up their hair, and/or c) it's just the generally accepted thing to go to a salon. I had hair to spare, so I thought an attemp at learning to layer and trim wouldn't be too bad if I messed up. But I didn't mess up, it was really easy, free (except the cost of hair scissors, but I had them for S&Ding anyway), and turned out just how I wanted.

Airmide
September 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Trimming your own is easy if it's long enough! I'm actually terrified of salons because of all the stories of bad cuts. I went into Ulta without realizing they had a salon inside and actually laughed at myself for feeling slightly panicky when I saw it and pulling my hair protectively around front. I know it's not like they were going to run up and accost me with scissors!

Now cutting shorter hair or more complicated styles, especially on oneself, that's more risky and more impressive if done well.

I think most people just don't think they'd be able to do that without butchering it, and may have seen people with home hair cuts they didn't like. My friend actually cut her hair while it was in braids! I'd watched my mom get her hair cut so I was able to go over and even it up well enough that it took her mom several days to notice, despite her having cut maybe 6 inches off!

jasper
September 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I never thought it was taboo at all, but most people would probably find it easier to have someone else do the cutting since it is easier for someone else to see and reach the back of the head.

I've trimmed my own bangs for years, but any time I could get anyone to do it for me, I would. That beats trying to focus on hair and weild scissors an inch from your own eyeballs. And Faye's method works well for me but if I could convince another person to help cut from the back instead of bringing the ponytail forward, I bet it would result in a better, straighter hemline.

I just mentioned trimming my own hair and the husband responded with "we're poor, but not that poor". :shrug: Lol (we're not really poor, just have less money since he started his own business)
That is funny! I cut my huband's hair and we do save money, but that wasn't the real motivation. He used to always get his hair cut at whatever cheap haircut place was in the neighborhood. We were shopping for something else when I wandered down an aisle that had an electric trimmer/clipper kit with a how to cut hair video . . . and it was an impulse buy that lead to my becoming his barber.

FrozenBritannia
September 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm not the type of girl who likes waiting a week for an appointment. When I want a change, I want it now!
I

THIS!!! Entirely this...

nobeltonya
September 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I cut my own hair straighter than the hair cutters do.. and, it's cheaper. :) We got our sons' hair cut about a month or so ago, and as it's growing out, it's looking more and more uneven.. :P I could tell when we got home from getting it cut it wasn't straight. And, they both sat still!

Alex Lou
September 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I usually cut my own hair. Once, I decided to go from long to pixie and it was freaking my roommate out. Afterwards she was really impressed by how good it looked. But lately I've been giving in to my mom who wants me to go and get it cut. In the past couple years I've gotten 2 terrible $40 haircuts, and a 3rd $12 haircut (my current one) that I didn't quite like the shape of and tweaked myself after I got home. :( Most hairdressers just aren't that skilled and don't know my hair and how it will react. I'm artistic enough that I can get the shape that I have in mind on my own, so I'd rather do it myself.

But yeah, it's taboo. I don't advertise. People think of haircuts as something to be left to professionals, something that requires advanced skill and training, and that the average person is incompetent to do (I guess the average person probably is, actually).

8thsinner
September 19th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I think perhaps a good rule of thumb should be that all hairdressers be able to cut their own hair as standard...Might up the ante a bit.

FrozenBritannia
September 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
the average hairdresser is too unfortunately.

longhairedlady
September 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I think perhaps a good rule of thumb should be that all hairdressers be able to cut their own hair as standard...Might up the ante a bit.
yes this is an excellent idea!!!!

Lostsoule77
September 19th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I've only had a salon cut 3 times in my life and I never really liked it. Growing up my mom cut our hair. I don't know how she cut hers, but it must've been herself because her hair was never longer than bsl. As I got older my sister usually trimmed my hair & I'd cut hers. I've trimmed my front for years and would just let the back grow. I think I might've cut it once or twice before finding lhc. It was never bad, but never great either. The beginning of this year I cut it using feye's method and thought it was pretty good. It's the method I intend to keep using. I don't like layers on me so it doesn't matter much.

I never paid attention to what others thought of it. I don't know anyone else who does, but they don't say much to me about me doing my own.

Demetrue
September 19th, 2011, 08:59 PM
It never had anything to do with money. My dad cut my mom's chin length bob perfectly for years (he's an engineer!) and my hair was beyond classic and my mom would trim my ends about once or twice a year. It never even occurred to me to go to some stranger and have them touch my hair and try to cut it in a way I would find pleasing.

racrane
September 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hmn, I like my hairdresser but I kind of want to "graduate" from her. Now that my hair is getting longer, I'm trying to go another year without trimming and then try a small self-trim myself. I am a poor college student and don't see why I should go to a salon, pay $30 for one inch taken off, a $10 fee for "long" hair (BSL) plus a huge tip. I mean, I like her but I don't have that kind of money. And if I start doing it right, I want to keep it up.

A lot of people are just scared to or their hair is too short to do it well. It's easier if it's longer.

Besides, I've learned that with pampering and TLC I don't need a trim as often as I thought I would. That's a nice feeling, no matter who trims. :)

jaine
September 19th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hmm, I used to be addicted to cutting my hair, I think it was an OCD desire to have everything really even and oval-shaped and symmetrical. I was probably the worst person for the job as you can see below. :) This was the best I could manage after 10 years of practice and I think it looks horrible. My hair stylist does a much better job now. An expensive haircut is the best motivation for me to leave my hair alone, because I don't want to mess it all up.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6736&pictureid=92155

<3OnHerSleeve
September 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I've been cutting my hair for 3 years now. Not one haircut disaster yet. People have been surprised before but don't usually make a big deal out of it.

summerstarlet
September 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I personally think that there is nothing wrong with cutting your own hair and I would love to do it on myself, only problem is I'm not very competent with a pair of shears. I would love to save on those pesky trips!

HintOfMint
September 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
It's not really a taboo, it's just that most of us (imagine that we might) suck at it.
We've all heard horror stories, or have made a mistake or two of our own.

And I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of us screwed up while cutting our own bangs.

Ermine
September 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Well, there's seems to be a general "specialist" attitude ("I do my thing and you do yours") So many people don't even see if they can. There are also some people who are spatially challenged and find it cut their own hair in a mirror as a result. And many people have layers or "shorter" hair that would be harder to trim.

I trim my own hair to a degree since it's cheaper and I don't trust the hair stylists where I go to college. All I do is trim my bangs when I want to keep them out of my eyes and I've been trimming the back of my pixie cut so it doesn't turn into a mullet. But at my current stage I don't think I have to do that for a while now. For the rest, I luckily have a trustworthy hair stylist back home that does tiny trims for everything else I can't reach. But when I have long enough hair that I can reach all the layers easily, I definitely want to trim my own hair. Blunt hemlines are pretty easy to maintain, so why not?

prettykitty
September 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I started cutting my own hair this year, and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. Yes, I had all the usual problems with stylists being unable to judge how much an inch is, stripping my hair, etc, but the real problem for me was the way they would ear bash me into feeling bad about my hair.

"It's too thin to be this long." "It's too dry." "It makes your face look too long." "That's permanent hair loss, not shedding, you'll go bald." And that old chestnut, "It needs to be trimmed every six weeks to grow longer." Bull doody! :poop:

So I'd always leave feeling very upset and like I was about to lose all my hair and be bald :/

But, trimming my own hair is fun! I wash it, let it air dry, comb it carefully and then trim where needed. I cut my own fringe into it, which looks supercute. I like to bond with my hair and feel in tune with it, and I think cutting it so carefully and lovingly myself helps that a lot.

PraiseCheeses
September 19th, 2011, 11:34 PM
A friend of mine in the Peace Corp was told by her Lithuanian hairdresser: "It's bad luck to cut your own hair - you'll never find a husband!" :lol:

pepperpot
September 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM

I like this. :D

8thsinner
September 20th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I like the way you think pretty kitty, thats a lot a good reason to stay at home and do it yourself.

Praisecheeses, sorry but the only thing in my head when you said that was a response something like this, "thats okay, I found one, his wife's a hair dresser"

mariazelie
September 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
When my son was little, I tried to cut his fine, straight hair. I told him if I EVER suggested it again, to lock himself in the bathroom and not to open the door no matter what I said. Apparently we don't all have the talent for cutting our own or anyone's hair. My sister always cut her own hair and mine, and one of my friends has always cut her own. Me...I'm not trying it again! If you are good at it, you must have a natural aptitude. So why not?

SwordWomanRiona
September 21st, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've always self-trimmed, and yes, people do sort of gape stupidly at that (*imagine not going to a hairdresser's!* exclamations are common). I really can't understand why people have to butt in at the slightest details of your life, what is it to them if I trim my own hair and why on earth is it so strange a thing to them? :confused:
And it's not as if I layer my hair or anything, I only trim my ends, and it's a simple blunt hemline I have (when it's not fairytaled from lack of trimming :)), so...

SwordWomanRiona
September 21st, 2011, 04:12 PM
A friend of mine in the Peace Corp was told by her Lithuanian hairdresser: "It's bad luck to cut your own hair - you'll never find a husband!" :lol:

:confused::confused: What has that have to do with cutting one's hair? Utter rubbish!! (*So Patriarchy thinks women should add trimming their hair to the long list of things they shouldn't do, is that it? :mad:*)

kellysmum
September 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
What is the Feye method you wrote about early in this thread? I'd love to know how to trim my own hair. The last time I had a "trim" was in June. I asked for 1/2" off, ended up losing 2". Same old story.

Vasilissa
September 21st, 2011, 05:01 PM
I haven't ever heard that cutting your own hair can that dramatically affect person's life and even (!) chance of getting married... :eek:

I think that belief of that cutting your own hair is something bad (even if you don't know what exactely) could have been created by some cunning middle age hairdressers, which wanted to guarantee themselves stable incomes… :D and as many other weird beliefs still subconsciously affects our behaviour…

I have been cutting my hair as well. First time I felt a bit awkward though.. It was more psychological, as if I was breaking some rules. The results were good and more than satisfying, so I threw all those thoughts away with a big relief. It’s always a pleasure to feel that you can take care about yourself, be independent and still good looking. After all, if you don’t need all those multiple layers and square shaped hair styles and God knows what else, but all you need is healthy long hair - only you can take care of it best. (Or you closest relatives.. :D)

I personally think, that hairdressers are good at cutting-off and shaping, not at growing it long… It’s like they will rather cut a bit more than less… Or I just had a bad experience..

JaneinMarch
September 21st, 2011, 06:12 PM
Maybe just that "dependent on the professional" attitude. I felt the same way until a couple of months ago. My hair is short and I've come to enjoy cutting it to half an inch every eight weeks or so. Sometimes there's a tuft that's longer than most of the other hair, but it's no big deal and pretty easy to correct (if I want to).

BlazingHeart
September 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM
My hair is so extremely thick that it's hard to get a good cut. Both pros and non-pros have badly screwed up my hair. I started seeing my stylist when I was 12 and my mother didn't want to screw up giving me a bob. While I've tried other places, nobody else has managed a good cut. Over the years, she has prevented a number of bad cuts by telling me it wouldn't work well with my hair. Eventually I gave up on finding new places and I just go see her when I visit my parents, as I now live on the other side of the country.

I don't dare try my own. With thickness like mine, it has to be cut divided and cut a little bit at a time. With all of my shoulder and hand injuries, I just couldn't wield the scissors that long. Besides, Oksana still charges me the same amount she did when I was 12. I tip her well because it takes 45 minutes to cut and blow out my hair, which is worth more than the $25 she charges me.

~Blaze

The_Redhead
September 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM
I've had 2 stylists that actually listened and did what I asked. The rest have always cut way too much off or otherwise butchered my hair. I also refuse to pay $40+ to someone to trim a 1/2" off my hair.

I'd rather have hubby cut it and go out for dinner instead.

I think a lot of people associate it with being poor.

Shannon

pepperpot
September 22nd, 2011, 05:19 AM
What is the Feye method you wrote about early in this thread? I'd love to know how to trim my own hair. The last time I had a "trim" was in June. I asked for 1/2" off, ended up losing 2". Same old story.

Kellysmum here are articles written by Feye on self trimming. Its a method which a lot of people have worked out for themselves including me so I don't think Feye invented it, but she was kind enough to post clear instructions with pictures.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=196

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=199

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=198

noelgirl
September 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Apparently we as girls are required to enjoy the "pampering" salon experience. That's the sales pitch every time someone's trying to push a salon deal around here (which is all the time, with those "can I ask you a question about your hair?" guys - they've asked me that question even in the winter when my hair has been completely covered, so something leads me to believe that they aren't really so curious). "Pampering" is a lot of poking and prodding to me, so I guess I'd better turn in my Girl Card.

Lady Neeva
September 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
I cut my own hair and other people don't generally care. (Although my Miri-what I call my mother-insists me on cutting my hair in a salon. Considering my last haircut was a disaster, no.)

CaityBear
September 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
When I have long hair I'm never going to go to a salon to get it cut. Ever again. There's no point to it. I have been trimming my own hair for a long time (in fact tonight I got annoyed and cut off a good 2-3 inches of my hair...) and if I'm lazy I have a good friend who cuts lots of peoples hair. BUT when I have chin length hair then I'll have to go to a salon. Or at least for the big cut. Then I will get my friend to maintain my hair while I grow out henna.

Evalea
September 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I have been cutting my own hair for the past four years. Simply due to the fact that I have not had a cut from anyone else - professional or friends in my college dorm - that I EVER liked! I knew what I wanted so I just started cutting my own hair to achieve that.

I lived in a college dorm for 5 years (bachelors and masters degrees) and many of the girls there thought it was absolutely ridiculous to cut your own hair. I don't even think they ever considered it was possible!

Prior to cutting my own hair, I have trimmed my mom and sister's long hair. My mom trims my dad and brothers' hair. I guess I did not think of it as taboo until the girls in college said something. :rolleyes:

blondie9912
September 24th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Lots of people screw up home haircuts, which is why lots of people prefer to get their hair cut at a salon. :shrug:

But if you like cutting your hair at home, then I don't see what business it is of anyone else, though. I don't share a lot of my less orthodox haircare methods with people unless they ask because I kind of figure my personal grooming habits are, well, personal, and it's not my job to defend my choices to people who don't have any stake in them.

Well said! Some folks can be very judgmental, I told a couple of my friends about coconut oil and they even though THAT was insane :lol: I wonder how they'd react to such methods like CO washing and 'no trimming til 2014'

pepperpot
September 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I have been cutting my own hair for the past four years.

And judging by your picture you're doing a really good job. I love the v shape.

Teamouse
October 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I almost never let someone else cut my hair anymore.

Whenever I've done a huge chop, like pixie or chin length, it's always been impulsive so I've just done it myself.
Although when I was still living at home I got it done by a "professional" because I didn't want my Mum to get mad at me!
Although I do remember one time I kept telling the hairdresser I wanted it shorter, I showed her how much I wanted off. I even brought in pictures. But she kept cutting off an unnoticable amount and I was so annoyed and felt so awkward telling her over and over to cut it shorter still, that I just said it was fine and left and cut off the amount I wanted at home. It looked awesome.
That was the first time I cut my hair. I did it in secret. I felt so naughty.
(^This is like the opposite of a bad hair cut story on this forums)

Last time I cut it chin length and I was worried it might not be even. I went to the hairdresser to get them to even it up for me. I hadn't told them I cut my hair myself because I was embarassed. :rolleyes: They did basically nothing. They looked at me like "wait... why are you here?" I was kind of annoyed yet proud of myself at the same time for my chopping skills.

I recently met up with an old friend of mine. She's a beautician. At some point I told her I cut my own hair and she was like "What? You do? You shouldn't do that! I mean... I do... but I didn't think anyone else should." Haha!

Probably the main reason I don't like going is because of the awkwardness. I have anxiety issues. I hate having my hair washed because I don't want some lady who I barely know to have her boobs right in my face. I don't want to read a lame magazine. I'd bring a book to read but I want to watch what s/he's doing. But I don't want to make him/her uncomfortable by staring... And worst of all the small talk *shudder* oh, the small talk.

It seems pointless to me anyway seeing that I'm growing it now.

hs_atreides
October 8th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I started cutting my own hair when I was 14 and trying to grow out an awful looking perm. I have tried my hand at many different styles and various lengths. Usually, my drive to cut is either I want it done NOW or I'm low on funds. Sometimes, I screwed up and then went to the nearest stylist to have it shaped properly. Shorter pixies are difficult, simple angled bobs relatively easy and I found shoulder to APL quite easy.
I never bought into the taboo.

LaurelSpring
October 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I dont know that its ever been an issue with anyone I know. I just started doing it a couple of years ago. I dont know that its ever really come up in conversation. I cant imagine that it would really matter. Weird. :shrug:

morrigan*
October 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Everyone in my family cuts their own or each others hair. Cutting or trimming bangs, cutting the length, layering, giving the men a trim etc. We only visit hairstylists for drastic changes like when I went for a pixie cut.
It's the same in our family, I have never been in salon to cut my hair. I was only once in salon to colour my hair and it was a disaster. But it's true when that people are often suprised about that.

Because most people's hair isn't long enough to be easily self-trimmed, so they assume it's hard for everyone.

I trimmed myself when I have between chin and shoulder lenght hair, and it wasn't difficult at all. :D

jacqueline101
October 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM
It stems from botched hair and people think you can afford the salon so you grow your hair out long.

misspurdy06
October 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I trim my own hair because every salon I've been to give me looks and always tell me I need to cut off six inches for my hair to be healthy and grow.

and since I am perfectly capable of cutting, trimming and styling my own hair I see no reason to go to a salon and putting my hair in the hands of someone who looks down on my hair and wants to cut 5 more inches than I requested.

I'm not saying that's all hairdressers just any of the ones I have encountered.

LittleB
October 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think because a lot of people butcher their hair. Especially with kitchen shears as opposed to using haircutting scissors, etc. I like to microtrim my own (short for now) hair. It's so liberating! Huge fan of DIY any way you can. Why pay tons of $$ when you don't have to? I have three sisters, tho, who would NEVER trim their own hair.

tameriska
October 9th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I am guessing that the "taboo" stems from the mainstream perception that it is hard to do, and looks awful.
First situation; A young child finds scissors - "Look Mummy, I cut my own hair"
The mother immediately looks horrified, tells the child not to do that ever again, and whisks the child away to a hairdresser to get it fixed, whilst lamenting to the hairdresser about what the child has done to their beautiful hair.

Second situation; Child, a bit older, 7-13, at a friends place. They decide that they want the latest style/ shorter hair that what their parents allow, and one or more cut their friends hair, resulting in parental disaproval and being whisked away back to the hairdresser to get their hair fixed.

Third situation; A person teen/ adult decides that their fringe is too long, can't be bothered going to the salon to get it trimmed and trims it themselves, badly. Result, going back to the hairdresser to get it fixed.

Alternate situation. Growing up, parents cut the child/teen's hair, either due to financial situation, or other factors. Child/teen grows up with unfashionable/bad or just unwanted haircut and dreams of being an adult where they can make their own decisions, take control of their own life, and venture into the unknown world of the salon where they can instantly be transformed by the "right" cut and walk out and look just like that girl on the magazine page.

Obviously oversimplistic view of my perception of "mainstream" pressures to attend a hairdresser. I am assuming that a majority of people in "western" culture visit a salon at least semi-regulary. Their friends, family, and nearly all the people that they know just automatically visit a hairdresser when they need their hair cut.
Either their own personal botched attempts at trimming havent worked, or the stories told at family gatherings of when "Little Becky" found the scissors and cut her own hair, lead to the perception that it is too hard, it is going to end up wrecked, and you're going to end up looking like a three year old that found the scissors "all by themselves.

tameriska
October 9th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I will admit, in highschool, I cut my own hair, at the time, it was just at shoulderlength, or just below. For me, when it got longer that that, it was harder for me to do with the method that I was using at the time.
Yes, I did at times make mistakes, my fringe on a number of occasions ended up way too short. Occasionally I had to ask my father to straighten up my haircuts.
I have also walked out of a hairdresser hating my hair, after having indicating that I wanted it trimmed to shoulderlength, she proceded to give me a bluntcut angled bob, shaving the back of my head when what I wanted was a long straight bob, a few inches below my chin.
A couple of years later after a trim, my father and a few of his friends swore to me that the hairdresser cut my hair crooked - one side was longer than another. I worked out that when she had trimmed my hair, she left one bit tucked behind one ear when she did it, so that when it wasn't tucked, one side looked longer than another. I went back to the hairdresser, she couldnt see what I was talking about untill I pointed it out, and then it seemed like she touched up the trim, not because she really believed me, but to shut me up and get me out of there.
What it comes down to though, it didn't really matter who had actually cut my hair, I was still the one walking around stuck with it.
A bad haircut by myself didn't really annoy me as much as one that I actually had paid money for, because I could work out what I had done wrong,. and hopefully improve and do a better job next time.
Now that I have longer hair, It is a lot easier to trim via Feyes trimming method.
I will admit to most people, if it comes up in conversation that I trim my own hair, and my reasons for doing so.
(And, yes, I have gotten better at it, lol )

Rowan1980
October 9th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I have to agree with pepperminttea's comment. Where I grew up, cutting your own hair--unless you were a professional stylist by trade--was seen as indicative of being part of the working or poorer classes. It was very much frowned upon. :rolleyes: Makes me glad I moved far awaaaay! :D

Where I live in Maine, cutting one's own hair or cutting hair for a family member or friend is pretty common. Salons tend to be pricy. To be honest, it was ultimately more cost-efficient for me to buy a pair of dedicated hair-cutting scissors and have my DW and I trim each others' hair than pay $32.00+ for the both of us to get a trim at a salon, which was essentially a 5 minute appointment. YMMV.

ya-ya C
October 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I've been cutting my own hair for over 2 years now after my roomate itroduced me to it (she didn't pick it up from internet, she was, like the person above, saving money on 5 min appointments) She would still go to a salon... about once a year!

I wear my hair up for most of the time and it's also curly so once it got long enough I decided to do it myself as well because even if it's not very straight or evenly cut it won't be noticeable. Now I have a sister-in-law who is a stylist so she's my once-a-year professional touch up. If I didn't have her I doubt I'd be having professional attention more often than once in 3-4 years - it just feels such a waste to pay $25-30 for something I can actually do myself and not that bad after all (I have't had any comments on my hemline being uneven when my hair is down :cheese:)

I too come from where it's unheard of to cut your own hair, at the same time it was quite normal an acceptable to dye your own or help your friend/sister/mother dye their hair.

LOL I also like the look I get when I tell people I cut my own hair (and yes, I'm totally confident about it). Just last week my co-worker was telling me how the salon around here has promotions every 1st Sunday of the month - either free cut or free coloring or whatever. I was like "oh, thanks for the info but I don't need that - I cut my own hair" she was HORROR STRUCK, like I told her I cut my own appendix out or something :agape:. she was like "no-no-no! you can't do that!! it will be uneven!" I took my clips out and let my hair down to show her. I could tell she couldn't find fault with it, but she said "still, you should not do that". I just shrugged and gave her the look I always give people in similar situations (and not just about cutting hair) the one that kind of says "oh, well, it's just crazy old me, you know" and smiled :).

Don't let people tell you what to do or make you feel bad about what you do especially when you are on the reasonable side!

QueenOfTheSkye
October 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
The only bits of my own hair I ever cut are my bangs, and recently I've been messing that up a lot and then I have to get someone else to even them out... Mostly I (and, I'm assuming, most other people) am afraid to mess it up and then have to either live with a botched haircut for x weeks/months, or suck it up and get someone to fix it for them and make it shorter.

Fairyty
July 27th, 2020, 03:07 AM
It depends on which type of hairstyle you wanted to have if something like fringe or bangs one can cut on themselves. unless I don't feel cutting my own hair, because some things should be left to the professionals. once I have tried cutting my own hair that ended up as a disaster as I'm not too professional to use the scissors properly. also to my knowledge why people see it as a different is because cutting one's own hair is an act of grief, disgrace, or even rebellion. totally excited to get my hair cut tomorrow.

LadyLongLocks
July 27th, 2020, 09:29 PM
I started cutting my bangs over 20 years ago, thats when I had bangs. I do trim my own hair length too since 2006. Nothing wrong with it at all.
I think certain short haircuts require a hairdresser. Long hair doesn't.

esfand
July 27th, 2020, 09:55 PM
I think it's because most people have their hair at lengths where it's difficult to do it yourself, so they cringe at the idea of doing such a thing themselves. On the other hand I don't think it's frowned upon to have family and friends do it for you.

Long hair is more forgiving when it comes to cutting a bit on your own because you don't have to reach the back of your head and try to "guess" around with scissors.

Jools69
July 28th, 2020, 12:29 AM
I think there are several reasons. Firstly, I think most people aren’t confident enough to cut their own hair, because they are worried that they may muck it up and would then need a ‘professional’ to fix. It would be an embarrassment for most people. Secondly, I think the industry itself propagates peer pressure in the media that to be well groomed and accepted into society, people need specific styles that are very difficult for most, if not all to do. Just like clothes, cars, technology, etc. companies use this to make money. Thirdly, it can be seen as a luxury that most can afford and if you don’t go, you then can be viewed as unable to afford what is considered a basic necessity.

For me, I don’t care what people think how I have and maintain my hair. As with Lady Long Locks said above, when I had a fringe/bangs I would trim it myself and was commended for doing a fairly good job. It was to stretch out my salon visits and to save money. However, it’s not the first time I took scissors to my hair. I recall at the age of 3, hearing my parents talk about cutting my long hair. I took scissors and cut a chunk out in the middle of my fringe/bangs and told my mother I didn’t need a haircut anymore. I remember her reply was, ‘You do need one now!’ :wail:

meepster
July 28th, 2020, 10:25 AM
It’s really hard to give yourself a neat short hairstyle. During the start of the COVID lockdowns, there were a whole lot of “COVID haircut” pictures circulating. This is what most people associate with the idea of cutting one’s own hair.

The only way to cut one’s own hair and have it look decent is if the hair is very long. Or if you’re giving yourself a buzz cut.

lapushka
July 28th, 2020, 11:40 AM
It’s really hard to give yourself a neat short hairstyle. During the start of the COVID lockdowns, there were a whole lot of “COVID haircut” pictures circulating. This is what most people associate with the idea of cutting one’s own hair.

The only way to cut one’s own hair and have it look decent is if the hair is very long. Or if you’re giving yourself a buzz cut.

I gave myself a bob as a teen. Just a 2-way mirror and some time and it evened out quite nicely! :D

I think it depends on your own handiness and willingness to research and do it right.

bparnell75
July 28th, 2020, 12:19 PM
I have always cut my own hair.....even from the time I was a teenager. I have worn bobs and pixies but I always cut it my self. I have had about 6 salon cuts in my life. Very few of which I liked. I have cut all my families hair and even the neighbors hair. I still cut mine and DH. If there is a taboo or stigma about it I never knew it existed.

ynne
July 28th, 2020, 12:50 PM

I'll have to politely disagree; I gave myself a pixie-length style several times some years ago. c: Even the first try was relatively okay (cutting from shoulder length), and it only got better from there. People assumed it was cut in a salon, so it was hopefully decent. It's a skill like any other, it just takes practice! My partner has a short haircut (kind of like men's side part haircut) and cuts it themselves, too, they only need me to double-check the back. We both did it with a bathroom mirror and a tiny handheld mirror, but I bet actual two-mirror setup would make it even easier.

meepster
July 28th, 2020, 07:50 PM
Y’all are talented. You don’t want to know what my self-haircuts looked like. :)

PallasAthena
July 28th, 2020, 08:14 PM
Two mirror set-ups are so great for self cuts! When I moved into my place in 2008 I was so happy to see that my bathroom had a second little adjustable mirror facing the big mirror and it has really made my hair cuts better and just fixing my hair in general better. Being able to see the back easily is so nice! I don't know how I did it before, I think with hand mirror.

lapushka
July 29th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Y’all are talented. You don’t want to know what my self-haircuts looked like. :)

Practice makes perfect. I am not going to sit here and tell you that my first attempt was immediately OK. It got a *lot* shorter than I had initially intended it to be. :lol: But... I got it done, and it saved me some money. As a teen, you don't just throw it around (not when you're older either ;)).

Bri-Chan
July 30th, 2020, 01:48 AM
I guess because it's something that our culture make people assume you actually need an hairdresser for. And I can't totally disagree. Obviously it depends on your hair, your talent and the cut itself, I'm cutting my own hair for years now, but some more complicated haircuts are hared to recreate. I mean, lets think about wavy hair, also 2a waves as mine, long hair and a blunt or U or V hemline. If my trim isn't that perfect, it will not show. But let's thinking about straight and layered hair. Like, very layered. Any error or imprecision will be more visible. A lot no-LHC people also use to thinner their lengths, because a blunt and superthick hemline it's not that likable, at least here were I live. I don't say people can't do it. I say not everyone can do it.
I personally started cutting my own hair when I decided to grow out my layers years ago, and I only cut like an inch everytime and I had (and I have) any will to go there and pay for a wash, a cut and a styling only for a straight inch or less. But I usually see an hairdresser when I want a bigger cut.

hennalonghair
July 30th, 2020, 03:01 AM
What? Because a blunt and super thick hemline is not that likeable?
Wow! Where? By who? And since when?
I must have missed something :shrug:

ponine
July 30th, 2020, 04:00 AM
I feel like people assume doing it yourself will result in a disaster. I guess it depends also on what people want. Blunt cut and simple bangs are something I'd assume anyone who is capable of using scissors can do. Layered cuts might be more difficult esp. with shorter hair. And layers are trendy, short hair is more practical for a lot of people.

I guess there might be some "diy hair=poor=bad" ideas with some people that would further pressure towards salons and being judgemental :shrug:

Bri-Chan
July 30th, 2020, 05:56 AM
What? Because a blunt and super thick hemline is not that likeable?
Wow! Where? By who? And since when?
I must have missed something :shrug:

Oh, I maybe didn't say that in the best way. In my personal experience, people often don't like the super blunt thick hemline. Here and in all the long hair website/pages yes, but in the everyday life , I saw, people avoid that kind of haircut because they don't like the ends looking that thick. Yes blunt and straight, but lighter. I hope it's more clearer now.
I mean, that's not my personal opinion, it's what I see people like and dislike, at least where I live.

Elizabeth E
July 30th, 2020, 06:37 AM
I think the longer your hair is and the less you intend to cut off, the easier it is. I trim my hair myself all the time and it always turns out very neat - have never had an issue :)

lapushka
July 30th, 2020, 06:43 AM
I guess because it's something that our culture make people assume you actually need an hairdresser for. And I can't totally disagree. Obviously it depends on your hair, your talent and the cut itself, I'm cutting my own hair for years now, but some more complicated haircuts are hared to recreate. I mean, lets think about wavy hair, also 2a waves as mine, long hair and a blunt or U or V hemline. If my trim isn't that perfect, it will not show. But let's thinking about straight and layered hair. Like, very layered. Any error or imprecision will be more visible. A lot no-LHC people also use to thinner their lengths, because a blunt and superthick hemline it's not that likable, at least here were I live. I don't say people can't do it. I say not everyone can do it.
I personally started cutting my own hair when I decided to grow out my layers years ago, and I only cut like an inch everytime and I had (and I have) any will to go there and pay for a wash, a cut and a styling only for a straight inch or less. But I usually see an hairdresser when I want a bigger cut.

Oh trust me a little "glitch" on my hair doesn't show one bit, so if it is even more textured, you're pretty safe. Watch this (I guess she was tired of being sick and tired of her hair LOL):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwNmZGFdlec&t=0s

Bri-Chan
July 30th, 2020, 08:06 AM
Is this thread broken? :confused:

Ok I can't see the #101 and #102 for now.

Edit: now it works.

lapushka, yes but your hair has some texture. I was more thinking about straight hair. I personally had those kind of haircut when I was in high schools and I used to wear my hair pin straight, I can imagine those layers cut wrong and very visible.
Oh, I follow Amber, I don't miss a video ahah . Yes, her hair looks fine with that cut.

EdG
July 30th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Is this thread broken? :confused:

Ok I can't see the #101 and #102 for now.The board's software has a long-standing bug which causes the last post not to show up until a subsequent post is made to the same thread. Then, both posts appear.

A lot of LHC'ers have encountered this bug. Its occurrence seems to be random.
Ed

Belgrade Beauty
July 30th, 2020, 09:41 AM
I think it's because people just assume that if they can't do it by themselves, I can't either. Also, it's a trend to spend money at salons of all kinds...You know, go for waxing, nails, hair etc..It shows you have money, and if you do it by yourself it must be because you're to poor or something. Also, most people can't do by themselves all the stylish stuff like highlights , ombre, balayage..Or cut layers and half moon hemline..And that's so 'IN' right now. I talked to a friend about hair the other day, and she was like: ' wow you know a lot on the subject'..Like it's weird that I do. I think its just a huge taboo to take care of hair in a way that we here on LHC do. We defy the established order that hairdressers are good people who know best and wouldn't do anything that's bad. It's their sole privilege to deal with hair. Like who am I to mess with the system and dye or cut my own hair and not pay 50$ every month. How dare I?

Natalia_A00
July 30th, 2020, 07:00 PM
Dyeing your hair at home is also a taboo, I'd say
If you know what you're doing, it doesn't have to be a disaster

Bri-Chan
July 31st, 2020, 02:17 AM
The board's software has a long-standing bug which causes the last post not to show up until a subsequent post is made to the same thread. Then, both posts appear.

A lot of LHC'ers have encountered this bug. Its occurrence seems to be random.
Ed

Oh I saw something similar going in other thread, but ut never affected me directly! Thanks for the explanation.

Belgrade Beauty
July 31st, 2020, 03:38 AM
Dyeing your hair at home is also a taboo, I'd say
If you know what you're doing, it doesn't have to be a disaster

If it's single color I don't see why would you even go to a hairdresser. I mean, my mom never had her hairdresser dye her hair. She always gives it to me or our neighbor to do it for her. She has pretty short hair so it's easy to do it right. I mean people go to a course to be a hairdresser. So I don't get why wouldn't I learn stuff I want to do from some good tutorial and eliminate the need for a hairdresser...

leayellena
August 4th, 2020, 01:32 AM
in this case I can only quote the movie/documentary thrive (http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M764572872/Thrive/If+a+story+doesn%27t+make+sense%2C+follow+the+mone y%21): if a story doesn't make sense follow the money.