PDA

View Full Version : Clove oil and hair growth

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Greetings, I started putting clove oil on the areas of my scalp where I have had thinning hair for the last 10 years and after two weeks of doing this, regular size hair started growing out.

Clove oil is very strong and should be used diluted with cooking oil and much caution should be taken. Even one drops worth should be good enough and left over night.

pepperpot
September 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us. Very interesting and promising.

Mythica
September 19th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I've used it for toothache, but never heard of using it for growing hair back!
Have you ever tried it on your eyebrows? If so, did it work there too?

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us. Very interesting and promising.My pleasure, this natural oil has so many curing properties that even colonial powers in the past tried to keep their monopoly over it.
Of course now a days big pharma and the money masters have kept us ignorant of it, but they cant stop the internet :)

Here is list of things that people have used it for
http://www.google.ca/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.earthclinic.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=pcH&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=site:earthclinic.com+%22clove+oil%22&pbx=1&oq=site:earthclinic.com+%22clove+oil%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3321l4225l0l4410l5l4l0l0l0l1l178l516l1.3l4l 0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=df36a59dfc595e91&biw=1309&bih=877

I've used it for toothache, but never heard of using it for growing hair back!
Have you ever tried it on your eyebrows? If so, did it work there too?I actually put some on last week for the dandruff I get there sometimes... a few days after some patches of dry skin came off, Im hoping it will make it better.

Note, do not get any in your eye, I read it can cause blindness!

Diamondbell
September 19th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Yes, watch out! This oil is very strong and really burns. Didn't it burn your scalp (I mean tingling sensation)?

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
In high concentrations it will feel like burning on the skin, but you can wash it off if its too intense. Be-careful not to get any on wounds because if it leaks into your blood, it will race your heart... not to worry too much though, it might even clean ones blood!

SarahKayfa
September 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'll bet you smelled awesome.

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
The smell is okay, ylang ylang oil has the same components of clove oil but in a lower potency and I mix that with lavender oil and a few drops of tea tree to kill the bacteria that causes odor in my armpits.

Kricket
September 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Definitely going to have to try this!!!

jojo
September 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Oil of cloves caused a tooth abcess and dentists do not advise using it. Not really something Id want to put on my hair, also it may darken hair too,

Mythica
September 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I actually put some on last week for the dandruff I get there sometimes... a few days after some patches of dry skin came off, Im hoping it will make it better.

Note, do not get any in your eye, I read it can cause blindness!

I used an old (washed) toothbrush for scrubbing the skin on my eyebrows gently with some warm water and some cleanser with peppermint oil mixed in, which got rid of the problem for me and I just don't have it anymore. I hope the clove oil works for you. :)
Oh yeah, I've had some on my fingers and rubbed my eye by accident--good thing it was just residue because that stuff is certainly strong!
I'll go ahead and brush a little on for a while. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Drynwhyl
September 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Hmh, I recently added a few drops in my scalp mister bottle (water, tea tree and lavander EOs, very soothing), can't do much harm can it :)

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I was thinking of making a mouth wash with this stuff, obviously in minute proportions and to spit it out after, as clove oil contains eugenol which kills mouth bacteria.

Once I put heavy concentrations on my feet, over a few days and after a couple of weeks, my feet started to shed the outer layer of skin in pieces, as a snake does. This oil is said to remove acne blemishes and possibly scares, so I used a bit on my face and I think I think it made a small difference in a few days. Im contemplating about if I should try a heavy concentration so that it acts like a skin peel but again this oil is not good for the liver and if lots gets observed (since the face has more open pours), it could be dangerous.

One should always try small amounts and see how your body responds to it. If you feel your heart rushing (like the time it went in my wounds and my blood was racing for over 10 minutes), then its too much in my opinion.

I highly doubt clove oil would effect the pigment of hair.

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Mythica I heard that some parasites live on the eye lashes of humans and feed there, if this stuff wasnt so strong I would line it around my eyelids but thats being too paranoid... clove oil is serious stuff, I think it could absorb easily through the ears also.

Hmh, I recently added a few drops in my scalp mister bottle (water, tea tree and lavander EOs, very soothing), can't do much harm can it I read that this oil kills mites, scabies and there larva in a 80% concentration left on the skin for 15 minutes. I plan to work up to a high concentration on my scalp soon and can imagine that it would disinfect/cleanse or rejuvenate the fatty lining under the scalp for hair to grow like before.

Anje
September 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Interesting. Do you find it numbing your scalp at all, or not at the concentrations you're using it?

gypsymoth
September 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Mmm I love the smell of cloves! I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

Blond On Blond
September 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Lush Cacas contain clove oil. I have no idea if it's the clove oil alone, but the smell of Caca is awsome! (yes, I am aware what "caca" means, lol).

ArashB
September 19th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Interesting. Do you find it numbing your scalp at all, or not at the concentrations you're using it?Not at all, in fact if you use enough it gives a feeling of utopia, clove oil is said to reduce or stop migraine headaches even.

Mythica
September 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Mythica I heard that some parasites live on the eye lashes of humans and feed there, if this stuff wasnt so strong I would line it around my eyelids but thats being too paranoid... clove oil is serious stuff, I think it could absorb easily through the ears also.

Hadn't heard of parasites around the eyelashes before, but I imagine that it happens; I haven't had that issue though. My problem with the eyebrows and the skin issues mostly revolved around what appeared to be a touch of dermatitis. But that's all gone now.
I've been putting it on lightly with a little paintbrush--so far, no flaking or adverse reaction whatsoever.

McFearless
September 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Oh no, why did I have to read this thread after I left out clove oil in a wholesale order I just purchased? I had such a feeling about it, I know I should of bought it. I will definately be ordering some in the near future though. I have a very sparse hairline that I am hoping to cure. Thanks for all the info.

swearnsue
September 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Not at all, in fact if you use enough it gives a feeling of utopia, clove oil is said to reduce or stop migraine headaches even.

You had me at utopia!:D

ladylovecraft
September 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Should I be using essential clove oil? I LOVE the smell of cloves so I definitely want to try this in my scalp concoction... anyone know where to buy it? :S

Mythica
September 20th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Should I be using essential clove oil? I LOVE the smell of cloves so I definitely want to try this in my scalp concoction... anyone know where to buy it? :S

I like Aura Cacia, even though I get the bulk of my EOs from Nature's Sunshine Products. Here's a link to the Aura Cacia site:
http://www.auracacia.com/products.php?ct=anpceoeo&cn=Clove+Bud
I've had great results with their EOs and they have a nice variety.
I like adding cloves to cinnamon, cardamom, and a little ylang ylang. Great for autumn. :)

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
Not at all, in fact if you use enough it gives a feeling of utopia, clove oil is said to reduce or stop migraine headaches even.

MIGRAINE RELIEF? I am always looking for new ways to get rid of migraines.

I was told to rinse with diluted clove oil when I had dry socket after having a tooth pulled. I recently used it againf or another tooth infection issue. Works like a charm but I have to really dilute it.

I got mine from a pharmacy, had to ask, it is the tiniest little glass bottle and was pretty expensive so I would not consider using it for anything else too quickly. I also dislike the smell of cloves (unless I am drinking cider or something). I dislike smelling like spices or food (like strawberry scented body spray, for example).

I am curious how one uses it for migraines. My migraine meds are very expensive and I only use them as a last resort.

Someone mentioned it for acne...at the risk of derailing this thread I will tell you I have found my personal cure for acne after all these years. I began using monistat for hair growth (doesn't work for me for that, btw, but keeps my scalp nice and clear) and my face is super sensitive but can also be very dry. I have long been searching for a moisturizer for my face that would not break me out. Well, I found aloe, but it is short lived (need to apply several times a day). I dilute my monistat at a 1:4 ratio and keep it in a hair dye bottle for easy application. I just squirt a dime size bit on my hand and use it as a face moisturizer and haven't had acne since! That was TWO MONTHS ago. I can use it under make-up, too, which is awesome because make-up also breaks me out despite buying the oil-free and all that. But I HAVE TO BUY the expensive name brand, the generic monistat creams (miconazole) all have mineral oil in them and do the opposite and break me out!

Back to clove oil, my oral surgeon had actually told me to get it or I would never have tried it for my tooth issues. I have never looked it up online before to see what all it can be used for, this I will do. I have to say, there are a lot of oils or products that claim to do so many things and I have tried a myriad over the years and am a huge skeptic of it all because they just don't work for me (like the monistat hair growth thing). I know everyone is different and YMMV.

Oksana
September 21st, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hmm very interesting, i bought a little bottle of clove oil a few weeks ago to help with tooth ache.

WaitingSoLong- - I have been using daktarin (uk monistat) on my chin area which is prone to spots and have had the same results as you. Daktarin does have mineral oil in the ingredients but luckily it doesn't seem to block my pores. :)

McFearless
September 21st, 2011, 07:22 AM
WaitingSoLong - the monistat trick sounds great and I really want to try it but I fear facial hair. Knowing my luck I'll grow a bear :p

ArashB
September 21st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Oh no, why did I have to read this thread after I left out clove oil in a wholesale order I just purchased? I had such a feeling about it, I know I should of bought it. I will definately be ordering some in the near future though. I have a very sparse hairline that I am hoping to cure. Thanks for all the info. Your welcome, I think some of my earlier hair thinning in life may have occurred because I was vitamin D deficient (as are a majority of people for their use of sun screens, inside living, and being away from the equator due to immigration) and this stopped my body from taking in Iron which is one cause of hair loss.

MIGRAINE RELIEF? I am always looking for new ways to get rid of migraines.

I got mine from a pharmacy, had to ask, it is the tiniest little glass bottle and was pretty expensive so I would not consider using it for anything else too quickly. I also dislike the smell of cloves (unless I am drinking cider or something). I dislike smelling like spices or food (like strawberry scented body spray, for example).

They sell 15ml bottles here at an organic food store for $9 and since its so strong and should be used diluted, a small bottle will have lots of use out of it.

I am curious how one uses it for migraines. My migraine meds are very expensive and I only use them as a last resort.
The earthclinic.com remedy site should have someone who has tried this and will point out how they applied it.. but be cautious to start out small if you are going to take it internally.

Someone mentioned it for acne...at the risk of derailing this thread I will tell you I have found my personal cure for acne after all these years. I began using monistat for hair growth (doesn't work for me for that, btw, but keeps my scalp nice and clear) and my face is super sensitive but can also be very dry. I have long been searching for a moisturizer for my face that would not break me out. Well, I found aloe, but it is short lived (need to apply several times a day). I dilute my monistat at a 1:4 ratio and keep it in a hair dye bottle for easy application. I just squirt a dime size bit on my hand and use it as a face moisturizer and haven't had acne since! That was TWO MONTHS ago. I can use it under make-up, too, which is awesome because make-up also breaks me out despite buying the oil-free and all that. But I HAVE TO BUY the expensive name brand, the generic monistat creams (miconazole) all have mineral oil in them and do the opposite and break me out!
Who knows what could be in these man made products, personally I would never trust "western" products, medicine, or the word of doctors unless I do research myself first.

Back to clove oil, my oral surgeon had actually told me to get it or I would never have tried it for my tooth issues. I have never looked it up online before to see what all it can be used for, this I will do. I have to say, there are a lot of oils or products that claim to do so many things and I have tried a myriad over the years and am a huge skeptic of it all because they just don't work for me (like the monistat hair growth thing). I know everyone is different and YMMV.
Big Pharmaceutical companies find natural remedies in the world and try to make drugs out them, even if a doctor knows of herbal a remedy, he/she wont tell you at the risk of losing their medical license. The system is corrupt and all about money Im afraid... any condition we get should have an underlying cause and doing your own research is the best thing to do to being healthy

WaitingSoLong
September 22nd, 2011, 05:15 AM
WaitingSoLong - the monistat trick sounds great and I really want to try it but I fear facial hair. Knowing my luck I'll grow a bear :p

I shave my face. :shrug: I have for years. I grow dark hairs from my chin and the easiest way to keep them at bay is shaving. Plucking is too time consuming. I shave my face when I shave my armpits. (I also shave my arms from time to time) Monistat doesn't help my hair growth anyway that I have ever been able to tell. The hair on my legs grows twice as fast as the hair on my head and I don't use Monistat on my legs (ironically, I shave my legs least of all, especially in the winter I will not shave them at all) I have tried many things (carefully, one at a time, documenting growth each week or month) and my head-hair refuses to grow faster than the 1/2" per month and sometimes less (1/4"). I am still in the Monistat experiment but it has been two months and no change yet.

As for modern medicine being dictated by $$, that is a well known fact and a sad one. Just like insurance companies don't give a crap about your health, it is a $ making business like any other. But I will step away from the soap box because this is a tender subject with me.

I take all advice, even from a doctor, with care and lots of research. I did look up clove oil, by the way, and found little to nothing on clove and migraines except a page or two that mentioned it as a possible help but with no "how to" or anything else for that matter. I did find some negative info on taking clove internally. I will be passing on that potential migraine method.

ArashB
September 22nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
After reading things like the following

Therefore extra options are that you might also want to try are clove oil, methylene blue low dose naltrexone.
Clove oil(5% clove oil mixed with 95% vodka), another one of Ted from Bangkok's therapies, can be used as a spray or wipe and must be applied to all joints -- especially the backbone. Clove oil is an anti-viral and when used like this acts to chase out any viruses hiding in the bone fluids. Thus clove oil can penetrate the blood/bone barrier to remove these viruses -- which is why clove oil is useful against viruses like Epstein Barr, Herpes and even cancer which also hide in the bone fluids -- as is the case with cancer, which is able to suddenly metastase and re-attack the body years later after remission. But when these viruses are forced out into the blood system, they will be attacked and removed by any strong and healthy immune system.
Rub the clove oil on and around every major joint -- elbows, shoulder, knees and ankles. Most important, rub this oil all the way up the backbone and neck. Apply the clove oil twice a day like this. It feels hot. This will drive out any existing viruses hiding in the bone fluids and the anti-oxidant therapy for the liver will boost and help the immune system to fight and remove the virus in the blood.

Last week I took a large pot of vegetable stew I had made and put around 7-10 drops of clove oil in it, amazingly the it dominated not only the smell of it all but also the taste. my delicious food didnt taste so great after but I ate it all like medicine for a total of four servings coupled with my rice. Initially I ate it cautiously but I had no adverse effects.

ArashB
September 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Getting clove oil directly into the blood through a wound and digesting it could be different... the liver expels 95% of it after a day from what I read once (may have not been a reliable source) so it shouldnt accumulate.

Mythica
September 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I put it on my brows and there doesn't seem to be any new growth, but I'm pleased to report that the eyebrow hair looks quite happy. :cheese:

PixxieStix
September 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Oil of cloves caused a tooth abcess and dentists do not advise using it. Not really something Id want to put on my hair, also it may darken hair too,

On the contrary, clove oil is very often mixed with ZOE (zinc oxide eugenal) to place as a base layer between dentin that is thin and very close to the pulp (like when a large cavity needs to be filled) and the filling material put on top, to 1) stimulate secondary dentin growth and 2) sooth the pulp, which it does phenomenally well. It cannot cause a tooth abscess, those are generally from teeth that had a cavity go too long and the pulp got infected, leading to a periapical abcess and, sadly, either root canal with crown or extraction.

I may have to give this a try, I want my hairs to grow in faster NOW, lol!

Druid of Alba
September 30th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hey, I've head the same about cinnamon oil. I've done cinnamon oil scalp massages, I warmed up some coconut oil and added a few drops of cinnamon oil and massaged it into my scalp, left it for half an hour or so and washed it out. I've heard that repeated use of cinnamon oil can speed and hair growth, prevent balding, and encourage new hair growth. I'd imagine since cinnamon and clove are similar, that they would have very similar effects. I'll try doing a clove oiling next time, I love the scent of cloves so much!

Mythica
October 1st, 2011, 02:11 AM
Oh, brilliant! Now I want to try cinnamon AND cloves. Just got my very first jar of coconut oil, so this should be interesting. :D

Purdy Bear
October 1st, 2011, 02:21 AM
A pharmacist told me that repeated use of Clove oil on the gums will eventually kill the nerves off. I presume that it would do the same for scalp hair and thus lead to patching! Tannin in tea bags has the same effect if sucked so I wonder if it would be a safer version for the hair.

Gulbahar
October 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM
A pharmacist told me that repeated use of Clove oil on the gums will eventually kill the nerves off. I presume that it would do the same for scalp hair and thus lead to patching! Tannin in tea bags has the same effect if sucked so I wonder if it would be a safer version for the hair.
Well, you really shouldn't use pure clove oil on your skin anyway. It's one of the strongest essential oils and can cause severe burns. As Arash said it's always advisable to mix a few drops with a carrier oil and use that. In dentistry they apparently use higher concentrations but only if it's for medical reasons, not as a daily thing.

ArashB
October 1st, 2011, 04:49 AM
Being male I shaved my head around the time I started experimenting and as my hair grew in unison every half centimeter, I would notice thick regular size hairs sprouting in my thinning scalp areas (I never checked the back end/crown).
I shaved my head again for the 3rd time recently and I still see new, about 10+, thick sized hairs sprouting in the front end.

Now I just put 3 drops in the top areas and at this point dont care about any consequences as the results have been so good.

The eyebrow dandruff I get is only sometimes... but after putting a bit of clove oil on, the next day some large patches of dry sin came off. I thought that may have fixed it but some days after I had flaking dandruff skin there again, so the last time I put a very high, burning concentration on for 10 minutes and put my head under the lower shower faucet to wash it off with soap (not getting it in my eye [important!!]). That was last week and I think it may have fixed it.

I took some pictures of my head, Ill definitely update this thread when the end results are quite noticeable.

Mythica
October 2nd, 2011, 05:13 AM
Sounds good. It'll be interesting to see the results.