PDA

View Full Version : Noob Ingredient Question

Alaia
September 19th, 2011, 03:38 AM
I know I'm not a newbie but I have a noob question about shampoo and conditioner my sister uses.

John Frieda Radiant Red shampoo and conditioners: do they have protein in them?

My sister's hair has gone brittle, crunchy, dry and snaps off easily. It sounds like a protein overload to me but I don't know if her products actually contain protein.

Do they?

Ingredients:

Radiant Red Shampoo:
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin, Sodium Sulfate, Laureth 4, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Laureth 16, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Benzophenone 4, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, PPG 9, Lauric Acid, Polyquaternium 10, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Punica Granatum Extract, Prunus Domestica Fruit Extract, Disodium Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Phosphate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Methychloroisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Caramel, Blue 1, Red 4, Red 33

Radiant Red Conditioner:
Water; Glycerin; Cetearyl Alcohol; Cyclopentasiloxane; Behentrimonium Chloride; Dimethiconol; Amodimethicone; Benzophenone-4; Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate; Tocopheryl Acetate; Retinyl Palmitate; Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate; Punica Granatum Extract (Pomegranate Extract); Prunus Domestica Fruit Extract (Plum Extract); PEG-14M; Trideceth-12; Cetrimonium Chloride; Propylene Glycol; Lecithin; Alcohol; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone; Fragrance; Caramel; Red 4; Red 33

GRU
September 19th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I know I'm not a newbie but I have a noob question about shampoo and conditioner my sister uses.

John Frieda Radiant Red shampoo and conditioners: do they have protein in them?

My sister's hair has gone brittle, crunchy, dry and snaps off easily. It sounds like a protein overload to me but I don't know if her products actually contain protein.

Do they?

Ingredients:

Radiant Red Shampoo:
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerin, Sodium Sulfate, Laureth 4, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Laureth 16, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Benzophenone 4, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, PPG 9, Lauric Acid, Polyquaternium 10, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Punica Granatum Extract, Prunus Domestica Fruit Extract, Disodium Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Phosphate, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Methychloroisothiazolinone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Caramel, Blue 1, Red 4, Red 33

Radiant Red Conditioner:
Water; Glycerin; Cetearyl Alcohol; Cyclopentasiloxane; Behentrimonium Chloride; Dimethiconol; Amodimethicone; Benzophenone-4; Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate; Tocopheryl Acetate; Retinyl Palmitate; Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate; Punica Granatum Extract (Pomegranate Extract); Prunus Domestica Fruit Extract (Plum Extract); PEG-14M; Trideceth-12; Cetrimonium Chloride; Propylene Glycol; Lecithin; Alcohol; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone; Fragrance; Caramel; Red 4; Red 33

I don't see any protein ingredients, but that conditioner has THREE silicones... surprised her hair doesn't slide right off her head with that kind of slip! :lol:

And the shampoo is CHOCK full of sulfates! :blueeek:

Does she blow-dry or heat style (flat iron or curling iron)?

Alaia
September 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Yeah I noticed all the cones, but up til now her hair seemed to like them, so I didn't think anything of it (mind you, her hair is the complete opposite of mine so I may not be able to recommend stuff properly to her... hers is curly and course, mine is straight and fine).

There ARE a lot of sulphates. Maybe her hair is just dry.

As far as I know she blowdries occasionally on the cold setting, and straightens occasionally (though she doesn't own straighteners so she borrows them... she's at boarding school). I didn't think she did it enough to cause too much damage but maybe she does.

Her worst sin is wearing it 24/7 in a ponytail. And I mean 24/7, she sometimes doesn't take it out to wash it and if she does then as soon as she's done it's back in a ponytail. I'm trying to convince her to do something else. Her hair is massively thick. I measured it and it comes in at 5.5" circumference. She hates it down because it's trying to be curly and it's thick so she still gets triangle-head at BSL... hence the ponytails.

Maybe I will just send her a clarifying shampoo and a moisturising conditioner and see if that helps.

Safira
September 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I think that all three sulfates are too harsh.. And conditioner has silicones.. I wouldn´t wash my hair with those. Maybe you could show her some gentler shampoos and good conditioners?

Anje
September 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I don't see any obvious proteins, except whatever might or might not be in those plant extracts.

Tons of sulfates in the shampoo. Also, I personally find silicones (probably cyclopentasiloxane is the culprit, but I haven't managed to isolate it yet) to be drying, which might contribute. Furthermore, maybe her hair doesn't like humectants? There's a lot of glycerine in that conditioner.

luxepiggy
September 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
No proteins, but I'd put my money on glycerin as the culprit. It's high on both ingredients lists, and my hair goes tacky and straw-like with too much glycerin.

caiti42
September 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM
My hair feels dry just looking at all that detergent in the shampoo!

Alaia
September 20th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the responses! :flowers:

I think I'm going to assume it's the glycerin and the sulphate overload.

I'll tell her to get different products, I think.