PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Like a Length Fraud; or, Shorties Unite!

dorothea-brooke
July 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
So, I know I'm short (5'2"), but I'm not THAT short...! :p Is anybody else at BSL at only 24", like me? I keep measuring and re-measuring, and tugging down my bra strap so it's as far down my back as it will go ;), and it still seems that I am fully BSL (covering the strap) and really only 24". But 24" still seems pretty short to me. Anyone else in this position? Kind of a silly question, but I do feel kind of like a fraud when others complain that they're not at BSL even though they're 27". Shorties, unite?

dorothea

peachy.pudding
July 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
WOW THATS GREAT!! For me bsl is 28inches or 30 not sure but i class it as the bottom of bsl, i am not to tall either but my torso is quite long

spidermom
July 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM
24.5 inches was armpit length on me.

Florida Mom
July 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'm also 5'2" and have been past BSL for a few months. Now I have about an inch to waist and my hair (as of two minutes ago!) is at 26 3/4.

But I know what you mean.... others have to wait longer to reach the milestones. I guess it really is one perk of being short (one of the few) LOL

Altocumulus
July 1st, 2008, 12:06 PM
LOL, I'm a shorty too. I haven't measured BSL, but waist is 29-30" on me, and I'm 5'2".

TyagoN
July 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM
Everyone's built different, so if that's what you measure, that's what it is. Don't worry about it, because some people have a short torso and longer legs at their own height, and others have the reverse. We all happen to have our own unique builds, and it makes us special, yes?

Marcipangris
July 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hey, good point-- that means I'll get to BSL sooner (I am 5'2"). Plus short people with long hair look cute! :)

Katze
July 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
you are indeed lucky!

I've been waiting for 'true BSL' (and not just the longest tapered ends) for the whole time I've been here. BSL will be 27", waist 30". I'm 5ft6in but have a big head and wide shoulders, lol. Hopefully 27 by the end of the summer...

I like the idea of body milestones; what's long on some people (for example kids!) really isn't that long on others, but the RELATIVE length is interesting to compare.

dorothea-brooke
July 1st, 2008, 12:21 PM
This is so funny -- I am clearly such a natural pessimist, cause my thinking was, "Ooo, I'm at BSL, let's measure!" and then was disappointed that it was only 24".... Clearly I need to be thinking the other way around: "Ooo, I'm already at BSL so fast, at only 24"!"

Thanks for helping me see the bright side! :flower:

Shortly, yet longer-hairedly, yours,
dorothea

lora410
July 1st, 2008, 12:41 PM
You ladies are lucky. Althought bsl on me is about 24" waist is 30" and hip is 33" blahhhh

Kiraela
July 1st, 2008, 12:59 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 5'1... and waist was 25"... I think it's odd sometimes when I see someone mention that they're at hip at 34" or so... since that is tailbone on me! I guess it's good, because I have shorter-in-numbers hair, that looks longer. At the same time, though, it still feels shortish.

Belisama
July 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
*chuckles* I am just over 5'3" and one of the few benefits of being short is reaching the hair milestones before all those long-legged amazon goddesses. I can only reach the bottom two shelves of my 4-shelf kitchen cupboards, I fall between petite and normal sizes so pants are either too long or too short, and I have to stand on tiptoes to kiss my boyfriend who is 14 inches taller than me, but I will reach hips and then tail bone and down to classic and knee quicker than those vertically gifted. :cheese: I consider it a fair payoff. ;)

ladystar
July 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
I am 5 feet, at 27" 2 more inches to waist which is 29". Its funny how everyone is different. BSL to waist Feels like forever!!!

chainedangel
July 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
hehe. . . I'm 4'11" so 36 inches is already past tailbone for me. Who cares if I can't reach the soup in the back of the lowest shelf in the cupboard without a chair? I can sit on my hair!

chrissy-b
July 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
I'm 5'5'' and BSL is 24 inches on me too. Waist is about 30'' and hip is 32''. :cheese:

dorothea-brooke
July 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
So another good thing about this thread ... I've just been able to update my length goals based on my shortness. :D Check out my new sig! It all seems much more achievable now.... :cheese:

dorothea

Delenn
July 1st, 2008, 02:01 PM
I never measure. :)

FrannyG
July 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Dorothea, you are cracking me up! :lol: I'm happy that you've accepted that the numbers are different for everyone, and that it's the milestone that counts.

The bottom line is, congratulations on reaching BSL! :happydance: We'll soon be celebrating waist!!!

wonderlywroughte
July 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm 4'8", BSL was 23 inches on me. :heart: Waist was 26 inches, tailbone was 33, and classic was 39. I just re-measured these landmarks. It amuses me a little! Man, I am short! :D

Eireann
July 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm 5'1", and I don't measure because (a) it's different every time (I can't get the hang of it) and (b) it's too discouraging when everyone else's hair is so much longer in inches. I'd rather take advantage of my shortness and focus on the body-part milestones! Last time I measured it was between APL and BSL, and I think only 19 inches or so.

Paniscus
July 1st, 2008, 02:42 PM
I'm close to 5'4" and currently I'm around 26" and consider myeslf in the BSL range...inching my way to waist. Waist on me is around 28"!!

I think even with the height variable, you also have to factor in many other body variables such as long waisted, short neck, big head :lol: etc.

Like FrannyG and Eireann said, I don't necessarily look at the numbers or compare, I'm more into the qualitative aspect instead: APL, BSL, waist etc. It's easier to get happy about a milestone by doing that instead of looking at the numbers. So I'll second the *Congrats* on reaching BSL!!

FrannyG
July 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I'm close to 5'4" and currently I'm around 26" and consider myeslf in the BSL range...inching my way to waist. Waist on me is around 28"!!

I think even with the height variable, you also have to factor in many other body variables such as long waisted, short neck, big head :lol: etc.

Like FrannyG and Eireann said, I don't necessarily look at the numbers or compare, I'm more into the qualitative aspect instead: APL, BSL, waist etc. It's easier to get happy about a milestone by doing that instead of looking at the numbers. So I'll second the *Congrats* on reaching BSL!!

I still enjoy having the numbers to look at each month along the way though! :wink:

Anje
July 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm not short -- I'm 5'7". But, BSL was probably about 25" on me, waist was 30", and hip was 33". The joys of a short torso.

My rear's kinda big (OK, it's humongous), though, and I'm not quite sure where tailbone is (36-37ish) and classic is about 45". Knee will take forever.

truepeacenik
July 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
being short, I don't often care about the numbers. "Landmarks" are far more important to me.
Long is based on others' perceptions as well as our own, and as a shortie, I got to the point where others comment much faster.

Oskimosa
July 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm 5'5" and BSL is 25.5 for me. But I have a BIG forehead, so maybe that gives me a shorter measurement than other 5'5"-ers because the hair just starts later. Hehe. But I think I have a real short torso. And I just figured out while reading this thread that my goal is actually hip. I had pictured hip as longer, I dont know why. It doesn't matter anyhow, my waist is so short that if not for it being smaller than my hips it would just look like my boobs merge with other stuff... I dont know maybe it's like a 3 inch difference in length.

Aisha25
July 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm 4'8", BSL was 23 inches on me. :heart: Waist was 26 inches, tailbone was 33, and classic was 39. I just re-measured these landmarks. It amuses me a little! Man, I am short! :D
Hey hehe I am 4'8" too:D Nice to see another woman my height.

paradoxx
July 2nd, 2008, 03:12 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I'm 5'4", but I'm built with a short torso and long legs. Because of this, waist on me was at about 29 inches. By 34 inches, I should be at hip. :shrug:

tiny_teesha
July 2nd, 2008, 06:20 AM
I'm 5 flat, and my hair is definitely waist at 29"
I can't remember what my BSL measurement was i think it was 26" or so. :)
Its good in a way, it means that the hair reaches your goals faster!

eta- actually i'm 4'10" my friend informed me recently!!!

LadyMoon11
July 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I am a shorty with a long torso. I am barely over 5'.
Waist is 28-29" on me. I am at 32.5" or SO..... I really am not good at producing exact measurements with my hair. I say Give or Take a half inch, so I am somewhere between 32 and 33" and ALMOST at hip. I'll do a micro trim soon, so probably in a month or so I will be at hip, and approx 33". :D

sweetbluesky
January 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Same here, I am 5'9'' and 23 inches is BSL on me, but waist is 7 inches away...a whole year!! :-(

Presto
January 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
As a consolation for those with a long BSL to waist journey, you can insert "MBL" or mid-back level. :)
I am just coming out of MBL, my longest bits touch waist at just over 29". So I had to claim it as my current length.
I am both short and a 3a curly, so I am doubly an imposter. I only look maybe BSL. But when it is wet or I pull on it, voila! Waist!
Also, I've been here long enough to see so many other long hairs, that mine just plain seems short by comparison. But all the time it is getting stuck in new places and surprising me with how long it's getting.

rymorg2
January 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm 5'7" with a short torso too....BSL is right around 25-26" on me, but waist is only 28-29". It's from there to classic that's long.....

kdaniels8811
January 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Sigh... I am between APL and BSL at 20.5" ... and thought I was doing well! I have many inches to go to reach goal. But my hair is healthier than it has ever been - I am doing a SMT right this minute ... so my goal of 30" may not be impossible as I thought. And I am 50+ so not "supposed" to wear my hair long but the heck with it, I love my hair long and will keep it this way. So I am a shortie, too! Shorties, unite!

leilamarie79
January 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm 5' even, and I just measured. Waist is 30" on me. Guess that makes BSL pretty short, too. I feel for you. I am trying to focus more on where the hair hits me on my body as opposed to the actual length. And any time it feels especially short (it's pretty wavy), I can just wet it down and feel better about my length (it's below my shoulders in the back when wet).

squiggyflop
January 21st, 2009, 03:41 PM
my hair was bsl at 24 inches its not that uncommon to have a short bsl.. im 5'6"
bsl=24
waist=29
hip=31-32
tailbone= 39
classic=45

yup ive got a shortish torso.. my inseam is like 33 inches.. so i guess ive got weird proportions

wow my hips come up high and are long.. 7 inches until i hit tailbone wet..

rags
January 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm 5'7" but my BSL (the bottom of the strap) is 25". I have an extremely short torso, but a 35" inseam. If I can get past waist, it will be a very long journey to classic!

BlackfootHair
January 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
So, I know I'm short (5'2"), but I'm not THAT short...! :p Is anybody else at BSL at only 24", like me? I keep measuring and re-measuring, and tugging down my bra strap so it's as far down my back as it will go ;), and it still seems that I am fully BSL (covering the strap) and really only 24". But 24" still seems pretty short to me. Anyone else in this position? Kind of a silly question, but I do feel kind of like a fraud when others complain that they're not at BSL even though they're 27". Shorties, unite?

dorothea

Hehe, you are lucky! You get long hair faster! :)

Darkhorse1
January 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm 5'6, but hip length for me is 32 inches! Why? I have absolutely NO torso. I'm all leg ;) 24 inches for me was just above BSL. Sad huh? You can have height, but no torso, or no height and a torso ;)

Darkhorse1
January 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
squiggy! We're the same! My inseam is 32/33 as well!! Your measurements for your hair lengths are identical to mine! :D And we're the same height. :D

squiggyflop
January 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM
squiggy! We're the same! My inseam is 32/33 as well!! Your measurements for your hair lengths are identical to mine! :D And we're the same height. :D
weird.. :) hehe.. except i dont look like im all legs.. i just look like im oddly proportioned..

EvaSimone
January 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
I think BSL was around 24" on me. 28" put me solidly at waist and 31" should see me at hip.

Sometimes I get bummed out that technically my waist length is really a typical BSL length but most of the time I am just happy that I am reaching milestones faster! :cheer:

Moiraine
January 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM
I am 5'2" as well and as you can see in my av at 26" I don't have many inches to go to get to waist. I am very short-waisted. But all us l'il gals need to remember is that it will be that much longer to reach hip, tailbone and beyond (if you are built like me with no torso but most of my total height is mostly below the waist. Guess in the final run it all evens out in the end. 26" of hair is still 26" wherever it measures out on us:hifive:

Darian Moone
January 21st, 2009, 11:47 PM
Another shorty here! :)

I'm 5'3" and 23/24 inches is safely BSL for me, and I hit waist at 27 inches, a good solid waist at 28 inches. Actually, I'm glad to be short and not have to wait so long to hit the "body milestones". I'm impatient I suppose.

RancheroTheBee
January 22nd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I'm 5'2", but my hair is also short. :p Just like best friends, my hair and I do everything together (get dry, turn red, refuse to grow...)

Linda K
January 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm 5'2", but my hair is also short. :p Just like best friends, my hair and I do everything together (get dry, turn red, refuse to grow...)

First off: Welcome RTB! I love your humor! :D
I'm still wondering about some serious trim/cutting (who said that!) but at 50+ I'm impatient for my hair to grow while I'm still capable of taking care of it and fixing it so to speak. But then there's healthy ... :confused:

Are any of you currently taking any supplement to boost that growth??? I'm about 5 mouse clicks from ordering some ...

lora410
January 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
I am 5'9 and BSL was 24" for me. Wiast is 29" I don't think my toro is very short either :p

sneakybea
January 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
See, I have the opposite problem. I'm only five foot three, and my hair is definitely waist, but it measures 34 inches from the hairline. I didn't think I was so long waisted; maybe my forehead is just low?
Or maybe it's just my big ol' head!

CrystalStar
January 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Heeheee glad to know there are lot's of shorties here :p At 24 inches (I estimated when filling in my profile) I've just hit BSL, a goal my mum told me would be impossible to reach because her hair wouldn't grow past shoulder length :)

Pixna
January 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
When my hair used to be long, I believe I hit waist length at about 29". I'm only 5 feet. I think going by body parts is more authentic/accurate than measuring by inches, since what is BSL for a tall person might be floor length for me! :p

venividibxtchy
January 22nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
LOL, I'm a shorty too. I haven't measured BSL, but waist is 29-30" on me, and I'm 5'2".

I'm 5'1/5'1.5 and my waist is 29-30", too.

MunchkinBubble
January 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Shorty here! I'm also 5'2". I'm at 22" right now, but I don't feel like I'm only 2" away from BSL - it feels like longer. I'm guessing I'll be at 25 or 26" before I reach that. But it is cool having our hair look longer than it is because of our stature!

Celtica
January 24th, 2009, 03:21 AM
4'11" here, Tailbone is around 32-33in on me, at 34in I'm at tailbone, depending on whether my hair is waving more or less on any particular day it goes about an inch below at longest. Sometimes it seems to eat up a little length with waves and at TB exactly, others it's just below TB and straighter.

MrsGuther
January 24th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I am about 6 feet tall... so bra strap length is WAY longer than that for me, unfortunately. But I'm letting my hair grow until it gets to classic or terminal (whichever comes first!). I've always wondered how it feels to be short. I've been about this height since before I was a teenager!

Pixna
January 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I am about 6 feet tall... so bra strap length is WAY longer than that for me, unfortunately. But I'm letting my hair grow until it gets to classic or terminal (whichever comes first!). I've always wondered how it feels to be short. I've been about this height since before I was a teenager!

That's funny, MrsGuther, because I've always wondered what it would be like to be tall!! I think it would be great to be the tallest person in the room and get noticed, rather than be the shortest and feel invisible.

How long did it take you to get from your pixie to your current length? Do you have any inspiring photos showing your progress? Being so tall, where does your current length reach on your back?

Speckla
January 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I'll hit BSL at 26" or 27". I'm 5'1" but long necked and short bodied.
________
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

Heavenly Locks
January 25th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I'm a shortie :) 5'2" and my hair is BSL measuring 24 inches.

Rapunzelwannabe
January 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
hehe. . . I'm 4'11" so 36 inches is already past tailbone for me. Who cares if I can't reach the soup in the back of the lowest shelf in the cupboard without a chair? I can sit on my hair!

Lmao! I'm 5' even and I get poked fun of at work for not being able to reach the top rows of the glass rack- I'll have to use that line when I hit tailbone!

Myrrh
January 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Sometimes I wish I was short. I'm 6', and I'm at almost BSL and 21". So it's going to take forever to grow out down to my hips :(

kam984420
January 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Sometimes I wish I was short. I'm 6', and I'm at almost BSL and 21". So it's going to take forever to grow out down to my hips :(

not really. If you're already 21 inches and hip is 35 inches, you only have 14 inches to go. You should be hip within the next 2 and a half years. 2 and a half years will fly by. :cheese:

CatScratchDance
January 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I'm 4'1'' and BSL is at 24'' for me. Only 4 more inches until waist for me.

tiny_teesha
January 26th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Myrrh- depends how fast your hair grows. Average is half an inch to an inch, so if you grow and inch it would be the same rate as I growing only less then half an inch!