PDA

View Full Version : Ren Faire Braid Pictures & Question

Yame
September 18th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I went to my local Ren Faire today as a performer. I had seen some Ren Faire braid threads on here and decided I should give this a shot. My plan was to do it after my performance, but my time slot got moved to later so I figured I should do the braids first to kill time, and then perform with them on.

Here are some photos:

The process:
http://i.imgur.com/Ga06p.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tzAnI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tqA4R.jpg

Finished product:
http://i.imgur.com/97gKe.jpg

Now, the fun part... undoing the braids:
http://i.imgur.com/UIeTr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jqc3E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FSbDQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kPr99.jpg

I'm loving the braid waves! I wish they could last on my hair...

Just thought I should share these photos with you guys. Read further for the question.

Now, one thing I forgot to do was tell the lady braiding my hair that I didn't want any product on my hair... because I just washed it yesterday, and I only wash once a week... so at the end she sprayed it with hair spray to hold it together. It's not a big deal or anything, obviously it's my fault for not telling her not to do it. But I wonder what I should do now? After undoing the braids I am realizing this product doesn't feel too heavy or anything. Maybe I should just leave my hair be until wash day? It will be in a bun until then, anyway... or, do you think that would be bad for my hair and I should wash it by tomorrow?

Gumball
September 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM
That's incredible! The braider did a truly amazing job on your hair. It's so neat and tidy, and the accents, both braid-wise and floral, make the whole thing pop. :thumbsup: :thud:

I doubt you'd be in too much of a dilemma if you waited until tomorrow to wash, but in the end it would be your choice. I probably would, as the feel of having something in my hair would likely get to me after a while.

You said you could get your hair braided because your performance time slot was pushed back. How did your performance go? :)

cindy58
September 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM
The braids are beautiful and so are you! Looks like you had fun!

I wouldn't worry too much about the hairspray before your next wash if your hair feels OK in the meantime.

lpsqt60
September 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Your hair and that braid are so pretty thank you for sharing!:o Honestly, there are many nights that I have gone to bed with hairspray in my hair and just wet my hands and run my fingers through it to reactivate it for my morning work bun (I have a lot of baby bird hairs) and I've never had a problem. Hell, I've even oiled up my hair until it was dripping oil planning to wash it out in the evening and said oh well, and slept on it and went to work with my hair like that in a bun for two days (I'm lazy). I just said I had washed my hair and it hadn't dried yet, hence the perpetually wet look, wink wink! No worries your hair is beautiful and as long as it feels ok to you don't worry about it.

embee
September 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
That sure is a pretty updo! I think I would have left it in as long as possible. :)

I've not used any spray in so many years that I hesitate to suggest anything.

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM
That is one of the most beautiful braids that I have ever seen!

lindaton
September 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
You and the braids are so pretty. I guess someone already said that huh?

skyblue
September 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM
wow! Beautiful! And it's so flattering on you!

longhairedlady
September 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Your eye makeup is perfect and so is the hairstyle! :) I would leave the product in as long as it is not causing tangles. :)

Yame
September 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Thank you all!

Yes, I wanted to leave them in longer too possibly even sleep in them and undo them in the morning (to wear the braid waves to work tomorrow), but they were very tight and the pins were beginning to bother me, so I had to take them out.

I did have them on all afternoon though, so many people saw them and took photos (one little boy even mistook me for the Ren Faire princess), and I took so many of my own photos for "documentation" that I figured, now I am home and no one else will see me anyway, I might as well!

The performance went well. Since the time slot got moved to later though, it turns out the sun was facing our stage at the new time so it was a bit tough to dance like that but you make do with what you have. I already posted the video if you want to see, here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZID2krxrxU&feature=channel_video_title

longhairedlady
September 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I wish I could dance like that that! :) You are really talented!

Yozhik
September 18th, 2011, 07:04 PM
That's an absolutely beautiful hairdo.

I really enjoyed watching your video, too. :flower:

Chetanlaiho
September 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Awesome hairstyle, make-up and dance, amazing all around ^_^

Also your hair looks (envy-invoking) thick for a ii! (technically I'm on the slightly higher scale of ii but all my hair in one braid is about as thick as your half-up braid xD)

Yame
September 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks to all who watched/complimented the dancing.

Awesome hairstyle, make-up and dance, amazing all around ^_^

Also your hair looks (envy-invoking) thick for a ii! (technically I'm on the slightly higher scale of ii but all my hair in one braid is about as thick as your half-up braid xD)
Really? I was a little self-conscious about the wimpy little braid on the bottom and regretted not choosing a one-braid or a braided bun style that would look thicker. I mean, what she did looks really wonderful and intricate but I wasn't sure it was flattering *on me* and was scared that it might make my hair look thin. Not that there is anything wrong with thin hair, let me add... I've seen enviable hair that is much thinner than mine, but some styles are just more flattering than others, you know?

But to be clear, my hair is on the thicker end of ii for sure, but I have been a bit hesitant to label it an ii/iii because I am unsure if I've been accurate in my measurements. I am fairly certain it's somewhere between 3.5'' and 4'', but on the other hand, I shed so much hair that I fear I will be losing a lot of it so I don't want to get attached by labeling myself an ii/iii. I'm pretty sure when I was younger my hair was thicker, but I think it's been around the same thickness for the past 8 years or so, so it's not like I am balding, but still...

The braid waves made my hair look much thicker and fuller than usual, I am really enjoying that. I really should braid my hair more often. I am not a big fan of braids on myself, but I might start doing it just for the braid waves :D

Toiréasa
September 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Very pretty you have beautiful hair.

Juicematic
September 18th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Beautiful!

I went to the Ren fair in high school (looooong time ago) and had my hair braided. I loved it so much!

greentealeaf
September 18th, 2011, 09:04 PM
:thud: Absolutely beautiful! Braids, dancing, makeup, outfit, everything!

getoffmyskittle
September 18th, 2011, 09:05 PM
It's beautiful! And you look like Idina Menzel!

Chetanlaiho
September 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Really? I was a little self-conscious about the wimpy little braid on the bottom and regretted not choosing a one-braid or a braided bun style that would look thicker. I mean, what she did looks really wonderful and intricate but I wasn't sure it was flattering *on me* and was scared that it might make my hair look thin. Not that there is anything wrong with thin hair, let me add... I've seen enviable hair that is much thinner than mine, but some styles are just more flattering than others, you know?

But to be clear, my hair is on the thicker end of ii for sure, but I have been a bit hesitant to label it an ii/iii because I am unsure if I've been accurate in my measurements. I am fairly certain it's somewhere between 3.5'' and 4'', but on the other hand, I shed so much hair that I fear I will be losing a lot of it so I don't want to get attached by labeling myself an ii/iii. I'm pretty sure when I was younger my hair was thicker, but I think it's been around the same thickness for the past 8 years or so, so it's not like I am balding, but still...

The braid waves made my hair look much thicker and fuller than usual, I am really enjoying that. I really should braid my hair more often. I am not a big fan of braids on myself, but I might start doing it just for the braid waves :D

I definitely know what you mean about the 'wimpy braid' I have that everytime I wear my hair 'down' in a braid ^^; alas, I don't have the excuse of having over half of it up in gorgous accent braids, mine's just down to an unfortunate haircut :roll:

I used to be about 3.5" too but in shedding a |lot| this summer I've gone down to 3", I can definitely feel the difference. So I also definitely know the feeling of being afraid of 'balding' :uhh:

Haha that is the main reason I like my wurls that are coming out so much, they make my thin ends look more fairy tale-ish princessy than just thinned out damaged hair! :grnbiggri braidwaves on the other hand, only make my hair look stringier :shrug: perhaps you could (damp) braid your hair at night (great for preventing tangles!) and have lovely braidwaves in the morning?

(sorry, I get a little carried away with the smilies ^^;)

arc691
September 19th, 2011, 04:03 AM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies%204/flower.jpg

Wow, that is so gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting pictures~
I love them all!

Alaia
September 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM
WOW :thud:

What a GORGEOUS braid. It looks so complicated! Why oh why can we not have Ren Faires in the UK :wail:

Your dancing is amazing too. So graceful!

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Thank you! I love the Ren Faire. There has got to be something similar in the UK, no?

Alaia
September 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM
The closest things are historical re-enactments which obviously don't have all the fun hair-braiding :lol:

I don't know why we don't have Ren Faires.

error
September 19th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Aww I absolutely adore this how lovely , I also love the purple accent flowers , purple is my favorite color :> I notice the way braid waves last on me throughout the day and give me not really waves but ... more like mermaid hair I make a lot of cornrows before bed or just braid in small sections from the scalp down to a little past my shoulders then take sponge rollers and twirl the ends around the sponge rollers do this on slightly damp hair and sleep on it , do you're whole morning routine with it ,you're make up , then let you're hair down it gives it a ton of volume!

Roscata
September 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Your braids look beautiful.

And concerning the hair spray I'd suggest trying to just do a rinse, that should remove all the product and you're just using water. :D

Susana
September 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Beautiful hair and performance! I would take the hairspray off if you feel is drying your hair or making tangles or keeping it hard, otherwise i think it would be fine to wait until your wash :)

Ginny Mae
September 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I love the little flowers too, they are so adorable! I get really jealous looking at American posters' pictures of Renaissance Fairs, they look like so much fun. I've googled to try and find one in London but sadly to no avail.

Tealpuffin
September 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
:O absolutely stunning! :) x

Kricket
September 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Depends on what hairspray she used -- I use specific hairspray and it washes out with just water and if I run a brush through my hair after I take it out it breaks it up enough that it doesn't effect my hair.

And the style she did is beautiful! Looks great on your hair too -- I wish my hair was that thick and healthy looking!

Velvet Dreamer
September 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hooolyyyyy /dies
That's amazing!

I would think the hairspray is fine for the time being, since it doesn't seem to be doing much damage.

Eirelin
September 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Wow.

Just...

Wow.

Dying of envy.

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I decided against washing my hair this morning. I only lightly brushed it, because I wanted to keep as much of the texture as possible, although by the time I woke up it wasn't quite wavy anymore.

It does feel a bit textured and very thick, which is kinda cool, so I wore it in a pony tail today. I might do some damp braiding overnight to get some nice waves again tomorrow. I figured I'll try to make this week my "wavy week." Let's see how long that lasts!

Shesta
September 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yame, thank you for posting these wonderful photos! :magic: So inspiring!

I'm only wondering why we don't have this Ren Fairs braidies traditions here in Europe. I mean anywhere around?! Noooooo.. not even on Octoberfest :taz:

Irish Fae
September 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Your hair is stunning, and I loved your performance!! May I ask where you got the top/dress you are wearing in your braid photos? You are so beautiful!

Airmide
September 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for sharing all the pictures! They are really beautiful! I don't think your braid looked wimpy at all. I know you lose a lot with all the braids in the updo, so that's to be expected. I wish we could have watched it being done to see how to do the style!

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Your hair is stunning, and I loved your performance!! May I ask where you got the top/dress you are wearing in your braid photos? You are so beautiful!

I believe I got it at Hot Topic, but it was something like 9 years ago!

Sisko
September 19th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I'm only wondering why we don't have this Ren Fairs braidies traditions here in Europe. I mean anywhere around?! Noooooo.. not even on Octoberfest :taz:

*sad nod* Reason enough to emigrate to the US! Still, I have a hunch that starting up Ren Faires in Europe would be a far easier task than green card status across the pond. ;)

Beautiful photos, Yame!

Lostsoule77
September 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
That braided style is gorgeous on you! I've been trying to get to the Ren Faire in NY, but I don't think I'll be able to. Seeing this beautiful style on you makes me regret it even more. Your dance was great too!

I think you made the right decision with the hairspray. Unless it's knotting your hair I don't think a few extra days will do much damage. Just use some oil and you should be good. :)

Yame
September 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Thank you ladies, once again!

Now I feel sad for those of you outside the US, who don't have Ren Faires :( You'd think Europe of all places should have them!

Whatever spray she used must have been very light, because I can hardly feel it in my hair. It did make the waves really last though, last time I checked there were some pieces (where the tinier braids were) that were still wavy, and the rest was still textured and thick... even after brushing. Normally my hair doesn't retain waves for that long.

Now, a few hours ago I spritzed some water on my hair to dampen it slightly, and did a couple of braids... some smaller ones and some medium ones to mimic the waves I got yesterday. I'll take the braids out in the morning and see what waves I get. I hope they look okay tomorrow, but if not, I can always just bun the mess I've made.

MasCat
September 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM
We have events like ren-faires - because histroical reconstruction is doing quite well, but they don't have a braiding tradition going on yet. Room for improvement I think :)