PDA

View Full Version : Too much of a good thing?

Gwen
September 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hello all,

I haven't posted in a long time! Anyhoo, In an attempt to get back to my natural colour, I died my hair brown. It faded a lot and now I hate it, lol. But that's not my issue. It seems as though my damage has gotten worse (my hair is starting to look 'mullety' now). I really really do not want to cut it short because short hair looks horrid on me. Not only that, but I will seriously cry everyday over it if I do.

I've been using Aussie volume shampoo & conditioner, as well as Morroccan Oil conditioner treatment (washing this way approx. once every three days or so. I'm trying to stretch washes). After I wash, I use a Super Keratin leave-in conditioner to help with some tangles. I finger comb my hair as it's wet, then gently run a wide-tooth comb through it. I then let it air dry.

Is it possible that I'm using too much protien? Too much moisturizing? My hair feels so dry and because I used to bleach it for so long, I feel like my hair needs it. Also, I've been taking Omega 3 fish oil supplements, and Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins for a while now.

Any advice would be great.

julierockhead
September 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
If you are trying to get to your natural color but having fading and damage (just like I was) consider using henna and indigo. Those two plants can give you a wide range of browns, with some experimentation; they will likely strengthen your hair, and certainly won't damage it. Here's a good place to read about it-

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

And here is a good article about protein and moisture -

http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/topic/511/t/Hair-Breakage-and-Shedding-101.html#.TnZDAa5biRm

You say you have been bleaching your hair for a while. Nothing can fix damage. You can mask the damage, and baby your hair, and grow out healthier hair, though!
Sounds like you are starting to do that by taking some supplements and coming here. Good luck.

Alvrodul
September 18th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Do you clarify regularly? One of the signs for me that my hair has bad buildup, is that the ends become dry and super-tangly, and sucks up oil like it is going out of style.
It can still be the damage raising its head, and it could well be that it is time for a trim, but I would suggest you do that clarifying wash, and follow it with a SMT.

Gwen
September 18th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Do you clarify regularly? One of the signs for me that my hair has bad buildup, is that the ends become dry and super-tangly, and sucks up oil like it is going out of style.
It can still be the damage raising its head, and it could well be that it is time for a trim, but I would suggest you do that clarifying wash, and follow it with a SMT.

What is SMT?

KwaveT
September 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM
What is SMT?

Snowy's Massage Technique. It can be looked up in Articles on this website/forum.

archel
September 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment - recipe is in the herbal/natural hair care section of the board.

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Don't be afraid of teeny-tiny trims of 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time. It can help a lot when you're battling damage.

elfgirl
September 19th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I agree with spidermom, doing occasional small trims can work wonders. I think I'll be doing that in a few weeks, just to be on the safe side. Also, jojoba oil helps!