PDA

View Full Version : Horrible, dry, knotty ends??

isabelx
September 18th, 2011, 12:51 PM
In desperate need of help! :confused:

My hair seems to be extremely prone to damage, my ends are so dry, tangled and straw like, they're almost impossible to comb through (I used a wide toothed comb).

I clarified for the first time about a 2 weeks ago and used Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner after and my hair and ends felt fabulous. I've been using the same conditioner every time I wash ever since but it just doesn't seem to be having the same effect? Do I need to clarify again?

I don't know what's causing my ends to be so dry, I don't straighten, blow dry or even use hot water on my hair, I wear it up every day and use a wide tooth comb or my fingers only to detangle.

I used to abuse my hair quite a lot but I presumed it would have all grown out by now seeing as though my hair is only to my shoulders.

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate any suggestions!

tinywife
September 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM
It sounds to me like you may have buildup. That's usually the case when a conditioner that worked well for you suddenly stopped working.
Maybe consider going cone-free? My hair was crunchy and straw-like until I quit the cone habit.

isabelx
September 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe, I thought my hair liked cones considering how great it felt after I first used this conditioner but maybe I was wrong.

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
How long ago did you stop abusing your hair? It could be that the damage hasn't been completely cut away yet.

isabelx
September 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I'd say I stopped straightening it on a daily basis around a year and 3 months ago. Since then I've been salon dying it around every 7 weeks but my last one was 7 weeks ago and I don't intend to do it again.

Alvrodul
September 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Your description of your ends sounds like mine when I desperately need to clarify. Definitely sounds like buildup to me as well! And since it is only 2 weeks since you clarified last, perhaps you need to try another conditioner? I have found that the Body Shop conditioners gives me buildup very quickly, I need a "lighter" conditioner.
Also, since I think you have rather damaged ends, a trim could also be in order for you, but clarify first, and perhaps do a SMT.

isabelx
September 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM
How often do you think it is necessary to clarify? I've figured out my hair doesn't like protein or cones so I'm definitely going to invest in a new conditioner.

Kathie
September 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Disregard :flower:

Safira
September 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Build-up, I think. Sometimes itīs not enough to clarify once, but you have to clarify more often. Try to find some simple conditioner without humectants, protein etc and then add slowly more to your routine.

That worked for me and it took about 2 months to get over build-ups and founding out what suits for my hair.

isabelx
September 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone :) Does anyone know of any cone and protein free conditioners?

jaine
September 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I think first we need to know your hair type ... curly hair can feel tangly just because it's curly, even if there's nothing wrong with it...and you mentioned you were straightening so I assume that means it isn't straight...

isabelx
September 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
My hair is extremely curly/bushy, so I understand it may get knotty because of this but I don't think it should be as knotty as it us. I also get many split ends which I don't understand because I don't heat damage?

Jenn of Pence
September 18th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone :) Does anyone know of any cone and protein free conditioners?

Isabelx, there are definitely a few cone and protein free conditioners you can try. For "drug store" brands, I suggest Tresemme Naturals conditioners and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. However, the conditioner I would really suggest for you is Biolage Conditioning Balm. It's really thick and uber moisturizing, and it'll give just about as much slip as a coney conditioner.

Dry, tangly, "velcroey" ends can be attributed to protein buildup. I don't believe 3MM has proteins (I think it used to, but the stuff you buy now in the store doesn't), so if that's all you were using as a conditioner, that wouldn't be it. However, check your shampoo. Protein overload can be clarified away, so no worries.

If you go cone and protein free for a while, you could add them back in one at a time to see how each one affects you. Then you'll know! Good luck; hope those help.

jojo
September 19th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Sounds like you need to clarify again, I do every 2 weeks with tresemme deep clean which I dilute. A good conditioner is tigi moisture maniac it has no cones and is very moisturising, but at the moment I am using Avon's advocado and almond oil conditioner which is excellent but it does have cones.

If the clarifying treatment doesn't work you may need a little trim, it sounds like you still have damage in your ends. Although clarifying and a DC will help them feel better, they will just break and you will find it difficult to gain length.

annieangel149
September 19th, 2011, 02:36 AM
clarify! then do an SMT (4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey and maybe a little aloe gel or oil) my hair was feeling a little dry! i did the clarifying and smt yesterday! It worked great for me :)

isabelx
September 19th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Thanks all!

And Jenn of Peace, I've just checked my shampoo and it doesn't (I think haha) have protein in it. So maybe it was just my coney conditioner, I'll stay away from it for a while and see how it goes :)

Sophie.Bold
September 19th, 2011, 04:54 AM
After going Cone Free the best treatment I experienced was SMT, which is Aloe gel, Honey, and conditioner(free cones, free protein)

:) Hope it helps!