PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: How to Use Coconut Oil

kellysmum
September 18th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I have very dry hair which I deep condition once a week (to no avail), so I decided to look into using oils on my hair. Having never done this before, I was hoping someone could tell me the proper technique for doing an oil treatment. Do you put it on wet or dry hair? (My guess is dry.) How do you keep it from dripping all over? How long do you leave it on? Any advice is appreciated.

raishalini11
September 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I have very dry hair which I deep condition once a week (to no avail), so I decided to look into using oils on my hair. Having never done this before, I was hoping someone could tell me the proper technique for doing an oil treatment. Do you put it on wet or dry hair? (My guess is dry.) How do you keep it from dripping all over? How long do you leave it on? Any advice is appreciated.

Hi kellysmum, Oil massage is always done on dry scalp and you just have to dip your finger tips in oil and massage your scalp lightly..no chance of dripping. Once you complete applying oil to scalp take few drops on palm, rub both hands together and softly apply on rest of hair, repeat as required.

For better absorption you can warm the oil first and then apply, keep it overnight or at least for 2-3 hrs and then wash. You can use almond oil or sesame oil or coconut or olive oil. HTH :)

julierockhead
September 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
You can lightly spray with water first if you want, many people do that. Just keep applying oil in small amounts until all your hair looks quite wet, then wrap it up in saran wrap or a plastic bag or a shower cap, cover that with a towel or winter hat, and let it soak! I like to do this overnight. Coconut oil is a great choice, since the hair does absorb it. Some oils absorb well and are good for treatments, some "sit" on top of hair and are better to use as glosses/serums to prevent flyaways and keep moisture in.

kellysmum
September 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I ordered extra virgin coconut oil from Amazon.com; should be here Wednesday. Maybe I'll do a treatment that night.

arjay.d
September 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
My question is what do you use to wash it out? What keeps it from looking and feeling greasy?

julierockhead
September 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Washing it out is no problem, really. Some people find that washing it out with shampoo is a little tough, so maybe they shampoo twice, but I only use conditioner to wash my hair, and I have never had a problem with greasiness. Conditioner washing (CO washing) is a great way to remove oil (oil dissolves and removes oil) and it is very good for people with oily scalps but dry hair.

IanB
September 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I massage it into my scalp, then along the length of may hair on the night before washing. I lay a large towel on the bed pillows to save oil on the pillow cases, the wash out with sulphate free shampoo the following morning.

kdaniels8811
September 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Depends on how your hair is, mine is really fine so the correct amount of oil is like one drop. No more. I rub it between my palms and run it over the length of my hair. Do this every day or two and it will get absorbed and you will not have the greasies. If you oil your hair and wash it right back out, what good is it doing?

Using a tiny amount on a regular basis helps your hair much more. You can always add more, but the only way to take away is wash it. Good luck! I have found coconut oil was a lifesaver for my hair.

rowie
September 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Depends on how your hair is, mine is really fine so the correct amount of oil is like one drop. No more. I rub it between my palms and run it over the length of my hair. Do this every day or two and it will get absorbed and you will not have the greasies. If you oil your hair and wash it right back out, what good is it doing?

Using a tiny amount on a regular basis helps your hair much more. You can always add more, but the only way to take away is wash it. Good luck! I have found coconut oil was a lifesaver for my hair.

I agree with kdaniels8811, what good is oil if you wash it. The key for me is moderation, and learning how much oil to use in your own hair. I've got it down to a science, and now I get little to no tangles using coconut oil. Plus I feel good knowing that I am giving nourishment to my hair by using just the right amount of coconut oil as a leave in. Good luck.

Saraya
September 18th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I've found i really like using the coconut oil. I'm sure for most people its almost solid unless its really hot where you live. Since for me its solid i just scratch a little off with my fingernail then let it melt in my palm and distribute it through my ends first and then put the rest near my roots. If i need more, i just take a little more. Once you've put too much you need to put it up or wash it again so i'd rather take a tiny bit 100 times. : )

Teazel
September 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM
There's an excellent oiling tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71) in the Articles section. :)

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I apply coconut oil to my length, never my scalp (which is plenty oily all by itself), an hour to a day before I plan to wash my hair. Sometimes I apply a little oil to my damp ends after washing.

I wash CWC style - applying conditioner to my length, shampooing my scalp area with diluted shampoo, then letting the suds run through my length. This almost always removes enough of the oil to give me silky, shiny hair. Some believe that conditioner removes oil better than shampoo, so maybe that's why I never have trouble removing the oil.