PDA

View Full Version : Disrespecting LHC and my hair!

Foxy_Booker
September 18th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Sometimes I hate my sister. She was born with dead straight, incredibly thick dark brown hair and I had dirty blonde, wavy fine hair. She used to have her hair very long but it is short now. She's one of those who doesn't care at all about hair and does whatever she wants to hers and can't understand why I try so hard and put oils in my hair etc. because "I don't have nice hair" so she can't understand why I bother.

I don't have the best hair but its medium thickness, hers is just sooo much thicker.

And I get a decent amount of compliments on my hair which makes me happy so naturally when someone compliments my hair I tell my mom but this seems to make my sister angry so she will make a nasty remark or something because "her hair is far superior to mine".

Now I wouldn't mind that her hair is thicker than mine and all that, its the fact that she rubs it in my face and makes me feel horrible about it that makes me angry. She doesn't do it on purpose, we have a really close relationship, she just doesn't realize when she's being incredibly rude. For instance, she will grab my pony tail and make a comment like" so thin" and then she'll make me feel hers for comparison. Or like when my oldest sister who is a hair dresser cut our hair she made a deal about how having her bangs trimmed produced more hair than having my ends trimmed, another, thin hair jab.

Just a few minutes ago I was laptoping in the kitchen and I proudly showed off my LHC profile with my family around because I told them about joining, and of course my sister had to make her comment.

She said she didn't understand the reason why people have a long hair community because growing long hair is easy and all she would have to do is not cut it, then she proceeded to show how long her hair is. (because she's growing it out but its only to shoulder now so I don't understand her jab). I told her its not simple for everyone and so we share tips and generally just talk about long hair because we all like it here. Ughhh I can here her stupid voice in my head, "they act like growing hair is hard"

Its just so frustrating because it makes me want to cut my hair and have short hair like she thinks would look good on me which is so discouraging. It makes me angrier that now that I have joined LHC and am getting into it and she makes fun of that too.

Sorry for the rant. But if anyone has similar stories or anything to add, I would like to hear.

julierockhead
September 18th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Feh. Let her be flippant and let her compete with you over hair (that is what she is doing). When she is being a b*tch about hair, smile sweetly and tell her her hair is just fine in a very reassuring way, as if she had said she was worried about it. It will make her paranoid lol. Her behavior and comments reveal plainly she is threatened by you, and that gorgeous waist length mane you have that I want someday!

The best revenge is better hair - eventually with all the pampering you are going to be doing, your hair is going to shine like the sun and be fabulous, I don't care how great her hair is, yours will look better because it's taken care of.

Plus, you have TLHC. Your length is enough to do all kinds of long hair styles and braids and updos that she can't do...so look around and start doing some. Get some awesome hairtoys, make your long hair your signature!

Madora
September 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Sounds like your sister has an acute case of "oneupsmanship". She speaks without thinking, unaware of what she says is hurtful.

And I laughed at her observation that growing hair is easy. Of course it is! Everyone can grow hair. It's growing healthy, beautiful, long hair that is HARD. She apparently doesn't understand that and couldn't care less.

Just stick to your guns and you'll have healthy, beautiful, well cared for hair..while your sister will not. Some people just don't understand why we long haired folks take such pains to make our hair the best we can. Let 'em murder their hair. We know better!

Sweet_Decadence
September 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Your sister sounds just plain malicious! In a situation like that I'd feel inclined to to just say stuff along the lines of "Oh really? Thats nice." in the most uninterested tone possible, without even distracting yourself from what you're doing, anytime she starts talking about hair.

I wouldn't listen to your sister about cutting your hair unless that is what you want. She seems to be quite jealous of it and I don't personally feel it is innocently motivated considering how you say she reacts when you talk about the compliments you get.

jasper
September 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Siblings. Bah. That bit about you not having nice hair so why are you even trying is an amazingly thoughtless and insensitive comment! (and dead wrong, going by your avatar) Save that one up so you can remind her later in life, when you tell her how you love your wonderful mature kind sister, what a thoughtless young lady she used to be!

I don't have a sister, but my brother used to disparage my hair. We were very light blondes as little kids. He has always kept a lighter, more sunny blonde head of hair while mine darkened- I won't call it dirty blonde, but he would call it dishwater. He managed to gloat over this quite a bit when a teenager and kept it up through our early adulthood. Well, he's facing male balding and his blonde tresses are so thin he wears a hat constantly. I just smile to myself and don't give him any flack.

greentealeaf
September 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Well said Madora! DH and I know a couple that loves to one-up people, not on purpose I don't think, but it can get rather tiring and irritating to be around. I just have to try and remember that everyone is different and sometimes they really don't know what they are doing. And if they are doing it on purpose or from a mean place, don't let it show that it bothers you. Your hair looks beautiful from your picture and so healthy and SHINY! :)

Rosetta
September 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
She speaks without thinking, unaware of what she says is hurtful.
Yeah, your sister reminds me so much of my mother... Not specifically hair-wise but in general. She often dishes out these hurtful comments (her opinions about my life, etc.) and if I tell her that something she has said was hurtful, she always tells me it's my fault for taking it in such a negative way, "seems one can't really say anything to you then", etc... :(

So unfortunately I don't have much advice to offer, but like you I'm very interested to hear of any strategies how to deal with this kind of person/situation...

julierockhead
September 18th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I don't have a sister, but my brother used to disparage my hair. We were very light blondes as little kids. He has always kept a lighter, more sunny blonde head of hair while mine darkened- I won't call it dirty blonde, but he would call it dishwater. He managed to gloat over this quite a bit when a teenager and kept it up through our early adulthood. Well, he's facing male balding and his blonde tresses are so thin he wears a hat constantly. I just smile to myself and don't give him any flack.

Wow you have an iron will, or you are supernaturally forgiving! If he had treated me that way, I would NEVER, EVER let an opportunity go by that I didn't mention baldness somehow in his presence. :horse: Even if it was just to say how bald guys can look really, really good, even if the glare can sometimes be a bit much.

jasper
September 18th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Wow you have an iron will, or you are supernaturally forgiving! If he had treated me that way, I would NEVER, EVER let an opportunity go by that I didn't mention baldness somehow in his presence. :horse: Even if it was just to say how bald guys can look really, really good, even if the glare can sometimes be a bit much.

I can't count on never ending up a bit bald myself (my grandmother did not have a lot of hair in her later years), so I am keeping my mouth shut to him. I made my snarky remarks on the subject to my mom, though ;)

katienoonan
September 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
As some people have already mentioned... it seems your sister is feeling a bit of the green snarky demon because of your hair length and compliments!

jojo
September 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Sounds like your sister has an acute case of "oneupsmanship". She speaks without thinking, unaware of what she says is hurtful.

And I laughed at her observation that growing hair is easy. Of course it is! Everyone can grow hair. It's growing healthy, beautiful, long hair that is HARD. She apparently doesn't understand that and couldn't care less.

Just stick to your guns and you'll have healthy, beautiful, well cared for hair..while your sister will not. Some people just don't understand why we long haired folks take such pains to make our hair the best we can. Let 'em murder their hair. We know better!

totally agree with every word

raishalini11
September 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Hmm..I can very well relate to it but the only difference is my sister knows she is superior in looks and quite assured about it so never bothered to prove it to me ..its already proved :rolleyes:

The quality of my hair is also counted in good (I guess :confused:) but she has got really thick and shining black hair..thick means her single hair will be equal to my 2 ..Believe me its a truth..

So I never tried to compete with her ever knowing I wont win and worked on my own hair.. so now we are equally seen as having good hair in terms of shine and health at least (Can't beat her in thickness)

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Certain people make themselves feel good by putting other people down, and I believe they know EXACTLY what they're doing. How rude! I'd come up with something I'd say every single time, like "how many more times are you going to point out how thin you think my hair is?"

My son's GF used to live here, and for awhile, every single time I'd start to make dinner, she'd say "Are you going to put mushrooms in that? I hate mushrooms; they're disgusting." I started saying "how many more times are you going to tell me that you hate mushrooms?" Eventually she quit saying it.

Bambi
September 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! I wish that my locks will look nearly as good as yours one day!
Other than that I completely agree with the other posters.

raishalini11
September 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
My son's GF used to live here, and for awhile, every single time I'd start to make dinner, she'd say "Are you going to put mushrooms in that? I hate mushrooms; they're disgusting." I started saying "how many more times are you going to tell me that you hate mushrooms?" Eventually she quit saying it.

Nice tip..thanks, I am so gonna try this next time :D

lapispimpernel
September 18th, 2011, 11:55 AM
My sister does that, too. I feel like half my posts mention her sometimes. :( Well, anyway, she's model-gorgeous and has a slimmer frame than me- she's already got that going and she knows it, and mentions it more often than not when I'm having an off day.

Hair-wise, hers is a shade darker, between SL and APL, and as thick as mine used to be before my stress shed. (She's the age I was when it happened, so I'm sort of watching her brushes and things, just in case. :D ) Anyway, she thinks everything I do with my hair is stupid. CO-washing is nasty and I need to use some of her shampoo, because you can see the grease from across the room. My hair won't grow anymore because I'm getting old (OMG, might as well dig my grave at 24), and besides, it's thin and ratty looking, and totally damaged and DEAD. Why don't I cut it off to my chin and straighten it, that would be so cute! Hairsticks and buns are so dumb and old-fashioned anyway. Oh, I forgot, I have a thing tomorrow, won't you wake up early in the morning and do a braid for me pretty-pretty-please?

On the other hand, she straightens-til-it-smokes nearly every day, and backcombs and sprays the life out of her poor hair. I may come out of this one a winner, but it will be awhile 'til she notices. I've just stopped saying anything about hair in the meantime- whether she means to be awful or not, it hurts and I don't want to hear it.

(That sounded rant-y, but we have a good relationship for the most part. She's just a teenager and typically self-absorbed, and more fashion-conscious than most.)

So no advice here, other than just grin and bear it until your hair is obviously better. :o

QueenJoey
September 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Me and my sister have a similar relationship, but a little different. She bleaches and does all this stuff to her gorgeously thick hair, and it's starting to get super damaged. She does make fun of me for my oils and obsession with LHC, but she takes my advice,too. I've heard her use terms such as "mermaid rinse", and she loves S&Ding with me.

Your sister will come around, mine did. She used to laugh and tease all the time, and now she compliments me and says she "wishes her hair was as long and pretty as mine."

julierockhead
September 18th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Gah, this whole thread makes me glad I never had sisters. When I was younger I had "friends" who would pull the kind of garbage I am reading about here, at least I could stop hanging around with them - but siblings, you are stuck with.

nellreno
September 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Actually I'd say that your sister knows exactly how much her words hurt you. Have you tried directly confronting her about it?

MasCat
September 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I think that if you have a really good connection with your sister you should calmly tell her, that her comments hurt you, and you feel bad whenever she says that. And then any time she made a remark like that say "did you want to hurt me? why?" and not in an angry way, but like you were really curious. You could follow p by "are you uncertain about your body image?" but that could be a tad over the top.

But seriously - people are not telepaths. And while you appear like the sensitive type not all people have the same sensitivity - ant they talk a lot without thinking. But if you bite your lip and never normally talk about it they will never know anything is wrong. And it _is_ wrong.

Safira
September 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Well, I have to say that your hair is absolutely beautiful. It´s long and healthy, colour is beautiful and your hair SHINES.

I really believe that your sister knows that she is hurting you, and you feel bad about how she makes you feel. I agree that you should start to say everytime when she makes you down, jusk ask that how many times she´s going to make you feel bad.

And you have nothing to make you feel bad, your hair is gorgeus.

Foxy_Booker
September 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the compliments and advice! It really made my day and after reading I was so far from being mad at my sister because they made me so happy! Haha I was still in the kitchen while I was reading them with a giant smile plastered on my face and my sister was asking me why I was so smiley. Sweet sneaky secret revenge.

I’m so glad I can talk about my hair density here as well, I’ve always been self-conscious about my hair thickness (my sister is a major cause) and the support is amazing.

Next time my sister says anything I will have a whole arsenal of comments I can throw at her, instead of trying desperately to defend myself.

I have never confronted her about it, I feel like it would make it awkward, and I’m bad with confrontation. Next time it gets brought up I could try something and do the mature thing by just telling her how I feel.

Its just I don’t really know whether she’s trying to hurt me or just is annoyed that I have long hair.

I can usually withstand her comments to a degree, but when she started criticising LHC, I had had enough lol

Cassie 123
September 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I was a twit like your sister when I was younger. If you can stay calm enough to educate her, great; if you can't, don't worry about it - karma will undoubtedly teach her a lesson as she grows older.

Kleis
September 18th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Just know that thicker hair isn't better hair; it's just thicker hair. There is no one true superior hair, thankfully!

If I were you and she became competitive, I'd refuse to engage. Smile and agree that her hair is lovely, and that's she's very fortunate. Then continue on with whatever you're doing. Just being composed and refusing to get drawn into the fight means you win the war, even if she thinks she's got the battle. :)

littlenvy
September 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
:) Easy come, easy go!

While she was blessed with nice hair , YOU have learned the long term solutions how to keep your hair nice and long for years to come.
In my book you are the winner.
Let her make fun, who cares. You have made lots of like-minded friends here and just for that we and you are much richer for it.

KwaveT
September 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
That kind of behavior comes back to bite. If you are taking care of your hair and she is not then your hair is going to look much better than hers in the long term. I always got bullied growing up. When that happens, it usually occurs from some insecurity within them. It has nothing to do with you. I grew up with two sisters so and am oldest. I got to watch dynamics of this sort of competition everyday. This sort of competition would be like me belittling my brother-in-laws. They are both younger and both balding and I am about five or six years older than both of them (I am 34) and have a head of hair as thick as a 20-year old's. I don't do this. I am just using this as an example. My cousin, who is two and half years older than me, use to belittle my dad about his balding and now he has less hair than my dad. You reap what you sow.

Gaelle27
September 18th, 2011, 03:18 PM
My hair is thin too. And my roomamte was always teasing a anoying me whith it. I heard tousants time by day "Oh, your hair is so thin" and "one day, you will be bald" "you should cut it" I listen to her, and cut it. Very short. And today, I will never see her again, but I see my short hair every day in the mirroir, and sincerly regret the haircut. So, dont do the same! Dont cut it! You may regret it...And your hair is long, shiny and beautiful! notting to be ashame of!

SkinnyCookie
September 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
My dad, who is a people watcher by habit, says that he has always noticed "long hair envy" between women. Someone talks you into cutting your hair short, and you hate it but don't have the guts to grow it out through the awkward stage, and then spend the rest of forever trying to convince every long hair around them to be as miserable as they are. My short haired sis does the same thing with TLHC, and always mocks my efforts/methods.
Lot's of people I know- who've seen photographic evidence of my hairs uselessness at anything less than shoulder- still try to convince me that I should cut it and I'd just be SOOOO much better without all that useless hair for whatever reason.

celebriangel
September 18th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wow. That's...really horrible.

My favourite tactic with - well, everything - is so take people along the trail of logic-leading-up and consequences-leading-forward from their current actions. For example, if your sister compares your hair unfavourably to hers point out what she's done. Say that it hurts you to have her belittling you, that it affects your self-esteem. Point out that she does it all the time.

Then go backwards - ask her why she'd want to hurt you. If the answer is unsatisfactory, ask it again in a different way, or ask a supplementary question. If you get little worthwhile response, keep positing possibilities - ask her if she's jealous, for example, and keep suggesting things until you get to one that hits a nerve. Talk in short words and short sentences. If someone is forced to confront the petty, selfish reasons why they're doing something nasty, it's enough to make most of them balk.

Then, go forwards. Tell her what will happen to your state of mind, and to the relationship you guys have, if she continues being horrible. Explain whatever you feel - that you'll eventually be too angry to listen to her, or too upset to speak to her, if she continues. Make her face the consequences of her actions.

It's a bit brutal, but it almost never fails to get through to people, I have found.

I am so glad, right now, that I have no siblings. Don't give in to the pressure. You hair is beautiful, so she's probably jealous.

FrozenBritannia
September 18th, 2011, 04:09 PM
It's hard being a sister most of the time. It's hard to tell sometimes if they are being truthful or malicious.. (She may really think that you look good with short hair- or she may be jealous of your hair because it is not as heavy as hers and a lighter colour with more body and thus want to sabotage your efforts). As I don't know you or your sibling I can't say which it is, it is possible even she doesn't know.

My sister has always had coarser, darker, and poufier hair than I and I honestly do think that she looked very well as a child with short hair. I greeted the information that she was going to grow it out with a raised eyebrow, because the person that she was before never took care of her hair. However, she has done it (bsl) and at her wedding she looked gorgeous with it because she IS taking care of it.

Features change as we age, and though I moved out when my sister was 13 (when her features more suited short hair) at 22 I think her long hair suits her features better than short would. It is possible that your sister has a picture of a younger you in her head who looked good in short hair and hasn't noticed the changes because she sees you every day.

Regardless of her intentions, you owe it to yourself to reach the goal you have set yourself- long beautiful hair. Don't give up. You are getting attention for something that she has never gotten attention for, despite her achieving it easier (and prescisely because you are workingfor it and progress can be measured and seen), and no sister likes that ;)

archel
September 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM
My sister and I were like this about EVERYTHING when we were younger. Now that she's 37 and I'm 40, we both enjoy sharing hair tips and links and I told her about LHC and everything. That is something a lot of siblings outgrow, so perhaps one day you'll be sharing your knowledge and having fun with your hair and not competing over it - one can hope anyway! :)

luthein
September 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
<comfort> I am also the thinner/finer-haired sister. My sister's ponytail is probably about 5" and mine is almost 3."

It's important to reassure yourself that her hair does not diminish your hair's beauty. <hug>

Yame
September 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
She's so mean! Try not to let it get to you!

lacefrost
September 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Its just so frustrating because it makes me want to cut my hair and have short hair like she thinks would look good on me which is so discouraging.

Why? How would that make you feel better? Why does it matter what she likes? Are you growing your hair to beautiful lengths for yourself or to please her?

<3OnHerSleeve
September 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm personally very happy that I have fine hair. Thick hair isn't necessarily better, it's just a matter of personal taste. Maybe she's jealous and wishes she didn't have perfect straight hair. Often people wish they had hair the opposite of their natural hair type, colour, etc.

I wish I could say something that would be helpful, my mother and my aunt have sibling rivalry like this. Either ask why she has such an issue about your hair and if her hair really is superior then why does she have to prove it? or else just ignore her and love her all the same because in the end she's making a lot of noise trying to make herself feel better and it's not fair that it makes you feel bad so don't let it by ignoring it!

I just looked at your profile and you have LOVELY hair. just because hers is different doesn't make it better so anything she says really doesn't matter. As long as your hair is healthy and you take care of it, then ignore anything she says because you've got beautiful hair.

xoxophelia
September 18th, 2011, 11:56 PM
With lighter hair than her and also thinner hair, as it grows long you could look like an angel! There is something more delicate about a thin blanket of hair and it has its own beauty.

It looks as though you color your hair now but I would say focus on things like increasing the shine of your hair. It is already very shiny. The prettiest hair has a natural shine from being healthy.

Lisa R
September 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Why? How would that make you feel better? Why does it matter what she likes? Are you growing your hair to beautiful lengths for yourself or to please her?

I really do like what lacefrost said. I really need to keep these questions in my mind. I have to say that this thread has been good for me to read! I understand your feelings of having thinner hair and having that fact being pushed into your mind with little comments. I had a comment said to me recently by a close family member about how hers and my hair are thin and how it doesn't look good long and is much better short. I felt like you and thought, well maybe I should cut it and keep it short instead of growing it and keeping it long. The comment bothered me for most of the day until I talked to my husband about it and he talked to me and encouraged me.

I would have a chat to her when she throws a comment to you again. Tell her that you love your long hair and she hurts you when she talks about your hair negatively. I know that if I get another negative comment about my hair I will say something to that person.

I looked at your profile pic and you have absolutely gorgeous hair! It's so long, shiny and obviously healthy. I hope when my hair reaches that length it will look like yours!:)

Chin up:)

mrs_coffee
September 19th, 2011, 03:53 AM
She sounds young and when you're young sometimes you think you know everything there is to know about certain subjects. Do your best to let it roll off your shoulders. Don't let her push your buttons. Siblings are great at identifying your sensitive spots and then poking at them relentlessly.

NotInPortland
September 19th, 2011, 06:11 AM
It's times like this I'm glad I have a brother not a sister because if I had a sister that was doing that to me I'd kill her (well not really but you know what I mean :p). No one should have to put up with being put down like that from anyone not even from a sibling, even if they don't really mean it. Tell her to bugger off and mind her own business and then just ignore it from now on.

Kricket
September 19th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hmmm, well that's unfortunate. =( While I'm like your sister -- growing my hair out, in the last three years at least, has been relatively easy -- but unlike her, I still find LHC super helpful. My hair was "healthy" before, but after a few months of lurking around here I've been so excited to see the improvement in my hair from the advice I read off here as well as awesome nifty hair tricks. (And to top it off I find the advice for different hair types helpful when I'm doing someone else's hair.)

Tell her she just doesn't know what happy hair is yet! =)

slz
September 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM

emelnd
September 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think yous sister is mean, and may even be jealous of your hair.

I mean, I have thick dark brown hair, and I used to like dirty blonde hair better. Also my hair would get very puffy with all the thickness. Up until recently I was having hairdressers actually thin it out at the roots. My hair right now is thinned out and I am trying to grow and cut the thin parts.

Blonde is so much more versatile. You have to bleach dark brown if you want it even light brown. Even then, that colour doesn't go with my skin tone. Even when you henna, you can't get the bright reds and lighter burgundies with dark brown hair.

I like my natural color now, because it goes very well with my face. Maybe your sister is jealous of your nice hair though?

clarinette
September 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Is that your face in your avatar? that may be the reason your sister is criticizing your hair. You're extremely beautiful.

annieangel149
September 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Is that your face in your avatar? that may be the reason your sister is criticizing your hair. You're extremely beautiful.

i agree with clarinette...if thats you in your profile pic...you are very beautiful :)

hmmmm....i dont really know you or your sister so i could be wrong but i think she may be jealous!

Melisande
September 20th, 2011, 10:12 AM
You had some great answers for your sister already ;-)

I personally don't think it's a good tactic to answer snark with snark if the relationship is precious to you. I prefer the softer way. I think that I would tell her seriously: "listening to you, one might think that there is a competition between your hair and mine. Why do you compare at all? In my opinion, your hair is nice and so is mine. It's simply different. Why do you feel the need to put me down all the time?"

When people are young, they tend to see the world in terms of competition, or exclusivity (i.e., "if my sister has nice hair that means that ONLY she has nice hair - it's either her or my hair"). Of course, this is nonsence. Tastes are different, and there is a huge range of loveliness in the world. And, youngsters would be shocked!, EVEN the not-conventionally-pretty people are seen as beautiful by many.

Human characteristics are distributed in a bell curve, and every segment of this curve has its lovers and admirers. There IS no competition, and to think like that is destructive for human relationships. Appreciating others for what they are without comparision, competition or envy is a very important element of loving relationships. Your sister should have the opportunity to learn that lesson. (Of course, not putting oneself down!)

This is my personal opinion, based on my value system ;-) and my non-competitive and not very snarky personality. YMMV.

teal
September 20th, 2011, 10:23 AM
She's jealous, insecure or both. That much is obvious.

Don't stop telling your mom about the compliments you receive, or LHC stuff, or anything else that you want to share. If your sister says something nasty, ask her this: "What does that have to do with a compliment about my hair?" Wait for a response. If one isn't forthcoming or she sidesteps the question, put her on the spot.

The answer is this: nothing. Nothing about her hair, superior or not, has anything to do with yours. It simply doesn't. You don't have to do anything other than this... trust me, she's already making herself look petty to everyone else just by saying and doing these things. It's very unattractive. Don't stoop to her level and start slinging insults.

The best thing to do is to truly love your hair and embrace everything about it. If you do, the dumb comments your sister is making will just slide right off. She knows you're insecure about the thickness which is why she uses that to get under your skin... but if you love your hair for what it is (and what it isn't!), that won't work.

error
September 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well i think she is jealous you were born with the golden locks :> I checked out you're photo on you're page and i think that you're hair is gorgeous , and with help from here it will be in stellar tip top shape. Siblings can be great , or evil , i have an older brother who will not even talk to me , its due to the fact that my father is my best friend , but then i have my little brother who is a complete sweetheart and always hangs out around me . Do not let her frustrate you , even here on the lhc we have all kinds , short hair long hair thin and thick its like dr. seuss over here , but everyone's hair is progressing with care and equally magnificent .Do put a frog in you're sisters bed though...

adiapalic
September 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Certain people make themselves feel good by putting other people down, and I believe they know EXACTLY what they're doing. How rude! I'd come up with something I'd say every single time, like "how many more times are you going to point out how thin you think my hair is?"

That's about how I handle it.

My sister used to point out physical flaws I had when we were growing up--usually with a malicious edge to it. I'm glad she grew out of that spitefulness.

Now she has a way with "innocently" pointing out flaws I have while pointing out that she doesn't have them. One is that I have more underarm hair than her, "Why does yours grow from here to here? Mine only grows in this little bitty patch!" She has said and done this half a dozen times over the last few years, and the past few times I have said, "Yes, you have less body hair than me! You win, Hallelujah!" She finally stopped. Oh, and she's two years older than me—turned 26 this year.

Sisters. I think they do this because truly they see things in you that they wish they had.

(By the way, I love mushrooms. My DBF doesn't like them, but he dare not say a word when I'm cooking!)

FrozenBritannia
September 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM
That's about how I handle it.

My sister used to point out physical flaws I had when we were growing up--usually with a malicious edge to it. I'm glad she grew out of that spitefulness.

Now she has a way with "innocently" pointing out flaws I have while pointing out that she doesn't have them. One is that I have more underarm hair than her, "Why does yours grow from here to here? Mine only grows in this little bitty patch!" She has said and done this half a dozen times over the last few years, and the past few times I have said, "Yes, you have less body hair than me! You win, Hallelujah!" She finally stopped. Oh, and she's two years older than me—turned 26 this year.

Sisters. I think they do this because truly they see things in you that they wish they had.

(By the way, I love mushrooms. My DBF doesn't like them, but he dare not say a word when I'm cooking!)

My sister used to start rolling around with laughter every time she saw me just to make me think there was something stuck to me... And she's 4 years YOUNGER than me! It's a wonder I never punched her! It's all about self-esteem I think..

And btw, LOVE the signature pic!!!

irishlady
September 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have the same hair as you, just darker. I would be very angry if someone said something like that to my face. I know my hair is crap and I hate it very much, but I don't need someone telling me that.

It makes me so angry when people are in denial about the fact that they're being idiots. :rolleyes:

teal
September 20th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Wow. How rude of her!

When someone else is cooking it doesn't matter what goes in. I'll eat it, even if I don't like it. I'm sure I wasn't always that way, but I am now and that's the main thing.

Elia
September 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Oh older sisters. I feel you, they mean well but they can be so oblivious to how rude they're actually being. Honestly just completely disregard her, it's what I do to my older sister ;) (Who dyes her naturally beautiful red hair black.......jhdkghdfgkjnfgdfkj)

McFearless
September 20th, 2011, 05:47 PM
In your mind stop seeing thin as equal to ugly. Learn to embrace your hair for what it is. Thick is not better than thin. Healthy hair is a sign of a healthy body and that is beautiful. :)

emelnd
September 21st, 2011, 02:05 PM

Geez, how rude! It must have been very hard for you living with her.