PDA

View Full Version : My self-done hair makeover

tigereye
September 18th, 2011, 07:59 AM
So you may remember, a while ago I had a thread where I was considering a chop, layers, and highlights. And I decided that I would go for it. I have had the same, blunt cut all my life, and most of the time hovered in between mid-back and hip.
I only have a really old photo at hand to show you. Here I have blunt cut, hip-length, braid-wavy hair with a bit of a henna gloss. My hair is naturally straight, with a little wavy flick at the end, so this isnt really a fair representation.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/lost-kitty/Untitled2.png

So, after getting through the stresses of moving into my new flat, I gave it a go. I used Jamilla BAQ (a mixture of 2010 and 2011 crop), and had a go at some henna highlighting :rolleyes:. It was difficult at first, but by the time I got up to my parting it was fine. The colour is a dark-ish red, and looks very natural. depending on the light, it can either be easy to see (henna flare) or more blending in. I was rather pleased actually, because glosses normally left my hair with a slightly orange shade, but this is definitely edging more towards red. My camera, however, doesnt pick up the colour all that well, so it's kind of hard to see, but you can just about pick out some of the redder strands.:) I edited in some black dots near the root, to help you pick them out.:D
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/lost-kitty/Snapbucket/89EA7404-orig.jpg

And, now for the chop, and layers. I did the highlights first, because it would be easier than working my way around layers whilst doing the length of the strands. As I used henna, and got the colour I likes, I will hopefully only need to touch up roots now. My longest layer is around mid-back, and my shortest, nearest my face, are just below shoulder. I also have a bit of a U hemline going on, which is a new thing for me. Apparently the little flick of a wave I have in the very ends of my otherwise straight hair makes it sit nice too.I also cannot believe how much lighter my head feels.
Here's your picture (I spy some red..):
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq81/lost-kitty/P1010086.jpg

There you go! My new hairdo, and no damage!:cool:

Sunny_side_up
September 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Oh wow what a change! Your hair looked pretty before and after it must feel alot lighter and it does look beautiful! Its around the length that i would like to get to(well, planning on bsl and then see if i wanna keep growing). So healthy looking and such glorious shine and i think the colouring is fab. :)

tigereye
September 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you! It feels amazing, and so healthy. My ends don't feel as dry anymore, and I love the little flare I get when the sun comes out.
Good luck on growing your hair. Your avatar picture has such a lovely colour :)

spidermom
September 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Your hair looks beautiful.

Lostsoule77
September 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It looks great! It even looks shinier, though I think that's the natural lighting & straight hair. I'm glad you're so happy with it. :)

kanaka
September 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM
your hair looks awesome!

BlazingHeart
September 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I think both pics look great. So glad you're happy with the changes you made!

~Blaze

tigereye
September 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Thank you everyone!
Couldnt have done it without you all. Especially for all the help you all gave me in henna, self-trimming and amazing moisture treatments. :D

lapushka
September 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Amazing looking hair, even more amazing that you did it all yourself. :applause

jojo
September 18th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and thick wow girl your hair rocks :rockerdud

Sunny_side_up
September 18th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks, my natural colour in my avatar, havn't dyed in years. I'm kinda tempted to try out henna:eyebrows: You did a fabulous job all by yourself! :thumbsup: After growing out layers i recently got my mum to give me some! Enjoying layers again woohoo :D