PDA

View Full Version : pink streaks

atlantaz3
September 17th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Ok call it a 50's mid life crisis thing but I'm really wanting a few pink streaks in my hair. The dh is dead set against it and it probably won't go over well at my job either. But I think if I put them in an under layer and just do three or four streaks I can get over it. My hair dresser said extensions rather than dye. I'm a bit concerned about where the extensions will be glued in but also figure that will be the easiest to have taken out when I hopefully quickly get over them. I have highlights which will be redone the first of October when I want to have the pink put in. I'm also going to let her layer the rest of my hair as in the spring we did side layers and a couple of lower layers in the back. I like that I have less weight to my hair, but don't understand why the layers are tangling more than when it was long!
So any suggestions for the pink streaks, starting the two week period!

UltraBella
September 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I vote for pink feather extensions and the bead that crimps them is pretty easy on your hair :)

Miss Maisie
September 17th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I really want purple streaks in my hair. My hair is super dark and to get it the color I want I'd have to bleach, which I'm not willing to do. However! I found several places on Etsy that will do extensions attached to a comb that you can just pop right in. I'm going to invest in those.

That might be a solution to gluing them in!

ghilliegirl_an
September 17th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Your hair looks pretty blond in the picture, I would get some hot pink semi or demi permanent hair dye like special FX or manic panic, that way you have your pink but if you decide you don't like it it will fade in a month or so. The clip on extensions mentioned above are also a good idea, manic panic makes extra long ones if the regular 12 inch aren't long enough.

-Ashley

kaned_ferret
September 18th, 2011, 03:02 AM
you can either make some clip-in streaks, or use micro rings, both are much nicer on the hair than using bonding glue :)

longhairedlady
September 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I would go with some clip in extensions, that way if you change your mind its not permanant and there will be no damage.

MinderMutsig
September 18th, 2011, 03:29 AM
No suggestions but I just want to say go for it! Your husband and your coworkers will get over it.

Darscilla
September 18th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I would go with some clip in extensions, that way if you change your mind its not permanant and there will be no damage.

Yes, if you got some clip in pieces, maybe you could take them out for work? Hubby can lump it ;)

mrs_coffee
September 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM
My friend has a hot pink streak she clips into her hair and takes out for work. I love it.

QueenJoey
September 18th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I'm getting pink streaks come October for breast cancer awareness. A few of my strands are already tie dyed, and I absolutely love it. I've never done anything so daring to my hair.

Do what you want, it's your hair. And FWI, I stripped the color from my hair, and it's not as damaged as one would think. In fact, it doesn't seem like it suffered any damage at all. Just don't do it too much, or it will feel like straw, like my poor sister's hair.

Lostsoule77
September 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I think pink streaks would look awesome in your hair! I agree that your job wouldn't be happy with them, my job forbids it. When i wanted my hair blue (got purple instead) my mom said it couldn't be seen. I did the undercarriage like you are thinking. It was temporary dye so it washed out. When my hair was down you couldn't see it. In braids and buns it looked gorgeous. I did the entire undercarriage so with streaks you could hide them in your updos for work and show them for when you want to. Your husband will get over it.

You could always go for the extensions too. My cousins do that all the time with streaks and the feathers. It looks really good and you could get brighter colors than you might want to in dye. :)

I say go for it in one form or another. We usually only regret what we didn't do, not what we did. :) Good luck and make sure to post pictures if you do it.

atlantaz3
September 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Someone else recommended feathers to me, I need to look further into those.
Thanks for all the responses I Agee we regret what we didn't do more than what we do! Now to find out if my hair dresser can do feathers! Plus where do you get the clip ins? What a great way to try it out!

Airmide
September 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I think you can buy the clip in extensions from ebay? I've been saving my sheds and am hoping to make my own. I've been learning a lot from the pink hair community on livejournal.

It will depend on what shade of pink you want. If you want a more saturated shade, you may be able to get away without bleaching much, if any. If you want a baby pink (as I do) then the hair has to be as near to white as possible or it'll look more orange/salmon than pink. So that requires a lot of bleaching and toning before dying.

Pink is also the most difficult shade to get rid of! If you're not positive you want to keep it, go with something like Manic Panic as that seems to fade more quickly. If you want to keep it, then Special Effects Atomic Pink is supposed to be the best, and you can achieve different shades by mixing it with varying amounts of any white conditioner.

mrs_coffee
September 19th, 2011, 04:47 AM
My friend made her extension(s). They sell the hair and the clips at Sally's and there are some tutorial videos on YouTube that tell you how to make them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3ENNw1VB4&feature=related

Airmide
September 19th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that tutorial!! Since I'm making my own from sheds the part I'm most nervous about is how to get them onto the ribbon for the wefts. I know they're sewn, but it's hard to imagine how that could keep them secure! I've seen it done by folding the hair in half and sewing over the middle, but then you lose half the length.

And boy, I hope those clips will stay in without hairspray and teasing, or I'll have done a lot of work for nothing. No way am I doing that to my hair!

MandyBeth
September 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Puppycatmeow on etsy is AWESOME!!!!

Hot pink (http://www.etsy.com/listing/58151579/long-2-hot-pink-colored-hair-extensions)

Bubblegum Pink (http://www.etsy.com/listing/58151586/long-extensions-hair-human-hair)

Those suckers LAST extremely well, no damage, and they look real.

Lianna
September 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'd go with clip-ins at first, or if you want some really temporary...like 1 wash, I think you can buy it from a spray can. :D Hmm...I'd be into that myself. *wonders*

Then if you really want to keep them, you can do something permanent.

ETA:
Lots of colors in this ebay link and it's $2 each (human hair).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colored-Clip-Extensions-x1-human-punk-emo-scene-hott-/250894522193?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&var=&hash=item80115b2cc1

Example of color in a can (will work with hair light enough, which yours seem to be):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyond-Zone-Air-Head-PINK-Temporary-Funky-Hair-Color-Bomb-Spray-New-Can-/330606398097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf9ad4a91

mrs_coffee
September 19th, 2011, 01:58 PM
And boy, I hope those clips will stay in without hairspray and teasing, or I'll have done a lot of work for nothing. No way am I doing that to my hair!

Heather (my friend) doesn't tease her hair and the clips stay in fine for her.

Kyla
September 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I have some feathers in my hair, and I love them. They're easily removable, and very low maintenance. I highly recommend them if you're looking for streaks :)

GlassWidow
September 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I have pink clip in extensions that I got from Hot Topic, and I love playing with them! They go in with a metal comb that snaps in like a barrette, and can be styled with low-heat (otherwise they are stick straight). My only complaint is that the comb is black and my hair is not, so getting it to blend can sometimes be a challenge.

QueenJoey mentioned this, too - I just got an e-mail from my salon talking about the pink extensions they will be doing for breast cancer awareness month. So, if you're starting your two week wait, it's perfect timing!

I'm intrigued by the feathers, too. A friend of mind has a feather in her short hair and it's so cute. The I did see a longhair this weekend, though, with a feather extension that was sticking straight up off the top of her head because it didn't sit right in her updo. So, I guess placement of the extension is key if you plan to wear your hair up at all!