PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Hair Down Dare (with pics!)

Lollipop
September 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone!

So I did a search for threads about challenging yourself to wear your hair down, and I found a few. However, they were short-lived and several years old, so I didn't feel right reviving them for my purposes:o.

Let me explain; I just finished touching up my sister's roots, so of course we talked about hair. The two of us have totally different ideas and hair types. We're both f/m, ii, but hers is straight and bleached (almost white), mine is curly and hennaed (almost black). I took this opportunity to chastise her for the fact that she flatirons and gets a Brazilian Blowout done on her 1a hair. Big sis didn't want to take my hair advice about using cocnut oil and tring to get her hair healthy, which would negate her need to heavily style her hair. Then she went on to chastise me for growing my hair out but wearing it up all the time :rolleyes:.

SO, big sis issued a dare! She dared me to wear my hair down for a week, starting sunday night (I shower in the evenings). I have to wear it loose, 24/7, even at nighttime. No accent braids, half-ups, or braided headbands are allowed. She will confiscate my hairpins, hair ties, hair clips, and hairsticks :eek:. I am limited to two, mini-claw clips to keep my hair out of my face. I was going to refuse, because I have no reason to listen to her, but I decided to go through with it for several reasons.

The first being that this is the perfect week. I recently got a biopsy done on my foot, so for the next week I am not allowed to participate in gym class. Also, we will be starting swim gym soon, and I have no idea what that is going to do to my hair. Third, I haven't seen my natural curl pattern in a while (the one in my avatar and albums). And fourth, snice my hair is around BSL, wearing my hair down will become progressively more complicated.

During this week, I will cowash daily using Whole Foods Brand Herbal Mint Conditioner, and style with Kinky Curly Curling Custard (I am to lazy to deal with my cheaper go-to, flaxseed gel). I will do this at night and sleep with my Curlease towel spread over my pillow. I never got the hang of successful plopping/plunking, so what I do is lay my head over my towel so that the underside is against the towel. This way, the top dries with no frizz. This is the plan, and it sounds a bit complicated, but I did this daily with shoulder-length hair and it is quite easy once you get the hang of it :cool:.

I am posting on the LHC because I am determined to finish this dare. My sister doesn't think that I can do it, and I want to prove her wrong. To help keep me going, I will post 2 pictures a day: My almost-dry, perfect morning hair and my messed up, end-of-the-school-day hair. Oh, and if I can do this she has to take some of my hair advice, which means I will finally get coconut oil into her hair :eyebrows:.

If there are any other perptual bunners or incessant braiders that want to join me in this dare, feel free to post stories and pics! I will try to keep this thread going past the week, and experiment with different types of curls (sockbun curls for example). I will do my best to keep up, and I know how much everybody enjoys pictures ;), so I'll do the first pic of the dare bright and early Monday morning :).

spidermom
September 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Have fun. My hair will be safely up.

longhairedlady
September 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Sounds like fun! If it gets her to start taking your hair advice then I say its all worth it! :)

Lostsoule77
September 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I tend to wear my hair down at least part of the weekend, but I could never stand it during the week. I can't even stand it for a whole day on the weekend. I've attempted a half up during the week and while I'm at work it just drives me nuts and I put it up anyway. Then again my hair is just past hip. At bsl I think you can do it and since it's only a week it shouldn't be too bad. I think it's probably worth it to help your sister's tortured hair out a bit. The things we won't do for our siblings! Good luck! :)

Lollipop
September 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the responses :)

I have a love/hate relationship with my sister's hair; I hate that she damages it so much, but on the other hand, she enjoys the blonde a lot and now that she gets it done in a salon, it looks pretty. Although it is frustrating that her solution to the increase in frizz is an increase in chemical processes and heat. I would love to help her get to a point where she doesn't have to spend 30 minutes styling her hair for whenever she leaves the house. At least she washes it twice a week and tries to cut down on manipulation, and she has even kidnapped my tangle teezer (she's getting one as a birthday gift :D). I have french braided her hair a few times, and it is ver difficult to section-it's like the hairs are stuck together, even if there are no tangles.

But I digress. I have been wearing my hair up almost exclusively for the last 4 years, so wearing it down is really a challenge. I love how it looks down, and my friends really love to "sproing" the curls, so it really brightens my day whenever I bother with it. It also has to do with socializing a bit for me. I tend to ignore the rest of my peers and listen to music or read while people talk to each other, and whenever I wear my hair down I spend more time with friends and talking to random strangers. It's like I'm more approachable when I'm not a tight-bunned, mean lady in training :rolleyes:.

If I make it through the week, it will be getting two birds with one stone ;).

Rosake
September 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
This would be the easiest thing for me ever, I always wear it down :D and there was a time for me when I didn't braid it at night. I'm sure you can do it!

Libbylou
September 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Good luck to you, I look forward to seeing your photos.

Messyhair
September 17th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I would die at work because the air conditioning doesn't work and wearing a labcoat nearly makes me pass out from overheating as it is. :P Hope it's easier for you!

Shelly
September 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Good luck and have fun. If my hair were about 15" shorter I would join you but at 37", it would be a slight pain in the arse to wear it down for a week. Especially with my job.

UltraBella
September 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I would absolutely love the wear mine down for an entire week, except to sleep. Unfortunately, I have to have it up while I am at work :(

lacefrost
September 17th, 2011, 11:28 PM
This sounds like so much fun!

Maktub
September 17th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Good for you, enjoy ! I love your hair by the way ! Can't wait to see the pictures !! (:

luxepiggy
September 18th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Woo hoo! Piggy's behind you 100% . . . you can do it! Since finding LHC, the condition of my hair has improved so much that I've actually started wearing my hair down just about every day. I've always slept with it loose, as well. 'Cos piggies are daring like that (^(oo)^)v

swetiepeti
September 18th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I wear mine down 99% of the time I'm not at work. However I have to wear mine up for work . The only time I wear braids at home is if I'm sick or over oiled, and the occaional night I do an updo for a night out. Forgot sports. I always braid before swimming, kayaking, hiking and biking and such

pepperminttea
September 18th, 2011, 04:21 AM
A whole week including night-time! :shocked:

I fully admit, I couldn't do it. I'd drive myself bonkers, and that's before the detangling and the more frequent hair washing. But I will be watching this thread with interest, good luck! :drama:

WildEagle
September 18th, 2011, 04:49 AM
This does sound like fun, and because it's a rare thing for you to do, I really hope you enjoy it!!
I wear mine down mostly, but since I found TLHC I have started to wear it up more often, I think I'm getting hair paranoid now about breakages! :o

I hope your dare is an enjoyable experience!

Tealpuffin
September 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Good luck! I have decided I am going to join you! I wear my hair up 99% of the time and It would be nice to wear it down. The only issue I have is the rain :P but I stick it out! x

bunzfan
September 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Good luck to you i'm with pepperminttea i just couldn't do it i feel uncomfortable with it down, it also makes me very hot.

Syrena
September 18th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Good luck to you! I donīt know if I would be able to make it. My hair gets very stringy when it is down and I would be tempted to comb it like every hour. :confused:

CurlyMopTop
September 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Good luck lollypop! I would join you but I already spent most of the summer with it down and I just committed about a week ago to wear it up for the next 7 months or so with a length check around Christmas time. :( Too bad because I think that you and I could be hair twins! Your hair is probably a little bit longer than mine but if I had to guess, only by a couple of inches or so. :)

jojo
September 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
My hair will be up, too long to wear down 24/7. good luck

Pantha
September 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I so hope you succeed, good luck. I would love to be able to do that but with the length it's very impractical, and would make my work near imposible not to mention getting it stuck on and too everything at work would not be good for my hair or for that matter my job :D I don't think my boss would see the funny side. I used to always wear my hair down (except for PE)when I was at school and when I started uni but for the most part it was at its longest tailbone, and school doesnt entail a lot of manual work.

oktobergoud
September 18th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Good luck! :)
I always find it funny that when you have long hair, it seems like a challenge to wear your hair down. While I still have supershort hair and wear my hair 'down' all the time and I can't WAIT till I can make a ponytail haha! It's like the other way around, wearing hair up is nearly impossible still ;)

jasper
September 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
:drama:waiting for pics.

I think I would have the scissors out before the end of a week if I couldn't put my hair up. I can't think of a week at any length longer than chin that didn't involve some time with my hair up.

bluesnowflake
September 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Have fun! I, too, am guilty of always wearing it up, but I kind of like it. I might wear it down once this week because it's been really nice lately, but if I wear it down all the time it gets really dry and tangled. I definitely couldn't handle it for a full week, especially at night. It's hard to believe my hair-down attitude has changed so much. A year ago I wore it up maybe once a month!

celebriangel
September 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I...couldn't do it.

Too much effort *yawn*.

NotInPortland
September 18th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Good luck on your dare! I love wearing my hair down and wore it down all the time when I was at BSL but now that I'm just a bit past waist I can't stand having it down all the time because it really is starting to get in the way! And wearing it down in bed, no way, the thought of all the de tangling I would have to do gives me nightmares :p Enjoy your week with it down, I think at BSL it's more managable to keep it down as it doesn't get in the way too much :)

Evalea
September 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I am thinking of joining you...:hmm:

I almost always wear my hair up and people give me a hard time about it. It will be up mostly at night, though - I get bun waves that way. And my long bands will be pulled back, so kinda half-up, but it will not be in a bun, braid, or twist until a week from tomorrow!

teal
September 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I confess, I couldn't do it either. Even if sleeping with hair around my neck wouldn't drive me nuts, the baby has a helluva grip. Even with it up in a bun I've had to spend time de-fisting my hair. Ow, ow, oww...

That said, I do want to see the pictures! :bounce:

racrane
September 18th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I will see your pictures but I have to keep my hair up. I have several dance classes and rehearsals throughout the week. I can't have my hair down in my face for that. It's amazing how I'm used to hair being up now. My boyfriend loves my hair down. Which is why when I saw him I put it in a simple "scrunchie" bun because when he takes it down while we watch t.v. I can put it up again. :D

Have fun this week.

freecelt
September 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hm...I'm thinking I'm thinking... I'll have to think about it. I'm off shopping w a friend tomorrow if I can get through that I can probably get through the rest of the week. lol, when I 1st joined LHC I thought "how do people wear there hair up all the time? What will I do with it if it's not up?" Now I'm thinking, "how will I wear it down? What will I do with it?" :P

Remyy
September 18th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I like this idea a lot actually! I wish I were happier with the condition of my hair or else I WOULD wear it down all the time! I think its beautiful to show off hair when its down :). Good luck!

LaurelSpring
September 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM
A week at bsl....no problem! :thumbsup:

At tailbone.... not going to happen so much!

Lollipop
September 19th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry for the belated post!

Last night was the beginning of the dare. I surrendered my hair tools and washed my (oiled) hair. After I finished scrunching in the gel, I got ready for bed. This is my hair this morning in natural light:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2460-1.jpg

Same thing, but with flash:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2457-1.jpg

And then I went to school! I dealt with my hair pretty well, and remembered to bring it to the front when putting on a book bag. For the most part it only bothered me when I was idle. I got several compliments and shocked reactions. Since I put my hair up while it's wet, most people don't realize it's curly, or how long it is. The funniest reaction was when I walked into English class, the girl that sits next to me exclaimed "Lollipop! You're beautiful!" The shock/surprise/awe in her voice combined with her expression were priceless :D. In gym, I got to limp around, do push-ups, and toss a football around, which was when my hair got annoying, but it was no big deal. As a finale to the first day of the dare, it rained (well, drizzed) while I walked home :rolleyes:. Here is my hair after I dried off a bit and ate:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2469-1.jpg

and since everything looks better with flash:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2477-1.jpg

So, after sleeping on it, fiddling with it all day, changing clothes 3 times (for school, and into/out of gym clothes), having my friends play with it, and putting my hoodie on/taking it off a dozen times as I walked through the rain, that's what we're left with. Not a bad first day ;).

teal
September 19th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Yay! :cheer:

Looks great! Looking forward to six more days! And then before and after pics of your sister's hair after you've had your hand at it!! :twisted:

jasper
September 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Beautiful curls!

I used to wear my hair down at that length, but not for a whole week, and I am pretty sure mine never looked as good as yours!

Tealpuffin
September 19th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Gah! I barely lasted a day as the frizz was unbearable :( I hope you last longer than me :P BTW your hair is lovely x

Airmide
September 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
You're off to a great start! I don't think I'd ever be able to join you. I'd need a *least* a scrunchie! I used to wear my hair in a scrunchie all the time including to bed. But after I found LHC I keep it up 95% of the time I'm at home including sleeping, and that's drastically reduced damage and allowed me to grow from my 10 year stall of thigh length, down to calf, slowly but surely. I do still wear my hair down a lot when I go out, but almost always at least in a half up or ponytail and put it up further for eating.

Fairy tale
September 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Congrats! Your hair is beautiful!!!!! Hope you last!:disco:

melbournian
September 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Oh wow, your hair is wonderful! I wish I had curls like that. Good luck for the rest of your week!

freecelt
September 19th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I kinda thought about trying it. I made it till dinner. IT was hot and humid and...I tied it in a knot. I admire you for trying and wish you luck Lollipop!

Maktub
September 19th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Your hair is beyond gorgeous !!!

luxepiggy
September 19th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Woo hoo! Sounds like a successful first day! \(^(oo)^)/

I would post pics of my own morning/evening hair, but that would be really boring, as you'd just get 7 sets of identical photos :p

<3OnHerSleeve
September 19th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Wow, drop dead gorgeous curls!!!! When my hair was longer I loved wearing my hair out on its good days. Your curls were as gorgeous in the evening as they were in the morning!

bluesnowflake
September 19th, 2011, 08:20 PM
love your curls! gorgeous. I wish I could leave my hair down all day and have it still look like that!

Lostsoule77
September 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I can't believe it still looked so good after a whole day! I think you can keep doing it. :)

Lollipop
September 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Gah! I barely lasted a day as the frizz was unbearable :( I hope you last longer than me :P BTW your hair is lovely x

Hi Tealpuffin, would you mind telling me how you style your hair? do you just let it air dry or do you use something (like a gel, creme, conditioner, or aloe)? It can take a while to find what's best for you, and weather changes can be a pain :P. For example, my hair can look more "perfect" with a regular gel, but it doesn't seem to wear as nicely for a whole day. That's why I like if I use something something that doesn't have a very hard hold (Kinky Curly or my flaxseed gel). Also, a tip that works for me, is to fix it with a bit of water. Today after gym, I ran my hands under the tap, just so that they're wet, and smoothed it over the top once. I wet my hands two more times and ran it down the length and scrunched for good measure. It takes 30 seconds, and if you don't get carried away, it can dry in 5 minutes. I have made homeade spritzes that I sprayed and scrunched into my hair so that I can wear my hair down for two days without starting thw whole thing over, but I can't remember what I used. Don't get down on yourself, it can be difficult to find what's best for you, but honestly, the best thing that I did for my hair was accepted frizz. Yes, I'm going to get it, and yes my hair will be messed up by the end of the day, but who says that it looks bad? When my hair is semi-damp and "perfect" in pictures, in real life it doesn't look very flattering. by the end of the day my hair suits my face better than at the beginning, but it is messier. It's kind of cool since I don't have to choose between the two and my hair looks different as the day goes on ;).

Wow, that took a while! I will post pics soon, I just have to upload them. Sorry I haven't been answering posts; school has the anoying tendency to cut into my LHC time :o.

islandboo
September 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
You do have beautiful hair! Good luck keeping up with the challenge - I will be interested to hear how you deal with it as the week goes on :)

GeoJ
September 20th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Your hair looks so beautiful! Enjoy the challenge.

I used to wear my hair down most of the time when it was BSL. But I can't join you in the challenge because I do a lot of physical activities every week (martial arts, running, BodyRock workouts, horseback riding).

Lollipop
September 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
K, day 2!

My morning hair:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2490.jpg

Zounds, it takes forever to dry! I keep comparing wearing shoulder-length hair down to BSL, and it is much more complicated! Or maybe I'm just not used to it? Anyway, once upon a time, my hair would be completely dry when I woke up. Ah, well, such is life.

At the end of the day:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2508-1.jpg

And since everything is better with flash :p:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2505-1.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it's holding up; I will have to try for 2-day hair, although I am not sure if it can survive that much wear.

To anybody that wears their hair down, how does it hold up throughout the day for you?

freecelt
September 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
To anybody that wears their hair down, how dose it hold up throughout the day for you?
It gets REALLY super frizzy and progressively puffier unless I douse it with coconut oil and aloe. Mhhh..I wonder if I could control the poof and the frizz if I would be more patient when it's down? * continues pondering *

Eden75
September 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Good luck this week!

freckles
September 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
wow, your hair is gorgeous, and such a fun challenge!

Evalea
September 20th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I am thinking of joining you...:hmm:

I'm probably going to fall off the wagon - I made it yesterday and today, but I am worried because most of the time when I wear it down I use heat. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings...

AnqeIicDemise
September 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I tend to wear my hair down when its cold. Its the perfect heated blanket. LOL

ddiana1979
September 20th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I used to wear my hair down a lot when it was BSL, but now it's getting to the point where it gets stuck in things, trapped behind my back when I sit, etc. Plus the five-year-old twins I nanny for would LOVE to get it all tangled up and ratted. Looking forward to the pictures though.

lunalesca
September 21st, 2011, 04:01 AM
Good luck for you, I only support you at night by wearing down ;)

Sweetie
September 21st, 2011, 05:20 AM
I would have no difficult at all - my hair is down most of the time (actually, I struggle to keep them up!)
good luck!

swetiepeti
September 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
The first time I actually braided my hair was in the military. Before then, my tailbone length hair was always down. Whenever I got head jerked from sitting on it I'd go get an inch or two cut off. But then prior to that, like another poster, I just went to school

Lapin
September 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM
racrane, that's so sweet!

MasCat
September 21st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Your hair is gorgeous!

MaryRose
September 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
Your hair is gorgeous. I remember my days in school with BSL hair and it never looked that good by the end of the day. Congrats on a good first day.

cocolady
September 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have BSL hair and I only wear it up in the summer. It doesn't bother me at all and I look much better with my hair down. It suits me and it's the only reason why I have long hair.

Mrspuddinhead
September 21st, 2011, 05:25 PM
K, day 2!

My morning hair:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2490.jpg

Zounds, it takes forever to dry! I keep comparing wearing shoulder-length hair down to BSL, and it is much more complicated! Or maybe I'm just not used to it? Anyway, once upon a time, my hair would be completely dry when I woke up. Ah, well, such is life.

At the end of the day:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2508-1.jpg

And since everything is better with flash :p:

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff329/Bloodsinger4/IMG_2505-1.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it's holding up; I will have to try for 2-day hair, although I am not sure if it can survive that much wear.

To anybody that wears their hair down, how does it hold up throughout the day for you?

I usually wear my hair down on a daily bases unless I'm cooking dinner then it's up in a pony. I need to get in the habit of braiding my hair before bedtime because my honey has a bad habit of rolling over on it and pulling the living be-jesus out of it. For the most part it holds up really well, then again my hair is only 25", 3" past BSL. Perhaps I will think differently when I reach my goal of classic length. Weather is starting to finally feel more like fall here in Cali, Cali so it isn't so bad wearing it down outside. If I'm going to have long hair I'm going to enjoy it!! :)

Tealpuffin
September 21st, 2011, 05:32 PM
I am sorry I had to wear my hair up today :( the frizz was overwhelming x

teal
September 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
I am sorry I had to wear my hair up today :( the frizz was overwhelming x

Oh no! :( Are you going to continue the challenge? :luke:

Dorothy
September 21st, 2011, 05:57 PM
During winter, I wear my hair down about every other day - I wash it and then wear it down, then 2nd day I wear it up, then wash. My hair is pretty straight and mid back/can I call this waist length, so it doesn't tangle too bad, especially if I keep camillia oil on it.

But then I'm a therapist, which is a completely sedentary job, which offers lots of opportunities for gentle fingercombing while pondering what the client has said. I must admit to pressing hair advice on my clients if they say ANYTHING about hair at all. I try to keep this under control. I've taught people how to bun in DBT group, and convinced several people of the value of spin pins. That's about as far as I can get them to go. But they do have other problems and concerns in their lives....:o

celebriangel
September 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
Oh, my. Your hair is completely drop-dead gorgeous.

I net it'll look even more stunning as it gets longer!

Airmide
September 21st, 2011, 07:50 PM
It's holding up gorgeously so far! Your curls are so beautiful. I wear mine down when going out sometimes, but I comb or brush it off and on, and play with it with my fingers a decent amount. Mine is just wavy, and I think it must be more difficult for curlies.

Inkwell
September 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
Oh my goodness. Lollipop, it's been said before but I'm going to jump in and repeat it, your hair is absolutely, stunningly beautiful. It's definitely similar in texture to my daughter's hair but her's has multiple loose areas as well as the tight spirals. So gorgeous.

RedDevil
September 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM
Yea i'm obsessed with your curls as well...;)

ladylovecraft
September 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM
During winter, I wear my hair down about every other day - I wash it and then wear it down, then 2nd day I wear it up, then wash. My hair is pretty straight and mid back/can I call this waist length, so it doesn't tangle too bad, especially if I keep camillia oil on it.

But then I'm a therapist, which is a completely sedentary job, which offers lots of opportunities for gentle fingercombing while pondering what the client has said. I must admit to pressing hair advice on my clients if they say ANYTHING about hair at all. I try to keep this under control. I've taught people how to bun in DBT group, and convinced several people of the value of spin pins. That's about as far as I can get them to go. But they do have other problems and concerns in their lives....:o

HAHAH! This is AWESOME! I work in the psych field myself (I'm an RN, but plan to go for my DNP) so I can't wait to start subtly encouraging good hair behavior in my patients... hehee <3

Totally off topic here... Sorry, just had to say something.

Lostsoule77
September 21st, 2011, 09:34 PM
Lollipop, How'd your third day go?