PDA

View Full Version : Highlights and conefree routine?

BrightEyes
September 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hi everyone!

I have a little concern that I would like some advice with. After going back and forth for a long time, I've decided to keep my highlights. Simply because they make me happy:). I know that bleach is damaging and drying, so I have been doing regular SMTs and other DTs to get moisture into my hair.

In the past when I used cones I had yucky breakouts, itchies, and flakes on my scalp, along with limp hair when I airdried. I recently decided to try a conefree routine, and I love how light and soft my hair is. My waves are much more bouncy. In addition, the scalp issues are completely gone. I'm very happy with this routine. When I first started conefree, I had a hard time detangling. But detangling in the shower with conditioner in my hair has solved that.

But I am worried about continuing this conefree routine on my highlighted hair. It seems that cones are helpful for chemically treated and damaged hair. Although I am having success now, I am wondering if I will begin to see more damage in the future if I don't use cones regularly to give slip and some protection to my bleached hair. Along with the SMTs and DTs, I do use oils and Nightblooming's Panacea regularly.

So my question is: will I be increasing the dryness and damage over time by not using cones? I'm welcome to any advice.

sipnsun
September 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hi, I also bleach my hair and have given up cones. I used to have problems with dry scalp, flakes, and very dry ends but since giving up coney shampoos and conditioners, my hair has really improved! I've been cone free for years and I oil regularly and dust my ends every few months. So far, so good!

Jcv-Shelley
September 17th, 2011, 07:48 PM
About a year or so ago I decided to get highlights. Im glad yours made you happy, but I just can't keep up with my roots. The reason why going cone-free is so much better for you might be because you have fine hair. Cones can also clog your scalp (or maybe you were having a reaction), which might explains why cones and your hair weren't getting along. I've been switching between cones and no cones. Cones do have some slip and more protection (since it's providing a barrier for your strands), but you can't go between washes as long as you could if you were cone-free. Don't worry about your hair getting more tangly in the shower. Their just isn't that slip your used to. But like you said using conditioner is a great way to detangle. I prefer to use oil. In my personal experience, I couldn't tell much of a difference when I was or wasn't using cones. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. It all depends on mood for me. In short, no, unless your hair was really damaged I don't think you really need to use cones. But of course, it all depends on trail-and-error.

BrightEyes
September 20th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hi, I also bleach my hair and have given up cones. I used to have problems with dry scalp, flakes, and very dry ends but since giving up coney shampoos and conditioners, my hair has really improved! I've been cone free for years and I oil regularly and dust my ends every few months. So far, so good!

Thank you!! Your response is very reassuring. I'm hoping that as long as I use oils and do regular DTs my hair will be fine and hopefully improve:). My scalp feels so wondeful after giving up cones, I'm amazed at the difference.

BrightEyes
September 20th, 2011, 10:10 PM
About a year or so ago I decided to get highlights. Im glad yours made you happy, but I just can't keep up with my roots. The reason why going cone-free is so much better for you might be because you have fine hair. Cones can also clog your scalp (or maybe you were having a reaction), which might explains why cones and your hair weren't getting along. I've been switching between cones and no cones. Cones do have some slip and more protection (since it's providing a barrier for your strands), but you can't go between washes as long as you could if you were cone-free. Don't worry about your hair getting more tangly in the shower. Their just isn't that slip your used to. But like you said using conditioner is a great way to detangle. I prefer to use oil. In my personal experience, I couldn't tell much of a difference when I was or wasn't using cones. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. It all depends on mood for me. In short, no, unless your hair was really damaged I don't think you really need to use cones. But of course, it all depends on trail-and-error.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the cones were clogging my scalp. When I went off cones my scalp improved almost overnight.

Mmmm, I haven't thought about alternating not using cones and using them. I may have to try that out sometime:). Thank you.

justgreen
September 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'm mostly cone free and I get regular highlights (every 4-6 weeks) using 40 vol. I've been bleaching since way before I joined here in 2005 and my hair touches the seat when I sit on my hardwood dining room chair. Carolyn is another long time highlighter and her hair is 36" long.

I've been having great success for over a year with L'oreal Everpure Moisture, for bleached /colored hair. It is sulphate free and the conditioner is cone free. I do sometimes use a HOLY GRAIL conditioner, Sebastian Volume, but it's a light cone. My other regular shampoo is Nature's GAte Original Herbal. I dilute all my shampoos. I haven't used full strength in over four years.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I hardly ever apply conditioner to my scalp.

BrightEyes
September 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'm mostly cone free and I get regular highlights (every 4-6 weeks) using 40 vol. I've been bleaching since way before I joined here in 2005 and my hair touches the seat when I sit on my hardwood dining room chair. Carolyn is another long time highlighter and her hair is 36" long.

I've been having great success for over a year with L'oreal Everpure Moisture, for bleached /colored hair. It is sulphate free and the conditioner is cone free. I do sometimes use a HOLY GRAIL conditioner, Sebastian Volume, but it's a light cone. My other regular shampoo is Nature's GAte Original Herbal. I dilute all my shampoos. I haven't used full strength in over four years.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I hardly ever apply conditioner to my scalp.

Thank you for your advice, justgreen. I've admired your hair, as well as Carolyn's, for a long time:).

I've read a lot about diluting shampoo. I'm going to have to try that out.

einna
September 22nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
I dont really know if cone free means more damage, I am waiting to find out myself really. Even though my hair is almost virgin, it still i pretty fine, dry and fragile. I love CO and I think for me personally, more exposure to the environment is "cancelled out" by not using sulphate shampoos. Also, I feel that DT`s work better because there is no cones stopping the moisture from entering.

My advice would be to wait and see. If you feel you need cones, you can use something like a cony serum only on your canopy/bleached parts, and keep it away from your scalp.