PDA

View Full Version : Remember pin curls? I curled my hair with them...epic fail!

swearnsue
September 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I remember 40 years ago my mother putting my hair into pin curls, so I thought I would try it last night. The reason I wanted to do that wasn't for the curls really, but as a way a very shortie like me could get the same effect as the long hairs when they braid their hair after washing it. Like a moisurizing effect. I wanted my hair to dry slowly...I don't know really. Anyway, my hair didn't really want to bend into a curl but I used bobby pins and tried to pin curl my hair. My hair dried a couple of hours later and I took out the pins and what a mess! My hair is OK it just looks really funny, sticking out everywhere. Oh well, it was worth a try. My husband says I look like Christopher Walken!:o:rolleyes:

FrozenBritannia
September 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I tried rag curls once when my hair was longer, and I looked like curly sue! The ringlets were really tight on the bottom and looser on top!

doodlebug66
September 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I remember my mom pin curling my hair when I was young. You sound like you are starting at the same length as I am, I cut a pixie 3 weeks ago and my hair was just past my shoulders.
Good luck on getting to your goal by your 62nd birthday. I will follow your progress and cheer you on.

swearnsue
September 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I remember my mom pin curling my hair when I was young. You sound like you are starting at the same length as I am, I cut a pixie 3 weeks ago and my hair was just past my shoulders.
Good luck on getting to your goal by your 62nd birthday. I will follow your progress and cheer you on.

Thanks doodlebug66! Isn't the length between pixie and shoulders just the worst! Too short to curl or pony but long enough to get in your eyes:cheese:

Libbylou
September 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I remember doing this when I was about 15, my hair was waist length. Every one loved how just the ends were curled. That was along time ago. I'm in my mid 50's now. I want to just grow long enough to do something with. Just touches my collar bone now and has stupid layers.

supbanana
September 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I've never heard of pin curls - how do they work? I looked up a few pictures and it's very cute! I hope you keep trying. :D

Also, off topic, but I find Christopher Walken ridiculously good looking. It doesn't help you, but I'm happy to see his name mentioned! I'm a dork. :P

Miss Maisie
September 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
It's so funny you posted this today! I slept in pin curls last night, and my hair went from just below shoulder length to chin length. My hair LOVED the curls. I, however, did not. I'm going to try it again tonight, but with bigger curls. The small ones I made, while lovely, ate up all my length!

swearnsue
September 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Pin curls-take a pinch of hair and wind it around your fingertip to make a circle of wet hair strands. Then take a bobby pin and pin the circle in place against your scalp. A proper pin curl uses two bobby pins in a "X" shape. After the hair dries, take out the bobby pins and tada... little curls!

smilinjenn71
September 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I pin curled my hair when it was longer. You can YouTube it to find technique. Since my hair is super straight, I always wet-set mine, wrapped in a silk wrap and dried, overnight. Maybe this pic will show up....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3898&pictureid=50226