PDA

View Full Version : What is your long hair regimen?

infinity_girl
September 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Ok, so I have just started out on my long hair journey and I am currently just about APL :(. Anyway, I would love to know what your long hair journey/upkeep regimen is (i.e. what do you do to your hair to help it grow/stay long and healthy, what products do you use on it, how do you clean it, how do you wear it during the day/night)?

My regimen (just starting out) is as follows;

MSM - started taking this around June 2011
Biotin - just started taking this September 2011
I'm going to do CO washing with a VO5 conditioner (no shampoo or very occasional shampoo).
Will do weekly coconut oil/castor oil deep cleanses.
Scalp massage as often as I can during the day.
Using a tangle teezer and am going to buy a wooden wide tooth comb from the Body Shop.
Hope to put henna on my hair as soon as I decide where to buy it from and what colour I want to achieve.
General healthy eating to lose weight as an added side effect

julierockhead
September 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
This is a great place to get henna-
http://www.hennasooq.com/color/

I am doing many of the things you are. I am a CO washer, I use coconut oil for deep treatments, MSM, and scalp massage, and I just started coloring with henna this week. Welcome to TLHC!

Madora
September 17th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Pretty much the same since 1982:

Shampoo with the pink George Michael cream shampoo
Condition with the GM conditioner or with Tresemme Naturals (no sillicones)

Brush daily 100 strokes with a pure bbb

Wash once a month

Slight trims every 3 to 4 months

S and D once in a while

Take hair supplements

Always wear hair up in braids

Use a wide tooth comb to detangle

Use 3 inch crimped hairpins to secure all hairstyles

Safira
September 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Here´s mine:

Good conditioners and oils ( :heartbeat Panacea :heartbeat )

Henna

Wooden comb

Hairsticks

longhairedlady
September 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I take a multivitamin (Geritol complete), Evening Primrose Oil, vitamin D, C, E, liquid Bcomplex, selenium, and wheatgrass juice 1-3 times a day. I am also a vegetarian and I eat a very healthy diet. I do a heavy olive oil treatment once a week and very light oil throughout the week. I CWC once a week and CO if it needs it mid-week. I ALWAYS wear my hair up, except while sleeping but just last night am trying a new sleep style to further protect my hair (cinnamon bun on top). I am always on the lookout for what everyone else is doing to give me new ideas! :)

BlazingHeart
September 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM
CV shampoo bars, VO5 conditioner (I like the kiwi-lime one), little bit of coconut oil, straight-pin wood bristle brush.

I'm starting to try braiding it to sleep, but I can only get comfortable enough half the time - the other half, I pull the braid out and just pile my hair up above the pillow.

During the day, it goes up in a peacock twist with a flexi because it's not quite long enough to bun comfortably due to thickness.

~Blaze

Loreley
September 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
What I always do the same way:
-taking hair vitamins
-using coconut oil
-detangle with a wide tooth comb
-brush with a BBB once or twice a week (yup, I'm lazy :p)
-I usually trim monthly
-do S&D 4-5 times a month
-wear it up with a hairstick most of the time
-braid it every evening
-wash 2-3 times per week

I keep changing my washing routine. Sometimes I use silicones and sulfates, sometimes not. When I'm free of them I use Dulgon kids shampoo and GF Triple Nutrition conditioner or Garnier Natural with avocado. When I use cones my conditioner is Wella Pro Series Repair.

jojo
September 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I shampoo my hair every 3-4 days with a diluted shampoo. I use any old shampoo.

I condition with Avon's advocado and almond oil conditioner.

I clarify once a fortnight and follow with a deep condition normally a SMT or EVOO

I detangle with a body shop wooden comb and then use a pure BBB twice a day.

Avon's kids detangler is used prior to combing

I wear my hair up most days and use screw pins or hair sticks to secure.

I do not advocate biotin, have used it in the past and now have stage 2 renal failure due to this. Use with caution and always get your G.P.'s approval. I was taking this with other vitamins which also contained biotin, so please read labels carefully. although it is a water soluble, your kidneys still have to process it. Its your choice at the end of the day.

rowie
September 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I'll be hennaing my hair for the first time later tonight! Yay! I've read so much about it here in LHC and how it is only good for your hair! Here is my hair regime, and I hope it helps you.

1)WO- water only, although I might change it to organic shampoo bar from Chagrin valley, after I henna. I usually water only my hair three times a week with ACV (apple cider vinegar rinse).

2) I use coconut oil every night before bed to
a) massage my scalp as a root therapy treatment, and it feels wonderful to massage my scalp!
b) followed by oiling my ends. I do this because for me it minimizes tangles, and I've noticed after doing this routine I have minimum to no tangles and my ends look more healthy.

3) I usually finger comb whenever I can, since I have wavy hair. When my hair gets crazy on humid days, I use the body shop wooden comb. This comb is truly an investment! I love how it is wide enough that it minimizes frizz if I comb my hair.

4) I avoid products with sulfates and silicones.

5) I avoid salons like the plague. I've read so many horror stories here in LHC, and it made me realize that I should be the only one to be in control of my own hair. LHC has taught me to trust in myself.

6) I don't ever use blow dryers, and any tools that have heat.

7) I usually wash my hair on my days off where I can let my hair air dry right out of the shower. But since I am working on my MA thesis (i'm always at home now), I can pretty much wash my hair three times a week. I don't touch my hair after I have done a final rinse of cold water. I usually get dressed and leave a towel around my neck until my hair is not soaking wet, and then just let it air dry. When my hair is completely dry, I then put coconut oil in my ends. I've been doing this for almost a year and I've noticed that my hair is less frizzy.

8) Every morning when I wake up, I gently finger comb my hair, and I usually get done fast because I hardly find any tangles because my hair is well conditioned from the coconut oil.

9) I usually tie my hair before bed. I loosely tie a cloth ribbon.

10) I try not to play or touch my hair once I have done all my hair rituals.

11) I finally will add doing henna every two months for my hair ritual.

Hope this gives you a different perspective. Good luck with your journey, for I am also growing out my hair long. I started with a 1inch pixie cut in order to get virgin hair, and now I am at shoulder length hair. Happy growing!

sun-kissed
September 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
1. WO wash every four days, working on getting it down to once a week.

2. If my hair needs it, I detangle with a wide-tooth comb before taking a cold shower. As a final rinse I dump some rooibos tea over my hair, squeeze it out (no towl drying, no combing), put coconut oil on the ends, and put it in a high spin-pin bun until morning. When I wake up my hair is mostly dry, so I take it down and comb it out with my wide-tooth comb. I let my hair stay down for the first day, (because if I wore it up all night I will get headaches if it doesn't get a rest from being up.)

3. I use a BBB and wide-tooth comb twice a day, in the morning and evening.

4. I nearly always wear my hair up in a protective style; often a dutch lace crown braid, because it looks nice, stays all day, and doesn't give me headaches.

5. As I mentioned in 2, I am currently experimenting with rooibos tea for hair growth. Aside from the leave-in tea rinse, I drink several cups of iced rooibos tea a day, and spray my hair with it before bed. I just started this, so no results yet, aside from my nails growing freakishly fast.

6. Since this is summertime, I swim weekly. For swimming I first pre-wet my hair, then oil it thouroghly with coconut oil. I then put it in two low poneys to braid. This keeps my hair from being very damaged from the water, along with me having nearly no tangles when I'm through. After swimming I do a WO wash for 15-20 minutes, until I can no longer smell the pool water. Once dry I apply some coconut oil to the length.

7. I use a satain pillowcase, and sleep with my hair piled above my head because I cannot wear my hair up at night without it causing my pain. I wish I could, I get a lot of damage from me tossing at night.

8. Search & Destroy weekly with sharp scissors.

9. No heat styling or drying, no hairsprays or other product.

10. Forgetting about it, not touching it, no running my fingers through it, leaving it alone.

11. Micro-trims whenever I feel I need them, which at the moment(since my hair's so damaged) is every month or so.

YepLilly
September 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM
This is my regimen so far, it keeps changing as I'm still experimenting with different stuff:

- CWC every 2-3 days
- ACV rinses and cool water rinses.
- AVG as a leave-in (sometimes combined with others)
- Coconut oil as a pre-wash sometimes.
- Protein treatments often (my hair needs them right now)
- Moisturizing treatments (SMT)
- Cinnabuns for night (damp or dry hair). Different styles for day.
- Multivitamins, fish oils, biotin. Just started taking MSM.

julierockhead
September 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I do not advocate biotin, have used it in the past and now have stage 2 renal failure due to this. Use with caution and always get your G.P.'s approval. I was taking this with other vitamins which also contained biotin, so please read labels carefully. although it is a water soluble, your kidneys still have to process it. Its your choice at the end of the day.

Oh nooo, I am so sorry! I hope you are doing well and your kidneys will recover.

Just proves what I tell people all the time - read more, do less.

QueenJoey
September 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Good thread! I usually like going to every one's pages to check out their regimens, it would be nice to see them all in one places.

After trying out CWC, CO, WO, BS/ACV, oiling, and about a million other things, here is my current regimen that I'm really liking:

Hybrid wash with horse shampoo and horse conditioner. I'm trying to stretch washes, and I've gotten up to every 4 days. 2-3 days seems to be best, though.

Jojoba oil to damp hair. Coconut oil every once in awhile for deep moisture.

Only use wide-tooth comb. BBB makes my hair too staticy.

I take fish oil and a hair, skin, nails multivitamin. I just got a thing of DE, and I need to go buy my 3rd bottle of MSM.

I try to do scalp massage as often as possible, but I'll sometimes go a week without.

I'm starting to rub castor/grapeseed oil with 5 drops of rosemary EO into my scalp before washes.

gthlvrmx
September 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Braid my hair every night before i sleep and tie it with a satin scrunchie.
CO wash with Suave Ocean Breeze and ACV once a week(or longer, i get lazy), detangle hair afterwards with a wide tooth wooden comb so get all the shed hair out.
Wear in a bun all day with my hairstick every day. :)

S&D randomly when i feel like it's time.
Trim like once a year? Self trim now, i go by the CG way by trimming curl by curl.
It's fairly simple and i like it.

starlamelissa
September 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Here is what I do-

I take prenatal vitamins every day. One a day, actually.

I wash with unscented baby shampoo, like baby aquaphor or the walmart disney baby naturals.

I use a heavy handful of conditioner to detangle with the ingredient "cyclopentasiloxane" to ease in detangling, and I detangle in the shower. Currently Dollar General's Hydrating Herbal conditioner.

lightly towel try, and put in a scrunchie. I have a wicked awesome scrunchie collection.

On second day hair, I use some silken child moisterizing creme to tame frizzles.

I brush with a denman, and detangle with a wet look shower comb.

Ummm, sleep on a satin pillow case... and thats it.